Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Tuesday @ SAM'S Cancelled :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies

T

So Tiki Thursdays at Sam's???

On 2007-11-10 08:20, Tikitatt wrote:
So Tiki Thursdays at Sam's???

Let's do it! Just bring your rastafarian rainbow beennie for the Reggae Night later! From one island to another!

"Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2007-11-10 10:49 ]

i should have figured something was up at sams when the martini kings last played there on a sunday afternoon. the girl demi who booked us (and was off that day) left an envelope with only half of our pay(leaving the dirty work to a gal on duty that afternoon). after attemps at trying to locate the other half of our pay i was told that demi is no longer there......hmmmmm. i hate having a bad taste in my mouth left by sams, of all places- since we love it there.
anyway caution fellow musicians should you wanting to play there, apparantly an agreement just doesnt hold there.oh well, i'll let the tiki gods handle this one!
tony and the martini kings

T

On 2007-11-13 16:18, martini kings wrote:
i should have figured something was up at sams when the martini kings last played there on a sunday afternoon. the girl demi who booked us (and was off that day) left an envelope with only half of our pay(leaving the dirty work to a gal on duty that afternoon). after attemps at trying to locate the other half of our pay i was told that demi is no longer there......hmmmmm. i hate having a bad taste in my mouth left by sams, of all places- since we love it there.
anyway caution fellow musicians should you wanting to play there, apparantly an agreement just doesnt hold there.oh well, i'll let the tiki gods handle this one!

So, you never got the other half ?

If not, that's just plain BULLSH*T.

I spoke to Demi about doing an event there. She was nice, but It seems that they have a huge overhead and rent. Hence the $20 hamburger prices.....

Bummer, cos it all points to an unfortunate fate for Sam's.

What a shame.

TL

On 2007-11-08 17:19, WooHooWahine wrote:

SAD NEWS: Tiki Tuesdays at Sam's have been cancelled :(

Mega-Phoo!

The Lion had all four paws knocked out from under when multiple spinal disks failed in September, so missed the past (and it sounds like last) couple months of Tiki Tuesdays.

< ((
=:—<

On 2007-11-13 16:18, martini kings wrote:

sorry to hear about that Tony,
you guys are the ultimate in professionalisim, and that's F'd up for them to do that to you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-11-14 15:44, Tiki Lion wrote:

So: is there a move to encourage Pupu specials at Sam's on a different night?

... on the other paw, shorting the band ain't a practice I favor either...

This one's tough: it's not my business to mediate others' businesses, but Martini Kings get my support without any particular judgement.
Tony and gang, please accept my apologies for my earlier comment's self-centeredness; I hadn't put the pieces of postings together.

Do we have independent confirmation that Demi has left Sam's?

What more is there to this story?

wow ya lost me.... move along... hope all works out somehow.

hey everyone,
didnt mean to spread a bad word about sams. sometimes ya gotta eat it. that is rare but part of my biz.dont let what happened to me blemish your good time at sams. i still dig it either way. bottom line.. it's a cool place. go to sams and have fun!
tony

On 2007-11-15 18:28, martini kings wrote:
hey everyone,
didnt mean to spread a bad word about sams. sometimes ya gotta eat it. that is rare but part of my biz.dont let what happened to me blemish your good time at sams. i still dig it either way. bottom line.. it's a cool place. go to sams and have fun!
tony

Oops sorry Tony, I didn't mean to direct my comment towards you. I was lost in the other comments so I do apologize for any confusion :roll: My bad :D

T

hey everyone,
tony

:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

Hey, you can't be light in the envolope.. Sounds like a job for other Tony ...Soprano !!!!

TM

hey everyone,
tony

I am tired of people feeling pressured to retract their statements, or tone them down on forums, to be politically correct.

Sams did not pay you what they promised. That's a crime. You guys are one of the top Tiki bands in existence. They should have paid, end of story. And if anyone welches on something like this, it needs to be publically stated.

Earlier, I made some statements regarding Sam's, and was jumped all over for daring to have an opinion. It started with a mild complaint that they were playing hip-hop over the PA system IN A TIKI BAR....and you would not believe the amount of negative posts defending them! And while I was there, I witnessed an extrememly rude bartender who looked more like a gang thug then a service employee. No, people need to be called on bad behavior. I expect no less from myself.

for those of you that expressed interest in the little sam's episode regarding payment for the martini kings i want to let everyone know that the girl who booked us and has since been fired.
after explaining everything to the new manager and showing the history of emails from the ole gal there, the new manager made good on our verbal contract and paid us. hense,the martini kings walk away with a sweet(mai tai) flavor in our mouth when thinking about sams.thank you sam's!
tony

T

I'm glad to hear that it was a bad manager and not Sam's itself. Anyone up for a Sam's night?

