Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Thee Official PIRATE Thread

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

Me tinks dat son will be walkin' da plank.

Gotta get Dave to post here as the Vallejo Pirate fest set a record this year for the most pirates in one place at the same time. Check it out...it be awesome!!!

http://www.norcalpiratefestival.com/

Good one Zeta :lol:

TM

cool, much better than the last pirate video you posted.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Sep 19, 2010 10:31 AM

Happy International talk like a pirate day. Arrr!!!

Ye be spredin da speak o pirates today.
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

That be very funny!!!!

K

I thought you scurvy pirate folk might enjoy this. It's from Lemax and it's titled 'Cruel & Unusual'.

I thought this would look good in a tiki bar with a nautical or pirate theme. It's a lenticular. You might need to register on their website to get the purchase button link.

http://www.hauntedportraits.com/cutter.htm

It goes on sale tomorrow at 10PM CST.

From a Haunted Portraits email:

So let me start by giving you a little history on the Ghost Ship and why I took it off the market...
So as I'm sure you know I'm a huge Haunted Mansion fan and many of my works have been inspired by pictures or scenes in the Haunted Mansion. One of the items I love is the changing Ghost Ship that goes from normal to haunted. My version unlike theirs is actually much more detailed than the cartoonish version that the Disney Imagineers did.
The Ghost Ship has always been one of my best sellers but there's a dark side that most people don't know about it.... it's a pain in the ass to make. You see it's the only portrait I do (or any other changing portrait artist does) that's landscape format instead of portrait (in other words it's wider than tall). The problem with that from a production stand point is it's REALLY hard to get the entire image to change from edge-to-edge all at once. As a matter of fact I approached another changing portrait artist about doing all of my product manufacturing for me and he said yes but he wouldn't touch the Ghost Ship because it would just be too difficult.
Anyway last year I took the Ghost Ship out of production and it wasn't long after it went off the market I started getting emails from my customers asking where they could get one. So last October I decided to make the Ghost Ship available for one week only. We completely sold out and as I said it was removed from purchase after that week.
The Ghost Ship available for only one week starting this Monday night October 1st at 10PM CST. Just like all my other 16x20 portraits it's only $85 and $12 for tracked Priority Mail shipping. The purchase button will go live here Phantom Ship at 10PM CST and will be removed on October 8th.
P.S. - If you saw my last email you know that Disneyland Resort just purchased several of my Haunted Portraits for use at the Magic Kingdom for their Halloween events. Just between you and me the Ghost Ship was one of the ones they purchased :)

P.P.S. - If you order $200 or more in changing portraits of any size shipping is FREE

P.P.P.S - This Monday night I'm going to send out an email to my email list revealing the secret Haunted Mansion project blueprints that I worked on but haven't been able to reveal until now because of a non-disclosure agreement with Disney.

'Real Pirates' exhibit makes port at Milwaukee Public Museum

No Black Pearl. No Davy Jones. And no Johnny Depp.

Aye, but there be cannon, cutlasses and enough pieces of eight to satisfy Blackbeard himself.

The "Real Pirates" exhibition that opens at the Milwaukee Public Museum on Friday is sure to buckle the swash of any true pirate fan. With more than 150 artifacts recovered from the wreck of a real pirate ship, the exhibit presents buccaneer life as no "Pirates of the Caribbean" film can.

"We know there's an expectation with the perceived fun of the Hollywood version of piracy. But any exhibition we do is with real pieces of real history," said Mark Lach, spokesman for Premier Exhibitions Inc., which owns the traveling exhibit. "Pirates were bad guys. They took things that didn't belong to them. But there is a fantasy and a fun element to them, and I hope we put together a good balance to show what it was like to be a pirate."

The show's artifacts come from the Whydah (pronounced wi-dah), "the first fully authenticated pirate ship discovered in American waters," said Barry Clifford, the underwater explorer who discovered the wreck in 1984 off Cape Cod. "We can trace everything on the Whydah to the real pirate 'Black Sam' Bellamy."

Bellamy was one busy buccaneer. The Whydah was operating as a fast slave galley sailing between Africa and America when it caught Bellamy's eye; he captured it and made it his flagship in February 1717. The Whydah's hull was filled with the loot of more than 50 plundered ships when the 40-foot waves of a nor'easter sank it on April 26, 1717.

All but two members of the 146-man crew went down with the ship.

Visitors to "Real Pirates" will get to spy on what was going on below the Whydah decks on that day, and see everything from the pipes Bellamy's crew smoked to the gold they collected. The exhibit even allows visitors to walk aboard a large-scale replica of the ship. A figure of handsome "Black Sam" is in the captain's cabin playing host.

Other, more somber, tales also get told here. The story of how slave ships such as the Whydah bore their captive human cargo is revealed, with the types of chains used on those evil voyages on display.

But mostly the spotlight is on sunken riches - some large, some small. So practice your best "arrrghs" and we'll chart out 10 "Real Pirates" treasures to discover.

The ship's bell. Sailors' legend has it that the bell is the spirit of a ship. If so, visitors can gaze upon the very "soul" of the Whydah, protected in its own exhibit case. The brass bell bears the engraving "Whydah Gally 1716," an inscription confirming the identity of the wreck that Clifford's team discovered.

Pirate accessories. A real pirate's "look" was perfectly pulled together - pulled together from all the booty he could steal, that is. These pieces of looted finery may be small, but they tell a tale of high seas mystery. Who were the original owners of the copper cufflinks and silver floral buttons, and what fate befell them at the marauders' hands?

The Teye ring. This gold ring reveals much, yet keeps many secrets. The last name Teye seems to hail from the north of England, and other inscribed letters show it once belonged to a ranking British seaman connected with a Royal Navy base. How it got aboard the Whydah is unclear, but know this, hearties: No officer in the King's Navy would have handed it over except at the point of a saber. Unless, of course, he turned pirate himself.

Pirate grenades. Whydah crew members did more than swagger and swill rum. They were masters of 18th-century warfare technology. These amazing grenades were filled with chemicals such as sulfur and pitch, lighted, and then thrown aboard prey ships to smoke out the enemy crew and force them to surrender without a fight. And an easy conquest was the one thing pirates dreamed of more than the arms of Port Royal barmaids.

A royal Danish cannon. This is not just any cannon. The 2,500-pound gun fired 6-pound shot that required four men to load and fire it. Engraving on the gun proclaims that it belonged to "King Christian V of Denmark and Norway" in the late 17th century. We can imagine Bellamy, who was called "Prince of Pirates," boasting he was the monarch who owned the cannon now.

The Sun King pistol. Another bit of loot with a royal connection. This pistol bears images of a Celtic deity engraved on its escutcheon. Clifford's crew discovered a jaunty silk ribbon still wrapped around the pistol. A real pirate used the ribbon as a lanyard to hang the pistol around his neck.

The Turtle Dove seal. In the 17th century, the turtle dove was a symbol of love. Bellamy is said to have fallen in love with Maria Hallet, a Cape Cod beauty, and he turned pirate to become wealthy enough to marry her. Did he send her love letters bearing the imprint of this seal? Beware this love story if he did. The seal's inscription says: "Death, if I lose you." So was this a promise of eternal love - or a pirate's threat?

Gaming tokens. Pirates aboard the Whydah whiled away the hours between attacks by betting on cards and dice. The sweaty palms of nervous pirates once held these lead tokens, nervous because gambling was usually forbidden aboard ship to avoid fights and distractions. But "pirates were outlaws by nature, and the captain may have rules against gambling, (but) these men by nature had a streak of the maverick to bend the rules," Lach said.

The last remains of Little Johnny King. Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be pirates. When 9-year-old John King and his mother were captured by Bellamy's men, the boy demanded that he be allowed to join the Whydah crew. Bellamy was reportedly impressed with the sprite's spirit, and took Johnny on to become the youngest documented pirate on record. A life-size mannequin of the boy grins at visitors aboard the replica ship. But excavators found his small leg bone, silk stocking and leather shoe in the wreck of the Whydah, proof that when the real pirate ship sank, it took John with it.

Pieces of eight. More than 2,500 silver pieces of eight and other coins from the Whydah fill exhibit chests to overflowing. This display may be one of the best "representations of the various coins from around the world of any discovery ever made. The Caribbean was the hub of the world at this time, and the currency came from around the world," Lach said.

Not only can visitors look at pieces of eight, they can touch real coins in an interactive display. And a pirate's life seems even more charming when a piece of eight crosses your palm.

If you go
What: "Real Pirates"

Where: Milwaukee Public Museum, 800 W. Wells St.

When: Friday through May 27

Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily; extended hours every Thursday until 8 p.m. Tickets are for timed admission.

How much: Monday through Thursday - adults $24, seniors $22, children $17.50; Friday through Sunday - adults $26, seniors, $24; children $18.50. Admission to the rest of the museum is included.

Info: http://www.mpm.edu or (414) 223-4676

http://www.sdnhm.org/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions/real-pirates/

In honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day:

Get ready. Pirates will drop anchor in Southern California on February 8, 2014 when National Geographic’s Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah from Slave Ship to Pirate Ship opens at the San Diego Natural History Museum, featuring more than 200 artifacts recovered from the ocean floor.

Real Pirates tells the true story of the Whydah—a real pirate ship that sank off the coast of Cape Cod nearly 300 years ago—and showcases treasure chests of coins and gold, jewelry, weaponry such as cannons, pistols, and knives and a replica of the actual ship that visitors can board.

Real Pirates offers an unprecedented glimpse into the unique economic, political and social circumstances of the early 18th-century Caribbean. The exhibition is highlighted by the compelling stories of the diverse people whose lives converged on the vessel before it sank in a fierce storm off the coast of Cape Cod, Mass. on April 26, 1717.

When the Whydah was located by underwater explorer Barry Clifford in 1984, it became the first fully authenticated pirate ship to be discovered in American waters. Clifford is still actively excavating the wreck site and continues to bring treasures to the surface every year.

Enjoy an audio tour, or try your hand at raising a pirate flag, tying real sailors' knots, and looking through a telescope to find ships with treasure on board.

Tickets will go on sale to the general public on January 2, 2014.

Haunted Portraits only sells their lenticular pirate ship once a year. September 30th is the day this year and only 50 will be available. I bought one last year and it looks great. http://www.hauntedportraits.com/cutter.htm

From their email.
P.S . - I got several of you asking when the Phantom Ship was going to be available again? I only make the Phantom Ship available for sale 1 week a year. This year the Phantom Ship will go on sale at 12:01 CST September 30th. There will only be 50 available and there is a stick limit of only 2 per person because of issues with people buying them in quantity and reselling them on eBay.

On 2012-09-30 21:11, tikilongbeach wrote:
I thought this would look good in a tiki bar with a nautical or pirate theme. It's a lenticular. You might need to register on their website to get the purchase button link.

http://www.hauntedportraits.com/cutter.htm

It goes on sale tomorrow at 10PM CST.

From a Haunted Portraits email:

So let me start by giving you a little history on the Ghost Ship and why I took it off the market...
So as I'm sure you know I'm a huge Haunted Mansion fan and many of my works have been inspired by pictures or scenes in the Haunted Mansion. One of the items I love is the changing Ghost Ship that goes from normal to haunted. My version unlike theirs is actually much more detailed than the cartoonish version that the Disney Imagineers did.
The Ghost Ship has always been one of my best sellers but there's a dark side that most people don't know about it.... it's a pain in the ass to make. You see it's the only portrait I do (or any other changing portrait artist does) that's landscape format instead of portrait (in other words it's wider than tall). The problem with that from a production stand point is it's REALLY hard to get the entire image to change from edge-to-edge all at once. As a matter of fact I approached another changing portrait artist about doing all of my product manufacturing for me and he said yes but he wouldn't touch the Ghost Ship because it would just be too difficult.
Anyway last year I took the Ghost Ship out of production and it wasn't long after it went off the market I started getting emails from my customers asking where they could get one. So last October I decided to make the Ghost Ship available for one week only. We completely sold out and as I said it was removed from purchase after that week.
The Ghost Ship available for only one week starting this Monday night October 1st at 10PM CST. Just like all my other 16x20 portraits it's only $85 and $12 for tracked Priority Mail shipping. The purchase button will go live here Phantom Ship at 10PM CST and will be removed on October 8th.
P.S. - If you saw my last email you know that Disneyland Resort just purchased several of my Haunted Portraits for use at the Magic Kingdom for their Halloween events. Just between you and me the Ghost Ship was one of the ones they purchased :)

P.P.S. - If you order $200 or more in changing portraits of any size shipping is FREE

P.P.P.S - This Monday night I'm going to send out an email to my email list revealing the secret Haunted Mansion project blueprints that I worked on but haven't been able to reveal until now because of a non-disclosure agreement with Disney.

TM

wow. just wow.

A few months back, my band performed in a large house in san diego that was decorated in an homage to the haunted mansion...I believe it had one of these paintings in the bathroom.

B

What do Tikis, Pirates, and the Haunted Mansion have in common?
By a bizarre coincidence, ME!

My brother, Dan Cunningham, is a guest singer at the world famous Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale (http://dancunningham.weebly.com/dans-photo-gallery.html), as well as the creator of SHADOW OF THE TIKI as a Shadowbox and graphic artist - some of his art sells at the Mai Kai (http://dancunningham.weebly.com/shadow-of-the-tiki.html).

Additionally, I am the Docent of the Whydah Pirate Museum, which exhibits the artifacts and treasures of the world's only authenticated pirate shipwreck (www.Whydah.com). Our National Geographic REAL PIRATES traveling exhibition, devoted exclusively to Whydah artifacts is currently at Union Station Museum in Kansas City until January 2014, and then it will move to San Diego in February. We also have a small exhibit at FOXWOODS in Connecticut. And of course, our main exhibit - Whydah Pirate Museum - with more than 500 artifacts and treasures is in Provincetown on Cape Cod (we've closed for the season and will reopen in Spring). PS... it's pronounced "wi-duh", not "why-duh", just in case you were wondering. The Whydah was an English slave ship named for the African Kingdom of Whydah (there are more than a dozen spellings of it including Xweda, Juda, Ouidah, and Widaw - the spelling depended on who was writing it), which in turn was named for the beautiful Whydah Bird of Paradise.

And I am also the founder of the Haunted Mansion Fan Club (www.HauntedMansionFanClub.com), and author of the novel Legend of the Haunted Mansion (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-legend-of-the-haunted-mansion-james-cunningham/1111781831?ean=9781477642740).
The Disneyland Haunted Mansion was modeled after the Lydecker-Shipley Mansion in Baltimore (Isabel Shipley Cunningham, whose family owned the mansion, is my cousin). The ghost ship is one of my favorite Haunted Mansion changing portraits.

I just had to say something. What are the odds of all three being the subject of this thread - which I found completely by accident! LOL.

[ Edited by: Bellamy 2013-10-16 22:23 ]

B

Just FYI regarding some previous posts...

The shipwreck being promoted as Black Beard's Queen Anne's Revenge has never been authenticated. It's an amazing discovery as far as shipwrecks go, and it COULD be, MIGHT be, the Q.A.R., but until they provide something that removes all doubt, the Whydah remains the only authenticated and confirmed shipwreck in the world. For example, the Whydah's bell provided undeniable proof of it's authenticity when, after the three hundred year old concretion that encased the bell was removed, the words "The + Whydah + Gally + 1716" was uncovered. Proving the Q.A.R.'s identity is made even more difficult by the fact that, not only did Black Beard not have this ship (originally called La Concord ) for very long, he ran it aground on an inlet and abandoned it, taking the meager treasure he had with him.

However, there is an interesting connection between Blackbeard and Sam Bellamy of the Whydah. The two of them started out as pirates together under the command of Benjamin Hornigold - an old Buccaneer who had become a pirate (Buccaneers and pirates are not the same thing). Bellamy didn't approve of Hornigold'd sympathy to their homeland, England, which prevented the crew from attacking British ships, so Bellamy called the crew for a vote of no confidence in Hornigold, and Hornigold was ousted. Blackbeard and some of the crew left with him, and Bellamy was then elected captain of the ship, which was called Marianne. Bellamy later gave that ship to his best friend Palsgrave Williams, who remained in command of it for many years after the Whydah wrecked at Cape Cod. When the survivors of the Whydah shipwreck stood trial in Boston, Blackbeard sent a warning to Massachusetts Bay Colony's royal governor Samuel Shute, that if Bellamy's men were not released he would burn Boston to the ground. Six of Bellamy's men were executed; but instead of burning Boston, Blackbeard (and many other pirates) chose to take vengeance by treating all crews of New England ships with brutality.

[ Edited by: Bellamy 2013-10-17 06:18 ]

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Oct 30, 2013 4:23 PM

This looks like as good a place as any to post these pics....

A co-worker and I spent most evenings and weekends this month building a haunted pirate ship for our company Halloween party.
Construction was cardboard boxes and cardboard sheets covered in printed paper attached with spray adhesive.

The party was last Sat and was a huge success. Kids in the afternoon (i only made one cry...) and an adult party in the evening.

Here are my iphone pics of the ship. with the "house lights" on
Tomorrow we are having a costume contest and another run through the ship. Ill have pro pics of that next week :)

hope you enjoy.

Outside of ship

Inside

I also whipped up a short 3d animated movie to loop in the broken part of the ship. The kids liked it :)

Very nice for being constructed from mostly cardboard. Sounds like people are having a good time there. Is it at your house/bar or at work?

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Oct 30, 2013 4:38 PM

On 2013-10-30 16:34, MadDogMike wrote:
Very nice for being constructed from mostly cardboard. Sounds like people are having a good time there. Is it at your house/bar or at work?

opps I should have been more clear. Its at work. And thanks :)

This topic hold special interest to me as one of my ancestors was a confirmed pirate. Actually an uncle, the brother of one of my direct ancestors.

Otto VanTuyl was born in Holland in 1663. He sailed under Captain Hoar on the John & Rebecca. He was on St Mary's Island in Madagascar when Captain Kidd arrived there in 1698 but Uncle Otto did not sail with Kidd, instead he sailed with Captain John Culliford. In 1699 Otto sailed with Captain Giles Shelly back to New York where he was arrested. Authorities were desperately seeking information on Captain Kidd. After questioning, VanTuyl was released - his deposition is stored in the Library of Congress. Uncle Otto decided to give up his pirate ways and took a job as the captain of the Castle Del Key. On 12/17/1704 his ship ran aground in Sandy Hook New York during a winter storm. Though they were visible from shore, rescuers were unable to reach the ship until December 21st by which time VanTuyl and 131 of his 145 men had either drowned or froze to death.

TM

On 2013-10-30 16:51, MadDogMike wrote:
This topic hold special interest to me as one of my ancestors was a confirmed pirate. Actually an uncle, the brother of one of my direct ancestors.

Otto VanTuyl was born in Holland in 1663. He sailed under Captain Hoar on the John & Rebecca. He was on St Mary's Island in Madagascar when Captain Kidd arrived there in 1698 but Uncle Otto did not sail with Kidd, instead he sailed with Captain John Culliford. In 1699 Otto sailed with Captain Giles Shelly back to New York where he was arrested. Authorities were desperately seeking information on Captain Kidd. After questioning, VanTuyl was released - his deposition is stored in the Library of Congress. Uncle Otto decided to give up his pirate ways and took a job as the captain of the Castle Del Key. On 12/17/1704 his ship ran aground in Sandy Hook New York during a winter storm. Though they were visible from shore, rescuers were unable to reach the ship until December 21st by which time VanTuyl and 131 of his 145 men had either drowned or froze to death.

They ought to call you "smiling sea dog Mike, scourge of the seas!"

Very cool. Also very cool that you are of dutch decent...so am I. Exactly half. Well, the GOOD half!
:)

Awesome work Dagg..... very cool

Great job Dagg!!!

Fer all u scurvy dawgs....

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Oct 31, 2013 10:23 AM

Arrrrrr (~~)

The Haunted Portrait Crypt is closing for good. They will be selling their Phantom Ship lenticular one last time from Sept.25 - Oct.2nd.

Register on their website, http://www.HauntedPortraits.com, so you can receive the official email for when they go on sale.

B

On 2013-10-30 16:51, MadDogMike wrote:
This topic hold special interest to me as one of my ancestors was a confirmed pirate. Actually an uncle, the brother of one of my direct ancestors. Otto VanTuyl was born in Holland in 1663. He sailed under Captain Hoar on the John & Rebecca. He was on St Mary's Island in Madagascar when Captain Kidd arrived there in 1698 but Uncle Otto did not sail with Kidd, instead he sailed with Captain John Culliford. In 1699 Otto sailed with Captain Giles Shelly back to New York where he was arrested. Authorities were desperately seeking information on Captain Kidd. After questioning, VanTuyl was released - his deposition is stored in the Library of Congress. Uncle Otto decided to give up his pirate ways and took a job as the captain of the Castle Del Key. On 12/17/1704 his ship ran aground in Sandy Hook New York during a winter storm. Though they were visible from shore, rescuers were unable to reach the ship until December 21st by which time VanTuyl and 131 of his 145 men had either drowned or froze to death.

Hey Mad Dog, thanks for sharing that story! You know, working in a pirate history and artifact museum I hear just about everyone and their brother tell me that they are related to a pirate; it's as obnoxious as working at the Plimouth Plantation where every guest thinks that they had a relative on the Mayflower (there must have been thousands of people on the Mayflower!). But your story sounds really good. At least, my eyes didn't begin watering from pain while reading it. Mad Dog, you may be happy to know that Barry Clifford, who found the pirate ship Whydah, also just recently found five pirate shipwrecks at Ile St. Marie (the "St Mary's Island" that you mentioned) - and YES, that includes Culliford's ship, which sank there! We currently have a HISTORY CHANNEL 8-part documentary series airing called "Pirate Treasure of the Knights Templar" that tells all about these ships we found. And we have a few artifacts from each of those ships at our main Whydah Pirate Museum in Provincetown on Cape Cod (Massachusetts). We're open every year from May to October 31st, so you should come visit some time. We have the very items that were held and used by your uncle's crew - maybe even by your uncle himself! Our diver & archaeologist Chris Macort is also well versed on Culliford; maybe we could arrange a meeting for you and he could share some things with you if you ever visit.

[ Edited by: Bellamy 2015-10-23 18:30 ]

Bought this at a yard sale cuz it says rum on it. It’s a decanter.

On 2015-10-27 20:11, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Bought this at a yard sale cuz it says rum on it. It’s a decanter.

i have that same decanter!

Pages: 1 2 77 replies