Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BenZart...MaoriChief, Glass pendant Update Today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,583 replies

B

It's early Thursday morning and I feeling fine,almost normal.

Jonesey,thanks for the wishes
LLT, funny, in 50 years I'll be one of those Ancients looking over your shoulder telling you how to do stuff!
T Birdman, Thanks INeeded that,Right, enough about this sick stuff, time to get back to work!! You gus would be fine! CHEERS
HappyHappyHappy
WOW I can Breathe!

JT

That's some great news!! Good to hear!

B

Thanks JabTiki, I Agree 100 Percent!
Well I Messed around and finally finished this Maori guy. He is carved from "Chocolate" Curly Maple which can can take very fine detail He has 1 coat of hand rubbed Poly installed and will get a few more coats. He has fake Pearl eyes, He is 1 3/8" tall, 3/4" wide at the tips of the ears, and 5/8" deep at the nose. He is Well traveled around the floor of my shop and is Very familiar with the space under my desk. He's a bit cock-eyed and goofy looking in some ways, but he''s mean, lean and All business. He will have a brown cord and same wood toggle I'll get better shots when the finish is complete.
Enjoy!

B

MINE! :)

Happy, Happy, Happy, and Happy some more!

Nice work Ben!

Wonderful, clean lines on that Moko.

Good to hear you powered through the cold.

I am ready to move down by you. We are getting hammered by a 12 inch snowstorm again here in the Midwest.
I don't know how many more years of this I can take.

He turned out amazing Benz. The pearl eyes give him a out of this world stare.
Maybe with all the chasing it around on the floor you can tell the doc you are doing carve-aerobics to stay in shape :lol:

holy cow benz! amazing,man. soo much detail in such a tiny pendant

Incredible work, Benz!
Really like the color on this guy!

Benz your work is, once again, MAGICAL.
I'm getting pummeled by the snowstorm LakeSurfer got pummeled with. Oh Joy.
Yeah, I wish we'd all live on the same street down there in warm Florida!!

Beautiful piece, Benz... That detail is siiiiiick! Keep pushin'that bar higher and higher~~~ GOLDEN.

T

Benz, this is again another beautiful piece. I hope your now totally well and really back to your old self. I'm beginning to think that you are actually making self portraits in you art. It's funny, but I see you in each of your pieces. So when are you getting the face tatt's? :lol: And by the way, where is that girlie piece we ladies have been waiting to see? Or did I miss it? Come on, you can do it!

B

Thanks Babalu,, Soon!

Lake, Thanks for your kind words We have Plenny Sunshine down here to go around so Come On DOWN and Warm those Buns! Theres even some Room to do a bit of work in my shop

G-RuHa, Thanks, I'll ask the Doc if that hard exercise counts. I think this guy has a kind of Blank look ion his eyes. :P

T-Thomas, Thanks for adding to my inspiration.

T Duddy, you too way up north in the Really Freezing country. How do you even go outside to get anywhere?

Surfin, Like for Lake, theres Plenny room And Sunshine down here and there's even a few houses available for rent or sale next to me. C'mon Down!

Thanks Freddi, gotta keep you on Your toes! :D How you Been?

T-Pak, Thanks for the kind words and the other ones too. Soon, Soon.

OK Here are the final shots of the last guy. I'm Happy he's done as I was Tired of chasing him around on the floor. The toggle too seemed to want to walk away.

Dear Ben,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! IT LOOKS AMAZING!
Thanks for sharing the whole process of your carvings.
Congrats again from a student!
Hugs,
Sebas

WoooW! :o !
Ben, this guy has a wicked mysteriousness to his eyes-and faceform in general!
reallyREally cool!
awsome tattoo aswell

he reminds me a bit like a character from a videogame i played growin up lol.

Truly Incredible work, Benz- and on such a Tiny piece!

B

Thanks Sebastian, I'm really glad you appreciate the extra progress photos, thanks for the props, Now Back to work with you! :)

Dustin, thanks, I'd love seeing more shots of that guy if you can find them. Cool!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to Everyone here!
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY

T

Yup, now this sounds like the old Benz. Happy, Happy, Happy! Glad to see you're feeling better. Are you back to great health or are you rushing it? Love this last piece and who's the lucky new owner? :lol:

B

wow Ben...WOW!

I am sooo blown away to have my first BenZart! This is just an incredible piece!

My girls are making me take it off now so they can wrap it up and put it under the tree. All I have is this picture until Xmas...

The tiny detail in this work is just breath taking! Ben, you are sooo the man!

S

Sick, Sick, Sick! makes me smile large when i saw this
little fell! OUTSTANDING WORK!! Unreal Benz.

H

Happy Holidays to my favorite carver.

J

On 2008-12-20 05:55, Benzart wrote:

I have to move these to the next page. The size of the detail is incredible. You do have some fine motor control. There is a piece of dust on it in one of the pictures that is bigger than some of the grooves.
WOW.

Nice to hear you are doing better.

You got a hell of a gift Babs! And we all have "Benz-envy" now!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 23, 2008 2:36 PM

Benno,

Hope you feel better. Know that you are always in our thoughts. Thanks for all the inspiration and joy you have sent our way over the last few years.

• Doc and G

S
s!q posted on Tue, Dec 23, 2008 6:45 PM

your carvings are superb!! i really enjoy your work with the stone and bone mediums. the level of detail you are able to achieve is really awe inspiring, ive been a long time lurker of this site and finally decided to make an account so that i could complement your craftsmanship as well as to ask questions to further my interest in carvings and acquiring carved of art pieces.

-s!q

T

Damn it Benz, I so thought I had a chance at that piece. :lol: :lol: One can dream! That Babalu is one lucky man, and I have to say it really looks good around his neck. OK, I can't wait any longer, I want mine and I want it now! :D :D Have you even put it on paper yet? Send me a PM so I can get a sneak peak. I don't think I can wait till June to see it. Just kidding. How far down the list am I on getting it done. I know you're a few years behind all the request you must have. Well enough of me ragging on you. You're just starting to be your old self now. I hope you get everything you want for Christmas, after all you have been a very nice boy this year! But most of all I hope you have a very Healthy, Merry Christmas! Got to be strong to put out all those masterpieces we expect of you. :lol: :lol: What did you put on your Christmas list of wants?

Ok, its way to early in the morning to be this silly.. But once a clown, always a clown. (class) that is.. :lol: And where are you this morning. I expected to see you in SHOUT! DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!

Ok, I'm coming down tonight, so be good and no funny business. Make sure the fire is out, I don't want to burn the buns! :lol:

B

Thanks PakMom, Yes I AM feeling better but have to be careful, The dos thinks we cheated the Hospital with my getting better as I should have gone in to get fixed. Glad you like Babalu's new piece! :P

Thanks Big Time Babbs, I'm Happy it made the trip OK and Happier you love it so much. I Gotta Say it looks great around your Neck. thanks for the props
Nice Photo.

Seeks, Thanks for the kind words, How you BEEN?

Hiltiki, Thanks for the Bright rays of Loveshine and the sweet words of Love!
I Still love that guy under your tree. :) :) :)

Thanks Johnny, You know how to sweet talk the old Man Hey?
I Purposely left that piece of dust there for you to find, Good Job! Happyhappy

T-Birdman, Thanks for the kind words and holiday wishes.!

GMAN, Thanks back at'cha and the Doc. I Appreciate all your Support too!

Slq, THANKS for Coming on board, we're HappyHappyHappy to Have you here. Another Peeps snatched from the Lurkers tribe. :P
Seriously Welconr to TC and I'm Honored !
Definitely don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have as there are a few of us who are Long winded and love to answer them.

T-Paka, you should know by now if you see something you like you need to speak up early or it won't be available, YOU are SO Far DOWN the list we'll have to feed you with a squirt gun..:o: and you Might get yours Next christmasss!
HOWEVER, the NEXT piece I start will be yours! :P :roll: :o

Yes I Am feeling better though I can't put on any socks, my feet are Huge! I should be back to work today light duty style.
I Love All you guyz!
MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS

S
s!q posted on Wed, Dec 24, 2008 4:00 PM

*On 2008-12-24 04:33, Benzart wrote:*Slq, THANKS for Coming on board, we're HappyHappyHappy to Have you here. Another Peeps snatched from the Lurkers tribe. :P
Seriously Welconr to TC and I'm Honored !
Definitely don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have as there are a few of us who are Long winded and love to answer them.

i am very glad for such a warm welcome. long winded answers are my favorites, i love details. i am extremely curious on the tools members use for which application (ie. small, medium, large pieces), as well as what inspirations or external worldly elements went into each piece.

i went to get out my dremel today, and found that i am missing a receiver part for my bits, so in a few days ill be headed to the hardware store, hopeful with some additional items for my list than anyone can think of/ suggest.

B

Thanks S!q, and I follow Congas Q, How DO you Pronounce your Name?. I bumped up the "Tools Carvers use " thread so you can find it quicker. There is a Lot of info there about tools , links to find tools and all kinds of hints and tips. After reading all that post we can find one on Jade and then Stone. By that time you will be a Pro for sure.

S
s!q posted on Thu, Dec 25, 2008 1:00 PM

On 2008-12-25 09:40, Benzart wrote:
Thanks S!q, and I follow Congas Q, How DO you Pronounce your Name?. I bumped up the "Tools Carvers use " thread so you can find it quicker. There is a Lot of info there about tools , links to find tools and all kinds of hints and tips. After reading all that post we can find one on Jade and then Stone. By that time you will be a Pro for sure.

first i would like to thank you for bumping that thread and your words of encouragement, i will surely read through it after making this post. i pronounce my name 'sick' and everyone is welcome to as well, heh. i spend a good chunk of a recent afternoon reading all the way through Conga's voodoo child tiki creation thread, and boy oh boy was i impressed with some of the great sizes and weighs of both his starting material and finished product.

Meery Christmas Benz!! You are an inspiration to us all!! Hope you have a happy healthy New Year!!

Howdy Benz. Just doing a little carving here and there
slow going on the headdress area.

Looking FWD to another year of experiencing your happy happy happy stoke.

C

Oh wow babalu it's sooo lucky, that's an amazing pendant! Happy new year!

B

myspace

Thanks S!q, I'm sure you'll find More info than you ever thought of wanting to know about carving, just keep looking and asking..

SPERMY?? Happy New Year to you and Mrs Spermy. It's Always so nice to see you visiting my pages. THANKS.

Seeks, MerryC and Happy New Year too. Hope your new year is Slap full of new carvings?; Looking forward to seeing you at this years Hukilau??? :) Thanks for stopping by with the cheers! :P :D

Clarita , My Favorite ray of SunShine!!! Welcome and Thanks, you Always say the sweetest things. HappyHappy JoyJoy

I will have to add photos of a piece I started tomorrow as they disappeared and I need to shoot them again.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-01-02 18:25 ]

Benz,

Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year filled with more wonderful creations from your creative hands!

B

Thanks Lake, HAPPY New Year to you too, I hope this finds you safe and WARM. We'll be looking for Lots more goodies from your workshop this year so get busy.

OK, Here's this lady's face who is supposed to be a Polynesian girl with a hibiscus in her hair. It looks like she is headed for the "Box of 80" to give some of those misfits some company and who knows, good times too maybe. :P :)

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-01-02 03:46 ]

T

I don't know Benz, the lady is looking great to me and you've just started. Don't you dare throw her in the box of 80. You can always throw her my way! Me like :D :D So it's the New Year and I see you're off to a good start. A lady at that! I knew you could do it. And to think she looks like a blonde :lol: Me really like! And who pray do tell has commissioned you for this great piece? I'm be checking this one out for sure. :D :D :D

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2009 7:18 AM

Don't give up on the Polynesian girl, Benz! Sculpting a pretty girl's face is definitely not easy!! To me it's the ultimate test of any sculptor's skills. I'm still struggling with getting it right too.