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

On 2007-11-27 14:15, Tikitatt wrote:
I'm glad to hear that it was a bad manager and not Sam's itself. Anyone up for a Sam's night?

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

I would love a get together at Sam's soon! :)

T

Sounds great! What day sounds good?

After about 25 years, I finally made it back to Sam's over the turkey day break. I have to say that it looks really damn nice. We of course bought our mugs($20 each with alcohol included), but didn't eat. The drinks weren't much to jump up and down about, but the mugs and ambiance made it worth the visit. The bartenders were also very accomodating. Watch out for club nights on the weekends though- The idea of hip hop bumping in there is ridiculous(or Ludacris heh heh).

Humm Damm shame that wasa kool place .

T

So far Sam's has been pretty good to me. The food, drinks and service has been great. No hip-hop crap either.

I say we make a Sun. afternoon (4 or 5 ish, maybe 6 ish) thing the new TC day/night event.
as Tues night was bad for me.
what do ya'll think?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

That would be nice makes my drive easier for sure :)

I'm out.

Sunday is for Reggae!

Always has....always will...

T

I would rather listen to Bob Marley then any hip-hop crap!

I'm going tomorrow night for dinner with a couple friends. Anyone going to be around?

I'll try to make it. We'll have to see if the wife is able to get out of work to go. What time are you going?

Mahalo,
Tikitatt
Myspace.com/tikitatt

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2007-11-28 15:15 ]

GT

On 2007-11-27 23:16, bigtikidude wrote:
I say we make a Sun. afternoon (4 or 5 ish, maybe 6 ish) thing the new TC day/night event.
as Tues night was bad for me.
what do ya'll think?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm up for a Sam's night, Reggae over Rap anytime!

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

TL

Multiple musings:

Three cheers and a Mai Tai for you Tony!

You really are a king among princes for your good natured support of our beloved genre above your own self interest.
I do agree with Lucas that your deserve to be paid, and that letting us denizens of Tikidom know the story is absolutely appropriate.
That you persisted in good faith is wonderful, rare, and kind of amazing, and I am delighted that Sam's eventually made good on their promise.
I like the place and want to support it, but my conscience was irritated by your experience.
Better now, thanks to all you have done and how you went about it!

And for you Lucas,

Again, please accept my repeated apologies for the claw-sharpening exercise I executed at your expense some months ago in this thread.
My bad, all the way.

So, onto new business:
It sounds like Jeff's suggestion for a Sam's Sunday is bumping up against traditional devotions to Jah.
Any other suggestions?

I would think that on sun at 5 or 6 pm, most people would be done and home from church by then.

But what do I know,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-11-27 14:08, martini kings wrote:
for those of you that expressed interest in the little sam's episode regarding payment for the martini kings i want to let everyone know that the girl who booked us and has since been fired.
after explaining everything to the new manager and showing the history of emails from the ole gal there, the new manager made good on our verbal contract and paid us. hense,the martini kings walk away with a sweet(mai tai) flavor in our mouth when thinking about sams.thank you sam's!
tony

Hey Tony and all... For what it's worth...The whole money situation came about because of a financial crisis that happened to the owner (who also owns a popular sushi joint down the hwy.) The former manager (the girl who booked you) was not given the money to pay you from the owner. The money problems at Sam's forced the owner to take on a new money-contributing partner and the deal was that the new partner take over as manager and they released the former manager with a severance package AND a letter of recommendation. That is hardly terms that should be construed as being "fired". I'm glad you guys got paid! You are worth every dollar AND MORE!!!! Looking forward to seeing the Martini Kings again soon! I still say get to Sam's while you can! And $20 for a mug WITH a drink in it is reason enough to stop by!

T

Soccertiki,

Does this mean that Tiki Tuesday may come back with the new management?

TL

On 2007-11-30 15:03, SoccerTiki wrote:

...The former manager (the girl who booked you) was not given the money to pay you from the owner.

Thank you for the enlightenment, SoccerTiki!

Demi brought real professionalism to her job, and the weird vibe that followed some of those obviously awkward telephone calls we witnessed just didn't match the person.

It all makes a lot more sense now.

T

I just received an email from Sam's regarding their hours. Here is the email I received today. If this is the case then Tiki Tuesday is on....

They're a little all over the place.
Dining Room Hours
Mon-Thurs: 5-10
Fri-Sat: 4-10
Sun: 4-9

Tiki Lounge Hours(Bar)
Mon-Thurs: 4-11
Fri-Sat: 3-2
Sun: 3-10

Hope that is less confusing!

~Sam's

So Tues. are on? same 1/2 price deals? anyone know for sure?, that was a sweet deal...

So far they have not answered their phones. So I can only assume that they are not open. That's why I emailed them. I would love for Tiki Tuesday to happen again.

T

I just called Sam's Seafood and they are open today. No live music but at least they are open...

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2007-12-11 16:29 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies