Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Tuesday @ SAM'S Cancelled :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies

You had me at colonoscopy.....eeeeyow!

Holy baby snake in the back door Batman!

Wondering? is this thread named Tiki Tues. at Sam's Aug.14? Yes it is under Ca. events? yes but not under "Let me go on whining & complaining and over expressing my opinion in the wrong thread" I don't feel this is the place for your complaint. Perhaps I offend you but this offends me that I am trying to make contact with interested members & this incorrect context just gets in the way. Maybe start a new thread in a more appropriate forum. So again I will ask as I am actually using this forum for what it is intended. Thank You

OK AGAIN...So who's on the roll call for Tues the 14th?? I heard some are going to Bahooka? I think it would be fun if we could cash in on this Tiki Tuesday's thing at Sam's & do Bahooka on another night. I am told we have quite a few OUT of TOWN people coming in for TO so it would be great to all be at SAM'S.....The more the merrier input???

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2007-08-13 20:09 ]

I just wanna F ing Know who is playing there????

why wont anybody say who it is.

Jeff(btd)

D

What: $5 Mai Tai's All Night Long, Food Specials, &
Live Music: The Smokin Menehunes will start playing at 7:00pm

I heard that the Smokin Menahune's are not playing every week????????

what is the real low down,

hello woooohoooo
or soccer tiki.

Jeff(btd)

The Smokin Menehunes will not be playing Tuesday :(

I received this from Palika:

Aloha Kakou:

The Smokin' Menehunes have been designated the house band for Sam's
Seafood
in Sunset Beach, and will be performing for special events held at the
restaurant. Our next performance there is scheduled for Thursday
evening,
August 16th.

The 'Tiki Tuesdays' venue will continue with various entertainment.

Just a short note to keep you all informed.

Mahalo and a hui hou!
Palika

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-08-13 21:37 ]

TL

Easy now Hiphip; that was one of the band members excited at the venue, wanting it to be even better, and me disagreeing to disagree, but demanding it my way anyway.
In the end it seems to me we agree to agree on what we already agreed on before we started, but we most certainly needed our process to figure that out.
Lucas had some good points relevant to Tiki Tuesdays' success, and therefore this and all future related postings on topic, and I was just being an ass.

Does that seem about right to you Lucas?

Sorry to muck up your thread; we like Sam's and want it to be great, this Tuesday and every other day for that matter.

You may have the thread back now.

TM

That's correct. it was just me making suggestions for improvement, but perhaps at the wrong time, in the wrong place. (I should give this disclaimer-10 years ago, my career was restaraunt management. I was a GM and then area/regional manager for several stores in a large and succesful chain)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-08-14 09:06 ]

From Palika of The Smokin Menehunes:

Aloha Tikicentralites,

This is Palika, ukulele player for the Smokin Menehunes. There has been much discussion on this thread about what constitutes a classic tiki/Polynesian restaurant and bar.

Believe me, I love the classic tiki establishments having played many of them along Waikiki when I was regularly gigging in my youth on Oahu. I’m from Kaneohe, home of Honey’s, while not necessarily “tiki” it was the birth place of Waikiki’s premier performer Don Ho.

We must remember that not long ago Sam’s was closed and all bemoaned another nail in the coffin of tiki establishments. Demi, the general manager of Sam’s has worked tirelessly to open a place that has the feel of the classic tiki bar as well as the appeal to market to customers across the spectrum. She has transformed many fine tiki establishments in Southern California such as the Ma’kai in Santa Monica.

If we remember correctly, the old Sam’s left something to be desired in the way of tropical drinks and food to say the least. Demi and her crew have done an outstanding job bringing ono grind to the new Sam’s, and the Tuesday mai tais are discounted only

in price, not taste !!

Concerning hip hop, here are my thoughts on the matter: Hawaiian music has always been an amalgam of musical trends drifting over from the mainland and Europe since the arrival of Captain Cook to the Islands. Now I’m not saying the next Hawaiian musical trend is Snoop Doggie Dog meets Don Ho, but that wouldn’t exactly be out of character for Hawaiian music. After all, Hawaii is known as the melting pot of the Pacific.

Anyways, let’s enjoy the fact that we have an updated classic tiki restaurant and bar nearby, and let Demi continue to conduct the business end of Sam’s as we enjoy a Mai Tai and some great food (one of my personal favorites is the Spam macaroni and cheese!).

Mahalo and a hui hou (until we meet again),

Palika

Ps: The Smokin' Menehunes will be there Thursday, August 16th. I will be there tonight

strumin' my ukulele.

All comments & complaints about Sam's should be posted under Sam's Seafood Experience:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25038&forum=1&48&PHPSESSID=7ad1cd4d0e17c09b623178401a4e1c5d

This thread is about Tiki Tuesdays @ Sam's :)

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2007-08-14 09:04 ]

10-4 WooHoo.

But I must admit the idea of Snoop Doggie Ho doesn't seem so far fetched...

OK. Done now.

Next Tuesday 07/21/07: Mai Tai's for Moai's in Mu'u mu'u's.

for a Leo,your jokes are really bad,TikiLion! :lol:
Seriously folks.....
So, is everyone there already?
I'm less than 5 miles away but got stuck watchin the stepkid!
If the wifey gets home early enough I'll shoot on down!
YAY SAMS!

On 2007-08-14 18:57, little lost tiki wrote:
Seriously folks.....
YAY SAMS!

SoccerTiki is there. I'm at home resting up for Oasis :)

TL

On 2007-08-14 18:57, little lost tiki wrote:
Seriously folks.....
YAY SAMS!

Ouch!

I was at Sam's from 7 til 9pm... Pat (Palika of the Smokin Menehunes) played his ukelele and took requests in the bar. Before he played and during his breaks there was some very nice Hawaiian music playing over the system. It made the bar feel like a tiki bar! Very nice ambiance! And Pat's sets of Hawaiian tunes made me wish WooHoo was there enjoying it with me. The $5 Mai-Tai was much better than before...There were only a few people coming in and out of the bar, some to eat and others just for a cocktail. I heard at least a couple people say, "This place is nice! I'll have to come back with..."

See ya all next tues!

Wahappen?

I arrived at Sam's a little after 7 PM, planted myself at the far end of the bar, thoroughly relished a couple of Mai Tai's and some very tasty calamari, chatted with Kim (behind the bar), and her manager (was that Demi?), who was moving faster than Kane at a tiki convention. Enjoyed the surfing cinema and the live tunes (was that you Paliki?), and thoroughly enjoyed the room.

No one seemed to know about other Tiki Centralites, and I didn't recognize anyone from Oasis!

I left 8:30-ish, still owing more than half a dozen Mai Tai's for my absence two weeks ago.

Get back to me, gang: Lion's are standing by to take your responses!

On 2007-08-21 22:46, Tiki Lion wrote:
Wahappen?

We're all still recooperating from Oasis.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.