Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first pieces . . . and pekapeka updates

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies

B

Hey hey hey, Looks like you have hit the Jack Pot there except for that funny thing on the end of the wire? Are sure you didn't get ripped off? :P Nice tool. You're in trouble now.
KEY Looks Great too!!!

great progression cant wait to see whats next

ok - I have some questions for those amounst us who are knowledgable about such things

I am setting up an inside wet bench :lol:

I have the grinder . .

and I have the buckets . . .

but as you can see - I am now kinda lost . . .

stumped even. (did someone mention stumps???) :lol:

any pointers gladly accepted!

Thanks for stopping by. . .

KS

PS - an update on the 21st key for you Benz

:D

B

Thanks for the update, looks like the sicknes is taking you over completely, not long now before you'll be looking for excuses to avoid all manner of household duties to enable more carving time. Pretty sure you will have everyone in the house assisting your every chip removal and tool purchase! :P
I'm afraid you have a very bad case of carvers sickness and there is no hope left. Just go with the flow and all will be OK. Meanwhile I'm getting a list of tool and wood suppliers ready for your new found addiction.

No suggestions? Hmm - I am after affixing those buckets somehow to the grinder, so I can set it up in an inside wet area.

Any suggestions muchly appreciated.

KS

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2008 2:54 AM

Are the guards on your grinder screwed on or permanently attached? I did have pics somewhere of a semi-pro bucket job, but no luck...will have a dig through the backup folders....

TY Paipo

it is a ryobi, and the guards are held in on the motor side of the wheel, by afixing the wheel - I think - any way to remove them i have to remove the wheel

I have removed some part of them - thats right - the outside bit, only the inside bit is still attached - the diamond wheels were too fat for the outer guards.

I was thinking of bolting them on, with the head of the bolt on the inside of the guard, but to get my fat wee fingers in there, with the wheels on, may be difficult, also getting the wheel back on with the buckets on could be difficult.

very happy to try and make a bracket to affix it, if you have ideas on how.

KS

T

Try taking the inner metal guards off KS , and use the mounting holes to attach the buckets .
If it doesn't work , put them back on again

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2008 3:15 AM

You can use the guards that come with the grinder, but you need to cut them down so you have access to more of the front and underside of the wheel. You really only need the top and back covered to direct the water into your sink/s.
Buckets are easier (not mine - this is much slicker than my setup):

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-09-02 03:19 ]

just a shot front and back of the guards and how they attach

front

back

ty

KS

On 2008-09-02 03:15, Paipo wrote:
You can use the guards that come with the grinder, but you need to cut them down so you have access to more of the front and underside of the wheel. You really only need the top and back covered to direct the water into your sink/s.
Buckets are easier (not mine - this is much slicker than my setup):

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-09-02 03:19 ]

wow - what a cool double sink bench!!!!!!!

excellent - so I remove my guards, and use the bucket instead, and cut it away to suit.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou Paipo

Now just to sus the getting water to the tools thing - and I know that requires a large bottle with grauating smaller tubes to the place where you want the water, and a bigger bottle underneath the sink lol. In the case of the grinder - a sponge works a treat - but the dremel is a bit trickier . .

Hoping to get the sink unit at the end of this week - to install next week - to quote Benz "happy happy happy"

KS

Sorry for the delay Merran - I took these pics several days ago but have only just found time to post them!

On 2008-09-02 03:15, Paipo wrote:

Heres a few shots of my water shield illustrating the method Paipo describes above. The first shows approximately how much needs cutting off the original spark-guard in order to minimise waterspray but also allow vision. As well as reshaping Ive also flipped mine backwards to flare away from the wheel (instead of enclosing it in two halves as they originally come) to allow that little extra room to work with when attaching the new plastic shield:

This shot shows how the flipped and chopped guard is now used to secure the plastic shield which reaches between two grinding machines and over the entire sink:

I lined two identical machines up either side of the sink and attached the sheild the same way to each machine:

Hope this helps.

--

quoting myself:

ps: have you ever seen those large knobbly steel burrs for woodcarving? I bought a set years ago and havent used them yet..

I found the things I was talking about. A bit larger than I remember & most likely too big for your 21st key project, but I can see a smaller set of these being great fun for sculptural work. I did experiment with using these for limestone carving a few years ago, held in an ordinary electric drill. The shape of the drill and sideways rotation didnt really do it for me but if a grunty enough handpiece could be found..

Keep up the good work!

Now there's an idea - two machines!!!!

hmmmm

what could I use the other end for?

At the mo, I have but one machine, and will need to move it out of the way to use the dremel in my sink. will post shots soon - almost got the sink sorted - came up against a lack of man strength to use a silicon gun today - personally - I think it is a faulty tool, either that, or I used to be much stronger than I am!!! All set to go but for siliconing the thing in, and letting it set and dry, and putting the water supply and catchment buckets in place, then my workspace will at last be ready! And the real bonus? Having my own space means I can walk away and return and pick something up again, rather than have to set everything up from scratch each and every day.
Those burrs look MEAN Tama!!
Would love to try some - from whence did they come?? :)

been working on workspace setup, and my regular job, (oh - and sailing - saw Orcathe other day), so havent been doing much carving - a bit more on the 21st key, need to get that done, and a couple of other wee things need finishing. Will post pics when there is something to show!

Thanks Tama, and Paipo, for your feedback re guards - went with a system like the one Paipo showed. Excellent shots btw - would love to have seen more of the water supply!
Thanks also to Ben, for your constant encouragement and guidance.