Full steam ahead!!

Looking good Ben. Don't give up.

Bowana - I seem to recall seeing something similar you were doing??

Happy NewYear, Benz!

New piece looks Cool!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2009 10:10 AM

Do it to it, Benno. I know female faces give you fitz; it's time to push.

B

its a benzart!

we know it will be great!

happy new year Ben

T

OK Benz, you've had a half a day now, so let's see the progress on your hula girl. :lol: What's that, you went back to sleep, are you kidding me? :lol: No time to rest now, you've been out of it for a while and we need to keep you moving! Up, up up, I say.. Don't forget to take progress photos, every hour on the hour. :P And don't forget to give her nice blue eye's. :lol: What else you got up that sleeve of yours for this year! :o :o What do you have listed on that TO DO, little pad of yours? Ok, I just woke up from a long winters nap and I'm ready to go! Hey, how come Santa didn't get those carving tools for me that I asked for? I've been a good girl? Well maybe not, I'll just have to go out and get my own. :) I've got to start something, I've had way to much time on my hands lately. Can't wait to go back to work, not! :( Well I'll be back here in about 4 hours and I want a least one photo update.. :lol: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Tikipaka!! Ha Ha ha , funny. Told ya good Benz! Ha
Happy friggin New Year Benzerooni! WOO HOO
Alright, update please.

B

Thanks T-pak, but Sorry, I threw her into the "Box" yesterday, just to see what you would do, then I took her out and will finish her up for you.

Bowana, thanks for the encouragement, I really did not know how it would end up and am a Little bit more satisfied that at least she won't scare the paint off the walls. You are right, the female form is Very difficult to do at least for me, it is a battle to the end. Yeah, seems like you Breezed thru your last similar project! :P

Thanks Aloha, I Won't yet and yes I seem to recall that same Bowana piece that was Killer. :)

Dustin, Thank you and Happy New Year to you TOO

GMANG, Yes, Right, Time to PUSH alright, Push her into The BOX! That'll teach her to give me a hard tome :P :o

Buzzard, Thanks for the confidence, Happy New Year to you too!

T-Pak, OOPS, I guess I didn't read your request/demand until just now so I won't have an update back then. You want the good news first or the Bad news?
OK I'll start with the Bad news,, NO New updates every hour Sorry :P :) the GOOD news it looks like I pulled hern back out of the Box and am working on her some more for now..

Yeah, Surfin, I'll REMEMBER That, don't you worry! :o
Happy FRIGGIN NEW YEAR to You Too Surfintoonie! Alright here's yer Update.

Still needs lots of teasing and refinement but I think she'll be OK.

T

Nice, nice Benz. :D :D Looking sweet, purty but you'll have to put some wrinkles on her. She looks very young. :lol: Ok, I started in SHOUT to say good morning and then jumped over here. So take your time and hurry up. :lol: I can't wait to see her finished. If you did all that in 1 day, she is going to end up perfect! :D :D you are the best! Have you noticed I'm like 2 hours behind schedule? Having a few days off of work has made me sleep way to long. But you know folks like us, need all the beauty sleep we can get! :lol: :lol:

B

B

Thanks T-pak, sorry I can't give her wrinkles. but she is done! At least she will be after I add more color.

Ah Ben, she's real purdy! Looks sweet enought to kiss.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jan 3, 2009 12:35 PM

Babs beat me to it, but I was gonna say you should call this one the "Bona Lisa"...or maybe not! :lol: I saw the resemblance right from the first pics. Looks like the Renaissance ancients are messing with your head too these days! I'm so glad to see you making stuff again, and pushing yourself in another direction with the usual mastery. I've been thinking of tackling a wahine for these last few months but I'm too scared...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1583 replies