Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis and Fez'zzz...what's the connection ?

Pages: 1 40 replies

T

So, pardon my ignorance, but here goes ....

I've been into TIKI a pretty long time...It always meant Hawai'iana and Polynesia to me...a diety of the islands...all things tropical, and of course Mid Century Americana too.....

What's the connection to the FEZ hat ?

I see lots of folks wearing fez's at Tiki events, guys in bands etc....I just don't know the connection.

Help a guy out :)

I believe part of it stems from the fact that in American pop culture the fez became associated with the partying men's private organizations/ clubs and their suppossed mystique. The element within tiki that is very much into Atomic Age pop culture picked up on the fez as an element of that era and so it became a crossover piece of attire.

or not?

Anyone else want to offer up their interpretation of this phenom?

D

Sounds good to me. That and the fact there is something fun happening when ever someone is wearing a fez.

TS

I believe this is just a crossover point. Where in the prime of the mid century, everything that seemed pure and authentic have become a brought back style. Belonging to the "Moose Lodge", functional home tiki bars, cocktail hour, all have parallels to tiki, but are not necessarily tiki itself. Its the retro mod life of the 50s and early 60's. Most people who appreciate tiki, have an appreciation for things of yesteryear and vise versa. The fez was used by the Shriners, and before becoming a Shriner, you have to belong to a masonic lodge with a certain amount of seniority. Only then can you pledge to become a shriner. There is no "direct" connection between tiki and the fez, other than the timeline and era of which both of these represent clearly.

H

I've always felt the connection was pretty tenuous myself. Never been a fez fan, at least not in tiki environs. It could be way worse, at least they're kinda period-appropriate -- but then, a coonskin cap would be, too. (I know, I know, those were for the kiddies & not fer drinkin' -- but that's about how off they look to me sometimes.)

T

On 2007-05-02 11:00, rugbymatt wrote:
I believe part of it stems from the fact that in American pop culture the fez became associated with the partying men's private organizations/ clubs and their suppossed mystique. The element within tiki that is very much into Atomic Age pop culture picked up on the fez as an element of that era and so it became a crossover piece of attire.

or not?

Anyone else want to offer up their interpretation of this phenom?

That's what I fugured, but I was wondering if there was more to it than that.

So, should we start dropping water ballons out of hotel windows at conventions now too ? :)

I just think it leaves less of "Hat-Hair" than a baseball cap or cowboy hat! Not to mention a great conversation starter!

And....It makes drinks taste better!!!

These guys (don't call them cone heads!)were homeless, and needed a place to go.
So we were nice enough to adopt them, and we just pretend not to know them, when we're in the bars.

a search will reveal that this topic was discussed at length in a past thread.....

J

And here we have an entire thread about fezzes.

R

Mahalo for the thread link, it was fun and very informative.

FYI - The leopard fez is also the official headgear of the Royal Hawaiian Fusliers.

T

My bad, I should have used the search funtion first...oops.
I figured it had something to do with the 50's businessman going wild kinda thing.

TT

Here is how I see it: I like to collect everything Tiki. I like to collect everything Fez. I aslo like to collect anything Monkey. There! It's all connected for me.

On 2007-05-02 15:35, ted tiki wrote:
Here is how I see it: I like to collect everything Tiki. I like to collect everything Fez. I aslo like to collect anything Monkey. There! It's all connected for me.

Ditto...funny how so many of us are attracted to all of these things at once....and then there is the secret hand-shake. :D

D

On 2007-05-02 12:02, Humuhumu wrote:
I've always felt the connection was pretty tenuous myself. Never been a fez fan, at least not in tiki environs. It could be way worse, at least they're kinda period-appropriate -- but then, a coonskin cap would be, too. (I know, I know, those were for the kiddies & not fer drinkin' -- but that's about how off they look to me sometimes.)

Agreed. I love the Tiki period; the color and escapist elements. And when I say escapist I'm not just refering to the booze. Nothing personal, and I know I'll never get invited to any Fez Parties after saying this, but the fez and tiki for me is kinda stretching it a bit. As far as Tiki attire I'm cool with vintage Hawaiian shirts but that's about it. Tiki for me is part of the old world that left messages for us here in the new world. I'm happy to visit that old world, but I don't want to pretend that I'm actually living it by donning the attire. It's kinda like walking around with a tie-dye shirt on. Just my 2-sense. But don't listen to me. All you fez dudes should Fez-on as usual. I have my uncle's old Shriner fez packed up in it's original box. Thing's gotta be from the 60s or 70s at least.

RB
T

I would say the fez is about as tiki as a silver rocket ship
decanter. But I think both are cool.

Fezzes...eeeehh...yahhhh...hmmm...don't know...never could figure that one out. Monkeys either. Little to do with anything Polynesian or Tiki whatsoever. But I dig Shriners...they always have those great "America's Finest" fundraiser Chocolate Bars. And they sparked a great Ray Stevens song.

Basically it's just a bunch of us drunks having fun, and all of us hangin' around the watering hole, they call booze, paddling to Fiji ( if you know what I mean)..
Oh,I'm sorry, I thought this was a Tiki Central event thread. :)

TK

The Fez has a connection with cocktail culture and the Tiki “lifestyle” as it applies to poly pop. Maybe not strictly “Hawaiian” or “Polynesian” but a symbol of a time, swanky suits, smoking Jackets, and hanging out in the lounge. Just as the classic Tiki Mug is not an artifact of genuine Hawaiian culture but a symbol of poly pop, the Fez is also such. But then again, the Shriners have a rich history in Hawaii. Ukulele Icon Johnny Noble was, in fact a Shriner. But I think this goes back to “what is Tiki?” Just as in any subculture, there are sub groups. Extremists, Members and associates. The extremist would argue that the Moai are not "real" Tiki. The associate would argue that rockabilly is part of Tiki culture. I say, if you only accept the 163 original examples of ancient Hawaiian carving as Tiki, then more power to you! (but don’t forget Tiki is not even actually a Hawaiian word)

A very cool video of mainland Shriners visiting Hawaii in the 1950's. There's even a shot of Duke Kahanamoku wearing a fez.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5dVkHuOPeo&feature=channel

C

Hey Cool!!
That's the same film we watched late night at OHANA on the side wall at The Tiki -A very fun film to watch :D

Great video!

In my humble opinion I think Tiki King summed it up here best and most accurately. I basically would say that the main connection is that both American Poly Pop culture and American Masonic/Shriner membership was extremely popular during this period in our country's history.

It is interesting to note that as American Poly Pop culture waned in the late 1960's so did the American Masonic and Shriner membership and for the same reasons.

It is also interesting to note that at the same time as the Tiki revival started (I'm not sure of the correct term) so did the popularity of membership in the Masons/Shriners also rise.

In this day in age with 911 and two wars in progress, many people look to the past in a nostalgic way for kind of subconscious comfort.

Wonderful artists such as Shag contribute to the connection with the weaving of the two in their depiction of an iconic era in or history.

My grandfather was a Shriner. Both of my uncles, my father were Masons and I am a Mason.

It is my experience that our masonic activities rarely involve alcohol and the shiners are known to have much more "fun"! if you know what i mean :)

I always thought (probably mistakenly) it was down to Laurel and Hardy and the film where they are 'Shriners' attending a convention in Chicago, when they should be in Hawaii?

Cue loads of boozy bawdy antics, Ukelele playing and a rendition of Honolulu Baby complete with 'Hula' dancers...

http://www.wayoutwest.org/sodfeature/film.html

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2009-11-22 05:47 ]

On 2009-11-21 18:11, abstractiki wrote:
It is my experience that our masonic activities rarely involve alcohol and the shiners are known to have much more "fun"! if you know what i mean :)

Apparently, this was the purpose of the Shriners to begin with:

"In 1870, there were several thousand Masons in Manhattan, many of whom lunched at the Knickerbocker Cottage at a special table on the second floor. There, the idea of a new fraternity for Masons stressing fun and fellowship was discussed."

