Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 343 replies

On 2007-01-04 21:54, Otto wrote:
Hey all you crazy carvers!

Do you want to recreate this event at Tiki Oasis live?

Or would you be interested in exhibiting the top 5 or ten Tikis resulting from the Chop Chop?

Either way it would give publicity/notoriety to your event.

Let me know if you are interested and we can brainstorm ways to make it happen Aug 17, 18 at the Hanalei

This was the original suggestion for the Big Chop. I don't know if anyone actually wanted any publicity or notoriety for our little monthly gathering, but I thought it sounded like a nice idea. A little change of scenery.

Remember everyone, this is supposed to be fun.

Neither Otto nor the Hanalei are providing any support for this event. They were just cool enough to give us some space and some basic guidelines so we could do the same thing we do every month.

I see this as any other monthly Chop. (Granted, I don't normally carve in go-go boots.) I'm just bringing my usual set up and maybe a pop-up of my own since we'll be a little more spread out than we normally are.

As always, I'll bring the big ice chest with plenty of soda and water for everyone who's carving. I'll probably bring a double batch of the chocolate chocolate chocolate cookies. (I'm hoping that there will be Spam masubi also. :D)

This is what we do every single month.

Maybe the hard feelings are coming from the fact that the "special guests" are only going to be there because of the publicity and notoriety.

Then again, these people have lives. They can't necessarily drive down to SD or Oceanside once a month to hang with the locals.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be carving if it weren't for Bosko. And Ray has always been very kind to me. It's going to be nice to be able to hang with some new people, but at the core of this event it's just the usual crowd.

There will come a day when a lot of us won't be able to afford an original piece of art by Clysdalle or Mieko or Tikidav or Buzzy. Don't miss out on this opportunity to spend time with these incredible people. It really is something very special.

Looks like the 'koolkids' are coming unraveled....stay tuned !!!!

On 2007-07-31 12:05, TikiLaLe wrote:

Who are the 'koolkids'?

On 2007-07-31 12:12, Turbogod wrote:

Who are the 'koolkids'?

Not me, man. I'm just a San Diego douchebag. Let's hear it for vinegar!!!

M

Thanks Kate!

It really is just about getting some creative people together, having some time to work on our stuff and hopefully learn and get inspired by others. Like any month, I hope there are some new faces, as it's always great to learn from someone else.

I will have my normal musubis for us carvers. :) Not sure which day, but there will be some. :)

T

Danny(Tiki Diablo) is right . This is being overthought and frustrations are coming out because of it . If you volunteered for something , fulfill your commitment . Others are counting on you . And please dont make a big deal about it . Its all about having fun with a larger group . Simple !
Years ago Bosko , Danny , C'Al and myself as well as others were just banging on some wood in our own corner of California just because it was fun and creative . Others now are just doing the same.....thats it !
We can all learn from each other as long as we are willing . I love seeing a new artist bring something I havent seen before to a show . Also we are doing a service to the community . We are actually doing something with those damn palm logs that even the dump doesnt want.My vote is for Ben to get a list of these rules and piss on them till they spontaneously combust and lets just have fun . For my shop, I have only one rule .
Dont turn on the Oxygen channel .

"Beautiful star
Of my daytime drama
Yes it's in my hand now
You're my hope for a future
Beautiful star
Of my daytime drama
Love to win a boy
You're my hope for a future
Some are happy and some are amazed
Some are devoted
Some are saved
I was one, but i was saved
Again, again
Beautiful star of a daytime drama"

Wish I could be there! All of the drama and learn how to carve to boot. :)

On 2007-07-23 17:11, Tiki-Kate wrote:
In all my wacky Girl Power fervor, I told Cammo, as not to interfere with the integrity of the event, that I would spend the whole weekend carving in go-go boots. Just wanted to prove the point that women can do anything men can do, and yes, we can do it in heels.

I'm with Kate, I too will be choping in Go-Go Boots as well!

As far as the chop, I'm treating this like any chop I've been too. I'm a bright green when it comes to chopping. I'm strictly doing this for fun. The chops have been become one of my most favorite things these days.

I will be sharing what little knowledge I've accummulated. Chopping for me has been a fantastic stress release, creative outlet, and chance to spend some quality time with friends. I for one, am looking forward to watching and getting tips from experienced carvers.

Alright, I'm in too. Trust me folks, I am not doing this for any kind of publicity of any sort. Maybe y'all haven't noticed , but i am my own worst enemy for marketing and advertising. No website for years and most people don't know what project i am working on at the time. I post every now and then of stuff because Benzart's voice rings in my head. " Keep us updated" and "we need more carvings" .

I still love to carve, that hasn't changed for me. Y'all know what I'm talking about, that itchy carving finger you get when you know you have a great log and some sharp chisels. It is addictive.

I just want to have a little fun and see other enjoying themselves carving too. Hey these tiki parties we go to are for the most part "come one, come all" and that is what this chop should be. See y'all there!

M-F 9to5 PST
(310)973-0779

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2007-08-01 09:17 ]

i'm coming to see chicks in gogo boots carve and hang out with grog and laugh (not at chicks in gogo boots carving though!).

On 2007-07-31 18:33, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Alright, I'm in too.

Ah well, shiyet. Now TWO of my professors are showin up. Now I really gotta prove I gotta C. I thought I woulda skated through with just Bosko. But now..?
This thing better not be live otherwise Benz is gonna whoop me up somthin fierce with his strop.

I gotta start studien. I hope those Marples aren't too rusty,...er, dull. Better rusty and sharp than clean and dull!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 6:50 AM

Tiki Diablo wrote:

"Matbe y'all havent noticed"

I think my demo will be on correct spelling.

KIDDING! HA! Just KIDDING!

You know, a few things I've learned at these chops are -

1. Each one is different. Even if they're at the same house, they're a bizarre mix of people, fun, and sweat and totally unpredictable. You just never know what's going to happen. We've tried planning things but the whole Chop seems to take on its own life that has nothing to do with us!

2. Giving people a chisel, mallet and a fresh log seems to bring out their best, most creative instincts. It's weird. And their background & training has nothing to do with it. One of the best carvers I've ever seen was a dentist. Babalu had never worked on wood before doing his first two amazing tikis. I still don't know what Kate does for a living (she explained it to me but I don't get it) but it ain't carving tikis.

3. Tiki carving in a group forces you to carve better. I don't know why, it's not pressure, it's some kind of strange psycho energy thing.

4. Carving is good for ya. Better than coffee in the morning, better than sunshine in the afternoon. It's just plain good.

Laytah -

On 2007-08-01 06:50, Cammo wrote:
Tiki Diablo wrote:

"Matbe y'all havent noticed"

I think my demo will be on correct spelling.

KIDDING! HA! Just KIDDING!

You know, a few things I've learned at these chops are -

1. Each one is different. Even if they're at the same house, they're a bizarre mix of people, fun, and sweat and totally unpredictable. You just never know what's going to happen. We've tried planning things but the whole Chop seems to take on its own life that has nothing to do with us!

2. Giving people a chisel, mallet and a fresh log seems to bring out their best, most creative instincts. It's weird. And their background & training has nothing to do with it. One of the best carvers I've ever seen was a dentist. Babalu had never worked on wood before doing his first two amazing tikis. I still don't know what Kate does for a living (she explained it to me but I don't get it) but it ain't carving tikis.

3. Tiki carving in a group forces you to carve better. I don't know why, it's not pressure, it's some kind of strange psycho energy thing.

4. Carving is good for ya. Better than coffee in the morning, better than sunshine in the afternoon. It's just plain good.

Laytah -

Cammo(ya jerk) I found the SPELL CHECK BUTTON! Ha, I am going to use it from now on.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 9:22 AM

GROG not have gogo boots or a flame retardent log, so GROG not carve.

GROG,
Wear combat boots instead!
Seeing as you're a flaming retarded log,it's good that you won't be carving... :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 9:37 AM

OH yeah? Well you're just flaming! :P

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 10:05 AM

Tiki Diablo wrote -
"I found the SPELL CHECK BUTTON!"

Hey, I found it too, it's called my BRAIN!

Kidding! Just kidding again, big guy!

GROG and Little Lost Kenichi - somebody should lock you two up in a shed for the weekend and not let you out until you've gotten everything straight between you.

NEWS BULLETIN #3

The Carving Village will be hosting the Benson's famous Mai Tai Fine Big Retro 1974 Deluxe Bus - holy kabolies, I want one of these, and that cruiser bike out front is pretty Fine too -

We'll park the thing right in the middle of the Chop, on the west side of the lot to give us some shade. Thanks to Otto and the Bensons for arranging it. I was thinking we could paint Tikis with watercolor gouache all over the side, but we'll have to get their permission first...

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-08-01 11:47 ]

I was thinking we could paint Tikis with watercolor guache all over the side

Hey Cammo! It's spelled "gouache"! You got a spell check brain-use it!
Kidding! just Kidding big guy! :)

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 11:49 AM

Little Lost - hey, that's exactly how I did spell it!

You crazy, man?

:lol:
most impressive command of the spell-check AND editing tool!
:lol:

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 7:50 AM

Awwww, Cammo your just saying those nice things because I have a kiln. I also know that you are trying to bribe me not to mention your wrestling endeavor. Sorry brother, it's just to ripe of a topic to not share with the masses...

You see all, Cammo thought that he might be able to be a serious competitive combatant this year in the annual "Great Cage Match" that happens at the notorious Tiki Farm Bash....you know, jump into the fray with the other all stars that are seasoned pros. Well, Cammo knew he hadn't been in a good scrape since he got caught/found hiding in a locker - in the girls locker room - in jr. high, so he asked me to go with him downtown to the local gym to watch him get in a practice round or two before the Bash. You know, get warmed up and all. Well, he should have guessed that things were going to go extremely south when the bell rang and that chick yelled..."FOOL! - It's going to be a real bitch to pick up all your teeth with a broken arm!!" I guess a good picture is worth a thousand words.

T

she has a hairy navel ^

On 2007-08-01 09:28, little lost tiki wrote:
GROG,
Wear combat boots instead!
Seeing as you're a flaming retarded log,it's good that you won't be carving... :)

little lost tiki you owe me a new keyboard , i laughed so hard, soda shoot out my nose and shorted out my keyboard.:lol:

So, what's up, Cammo? You get your mess all cleaned up yet? I'm sharpening my chisels and it would be a shame if I had to carve a tiki out of your leg......although that would look pretty cool!!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 4:37 PM

Hey Babalu - that's funny, real funny. You're a real wise guy.

This is what YOU look like -

Jesus, Babalu! You need to lay off the sauce, man. Anyone down for an intervention chop?

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 5:16 PM

This is strictly a Hoity Toity matter. It has nothing to do with the koolkids

On 2007-07-30 18:19, billybobaloo wrote:
BUZZY, PLEASE SAY YOU WERE KIDDING!!

Billybobaloo: No, I was serious. However, things have been settled, CHANGES TO THE CHOP HAVE BEEN MADE, and the chop will be better than before. Read on for my explanation…

