Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2007 Photos And Reports

Pages: 1 2 3 4 143 replies

P

Figure I might as well the ball rolling...even if a little early. :wink:

Arrived FLL today (Wednesday) a little early thanks to United/TED. Zulumagoo was on my flight and his mom drove in from Orlando and was there to pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotels...after a short sightseeing diversion. :wink: A big "Mahalo" to them for the lift!

I got a great big oversized corner room on the North East corner of the Beachfront Tower at the Yankee Clipper...with one set of windows overlooking the pool and ocean, and the other set looking north along the beach and volleyball nets. Great "wrap-around" view.

And what a view!

About 15 minutes ago there was...well...a change in the weather. From beautiful calm day to almost hurricane strength winds, rain, and lightning! It came out of nowhere. Window were vibrating, pool and beach furniture flying everywhere, rain shooting horizontal, huge waves and whitecaps formed...all in about a 2 minute span of time. The place went from busy to deserted just like that! I've been through a lot of hurricanes and while this was probably not hurricane strength winds (despite what I over-enthusiastically exclaim in the video below)...it certainly was gale force. Just incredible.

It's calmed quite a bit now, but can still hear thunder in the distance and the wind is still blowing fairly well. I see a couple of guys from the hotel starting damage control.

Here's some crappy cell phone video hot off the press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7sOV8hdZ5Y

That was fun! Hopefully the Gods were just clearing things out for better weather for the rest of the week.

Holly's flight is delayed at least an hour and a half out of Houston, due to storms in Dallas stranding her flight crew. Hopefully she'll get in the air soon and it won't get canceled altogether due to the crew going "illegal."

Molokai soon...I hope.

[ Edited by: PremEx 2007-06-13 16:59 ]

T

Just a nice afternoon shower ..... look for another one tomorrow !!!!!

On 2007-06-13 16:17, PremEx wrote:
Here's some crappy cell phone video hot off the press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7sOV8hdZ5Y

what are ya doin inside with all that fun going on?!? :)

Weather is crazy up here in Orlando too, been hitting hard for short periods a few days now. We'll be arriving at the cabana tomorrow late afternoon!

-adrian

...and it's tooooo stormy in Florida. Yep. Wouldn't want to be there...

The days are warm/hot and pleasant. The thunder and rain rolls through strong but its gone in about 90 minutes...

Sunbathing by day.... and in the late afternoon the thundershowers will force us all in for a much needed rest and recoup for the evenings events..

Weather is fine.

K

I agree -- weather is FINE! Hope y'all are in for some fun at the Bahia Cabana poolside tomorrow night. There will be much merriment and excess. Oh, and noise. Lots of noise. Especially from the bands playing.

We might even play some real music...

Nah...

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Kanekila 2007-06-13 19:45 ]

I'll start the cannonballs into the pool! :)

Getting on a plane in 8 short hours... sleep is going to be tough tonight!

M

Well...

Thor and I checked into the Clipper today at about 3:30, an have been sitting at the Wreck Bar since then. Didn't see any other Hulilau'ers there. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!

If anyone is interested in having lunch... I will be eating at a great local restaurant - Southport. Shoot me a PM - most Cabbies know where it is (Off 17th street on the water).

T

If anybody is available I'll be having Happy Hour at Scores on N. Federal Hgwy... your Limo driver will know where it's at !!!
First Lap Dance is on me ... not on me so to say ...arrrrr.you get what I mean !!!!

Here is the introduction that aired today on our local news..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGN8lZmB3fY

Featuring Tiki Bree and King Kukulele introducing the 2007 Hukilau. Also showcasing two of the more fabulous models from Sarong-A-Rama!

Sorry for the low quality, it was the best I could do in a rush....

Nice clip!

Probably the best press yet!!

I'm feeling homesick!

:(

How cool is that! I personaly know two high-fashion models! I'll be there in a few hours! :drink: :D

So great to see a few ohana last night at the Molokai!

...just figured I'd post a photo of one of the pieces I recently finished just in time for Hukilau.

I ain't got much to report... see everyone later tonight!!

P

More crappy cell phone video...this time LIVE! (well...a couple of minutes delayed) from the Hukilau Kick-Off Party in full swing right now...at the Bahia Cabana!! Haole Kats doing a great job swinging the joint wild!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7jRk8vCQgE

:)

P

What a great evening! Wrapped up (by Holly and I, at least) by the midnight swim of 3 beautiful mermaids in the Wreck Bar pool at the Yankee Clipper! More crummy cell phone video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il5bWkKf6MA

Great first day at the Hukilau! Can't wait 'til tomorrow!

:)

P

When I get to the end of my life and think back on things I wish I would have been there to see, I know that the midnight mermaids will be near the top of the list. Whoever did the video of them on YouTube has my lifelong gratitude.