And that Stan & Ollie film is as good as any a connection

For me as a a pop culture historian the obvious connection between Tiki and Shriners is that both appropriated an exotic culture as their theme. This form of romantic exoticism happened to different cultures, be it Japanese, Mayan or Egyptian, at different periods in the West, and it was based more on fantasy than on fact. Americans were especially carefree and inventive with it.

Just as in Tiki style, exotic temples were erected:

They even had their own mugs and bowls :D :

(now where is that Fez-wearing Tiki Aloha shirt when I need it...!?)

And the Shriners always had a sense of humor about themselves, just like Tikiphiles :) :

This CAN get a little scary, though:

The reasons for the decline of the Shriners also parallel those of Tiki culture:
In the late 60s, when the big generation gap shifted the attention of the world towards youth culture, the Shriners, just like Tiki style, were relegated to the stodgy, the "establishment", the conservative, old generation.

I mean look at the line up of old geezers in that U-Tube video above! But this is another parallel: Today's Tikiphiles engage in a form of ancestor worship that mends the wounds created by the 60s/70s generation war, by showing appreciation for some of the aspects of our forefathers culture. The biggest irony of Shriner culture today is how its basically Islamic symbolism clashes with today's terrorized reality - not unlike Tiki's palm trees and huts did with the Vietnam war in the late sixties.

All this being said, I would like to point out though that Tiki culture and Shriner culture are two different things. :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-11-22 12:19 ]

Thanks for the post Sven. Great how you lay it out for folks. I always learn something new.

Found it.

I knew I had a cool Shriner/Hawaiian brochure somewhere.

HJ

'Bout 20 years ago, a buddy and this writer borrowed fezzes from a military historian who specialized in the middle east, and used them with waiters' jackets, white shirts and bow ties at a military history and scale modeling swap meet, with Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses, as The Glues Brothers."

We had a ****ing great time and people remember to this day, Ahmed and Hassan Glues in the fezzes. Hmmm. Maybe time to buy one....

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 7:24 PM

I saw my first Shriners parade in Holyoke Mass. and loved it...
Shriners are awesome because they help kids and ride little cars and wear funny hats... I LOVE them. And I will always support them and try to become one myself.
http://www.shrinershq.org/
The coolest of the cool

W

Let's see,

Scottish Rite
Mason
Shriner

.... Is their a Samoan Rite?

TS

I agree with a bunch of the trepidation and the speculation. Mid-century stuff is way cool and partying in the '50s and '60s had much carryover from "Exotic" and far away lands. Even Exotica music rolls into latin and African kinds of rhythms. It is not pure Tiki. I read something somewhere that a Fez was considered to be a part of the attire for relaxation just as a smoking jacket was and usually worn with the jacket. Fezes are cool and not directly related to Tiki but as we go back in time, we cling to all that weird and wonderful stuff.

There is a place that custom makes Fezes called Fez-o-Rama (http://www.fez-o-rama.com/) that combines the atomic age, contemporary age, monkeys, Tiki and all manner of images into their designs. They will even custom make Fezes if they like the design enough and have the time to make them. I have a Shriner’s Fez from the ‘60s-‘70s. It says Nile on it and has some fancy pin to hold the tassel. I do the custom car thing and particularly like the ‘50s style Kustoms. Fezes, Tikis, Atomic Age, Monkeys, skeletons and rockabilly all combine into one melting pot of mid-century party when you delve into the that scene. It’s all cool. I don’t think I could wear a Fez because it is just not me. I have seen some that are pretty cool looking though and if it leads me to a cocktail…I am going with it.

Here is the missing link between the Fez and Tiki
(like the Lucy fossil)...

I give you the Beachcomber Fez!

Come on, a Fez with Beachcomber on it, you got to believe now!

DC

Got one similar to Dusty Cajons. Found it at a thrift store in Morro Bay CA. Its authentic. Made in Los Angeles. If im correct and theres no other meaning, Tehran is the capital of Iran. Cool fez though.

The shopgoodwill.com website is a cheap place to find fez's. They usually sell for $5 a piece, but it's the shipping that can be a killer. The money hopefully goes to a good cause and not to pay their CEO $1.5 million a year.

This Shriner decanter is for sale right now. Starting bid $3.00.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11510669

Or this is one of the fez's they have listed. Starting bid $6.00.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11504228

further evidence of the tiki/shriner connection-

This would be a special piece in anyone's home. Monkey's wearing fez's mirror.

Bid on it here: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=12056524

This pre-owned mirror has a base that’s faux bamboo and would be perfect for a tiki or island themed décor! I found in researching this piece some whimsical information: Some believe that the fez monkey is a symbolic sign of a good provider, and there are many symbolic meanings for the monkey itself! The item appears to be in decent condition, although the paper backing could use a bit of reinforcing. Size: 12” x 16.75” SOLD AS IS ~~ ALL SALES ARE FINAL (per KJ)

Thinking back to places I've been and unusual things I've seen, weren't fez-wearing monkeys also associated with some organ grinders? I'm thinking this was in some cases a style of costume accessory, in addition to a vest, worn by the monkeys? I seem to recall seeing small caps or fezzes for the monkeys.

My most recent organ grinder sighting was in Munich at Oktoberfest in 2010. I know I looked for a few minutes, pointed it out to my group, and may even have taken a photo.

I know, I know... My question can probably be answered by a quick Google search... :)

On 2012-12-17 12:19, AceExplorer wrote:
Thinking back to places I've been and unusual things I've seen, weren't fez-wearing monkeys also associated with some organ grinders? I'm thinking this was in some cases a style of costume accessory, in addition to a vest, worn by the monkeys? I seem to recall seeing small caps or fezzes for the monkeys.

My most recent organ grinder sighting was in Munich at Oktoberfest in 2010. I know I looked for a few minutes, pointed it out to my group, and may even have taken a photo.

I know, I know... My question can probably be answered by a quick Google search... :)

I didn't know it, but there have been lengthy discussions about fez wearing monkeys on TC. I should have put the Goodwill auction under one of those topics instead of humans wearing fez's. :wink:

I don't connect tiki Pacific and Fez mid-east myself but surely in the broader early century and mid-century American periods these fascinations were both present and at times they intermingled. I personally am more of a purist even with tiki culture, I ponder the relationship between leopard/zebra skin rugs and female sexy outfits and tiki. But again this tiki sub-culture can be a little more mid-century broader and include this African exotic and erotic jungle escapism with Pacific Island exotic and erotic jungle escapism. There is abundant evidence of this combination in TC. Mid-east also had this sexualized fascination from the west. Many "hula hula" dancers were neighbors to belly dancers on the circus mid-way and vaudeville stages and reportedly hung out because of their commonality. In the Laurel and Hardy film "Sons of the Desert", that BigBro eluded to earlier on this thread, it is about Ollie's faking a sickness and that he and his partner, Stan, received approval from their wives to go to Hawaii for Ollie's health but instead they snuck to a non wife approved, mid-east theme men's lodge ("Sons of the Desert" with fezzes)convention in Chicago. There, the theme for one night of festivities was Hawaiian hula. Fun was had by all who wore fezzes and enjoyed leis and hula skirts, but more so, this movie demonstrates the intermingling of these American popular sub-cultures.

Another example of this intermingling (including space-age)during the later part of mid-twentieth century are paintings by one of my favorite tiki mid-century revival artist Edwin Wade (not sure if he's been covered in TC - someone let me know). Below are three example of his work, enjoy.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2015-02-17 17:48 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2015-02-17 17:53 ]

One more Wade that is appropriate to this topic:

Pages: 1 40 replies