Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

OK how about- Has anyone built a hut/bar using 6 inch diameter pine poles for roof supports?

Pages: 1 8 replies

If so got pics?

What are you guys opinions on these for backyard structures? From a structural, durability, and aesthetic perspective...?

I am building an outdoor bar and an A frame over my spa. I can't decide between the round poles vs 4x4 posts, redwood I assume. The poles are WAAAYYY more expensive, but look cool since they are round, like bamboo, duh :wink:. But I could "carve" the 4x4s with a router at a later date if I develop the skills. If they are both treated with varnish will they last the same?

Does anyone have pics of 4x4 posts "dressed up" with simple carvings or wrapped with rope, etc??

Any input will be greatly appreciated...

-John

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2007-06-27 14:41 ]

Aloha John, Aloha, John.
Get it? I said aloha John to Aloha John...never mind.
PM me for a product that I sell, it may work for you but this is not the place to sell anything.

My backyard deck is going through a transformation, but what was once a rather rickety thatch and bamboo lean-to over half the deck, is now a blue PVC corrugated roof with 2 by 4 beams (which are slowly being partially concealed by bamboo and bamboo/woodgrain blinds). The beams are supported by untreated wood poles attached to the original deck railing, and the poles make it all look fantastic! I was going to use square posts originally, but then opted for the poles; and I'm glad I did. I'm afraid I don't have photos (I don't even have a camera!), but I would say go for the poles. The poles add a primitive look that, when accessorised by thatch, bamboo, wood masks, tropical plants, etc., really bring out that island look. Besides which, wood poles are just as much (or, at least, were) a staple of South Seas architecture as bamboo is.

HC

Aloha, In Vermont we're going to use poles and unmilled timbers along with cord wood walls to achieve an organic look....we figure the more it looks like nature the better...(the cord wood wall construction also allows for excellent natural insulation and is really inexpensive using pine and light weight wood )....NE winters make necessary accommodation for its effects .......the only difficulty for us is the massive weight of using whole tree sections ( a milled timber is usually lighter and the builders have a familiarity working with standard measurements. good luck ...go poles!

B
Bincho posted on Mon, Jul 9, 2007 7:19 AM

Go with poles! You will never be able to round/distress 4 x 4's without making yourself crazy.

There are a number of palapa and lodge construction resources that will demonstrate the construction.

S

Logs, not bamboo is used more for building A-Frames on the islands.

If you do an A-Frame, you will need to create a strong "block" on the outside of the logs on the ground. That structure is going to want to fly apart and there are two solutions: A) Make a frame, which means cross beams. But, you want it open inside. B) Secure the footers so they cannot move out or sideways.

The issue you are going to have is with moisture and those footers. You need to cover this thing so very little rain gets to the feet. Water and wood will lead to rot. Ideally, you keep them dry. Second ideal, you make a way for air to move under the wood so that it dries out when wet. For installed carvings, I have seen them put on pipes so there is little room for water to stay and room for air to move through and dry out the water. Figure out your solution to this problem before you start or you will be very sorry.

Dang Bincho...you are quite the builder....your stuff is awesome. I like the looks of the poles with the ropes on them....they look very sturdy and your use of different materials goes well together.

Thanks for starting this thread Aloha John....it helps us all learn a lot. I've learned that I want Bincho to come to my house to build my structures for me. :lol:

Aloha and thanks for all the advice...

WOW Bincho! That's the kind of pictures I was hoping to see. How are those poles distressed, do you know? Are there resources on the web that show how to wrap rope that well?

Yeah Swanky I hear you on the subject of drainage. I have lost several fence posts that were in the ground. I was planning on pouring some cylinder footings and using galvanized post anchors that keep the pole/posts out of the dirt. I can then wrap them with rope around the base to hide the anchors.

I was leaning toward 4x4s due to budget but that center pic makes me ponder once again.

Another aspect to consider is I want to have 3 beams protruding out from the roof, (1 in the peak of the A, and the 2 outer roof supports). They will be 2x6's I suppose. I still can't decide what style of end design I like for the protruding beams. I also wonder how the 2x6 beams will look mixed with round pole supports.

I think I am starting to get bogged down thinking too much...I just need open the BOT and pick a style/shape and go buy the lumber and build it!! :wink:

-John

B

Those are not MY buildings LOL!! , I just know a few Cal suppliers and was giving you examples. I will dig up the links!!

It will be cost prohibitive (IMO) to do real bamboo timbers of that size/strength- better to cheap it out and then aesthetically treat the exterior.

I COULD build this stuff, if I had no kids and no job to distract me LOL!!!

All I will say is that there is a Ewoks/Gilligan Island tree compound under Sloooow construction here.

Pages: 1 8 replies