Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis Roll Call

Pages: 1 2 3 132 replies

K

Kiki and David Lenoue just got back from the Hukilau
and will be thrilled to attend Tiki Oasis Thurs- Mon.
Some L.A. friends will join us.

Are people already making dinner reservations for the Thurs. at the Bali Hai?

We'll also be in L.A. in the beginning of the week if there are any tiki activities!

We look forward to bringing some East Coast Tiki Love to the West Coast!

K

Forgot to say, we are from lovely New York City!

Cheers,
Kiki

On 2007-06-22 20:33, KikiTiki wrote:
\

We look forward to bringing some East Coast Tiki Love to the West Coast!

[

On 2007-06-22 20:33, KikiTiki wrote:
We'll also be in L.A. in the beginning of the week if there are any tiki activities!

Does Ukulele count?
The NAMM Musuem of Making music is having a show,
"The Ukulele and You:
America's Enduring Love of the Jumping Flea"
showcasing some of the coolest Ukes from
throughout history, as well as awesome new
Ukuleles from modern Ukulele luthiers.
info...<BR>
http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=41
I'll be there for the opening on the 11th, 'cause a couple of my Ukuleles are in the show.

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki and Ukulele Stuff
http://www.download.com/tikiking Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King 2007-06-28 17:06 ]

T

I will heading out with Miss Cat from AZ.
This will be my first tiki event of any kind.
Can you bring your alcohol to drink by the pool
at the hotel?
Scott

CL

My guess is that given it's OASIS, there will be alcohol in abundance EVERYWHERE. We plan to bring our alcoholic cocktails in plastic cups pool side. I'd be surprised if there was an issue with that. :)

On 2007-06-23 13:32, tiki-lee wrote:
I will heading out with Miss Cat from AZ.
This will be my first tiki event of any kind.
Can you bring your alcohol to drink by the pool
at the hotel?
Scott

T

My wife and I brought our own drinks everywhere we went including the pool. Either purchasing it or mixing it in our room we had booze flowing the entire time. We will do the same thing this year. As always we hired someone to drive. Yup, had to say the last part for the legal team!

Mahalo,
Tikitatt
http://www.Myspace.com/Tikitatt

C

I'll be there Thursday through Sunday with my friends from New York Kiki & David. Looking forward to making lot's of new friends and learning some Go Go dances. Oh, the dogs are staying home!

[ Edited by: CaliTiki 2007-06-28 13:57 ]

[ Edited by: CaliTiki 2007-06-28 14:01 ]

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2007 10:36 PM

In...I've been to each and every one of these since the first...may be one of the only people who've made them all, except for Otto and Doe of course!

I'll be there spinning records...and helping run the Tiki News booth...selling Dionysus stuff as well so if ya haven't yet picked up the limited "Exotica" LP with Tiki Tony art print, I'll have some on hand along with some Dionysus titles.

xxL

T

Marcus (adrift) Alene and myself will be there, and can't wait for the poolside fun!

CaliTiki.....loved the pics of your bedroom....very kitschy!!! I am into pink flamingos and that leopard look too....nice collectibles you have (especially the mirror). Hope to meet you at Oasis. :)

M

I will be bringing the existing style of album cover frames and my new maori style as well.

I will also be bringing these lamps for those who have purchased them in advance and for those that are still unsold.
For purchasing details see this thread in Marketplace.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24764&forum=12&0

I will be coming out to party (and buy stuff to drag back east). Have fez wil travel.

We'll be attending our first Tiki Oasis this year...after missing a couple we finally pulled the trigger.

Already have my ticket for the Beachbum Berry symposium!

GT

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2007-07-12 15:38 ]

S

Looks like I'll be there too! Hurray! We'll be vending too!

Suzanne

OK....sometimes I can be technically challenged, but I can't figure out how to get tickets to the symposiums....I want to go to the Beach Berry one (like 5,000 others do). I have my tickets for Friday and Saturday night, but is there an additional ticket I need to get to attend the classes/presentations?

On 2007-07-12 13:01, VampiressRN wrote:
OK....sometimes I can be technically challenged, but I can't figure out how to get tickets to the symposiums....I want to go to the Beach Berry one (like 5,000 others do). I have my tickets for Friday and Saturday night, but is there an additional ticket I need to get to attend the classes/presentations?

There had better not be. I've already paid for two tickets, our room for four days, and countless necessities for the weekend. This things' already putting me in the poorhouse and I haven't even bought my booze yet!!

Hey Vamp! Yes, there are separate tickets for the seminars such as Beachbum Berry's. You need to get back onto the Tiki Oasis website and click the area for Reservations, then click on Purchase Tiki Oasis Tixs. A listing of all extra seminars (free and for purchase) will be displayed. Pick the ones you want then you will need to pay for them upon exiting the website. I got a couple tickets each to Sven's and Beachbum Berry's. Make sure you check the times so you don't overbook your day of fun!!

See ya next month!
Myke

A

..but is there an additional ticket I need to get to attend the classes/presentations?

Yes, those are available on the ticket purchasing page.

-Randy

Thanks Myke & Randy....I got my tickets. :)

Looks like I may not be the only one figuring out about getting symposium tickets, so hope other newbies see this information.

me and my friend will be there, i live in san diego so no way id miss this

MA

The wife and I will be attending for the 1st time. Any advice?

I just booked in for my 1st Oasis. Flying in from New York.

O
Otto posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 12:34 AM

yes, the symposiums are priced and ticketed separately from the event. the ticket price for Oasis has not gone up (unlike the price of gas and food) but we added the symposiums so we have to add fees to cover costs.

Billybobaloo, obviously you have not been to Hukilau where similar seminars are similarly priced.

btw, Beachbum Berry is giving a very similar presentation at Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans this weekend. You can catch him there for $35 or go to Oasis and pay $25

On 2007-07-12 13:20, billybobaloo wrote:

On 2007-07-12 13:01, VampiressRN wrote:
I have my tickets for Friday and Saturday night, but is there an additional ticket I need to get to attend the classes/presentations?

There had better not be. I've already paid for two tickets, our room for four days, and countless necessities for the weekend. This things' already putting me in the poorhouse and I haven't even bought my booze yet!!

Yeah, I've got three kids and a mortgage on a government salary......Can't afford vacations to Florida. Maybe someday, after I'm done putting the little bastards through college, that will change, but until then my Vacations are spent locally.

25 bucks isn't too bad, but I'll be too busy chopping in the Tiki Village to be able to go to that. You guys can let me know how it was.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 7:45 AM

There'll be at least 20 (!) Tiki Carving Village demos through the weekend, and they're all free. We'll schedule them around the seminars, etc. so you folks can see everything.

Mr. Smiley and I will be there...

ZAZZ!

oh yeah, Russell will be coming to Oasis too.

I can't remember if I replied to this.
but I am gonna be there, but I need to figure out where I am staying or if I am sleeping in the back of my truck.

My friend Kristena is going to be quest dj'ing with Clint Beachwood on Sat. afternoon doing an all trad surf set.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-07-16 07:45, Cammo wrote:
There'll be at least 20 (!) Tiki Carving Village demos through the weekend, and they're all free. We'll schedule them around the seminars, etc. so you folks can see everything.

Good thing WE aren't charging, eh Cammo? Although, it IS probably worth a good 25 bucks to watch the new guy ruin a great log and then stab himself in the crotch with his new Flexcut chisels.

O
Otto posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 10:24 PM

On 2007-07-16 07:45, Cammo wrote:

Not only is the entire carvers village free of charge to guests, so is the uke jam on sunday, Tiki bazaar (shopping) on Sunday, and Bosko's seminar and my own seminar. As well as the room crawls (trade for gifts of booze, etc.)

So there is plenty of FREE stuff going on for those who have cashed in on travel expenses.

Hmmm.......not really looking for a free ride, but thanks. I bought tickets.

A

We'll be there as a group of three,
Naomi and Nina and also me.

On Thursday night, the Bali Hai one,
DJ Kapu Cabana will go go Hawaiian.

-Randy

aquarj, good to hear...see you there.

We are again doing some fun
round trips from the hotel to the Bali Hai, as well as 2 adventures during Tiki Oasis. On Thursday, we are adding the unique water taxi to the mix! If you have never arrived at the Bali Hai by boat, this tour is for you!

Thursday Aug 16th - Our open air double decker bus will depart the Crown Plaza Hotel every 45 minutes, beginning at 4:15pm, 5pm, 5:45pm, 6:30pm, 7:15pm, 8pm etc
If you want to do the water taxi across the bay at the new tiki bar by the Marriott pool, you should reserve a spot for the 4:15pm bus or be at the Bali Hai's dock at 450pm. The water taxi tour is limited to 40 people. Cost is $34 for roundrip transporation from the hotel on the bus. It does include the water taxi fare.

You can also take the open air double decker bus from the hotel to the Bali Hai for $16 roundtrip. Again, the bus departs every 45 minutes beginning at 4:15pm. The bus can hold up to 65 people. We suggest you mail a check to reserve a spot and you also save $2 per person by sending a check. Subtract $2 per person and send checks to Where You Want To Be Tours 255 G St # 716 San Diego CA 92101. Send your check by August 11th. Sorry, no credit cards.

Friday Aug 17th -Take a tiki tour on the open air double decker bus 11am - 4pm
Stops will include lunch/drinks at the China Inn in Pacific Beach; the Crystal Pier
and its colorful hotel, shops with tiki merchandise, Paradise Point's tropical bar, and the Catamaran Resort. $26 price includes 2 drinks on board the London style Open air double decker bus. Lunch and drinks at the China Inn are not included.
Subtract $2 from the $26 ticket price by mailing a check today!

The Thursday event is co-sponsored by TIKI MAGAZINE & WHERE YOU WANT TO BE TOURS

Be there...Aloha!

On 2007-07-16 13:58, bigtikidude wrote:
I can't remember if I replied to this.
but I am gonna be there, but I need to figure out where I am staying or if I am sleeping in the back of my truck.

My friend Kristena is going to be quest dj'ing with Clint Beachwood on Sat. afternoon doing an all trad surf set.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yep...
See you all there.

By the way, Clint and I will be doing a KCR pre-show on the Thursday of the event, right before the Bali Hai.
If you tune into http://www.kcrlive.com from 4-6 pm that day, you can listen!

-Kristena

Wow, man.......LOTS of people are trying to make money off of us having fun!! I'll tell you what= I've got a nice old H-D,Vtwin Softail and I'll drag you behind the fucker for free.

I guarantee you'll be more fucked up from MY ride than theirs!!

The FRIDAY trip does sound like a good value and a lot of fun though.

My advice? SAVE YOUR MONEY.......BUY TIKIS!!! MEET LOCALS( that aren't trying to capitolize on you), HAVE MORE FUN.

Im in, finally got tickets.....looking forward to it and meeting everyone.

Amy

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jul 24, 2007 1:22 PM

I went on the Tiki Bus Tour last year, and it was really fun. This year, the stop at the China Inn (and hopefully HodadHank's Freaky BouTIKI shop) is a great idea; the Polynesian drinks there are the best priced around. The Friday excursion is a must-do for first time out-of-towners, where else can you let somebody else drive you to all the Tiki spots in Pacific Beach?

And the water taxi is a swell idea too, boats are the perfect place to party on - and on....

On 2007-07-24 13:22, Cammo wrote:
I went on the Tiki Bus Tour last year, and it was really fun. This year, the stop at the China Inn (and hopefully HodadHank's Freaky BouTIKI shop) is a great idea; the Polynesian drinks there are the best priced around. The Friday excursion is a must-do for first time out-of-towners, where else can you let somebody else drive you to all the Tiki spots in Pacific Beach?

And the water taxi is a swell idea too, boats are the perfect place to party on - and on....

I may check that out if I have time......or maybe I'll just send the wife out on the tour with the camera so I can chop.

T

Aloha to All!

RE: The Safari continues - Marching towards VII.

The thunderous storms and dense jungles are clearing so I WILL be able to make it to Oasis 7 in time. A nasty row with some headhunters almost "cut off" my trip plans but, alas, it seems my head is too hard to shrink!

Oh what fun it will be to once again hear the (friendly) beat of the drums and rest in the comfort of the bamboo's shade without fear that the bamboo comes with assorted varieties of poison darts.

The trip thru the asphalt jungles of SoCal will include being in LA the week before Oasis. Of course I will be up for visits to watering holes where our friendly ohana imbibe. Please email me if plans have already been wrought for such festivities.

Can't wait to see each and everyone in the amazing Kingdom of Oasis.

VII ! ! ! Wow. Seem like just yesterday when a handful of us roamed the desert and happened upon that once friendly Caliente Tropics - my how we have grown!

Balmy regards to all,

Tiki Bob
(email: [email protected])

Three lovers of tiki - each not candidates for head shrinking.

[ Edited by: tikibob 2007-07-27 13:42 ]

K

[

You can also take the open air double decker bus from the hotel to the Bali Hai for $16 roundtrip. Again, the bus departs every 45 minutes beginning at 4:15pm. The bus can hold up to 65 people. We suggest you mail a check to reserve a spot and you also save $2 per person by sending a check. Subtract $2 per person and send checks to Where You Want To Be Tours 255 G St # 716 San Diego CA 92101. Send your check by August 11th. Sorry, no credit cards.

How long does it take by double-decker bus from the hotel to the Bali Hai? We have a 5:45 dinner reservation....

Thanks!

Kiki - It's great that you have organized this. We took buses to the Mai Kai for Hukilau and it was a lot safer than trying to drive home!

B

Seeking additional PHOTOGRAPHERS and VIDEOGRAPHERS for Tiki Oasis!

Hello there! Every year we see hundreds of folks taking photos at Tiki Oasis. We know that you are out there.... We are looking for people to take photos during the weekend for possible inclusion in our Tiki Oasis 7 dvd or on our website (if we can figure out how to get photos online! HA!). This isn't a paid gig but I have been known to shower people with some cool gift for helping me out! Soooo if you take photos during the weekend and you are proud of the quality please E-MAIL those to Baby Doe at: [email protected] OR pop them in the mail to: 2215-R Market Street #177 SF CA (remember to include YOUR information!)

We love photos of: bands, dancers, vendors, symposiums, kids, tiki's, poolside fun, room parties... well just about anything!

If you have a HIGH QUALITY video camera and plan to be at the event please contact me prior to the event about possibly being an official Tiki Oasis videographer!

XOXO Baby Doe
Tiki Oasis

The wife and I will help you out, there. Just picked up a Nikon D80 a couple of weeks ago, so we'll be taking LOADS of pics.

Well, HELL YEAH! I'll be there with a mermaid, a couple Sirens and a Pirate Wench or two...

I'm currently in a leaky rowboat headed back from Rangaroa where I've been testing some new rum-based navigation systems. I've got satellite wi-fi and will be back just in time to head up the Voluntiki Crew again this year. WooHoo!

All hands on deck! I'll need some veteran Ohana to fill in some volunteer positions. sign up for the new Tiki Oasis 7 Volunteer Group at Google for all the updates! Now! The future of the fleet depends on it. ARRRGH!

http://groups.google.com/group/tiki-oasis-7-volunteers

Alooooha!

Boyd and I will be there...can't wait to see everyone :)

S

Squid will be there! YEEEEEHAW!

Mr & Mrs. Tikilands will be there. And I would love to take pictures and send them to you.

I will be taking pictures too. I am not a great photographer, but will donate any and all that turn out. I'll catch some Room Crawl action too. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 132 replies