It's 6:40 am and me and KokaNut are heading down now. Save me some sand.

Thanks for the videos too, PremEx, et al.

P

On 2007-06-15 03:43, pablus wrote:
When I get to the end of my life and think back on things I wish I would have been there to see, I know that the midnight mermaids will be near the top of the list. It's 6:40 am and me and KokaNut are heading down now. Save me some sand.

Well...the lovely Marina the Mermaid will be appearing again today at Noon and 5pm. And after her performance...Hukilau'ers will be permitted to jump in the pool to have their pictures and videos taken with her through the glass windows of the Wreck Bar.

That should make for some interesting pictures!

So if you get here in time today...

:wink:

[ Edited by: PremEx 2007-06-15 07:49 ]

S

Could someone please tell Miss Suzanne (The Diva Pinup-she sells fabulous hair flowers~!) that I say howdy, and wish I was there!
Thanks!
Sweetpea

On 2007-06-15 03:43, pablus wrote:

When I get to the end of my life and think back on things I wish I would have been there to see, I know that the midnight mermaids will be near the top of the list. Whoever did the video of them on YouTube has my lifelong gratitude.

It's 6:40 am and me and KokaNut are heading down now. Save me some sand.

Thanks for the videos too, PremEx, et al.

a round of drinks goes out for Mr. P. for pulling an allnighter !!!!!!

K

Cut out this afternoon at lunch to investigate and will be back tonight for the main event.
Got to talk to Tiki Tony at the bazaar. Really a nice guy plus has great tiki's for sale.

Thors section is incrediable, I wonder whats under wraps in the corner. Says its a new painting he will unveil on Saturday.

Lake Tiki wall hangings and pendants are really nice and look authentic. I should have bought some.

A little disappointed that Danny and Steph didn't make it to the bazaar.

Also saw Mike the Jetsetter walking around, his place is really worth going to on Sunday.

Really can't wait till tonight.

Great videos....wow that storm looks crazy. Loved the Fabulous TV News Footage...how exciting. Wishing you all safe weather....wish I was there. I am looking forward to all the pictures. :)

Just returned to the Palm Beaches for a private party tonight @ the Jetsetter after 2 sensational rum-fuilled days at the Hukilau.

The opening night bash at the Cabana, the mermaid swims, Tiki Bazaar, seminars, Tiki Road Trip 2, and last night's event with live Voodoo II were magical!

The after party last night was the joint - with the Haole Cats and friends 'unplugged' on the balcony, and one of my dear simian friends surrealy unwinding in the hot tub. Only at the Hukilau!

Tonight I rest MY liver while all get to cavort at the legendary Mai Kai. (Have a Jet Pilot or two for me!)

Probably a good thing in advance of tomorrow's Finale here at the Jetsetter - the Ultimate Cosmic bash!

Until manana...

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the headlines tomorrow are not going to be good. There has been a terrible tragedy this year at Hukilau, I just saw it on the news.....

This just in....
At the 6th Annual Hukilau, an annual event celebrating all things Tiki and paying tribute to the Mai-Kai (now in it's 50th year!), reports are coming in that can only be described as horrific. The only information that can be confirmed so far is that a little over 500 people have attended this years events. The number is unconfirmed at the moment as the head count is still underway, and it is expected to be even higher.

The latest information we have, and I have to repeat that this is still unconfirmed, is that at least eighty-percent of the attendees of this annual event have actually destroyed thier livers. One of the survivors, seen in the photos on the left, who was found stumbling from the hotel and screaming at the sun was quoted as saying over and over again as if in some sort of delierium "I am never drinking THAT again..."

We will continue to report as more details become available. Now, back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

That is just sad C&A. Keep us posted on this terrible tragedy. :lol:

The mermaids were fabulous! One day I'm gonna make it to this event...thanks for posting the mermaids..made my day!

mahaloz,
tiki_butt

P

The clothing this year was exceptional.
The vintage stuff - I love it. The burnt oranges and lime greens and ocean blues.
Add a rum barrel to it and it makes a kaleidoscope effect as you peer through the crowd.

Always fun and educational to hang out with Jochen, my Bavarian soul-brother.

Great to reconnect with many and meet many more that I will hopefully reconnect with at a future event.
Or something like that.

JTD, your invite is officially engraved in stone.
Virani, take care of that theremin.
Tiki Chris was the most gracious of men.

I think I was making out with some gorilla at the Cabana party on Friday.
Orange jumpsuit, fur. It's all a blur.

King Kukulele is the King for a reason. He knows every song ever and re-writes those he doesn't know into better songs.
He's become a good friend over the years and for a monarch is very approachable. Fear not.

Haole Kats. I love those guys like brothers, maybe even more... if you know what I mean... and I think you do.

I have only one sour observation. If the Hukilau sells out the entire Cabana, then why is a weary rock band playing in the restaurant there completely crushing the island vibe with crappy renditions of big hair rock?

Basement Kahuna's Hair.

I think the new kings of hosting the after party live right here in Tampa.
Can YOU guess who they are?

Chip - Ahu called and he wants his homemade libation crown back. Your falernum rocked and so did the pimento.
I want to know what the heck was in that jar that looked like beets in alcohol. Traitor Vic said it was strawberries in moonshine. Say it ain't so.

Waitiki.

The Californian contigency just wasn't the same this year. Us East Coasters can't do the 4am thing without your energy kicking in at the wee hours. The Europeans were mostly zombies by 1am. Except Joe, he never sleeps. Bangboom Ben, Kern was weeping into a Mai Kai Special (like a banana in your mouth) when we talked about you.

The Crazed Mugs had fun. It was swinging to play at the Molokai last night, especially Hot Lava's new tune about the Rum Barrel. Mr. Ho had a big grin on as that tune was belted out, so we know that it's a good tune. Meestah Ho IS the Rum Barrel Master.

Louise.

Another highlight was the glamorous Pia asking if I had gotten her emails about us playing the Molokai Lounge.
I hadn't. I'm honored. We'll be there in a few months.

Great party, TIki Kiliki, and packed with stuff to do and things to see.

[ Edited by: pablus 2007-06-17 08:07 ]

On 2007-06-17 07:16, pablus wrote:
Chip - Ahu called and he wants his homemade libation crown back. Your falernum rocked and so did the pimento.
I want to know what the heck was in that jar that looked like beets in alcohol. Traitor Vic said it was strawberries in moonshine. Say it ain't so.

Nope! He'll never get it back if i have my way. Besides, I have already put it into the safe.

At the bottom of the pool.

Guarded by sharks with laser beams on thier head.

The "Mystery Jar" credit goes to the host of the party and yes it was Strawberries. I think it clocked in somewhere about 190 proof. Was the final blow to a couple of livers this weekend.

Greetings, land dwellers~

Just wanted to drop a note to say what a thrill it was to perform with you Tikiphiles and Exoticats for Hukilau 2007.
It was really great to have been received with such enthusiasm and warmth.

Mahalo from the Marina the Mermaid ~

Also special thanks to my "guest mermaids", Kali & Kani'ela- they did a fantastic job.

I mustn't forget another special guest- the Evil Hate Monkey, who made the Pearl Diving Swim on Saturday a most memorable one indeed!

Mahalo to all of those who fight to keep the tiki torches burning: Tiki Kiliki for her fierce "black belt" dedication to the "Tiki Arts"~ Thor for that fantastic art piece (I can't stop staring at it!), James T. (Anything fer you, pal!), Duda Lei Te for the fabulous mer-tunes and to all of those who approached with such kind words and praise- It really meant a lot.

Always Your Mermaid,

Marina
PS: Here are some vids-enjoy!
Friday's Mermaid Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jme9y09MzeM
Friday's Pearl Dive Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsj5Ors4FjA

[ Edited by: TikiMermaidMarina 2007-06-18 15:40 ]

[ Edited by: TikiMermaidMarina 2007-06-18 21:24 ]

TB

Kiliki, you did it again!!! Thank you for delivering another fabulous Hukilau. You have an amaging talent for crafting a rich schedule of delightful activities that stimulate our minds, bodies and souls.

Orchid Wahine, you ROCK!! I know how hard both of you worked to provide us such a sensational event.

Kudos to all the people who devoted their time & talent to Huk' 07.

Thank you for the best Hukilau ever!!!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree 2007-06-17 19:26 ]

Evil Hate Monkey = Bababooey!

S

On 2007-06-15 09:42, sweetpea wrote:
Could someone please tell Miss Suzanne (The Diva Pinup-she sells fabulous hair flowers~!) that I say howdy, and wish I was there!
Thanks!
Sweetpea

Pea!!! You were missed! The Hukilau was incredible, and next year you are coming with me, even if I have to pack you up in a suitcase! Mark your calendar for June 12-15 2008!
--Suzanne

P

Guh.........

Buh.........

Wow that mermaid is making me crazy.

Louise, save me.

V

Louise, dear Louise...

V

only 1 important photo from the Hukilau (for me I mean) :

The flower in her hair even matches your shirt.

Genius!

Thanks Tiki Kiliki !!!

PICTURES !!

It was great to see everybody again and meet new peeps! I had a blast!

Stay tuned for info on when & where your pictures will be posted. I will probably put a link in this thread. Thanks to Libran and Joe Schuster for helping take photos this year.

You people are beautiful! Chris, gotta talk about getting me in one of those hats Dude!

Has anyone seen my pants? I remember having them when we went to the beach after the Mai Kai.....

Suzanne, great to party with you again. I will send you that disc.

Matt & Mary you kids are crazy, I will return the favors at the next SF Pub Crawl. When is that?
Speaking of..... Missed you Hanford & Huma!

Snaps to the Boise girls from Reef for hanging Sat, night. How you missed getting your pictures taken that night is beyond me. It was Boise, right? I am ready to shred with the mountain girls, I got a pocketfull of skymiles and a thermos full o' rum!

Bree, you always make my heart skip a beat when I see you.

Dude.... I am NOT Swamp Tiki! Really... will the real Swamp Tiki please show himself!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2007-06-18 07:06 ]

[ Edited by: bohemiann 2007-06-19 07:13 ]

[ Edited by: bohemiann 2007-06-19 11:29 ]

S

Hurray! Pics! I can't wait for the CD either - I'll PM my address to you, Bohemiann. I'm working on uploading my photos and promise to post the link soon as well! Here are a few as a teaser:

First Round of the Hukilau:

Attack of the Suffering Bastards:

Look, it's me!

Creative Tiki Placement at the Tiki Bling Booth:

Ooga Booga! Don't forget to vote for Dr. Cardoo on YouTube!

Conch Blowing:

No caption necessary here:

Obligatory photo of the Mai Kai sign

Tiki Boogie:

Intoxicators

The Mayor of Exotica, Suzanne, and Bohemiann

Link coming for more photos soon!

--Suzanne

The Diva Pinup Exquisite Hair Flower Accessories - http://www.thedivapinup.com

[ Edited by: suzanne 2007-06-18 10:58 ]

[ Edited by: suzanne 2007-06-18 11:18 ]

S

P.S. Bill, you lost your PANTS?!?

hahahahahaha

--Suzanne

Hey Suzanne...It's Liz in Cambridge UK, here. We should'a done a swap... A Hukilau mug for a London Luau mug!

Glad to see you looking SO gorgeous and having fun. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Man, I wish we could have been there again this year.

V

OK, more pics :

Me and Swanky :

Me and Jeff Central

Crazed mugs :

Jeff Berry and his zombie side :

Mysterrrry girl :

Waitikis :

Well, it was back to work this morning, with lots of great memories from this weekend. I've finally had a few minutes to throw some photos online. Amazingly, I took very few this trip (it seems I had a drink in my hand more often than a camera, not sure why) :D

Photos are here: http://www.rumreviews.com/?rr=events&eventid=37

here are a few:

My wahine showing off her new flowers:

Time for the fashion show:

A neighbor of our room at the cabana... a few feet long, and was out on the roof of the restaurant:

Here's a short vid of a jam session during one of the after parties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lemidVYAkto

S

On 2007-06-18 11:21, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
Hey Suzanne...It's Liz in Cambridge UK, here. We should'a done a swap... A Hukilau mug for a London Luau mug!

Glad to see you looking SO gorgeous and having fun. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Aw, that would have been great! Thanks for the nice compliments too!

--Suzanne

K

Well, we Hukilau newbies, David and myself, loved every freaking minute!
Thanks to Tiki Kiliki, Bree and Sandra of the Fashion Show, and everyone who was so friendly and welcoming!
We met so many great people and look forward to next year's Hukilua. Great tunes, great vendors, wonderful time!
The Mai Kai was unbelievable!

Pictured here at left with the NYC Hukilau contingent! (We actually met two more New Yorkers (not pictured) on the shuttle to the Mai Kai.

P.S. Putting together a Hukilau slideshow. I'll let you know when I post it on Myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/nykikilola

http://bp1.blogger.com/_9uIoev_-UT0/Rnac6NIddCI/AAAAAAAAAPY/qZV-fDi1XRs/s400/DSCF2199.JPG

Mr. P rocks!!

Bummed we missed it this year.

Maybe next year we'll take over again!

Love,

The TropiCaliFornians!!

p.s. Florida! come to Oasis and we'll tear it up !!!

You too Kern!!

Visit me on Myspace too! It's Benz Arts fault!
http://www.myspace.com/BambooBen

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2007-06-18 21:18 ]

Hey hukilauers,

Its Steve, dreamoftiki's boyfriend (no, I'm not the fictional excuse she uses not to date you).:lol: Anyway, work forced me to miss my baby's debut as a model and I'm tearing myself up about it. If ANYONE has ANY pictures of her in the fashion show, I am DESPERATE to see them (no matter the quality). My doctor says I have a week to live and only seeing pictures of the sexiest model in Sarong-O-Rama (and I do mean Liz) will save me. Do you want to have that on your conscience? Save a life - Send your pix.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2007-06-19 13:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 143 replies