I’m glad all of you are so interested in making this event at Tiki Oasis a successful and memorable one. I’m also glad that there are people like Cammo who have been working for months trying to make this event happen by coordinating ALL of the aspects of this carving village.( And, I’d like to mention he did all this pretty much on his own. We just all nodded yes when he told us what the newest plan or idea for the chop, and he would call us back a couple days later and say he made it happen. ) Additionally, I’d like to especially thank everyone who has ever come to or been involved with us at one of our San diego Chop events since the very first event at Mieko’s house last November. We’ve had seven or eight of these events so far with the attendance ranging from 10 to about 25 people( and Clysdalle, the eating machine). The format and spirit of these events have been informal. Everyone is invited and everyone contributes what he or she can at the time for the collective well being of all. When Cammo came up with the idea of taking or show on the road to Tiki Oasis and be the central attraction of a Carving Village, we all thought that would be great. We wanted to exhibit how a bunch of burnouts and losers could come together and make tikis together, and hopefully inspire our guests to follow in our footsteps and organize chop events in their areas. It’s no small surprise that the San Diego carving and tiki art scene have been exploding lately. There are some amazingly talented artists here, and we all inspire, push, and help each other. We are the future of tiki, like it or not. There are many differing views on what the definition of tiki is in a historical context, but we, the current American producers of tiki art are in the process defining what tiki will be in the future. When people look back on tiki a few decades, hopefully they will find that in their historical references, the true heyday of tiki came about in 2008, when carving clubs sprouted up around America, after a group of friends from SoCal got together and held a carving jam.
I kind of got side tracked there so I’ll try to get back on topic, sorry…
So, some of my friends from the core group of the chop guys were wondering why I pulled out of the event earlier…Sorry it took me so long to get back to some of you and then post my explanation here, but first I’d like to thank some of the people who have nothing to do with the planning or organization this event for weighing in on the matter. It seems those who know the least have the most to say…
With that, I’ll try to make this brief:

I’ll admit it, I originally pulled out of this event because of issues with my enormous ego. I will not be upstaged by anyone, ever, nor will I even share the spotlight for a moment with others, and I feel like not only myself, but most of the whole group of original chop guys are being upstaged in our own house, at our own party. I threw a big tantrum, used a lot of bad words, and threatened to take all my logs and go home, and I got my way in the end.

This started the whole mess, in my opinion:

On 2007-07-23 17:11, Tiki-Kate wrote:
In all my wacky Girl Power fervor, I told Cammo, as not to interfere with the integrity of the event, that I would spend the whole weekend carving in go-go boots. Just wanted to prove the point that women can do anything men can do, and yes, we can do it in heels.

And this didn’t help:

On 2007-07-31 18:17, CheekyGirl wrote:
I'm with Kate, I too will be choping in Go-Go Boots as well!

So the girls are trying distract the focus of the event to themselves by looking hot. None of the guys in attendance at Tiki Oasis will watch interesting things like me carve a tiki in ten minutes or less, Babalu do that Peyote spinning carving windmill thing, Clysdalle eat, or Tikidav, the freaky robot perfect tiki making machine in action, because they will be watching chicks carve in inappropriate carving attire. This is sexy, but plain and simple discriminating sexism, and it was not going to happen on my watch. Not in the house that I helped build.
Rather than get all the guys pissed off at me and demand a dress code for the ladies, I decided to make all the ladies in attendance happy and carve in chick friendly attire:

Ladies, come check out Buzzy, The Sexiest Tiki Carver Alive, carving in his naughty nautical themed outfit at the Tiki Oasis Carving Village.

Never has my star shined so bright! I’ll have autographed color postcards of this new promo shot for sale for the ladies and you can take of picture of yourselves sitting on my lap for an extra dollar.

Oh yeah, the other change I had insisted on was no more 30 minute individual seminars. It’s just like the regular chops where we all just sit around talking and working, Clysdalle eating, our visitors wandering around and asking questions of whomever they want at whatever time they want, and our guest carvers carving side by side with us while we all help each other discover the joy of carving.

If any of you respond to this, could you please not hit “quote”. Just write “Re: Buzzy said…“ instead so we do not have to see this long post over and over. But please, leave the picture, because I cannot get enough of that.

Buzzy (was) Out!
Buzzy is a Tiki Guy and carver from Bay Park. I am the former Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines “Mr. Sexy Legs” and one time I ate a two pound chili burger in 11 minutes. I also invented surfing and punk rock- Buz

T

Great Buzzy...
Do you know how many GAY carvers this is going to attract???

H

OMG Buzzy, I am so there.............................Watching from far :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hope all of this is happening in the Parking lot.

Cammo will you be half naked as well??

Buzzy is back!! YAAAAAAAY!! Now let's have a log stripping party........stripping LOGS, not you guys stripping. Ew.

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 4:57 PM

Master Buzz,

I'm sure that you will be following the "A" number "one" rule of the the "House of Buzz"...Safety First! Hard hat and breathing mask are standard issue as you well know.

MN

Now I have to find something else to wear. Damn you Buzzy.

Hmm? Maybe I could wear a gourd.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 5:11 PM

Holy Hula, Buzzmaster! We're really glad you're back, I mean, you know, all us guys are really impressed, I mean, you know what I mean, ah...

Um, can we get a pose from Kate & Cheeky & Hiltiki & all the gals now too? The GAUNTLET is DOWN!

And yes, I had always planned on carving the whole weekend in bathing suit and linen shirt, but they sure as heck ain't as short as Buzzy's shorts! Whose are????

P
pdrake posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 5:20 PM

hey, mr.noname, i thought we decided this was your official futrure chopping outfit?

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-08-03 17:21 ]

On 2007-08-03 17:11, Cammo wrote:

Um, can we get a pose from Kate & Cheeky & Hiltiki & all the gals now too? The GAUNTLET is DOWN!

No way Cammo, you're not gonna get a pose from me! There's no way I'm risking Buzzy, Buzzin' out of this event!

I didn't mean any harm nor was it my intent to detract from the Native Chop in any way whatsoever. Carving in the go-go boots was intended in the spirt of fun and in theme of the oasis (Tiki-A-Go-Go).

Buzz, you've imparted way too many tips and knowledge on me--that is worth more than 1,000 go-go boots!
Really, Buzz, I owe you big time!

For what it's worth, my chopping outfit was going to be vintage Mrs. Brady Bunch Style Pink & White Paisely number with a pair of white go-go boots, nothing sexy or revealing.

And put me down for 2 post cards.

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 7:49 PM

Well, there's not much I can say that will top the previous posts. I only want to express that I do not have enough words in me to keep a 30 minute carving demo going for much longer than.......oh let's say.......about 30 seconds. Trust me, I'm REALLY bad at it.

I would much prefer to just carve, and if any observers have questions or comments, I'd be very happy to chit-chat with them. I feel that this would be a much better angle to take, despite the fact that it's going to be quite challenging with all the girls in their sexy go-go boots running around distracting me.

My question is will I be uninvited if I do not do said 30 minute demo?

T

I kind of think we're all doing one big demo all weekend long. People are welcome to come and go as they please. If they have questions about what we're doing, they are more than welcome to ask. Plus, when I feel I'm on the spot or being watched I tend to babble on and on anyway.

Again, it's just like every other Chop. There are always new people or friends of the folks who are carving who just come to hang out and watch. We do these little demos every single month. We carve. People ask questions. We explain what we're doing.

If Otto would like us to commit to being present in the village at a particular time or times, I'm completely cool with that (as long it doesn't interfere with my shopping plans.)

And Buzzy, my boots were so totally made for carving. :wink:

MN

HEY, HEY, HEY!!!! I didn't want a picture of me up here like that. That thing is grotesque and HUGE.

Look at my hand. Looks like I hit my hand with the mallet. However, I did not. God gave me the big hand to swing my mighty mallet. :o

Dave, every swing of the mallet will be counted towards the 30 minutes. If you have to stop carving to talk about tiki carving then you are out of luck. The mallet MUST be in motion and aiming for the chisel that is poised against the log.

Everyone that was originally told to do a 30 minute demo is planning on being there for much longer than 30 minutes during the entire run of the event, and none of us really wanted to do it anyway. We started to think about it, discuss it, and it seemed the demos would drastically alter the spirit and format of our usual gatherings, or create some potential problems.
I'll just mention some of the factors that were considered when we decided to switch this to an open multi carver demonstation. If all of us were to do a 30 minute demo, it would be nearly two whole days of demos strung end to end. That is almost the entire scope of the event. Two solid days of back to back demos? We started asking ourselves: Do we all stop carving and be polite and watch the scheduled demo? Or Do we be rude and carve on while our friend shouts over the din of 20 carvers and as many spectators as we can handle.
The original purpose was for the general public to come by, watch what was going on, and then if so inspired, have the resources at hand to give carving a try. So far, no one has objected to this worthy goal. It would be much more advantageous, from these observers point of view, to witness several different artists doing what they do simultaneously, with each of them giving, in some cases, a days long seminar, as opposed to a quick 30 minute demo. People will be encouraged to wander about and freely ask questions of any person working there. There will literally be 20 interactive seminars going on at most times. I can assure you all, there will certainly be more than one going on at ALL times.

It sounds like some of us are still a little unclear about the final change to the Tiki Oasis chop:
We will NOT be doing any prescheduled 30 minute demonstrations at Tiki oasis.

We WILL be doing several demonstrations, all at the same time, all of the time, throughout most of the daytime hours of Tiki Oasis.

Just like all of our chops in the past.

See all of you there. :)

Now, one more issue to address: The demos were originally conceived as part of a deal that entailed the admission of some selected people to the vending area on Saturday. To our new friends who have asked if they can come down, carve for 30 minutes, and then get into the vending area early on Saturday, let me say this: You bottom feeding mug collecting scumbags are an ass tumor on this fine event, and there truly is no end to the lows you will stoop to to support your habit. Next thing you know, if you do not watch yourselves, you will find yourselves on your knees behind the dumpster in back of the hotel, selling yourselves to feed your mug obsessions and addictions. We will welcome anyone who has an interest in carving, but not you slimy turds who want to come down as a way to get around forking over the dough to stay at the hotel and getting into the vending area before your time! Besides, the people who get there first will all buy an extra one to sell to you on ebay in a while anyway.

Buzzy Out!

Postcards coming soon!

H

So basically ...uhm, oh, ah, what are you trying to say? I don't get it.

Hiltiki: I said to everyone we were not doing demos and then everyone agreed and said good, we shouldn't do demos then, and that's funny cause that's what I orginally had said, so I said it again in case I didn't say it right, and that's why I had to say it again, because it seemed like some people didn't know what I had said. I hope I said it right this time.

Do I have to say it again?
Buzzy Out!

T

WEll I understand but I gotta change this shit up a little . I may be from Cucamonga but we take pics a little different up here .

Ill be selling these at my booth .

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 10:41 PM

OK, OK, OK, the demos are out! Look, if you want to do a demo that's fine, if you don't that's fine too. The whole carving village is one big carving demo anyway! (And organizing time at the Oasis is getting really crazy now.)

Buzzy's right. About the demos, that is.

Lets just agree with Buzzy, I'll do whatever he says if he'll go back to putting that Thor comic at the end of his posts instead of the beefcake picture!

M
mieko posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 11:55 PM

Yay for no 30 minute demos! and postcards? I need a POSTER! I think Costco can do 20x30 poster prints. I wonder if anyone would be offended if I had a Buzzy poster at work. Maybe and 8x10 glossy would go over better.
Buzzy - will you sign a picture for me??? Or do you charge $10 like some of those washed up actors at Comic-con?

I 2nd Meiko's "Yay for No 30 minute Demos". I'd much rather just carve. Since I'm such a newbie I was rather panicked about what I could talk about, so I'm perfectly happy luggin' the log I started at the last chop and just finishing it at the Oasis :)!

T

Hey, can I wear my wrestling outfit?

I have matching bandanas!

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Aug 4, 2007 6:53 AM

Forget Buzzy...I'm hanging next to Ray and his assistants! After that, I'm moving to Cucamonga.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 343 replies