Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

soursop cocktail

Pages: 1 6 replies

anyone have a recipe that includes theuse of soursop?....I scored some juice and would love to try it.

I ordered come cocktail books from Amazon (grog log and a couple of others I've seen mentioned on this site that escapes me right now) but they still haven't arrived yet.

I love soursop almost as much as sapote! Here's a recipe that accompanied a set of Hazel Atlas martini shorts (I obsessively collected HA dot glassware in the capri blue color for years). The recipe was handwritten, so I can't vouch for it's actual provenance (the drink matches the color of the glassware), but I can vouch for it's tastiness. Don't leave the bitters out: they make the drink, but you can add a teaspoon or two of simple syrup if you find the drink too tart. Enjoy!

FYI, if you're not concerened about 'bruising' the gin, you can use a shaker (which should tell you I'm no master mixologist.)

Capri Dot
Serves 2

3/4 cup soursop (guanabana) juice
6 tablespoons gin
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons blue curaçao liqueur
4 dashes of angostura bitters
(2 purple orchids)

Mix ingredients in cocktail pitcher with ice. Stir well (about 30 seconds to chill). Strain into martini glasses, garnish each with orchid and serve.

H

thanks for your kind reply. I have that very same recipe. I used it as a base and tweaked it a bit and I must say, it could be the vodka talking...but it's pretty damn good.

My cousin is visiting from Trinidad and here is the recipe I plan to serve:

ps: i had to drink the revisions so I'm feelin' no pain right about now...had a couple of oops moments :)

16 oz soursop juice
6 oz pear vodka (absolut)
2oz Malibu coconut rum
.5 oz fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons curaçao liqueur
4 dashes of angostura bitters
.5 oz coconut cream
.5 oz almond syrup
.5 oz pear syrup

the almond and coconut work really well with soursop and keep the drink true to flavor despite the pear absolut and syrup....skip the almond and you're missing out.

adjust the pear flavor down a bit and increase the cocomut to taste more of the soursop but mind the sweetness extra syrup/coconut cream will add.

I've no one here to bounce this drink off of right now so hopefully someone else will try it and give me some feedback...if not, no worries, the girls will be here by the time the sun sets and I'll let you all know how it went down.

thanks again

So . . . how did it go down? I have both Guanabana nectar and pulp and am looking for a rum-based drink recipe to use one or the other or both. I'm not a big fan of flavored alcohol (rum or vodka) and prefer to use the straight versions of the liquor and get the exotic flavors from the other ingredients.

I wonder if I can make Soursop Syrup using the frozen pulp and simple syrup much like the Bum's recipe for Passion Fruit Syrup - which is excellent, by the way.

H

I would expect you can. In my experience it just wasn't as potent as the manufactured syrups. I've made several before discovering Monin and soursop in particular has a very delicate flavor that may be lost in the sugar syrup process...(cooking, etc.)

I could certainly use the pulp in a cocktail though. Just add rum in the quantities you prefer. I like 1.5 to 2:1 ratio of juice to booze.

Adding something coconut (water/juice/cream) will also compliment soursop's flavor.

I didn't have any luck making lychee syrup. By comparison, mine was weak and tasted more of sugar than lychee. The Monin syrup made my fresh syrup pale by comparison.

Heh, here are Saturday's Soursop results (at the monthly refrigerator cleanup swizzle party). We took some basic recipes and tweaked the ingredients to work with the soursop. I personally think that gin is a better pairing with the soursop, but that's just me. Everyone else seemed quite happy.

A simple daiquiri with the pulp:

1 oz rum of choice
4 oz soursop pulp (still frozen is fine)
1/2 oz lime juice
1 oz simple syrup (or leftover honey mix)
1/2 cup crushed ice

Blend ingredients.

A cooler kinda thing using the nectar:

4 oz soursop nectar
1 oz orange juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/4 oz orgeat
1 12 oz rum (we used Appleton)

Shake with ice cubes. (leftover strawberry puree as also used instead of the oj. Yum!)

I guess this is a colada:
1 oz white rum
1 oz dark rum
1 oz cream of coconut
1 oz amaretto
6 oz soursop pulp
1 cup crushed ice

Blend ingredients.

There was a request of a blue drink:
2oz white rum
1oz blue curaçao
4 oz soursop nectar
1 1/2 oz cream of coconut
about 1/4 cup fresh pineapple
1 cup crushed ice

Blend ingredients.

Other soursop uses: In the Colombian restaurants around here, they serve soursop with condensed milk and honey...the goya packet has a recipe for a frozen version which works nicely with dark rum (kinda like a boozy milkshake). I tend to make it less sweet than they call for. I may have a packet in the freezer, so if I do I'll post the recipe later.

A mix of coconut water, soursop pulp, sugar, and amber rum makes a fabulous granita (served with a dash of pimento dram or fresh grated nutmeg), so I bet this would also make a tasty cocktail.

Hmmm, never made a soursop syrup, but it's worth a try. It doesn't have as much acid as passionfruit, so the flavor of soursop can be easily overwhelmed by too much sugar. Try these proportions: 1 packet thawed pulp (assuming Goya here) simmered with 1/3 cup sugar until sugar is dissolved (stir frequently). Use white sugar as brown will overpower the flavor. The sugar/pulp proportions are based on what I mix up to make a lightly sweetened drink for da kiddies (thawed pulp plus simple syrup).

Cheers!

Thanks Martiki-bird! That's exactly what I was looking for.

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2007-08-19 09:39 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies