Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

vintage travel brochures

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

I pick these up when I find them. Filled with great info. Hotels and resorts, lounges and dinning, tourist sites.Great graphics too. So many of these brochures were meant to be thrown out that they are getting harder to find and are a great
research tool. Enjoy

I love ephemera, and your travel brochures are really great!!! Whenever I travel, I always save travel brochures, they are a good benchmark of architecture, fashion, and lifestyle of the time. Would love to see more, if you have them. :)

Very cool. Thanks for posting these.

I'm always on the lookout for vintage travel ephemera and found a 1966 hotel tourist guide from the islands last year called, Here's Hawaii. It's over 100 pages long and contains a whole bunch of great ads and imagery:

The rest of it's here in my Vintage Hawaiiana gallery.

here's a couple from Florida. One mentions Tiki Gardens as a point of interest.

In the same travel theme, a Trader Vic's menu from United.

On 2007-08-20 05:17, MrBaliHai wrote:
...The rest of it's here in my Vintage Hawaiiana gallery.

great website !
i wanted to take a short look
and spent some hours ...

On 2007-08-20 13:19, uncle trav wrote:
In the same travel theme, a Trader Vic's menu from United.

Damn! It's hard to believe air travel used to be that cool.

Allot has changed, the last time I flew this summer I got a bag or pretzels and water with no ice. Here's the stir stick from the drink shown on the menu. A little keepsake from your flight to Hawaii

On 2007-08-20 17:32, MrBaliHai wrote:
Damn! It's hard to believe air travel used to be that cool.

Amen! And HOW cool:

(from the upcoming TIKI MODERN, please credit)

looks like a swing'n flight to the islands! Thanks for posting the pic Bigbro
P.S. Pre-ordered Tiki Modern tonight...can't wait!

Hey, Isn't that Ricardo Monteblan at the bar trying to hookup with the bartender?

On 2007-08-20 23:08, bigbrotiki wrote:

Amen! And HOW cool:

United also had a Lower-deck Hawaiian Lounge on Stratocruiser flights from the mainland. Wish I could find some interior shots of that.

In an attempt not to comment on the "Deterioration of Tiki", I thought I would post these pages of brochures and related items from a 1967 Honeymoon scrapbook I recently picked up. Who knows...the stuff on the other thread may have come in handy for this or any couple?

Enjoy!

Mahalo. :)

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-08-22 18:19 ]

Killer scrap book PTD. tons of great stuff in that one book. Thanks for posting.

Man, the Coco Palms in 1967.....everybody, go get and read Jeff Berry's "Sippin Safari".

Aloha,

On 2007-08-22 17:59, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:48 ]

On 2007-08-20 05:17, MrBaliHai wrote:
Very cool. Thanks for posting these.

I'm always on the lookout for vintage travel ephemera and found a 1966 hotel tourist guide from the islands last year called, Here's Hawaii. It's over 100 pages long and contains a whole bunch of great ads and imagery:

The rest of it's here in my Vintage Hawaiiana gallery.

Here is some pictures of the same book, but from the 50's. This is printed as volume 8, however I can't find a date anywhere in it...

Did you notice the Beachcomber ad was a full page and the Trader Vics was about 1/3rd?
110 pages and all are pretty cool, especially the ads! Thanks for looking! :)

PTD

Great stuff! Please note the relative sparse use of TIKIS in the ads and articles, which basically supports my theory that Tiki style was a MAINLAND phenomenon. If Island businesses used Tikis at all, they mostly were AUTHENTIC reproductions. The wild and wacky mainland designs would have been viewed as tacky and tasteless. The distance to the source allowed the mainlanders to interprete the culture more freely, clearly making it POP CULTURE.

Here's some shots of the contents of one of the brochures. Great graphics with lots of color. Enjoy

A coulpe of more. the first is for Tiki Tours from Naples Florida. Tour in a double canoe. The second from the 50's for Hawaii.

Some stuff I picked up last week...no tiki though!

1963 San Francisco Northern California-Reno Dining Out guidebook. Lists critiques of San Francisco and Oakland Trader Vic's, The Leilani in Fresno, Coral Reef in Sacramento, along with a whole slew of other fine dining establishments.

Hawaiian Airlines travel brochure.

United Mainliner flight information packet, 1952.

Pan American World Airlines "Flying Clipper-wise" packet.

"An Aloha in Flowers from Hawaii, 1964!

Later,

PTD

Fixed it, thanks Big Bro!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-05-01 05:51 ]

I was keeping my eyes peeled for "mo" Tiki, (as in "more") :) ....until I realize it was a little misspelling on your part and meant to say NO Tiki...basically supporting the theory I mentioned above.

These brochures would fall into the "Hawaiiana" genre. They also prove (albeit a few exceptions) that the use of the Tiki image coincided more with the beginning of the jet age in the late 50s, post prop propulsion.

Here is a series of airline travel menus that show:

1. The comparative luxury of old time air travel

2. The advent of Tiki being incorporated into the airline travel advertising.

First we have an older Pan Am Menu for Hawaii. No Tiki in the graphics but my goodness check out the dinner menu. Its not like that anymore (some more nuts with your water sir?).

Next is a brochure for the downstairs Hawaiian Lounge on the StratoCruiser aircraft. We can see a little bit of Tiki on the brochure cover. Now that is one swinging lounge - free drinks and smoking promoted!

The last one is a menu from United Airlines Royal Hawaiian service. Now we have come full Tiki! The food is still pretty good but the Mai Tais are now $2.00 - the beginning of the end of luxury air travel!

So in summary, we see an inverse trend of more Tiki and less luxury in the airline travel industry.

here's some of mine..

Nice. This brochure...

....does not say...

.... WHY they are always smiling :) Hmmm, Tourist Long Pig gooood!

..irish eyes are always smiling too........go figure.

On 2008-05-12 02:56, bigbrotiki wrote:

.... WHY they are always smiling :) Hmmm, Tourist Long Pig gooood!

These tourist Long Pigs even brought drinks to serve with dinner in Fiji!

Ha ha ha, this really looks like their happily heading to their demise in the dense bush up ahead, the proverbial "like pigs to the slaughter".

While searching craigslist on Friday, I came across an ad for 60's Hawaii brochures and other travel material for free...

Here we go...

Magic Moments in Hawaii with All-Travel, Inc, featuring Golden and Silver Polynesian Tours, 1964.

Pan American Hawaii by Jet Clipper, 1959.

What to Wear and Buy in Hawaii, Hawaii Visitors Bureau.

Your Hertz Guide to Maui, The Valley Isle.

What To Pack For Paradise, Matson Lines Clothing and Climate Book.

Kona Charter Skippers Association Game Fishing, 1962.

Hawaiian Cruises Limited Pearl Harbor Motor Yacht Adventure.

Hertz System Rent A Car Kauai, 1961.

How To Have The Most Fun In Hawaii, Inter Island-Trade Wind Tours, 1963.

Matson Lines Pacific Resorts ss Lurline ss Matosonia Accommodations.

Duarte's U-Drive and Tours, LTD.

Room Service Menu, Sheraton Maui.

Pearl Harbor tour brouchure.

Flight fares Pan American Airlines and Inter-Islands Resorts Hotel Fares, 1962.

In Hawaii Sheraton Hotels, 1962.

Hawaii Calls Pan American Tours, 1962.

Wailua Municipal Golf Course.

Aston Waikiki Hotels and Resorts.

U-Drive Cars and Tours in Hawaii, All Islands, Airways Rent-A-Car.

Sports in Hawaii, Hawaii Vistors Bureau.

Maui Palms Resort Hotel, Maui.

Kauai Gray Line Tour.

Aoha Airlines All Island map and brochure.

Coco Palms letterhead and envelope.

Kapoho Kalapana Pahoa Triangle Area Brochure, 1963.

Pan American Jet Clipper to Hawaii, 1961.

Sheraton Maui Hotel, 1962.

Modern Resorts of Hawaii, 1962.

Kilauea Volcano House Menu, Hawaii National Park, 1963.

Hilo Hotel/Kilauea Volcano House napkin.

Four copies the SS Matsonia "The Polynesian" published daily at sea by the Matson Lines, August 1963.

Hope you like these?

PTD

l

Man o' man is that some good stuff. Thanks for posting those PTD. I was checking out your pics and the one for Aloha Airlines got my attention. The girl on the front of the brochure is the same girl on the "101 String's, Hawaiian Paradise" record album. They just pasted her on a different background. You know you are in too deep when you start cross referencing things like that. Here's a pic.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-06-22 19:23 ]

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-06-24 14:36 ]

On 2008-06-22 19:22, uncle trav wrote:
Man o' man is that some good stuff. Thanks for posting those STD.

Here are the pictures next to each other!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and it's PTD for short)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-06-23 05:26 ]

Here is another "Here's Hawaii" booklet...

Souvenir Edition.

More tiki in this one the my other one along with more ads for "tiki" establishments and even an ad for "Leeteg of Tahiti" at the Davis Gallery. The ad has prices of originals listed at $5,000.00 with copies on black velvet for $35.00.

PTD

There is a small booklet in the same vein than the "Here's Hawaii" books that was called "The Snooper", it had great ad art and "society info" in it, here is an example from 1965.

It was printed as a pocket guide, in a very slim format, with text in tiny print. It lists all the right places:

Some of the ads are very cool:

...and in its "social register" it mentions Martin Denny getting to perform for the Hawaii Calls TV show:

Here's The Aloha Guide from 1956, a handy reference guide to the islands.

Here is some more from this...

Here's Hawaii, 1964....

Tiki used in the upper left-hand corner of the ad.

Like the look of this place!

Story about "Ancient Gods".

Hawaiian resort lodging.

Fashion!

Another ad featuring a tiki.

Eat, drink and be merry!

More fashion.

"Aloha Shirts O.K.".

Who's thirsty?

Bishop Museum.

Leeteg ad.

Sea Life Park.

Hawaiian Village ad.

PTD

Here is a beautiful brochure I picked up awhile back on ebay.A lot of color illustrations,
maps and pictures.Full of alot useful information from every island, great tourist info
for the hawaiian tourists.Nice color cover and back cover.Brochure dated 1961.
Enjoy the pics.
Trader Bill

Although not a travel brochure, I was intrigued enough by the artwork to pick these 10 letterhead and 3 Airmail envelopes up from Ebay for $5.00...

I liked the Tikis on the right hand side.

From "The Reef Hotels" "Ocean Tower and Reef Tower" "The Edgewater" "The Islander" "The Waikiki Surf" "The Coral Seas" "WaikikiHonoluluHawaii""Hawaii...closer than you think...lovlier than you dreamed".

More crap for the pile!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-09-16 16:59 ]

Very very cool score PTD .I am wondering if you can part with just one of
those letter heads sheets.
Cheers,
Trader Bill

On 2008-09-16 18:01, 1961surf wrote:
Very very cool score PTD .I am wondering if you can part with just one of
those letter heads sheets.
Cheers,
Trader Bill

Why not??? I only need one!

PTD

Picked up this scrapbook on Ebay for $10.50. It came from Congressman Doyle and it was from his and his wife's trip to Hawaii in October of 1961.

Aloha!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-09-22 18:04 ]

Here's scans of my small collection....

I picked this one up recently. 8 days (airfare included) for $267 in 1955.

Trans Ocean Airlines? Must have been short-lived. PTD, thanks for the amazing image uploading job, that is exhaustive material. That it was being sold reminds one how ephemeral lives lived are.
And Pikey's finds show how boring graphic design got in the 70s, with no themed typefaces, and everything laid out straight.

found these at an antique store in town ...

Found a few today...

"Create Your Own Hawaiian Petroglyph Designs at the Maui Mall, Kahului, Maui".

"See....Menehune Garden and the Hawaiians".

"Kaimana Beach Hotel at Diamond Head on Waikiki Beach".

"Tour the 8 Islands of Hawaii in One Day with Hats"."You see all 8 islands by plane, boat and car for $85.00".

Waikiki Grand Hotel".

"Kauai Resort Hotel".

"Robinson's Hawaiian Tours, 1964".

"Missionary Home of The Rev. Dwight Baldwin".

"Hilo Lagoon Hotel".

"Lahaina Walking Tour".

"Hawaii National Park".

"Iolani Palace".

PTD

Not to discourage anybody here from posting images, I enjoy them. But just to clarify the genre delineation, 90 % of the material on this thread is not Tiki, but pretty generic tourist stuff.

On 2009-01-04 21:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Not to discourage anybody here from posting images, I enjoy them. But just to clarify the genre delineation, 90 % of the material on this thread is not Tiki, but pretty generic tourist stuff.

I agree with Bigbro, perhaps this thread should be moved over to "Beyond Tiki"?

PTD

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Dec 24, 2009 10:37 AM

Not Tiki, but vintage space age with Toltec idols.

T

I thought I had seen a thread about tikis in vintage ads but the closest I can find is this one so, here's a travel ad with a tiki (sort of) from the August 1958 Sunset Magazine.

I finally found a signature and it was done by Macouillard (It was hidden in the carving on the tiki) , not a brochure but I like it.

aloha, tikicoma

Pages: 1 2 51 replies