Cheers Brothers

KS

B

Congrats on the Orca sighting experience, the world comes to a stop for a moment hey?
Can' wait to see your work space up and running and see you finally being able to carve some stuff.
That 14 piece Marples set is still viable and has not gotten out of hand like I expected.

R
Robin posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 9:48 AM

Wow KS...very impressive. I love the way you jump right in and go for it....this work is great! I'm pretty jealous.

Hi all

an update from my bench

Manaia key

the head end

and the tail end

still a long way to go - but starting to get there with the 3D!!

thanks for looking

KS

B

Well this is definitely looking better! It has come a Long Way from Here:

Keep pecking away and before you know it it'll be done!

Peka peka nearly complete - just the lashing to do . . . drop off tomorrow morning

thanks for looking

KS

OOooooohh! Very nice. I'd love to see how you're cutting the abalone shell, and glueing I presume. What kinda glue?

T

On 2008-10-07 13:44, surfintiki wrote:
OOooooohh! Very nice. I'd love to see how you're cutting the abalone shell, and glueing I presume.

What kinda glue?

chewing gum :D

sorry , couldn't resist that one ......:lol:

In the heart of my soul . I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
But I was born here . A Celt in Maori lands . And my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-10-07 17:11 ]

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-10-07 23:39 ]

On 2008-10-07 13:44, surfintiki wrote:
OOooooohh! Very nice. I'd love to see how you're cutting the abalone shell, and glueing I presume. What kinda glue?

Well, just using a cut off wheel to get the rough shape, then shaping with the bench grinder, then finer shaping with the dremel tool with small sanding drums. Simple really
Then glueing with epoxy - there was a wee bit left over from building the boat - and I have been using it for my ill-begotten plans :)

Chewing gum would work tho - so long as you chewed it until it was soft and gooey, then placed it ever so carefully into the space, pressed the shell into it, then left it till it was hard. . . I wonder if it would soften again at body temperature? Any takers? :)

I do believe they used to use wax. Where they got that from I truely do not know - the native bees of NZ dont really have hives?? Any one know about that one?

Cheers Surfin and Jock, and you too Ben :) (been doing some sanding today :) )

TFL

KS

edited - double post - sorry guys :)

"Open your heart to me slightly, and I will show you the World" The Zohar

[ Edited by: kiwishaman 2008-10-08 03:17 ]

T

On 2008-10-08 03:02, kiwishaman wrote:
I do believe they used to use wax. Where they got that from I truely do not know - the native bees of NZ dont really have hives?? Any one know about that one?

Wax , KS ? do you mean for the eyes ?

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-10-08 03:16 ]

On 2008-10-08 03:13, Toataiaha wrote:

On 2008-10-08 03:02, kiwishaman wrote:

Wax , KS ? do you mean for the eyes ?

aha - i do mean for the eyes - did they not? and did they not used to use the wax to hold in shell? No? I am very open to being corrected Jock - thanks :)

KS

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/9106/483e350c.jpg)  

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-10-08 03:16 ]

T

The red wax eyes in tiki with are from the 19th cent , the wax that is , some of the tiki may be older .
The wax is letter sealing wax , which if I recall correctly , was used in place of a plant gum/resin that had red ochre added . The name of which escapes me .
It represents 'Ka harare nga karu'
The red membrane on inside of the eyelid,
bleary eyes too.
The wax was used on the rim of the eye , the 'pupil' was a stone stub left in and carved around .

Paua inserts had a hole in them and they jamfitted over the pupil stub , maybe backed up with some gum .
If you look closely at the paua eyes , you will see the serrations around the outer rim .

Where I say 'was' and 'had' , you can read 'do' and 'have' , 'cos they still get done that way .

Were red eyes and paua eyes combined on the same tiki ? I don't know .

All of the above is me going on my memory of what I have been let in on , verification won't go astray ,
'cos after all I'm a tartan Jock , what do I know :lol:

Happy Happy Happy :)

Went on an epic road trip on the weekend, and came back with some ? NZ Kauri??

So, got it home, cut one piece into two poles, and a slab, then cut some blanks from the slab.

Made a Hei Matau, and a Hei Tiki - to see if it really is Kauri - what do you think?

The matau has been finished with Danish Oil, and the Tiki with Linseed oil. . .

Hei Matau

Hei Tiki

Thanks for looking!!

KS

KS ,
good carvings there , ya getting the hang of it alright .
The head style of the tiki , it has the look of Taranaki and /or Pare Hauraki .
Nice , I like it .

Thats a fine bit of wood too
It certainly looks like our Kauri , all pale , no dark grain , and unless it is a trick of the screen , it has that shimmer , that chatoyance , that our Kauri is renown for .

If I may suggest a change of oil next time .
Linseed and Danish have a darkness to them , and as time goes by the wood will darken , and possibly drown out the silken grain . Plus , they stink for ages eh .
Steer clear of peanut , it stinks too , and if a wee kiddie sucks it , and has the allergy .....
A fine oil such as rice bran , grape seed , walnut, olive , etc will do better.
Hold the bottle up to the light , and pick the lightest clearest one .

n/n
Jock

Ok, mania done and ready to go. . .

thanks for looking!! :)

KS

ps - I see the lighting is really not that great - will try and get a better picture in better light - after the weekend lol.

KS

B

Really nice job KS, I know you worked on this one a long time. Was this your first wood carving when you started it?

On 2008-10-24 16:54, Benzart wrote:
Was this your first wood carving when you started it?

Thanks Benz for the comps.
Apart from a bit of whittling I did with a pocket knife years ago - yes - I have never carved before - this is my first piece. It was a real challenge. It is awaiting pickup this morning - hoping it goes down okay!

:)

KS

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies