Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sept. San Diego Chop Chop - 8th in O'side, thanks for coming out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies

B

Buzzy should be "Q" as he has the time thing down and all...Birdman should be Kurk. He's the one with the ripped shirts, and all the green ladies chasing him down

:o

B

On 2007-09-15 13:51, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Next up, Babalu and Bowana...

...huh? Oh, ummmm..........today's sunset!

Well, thanks alot! I must be wearing a freakin red shirt then!

Sheesh.

On 2007-09-16 19:38, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

Sheesh.

Heeheehee. (A highly logical response though.)

Umm, can you point me in the direction of the nearest green lady? And no offence Cam, but Mr.Scott was known to wear kilts on occaision, sound like anyone we know? But seriously folks, I always fancied myself as the Spock from the alternate universe where you had to kill to advance in rank, and I think Billy would look right at home with a bottle of Romulan ale!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Sep 16, 2007 8:41 PM

"Well, thanks alot! I must be wearing a freakin red shirt then!"

Dude, you come up with the list then! It's difficult! Hey, you can be Gene Roddenberry. Happy now?

Still, Clysdalle as Bones, that's funny. Ya gotta admit.

And here's Babalu and his gang discussing things with Kate -

Here he is on the right, just hanging out - see what I mean? It's Babs. Believe it or not, I stopframed this episode to see what the little pendants are that the space hippies wear. They're little EGGS. See 'em? How cool is that?! I WANT ONE!

On 2007-09-16 19:41, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2007-09-16 19:38, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

Sheesh.

Heeheehee. (A highly logical response though.)

Hey, at least you didn't steer your ship and it's crew into sure death because you didn't think before you acted. Sheesh, man! I'd rather be a dead-redshirt than the captain of the "Space Valdez"!!

Im just happy that no one is calling me Sulu or a Ferengi. Damned Ferengis!

And now, here's something for everyone to enjoy.......

And how could one forget Worfs failed attempt at Jazz

B

Damn! I was really hoping that that photo wouldn't surface.

Eric with no name, we've been had Bro!...Ok, ok, so we're "space hippies"...so what! Yeah, we sit around, chant, and wear egg pendants. We are fine with that!

Only thing is, Cammo you have it all wrong, Eric is the hippie on the right, I'm the one on the left (note hair line). My ears are not normally that big...I had my ears boxed (slapped down) right before that episode by one of Kirks green groupies for trying to offer her one of my egg pendants for...well, you know.

Billy - cool pic! Cammo - your a yoke!

C

Hey, yer RIGHT! That guy even looks like your Tikis! Same ears!

By the way, the Space Hippies keep making a round shape with their hands like a big egg, and saying things like "We are ONE."

Ah, and here I thought of myself more of a Nurse Chapel kind of gal. But, I can see Chekov, I have an accent at times, am a first generation immigrant, I've got a little Russian in me, and do panic at chops at times!

BTW -- future site of a Chop....

and outdoor Tiki Bar....

and room for the power tool crew....

C

That's weird, I was gonna say Nurse Chapel first but changed my mind at the last second!

So if I show up regularly, do I get to graduate from the "disposable weekly guest star" list?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 2:22 PM

That's exactly how it works on Star Trek!

On 2007-09-18 11:33, TikiJosh wrote:
So if I show up regularly, do I get to graduate from the "disposable weekly guest star" list?

Yep. But for now, get that red shirt back on, and get down to the planet's surface with the away team. Everything will be fine. I'm sure you'll be at the next Chop. :wink:

On 2007-09-17 21:02, CheekyGirl wrote:
Ah, and here I thought of myself more of a Nurse Chapel kind of gal. But, I can see Chekov, I have an accent at times, am a first generation immigrant, I've got a little Russian in me, and do panic at chops at times!

BTW -- future site of a Chop....

and outdoor Tiki Bar....

and room for the power tool crew....

Is this your new place, Nelva? Are you still in SFV?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 4:30 PM

Nah, it's the house next door to Cheeky. That way we don't get wood chips all over HER place!

I would get to be a red shirter who gets blown across the ship when it's hit by a photon torpedo.
So Melissa and I come into town late Friday night. Is there anybody planning doing the PIFA event? If there is, I would like the info please.

TFB

PIFA update:
The following people responded by the event planners deadline:
Billy, Brian, Cammo, Kate, Mieko, Zaya, Clysdalle, Bowana, Babalu, and myself
I have all of your parking passes and a volunteer form for you to fill out to bring with you to the event. Everyone will have to make arrangements to pick up the passes from me in the next couple days. I live about two miles from the event, so I can leave the passes at my house to be picked up on your way to the event.

A few general rules:

1. No alcohol- the entire event is booze free, and they will be searching your stuff when you come in.
  2. Absolutely no power tools of any kind, at any time during the event.
  3. The PIFA directors requested that we do and exhibit traditional based work ONLY.
  4. You'll need to sign a volunteer form as well as waiver when you get there, before you carve.
  5. No vending from our area. (but an alternative vending booth will available in the vending area.)

Go to the PIFA San Diego website for all the info on shuttles, directions, times, etc.

I think everyone on the list has my phone number, so call me if you have any questions. Or Pm me...

Buzzy Out!

I just have one more question. What's the best time to show up?

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2007
9:30 a.m. OPENING CEREMONY Introduction of PIFA President Rudy Tai
Traditional conch shell call
Islander Procession
Opening Prayer by Bobby Lerma
Presentation of colors by PANPAC
National Anthem by Palana'i Makerita Engle
Introduction of emcees John Monte & Maria Arcega-Dunn
10:00 a.m. Na Pua lLima O Kehaulani (Hawaii)
10:30 a.m. Uso Krew Trio and Friends
10:40 a.m. Tongan Youth of the San Diego Methodist Church
11:10 a.m. Miss PIFA and Court
11:20 a.m. Kutturan Chamoru of Long Beach (Guam)
12:00 p.m. Scholarships, Sponsors & Miss PIFA
12:30 p.m. LeiIsa (Tahiti)
1:10 p.m. Gary Suka (solo artist - Micronesia)
1:20 p.m. Motu Nehenehe (Polynesian review)
2:00 p.m. Solo Artist TBA
2:10 p.m. Kaleo Onalani (Hawaii)
2:50 p.m. Ben Benavente & da Chelu boyz
3:00 p.m. Samoan Community Council Dancers of San Diego
3:40 p.m. Closing Message

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2007
8:00 a.m. PRAISE & WORSHIP Island Style
Opening Prayer: Benson Mauga (SAHC)
8:05 a.m. Samoan Athletes Heart of Champions
8:15 a.m. Imahen Taotao Tano of San Diego
8:25 a.m. Ka Ohana HoOnani - Saddleback Hula Ministry
8:55 a.m. Message Mel Zamora "Rock" Prison Ministry
9:25 a.m. Invitation/closing KaOhana HoOnani
9:30 a.m. WELCOME GREETING by PIFA Vice-President, Brian Cruz
Traditional conch shell call
Pledge of Allegiance Greg Perez III
National Anthem by Maka Ahokava Tafoki
Introduction of emcee John Monte
10:00 a.m. Imahhen Tao Tao Tano of San Diego (Guam)
10:30 a.m. Uso Krew Trio and friends
10:40 a.m. He Nani O Polynesia (New Zealand)
11:10 a.m. Miss PIFA and Court
11:20 a.m. Manaleo music of Hawaii
12:00 p.m. Introduction of PIFA Board and Sponsors
12:30 p.m. Samoan Community Council Dancers of San Diego
1:10 p.m. Gary Suka (solo artist - Micronesia)
1:20 p.m. Na Pua I Lima O Kehaulani (Tahiti)
1:50 p.m. Ben Benavente & da Chelu boyz
2:00 p.m. Heali’i"s Polynesian Review
2:40 p.m. Closing Remarks by PIFA President Rudy Tai

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 1:22 PM

We are SO spoiled having this and Oasis in our town.

I think we should all be there first thing to seriously give thanks to the Tiki Manna Spirit who watches over our fair city and lets us get away with all kinds of crazy crap!

On 2007-09-19 13:22, Cammo wrote:

Yes, you are. What I wouldn't give for a nice event in the desert that would keep me from having to schlep all the way to San Diego... :wink:

B

Coool! So what time are you all showing up to set?

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 2:11 PM

Um, Babs, by the way, uh, what strictly traditional Tiki is your carving going to be of?

Mine will be of the famous masks found in the Mortlock Atoll (next to Nobikini Atoll) in Micronesia. If anybody's keeping track of this stuff.

I'll be working on a little Maori piece that I started about a year ago. I'll bring a couple of carving books with me that I picked up in New Zealand in case anyone's looking for inspiration.

B

I'm rolling to the rules...Babs is bouncing traditional island style...it will be a kickin time!

On 2007-09-19 13:22, Cammo wrote:

I think we should all be there first thing to seriously give thanks to the Tiki Manna Spirit who watches over our fair city and lets us get away with all kinds of crazy crap!

Yes, missing the opening prayer would be a crime for sure. I'm going to try and be there by 8:30 to set up and I hope to god we don't get that storm they've been talking about. If so, so be it.......I'll carve in a tent, in the rain.
That sounds sort of nice, actually.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 5:07 PM

I ain't afraid of no rain.

RAIN or SHINE, lets GO!

So Buzzy...is it to late for me to get in on this?

Event map and parking information

PACIFIC ISLANDER FESTIVAL HOURS
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2007
9:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2007
8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.

Is there a fee for the festival?

There is no fee to enter the Pacific Islander Festival. We are a
volunteer based organization and a non-profit organization able to
share the Pacific Islander Festival to the City of San Diego at no cost.

Is there a fee for parking?
There will be a fee for parking in the west side parking lots just west
of Ski Beach near the Paradise Point Resort. The cost for parking in
these lots will be $10.00 per vehicle. No in and out privileges will be
allowed.

Is there a fee for the shuttle?

There is no fee for the shuttle. PIFA brings to the public three shuttle
locations. Please see parking shuttle info link for detailed directions.
· Sun Runner Parking Lot
· Quivira Basin Lot
· South Shores Lot

What is our theme for this year, 2006?
This year we are celebrating our 13th Annual Celebration, “Songs of
our Heritage.” We are proud to announce the graphic designer, who
created our logo for this year. Wiki Tiki was selected to work with
PIFA in developing the logo for our festival. We will be selling Tshirts
with our new logo at our Information Booth at the festival this
year. The Information Booth will be located just north of the festival
stage. We are very appreciative of Wiki Tiki’s services and donation
of their time in developing our logo for this year. We encourage all
of you to support Wiki Tiki at their craft booth at our festival.

What types of booths will you have at the festival?

At our festival this year, we are proud to welcome over 60 food, craft
and information booth vendors. We are proud to welcome the new
vendors who will be participating in our festival this year and we
appreciate the support of our PIFA Vendors who have participated in
our festival on an annual basis. We truly could not put on this
festival without all of you. We encourage you to support all our
vendors who will be participating at our festival this year.

On 2007-09-19 18:01, tiki fly boy wrote:
So Buzzy...is it to late for me to get in on this?

This will apply to any other late comers:
It's not too late to come, you just do not get a parking pass or a shirt. You'll have to drag your stuff on the shuttle because parking for this event is sketchy. Plan on doing some walking. You'll also have some paperwork to track down and fill out when you get there, before you can carve. I was only able to get the applications for people who signed up a few weeks back. Technically, we are now PIFA members and volunteers, so they needed some legal mumbo jumbo paperwork from us all.

Buzzy Out!

As you enter Ski Beach from Ingraham, you will go right to the parking area. This is the lot for permit parking only. The festival will be on the road to the left.

After parking, go down the road towards the festival, and the first row of tents running perpendicular to the road is where we will be. This picture was taken about twenty feet past the entry gate looking at our area. Look for the tent that has a gray tarp tent connected to it. We will be on the side of the tent closest to the road.

A little farther down the road: there are some tents set up along the road in front of our area. Just look for the gray tarp, it's the only one that is there(so far)That's it behind the big tree

It's the tents that divide the stage viewing area and the cultural area at the south end of the stage.
this was taken from the south corner of the stage looking at our area. If you make it to the stage, you went just a little too far down the road.

the stage getting ready to be danced on

More stuff, looking east

Buzzy Out!

After the shin-dig on Saturday, everyone in our crew is invited back to my place for a little shin-dig. My daughter will be at my sisters house for the WHOLE weekend, and I have an extra full-sized bed for anyone who needs it.

B

Rain, or shine? Rain = 40% tomorrow

M

Sounds like it might rain overnight and into the early morning, hopefully it'll clear by the time we all get there. Otherwise I'll be sitting in my car. :)

I was having some problems getting to the parking map, so I saved it once I finally got there. Copied here if anyone needs it:
http://www.tropicaldesignsbymieko.com/Parking.pdf

**We **can actually park in the ski beach parking lot right next to the event. That is what the parking passes are for. No shuttle or off site parking for us!

I just sent everyone a PM about picking up your passes at the Buzzy Estate.

Buzzy Out!

For mapquest purposes, Ski Beach is at the following intersection:

Ingraham St & Vacation Rd, San Diego, CA 92109, San Diego County, US

Go east to enter the PIFA lot on Vacation Rd and look for this sign

Here's how our booth looked this afternoon

Those guys have been sitting there for three straight days

Here's from the stage looking towards our area

and the stage after a little decor:

Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 21, 2007 7:07 PM

Rain Schmain. It ain't gonna rain. San Diego weather forecasters are notorious for their scare tactics. Today was one of the nicest, coolest, clearest days I've ever seen. Nice offshore breeze, beautiful day for a party.

Wear your pendants and the gods will smile on our little chisels; don't forget that carvers are holy men in island cultures, for good reason.

B

I'm carvin in the rain
Just carvin in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for fun
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I've a smile on my face
I walk down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just carvin',
carvin' in the rain

Dancin' in the rain
Dee-ah dee-ah dee-ah
Dee-ah dee-ah dee-ah
I'm happy again!
I'm carvin' and dancin' in the rain!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 6:41 PM

Beautiful day.

Lots of carving.

Life is wonderful.

Everybody was interested in our Tikis.

And -

HOLY CRIPES, WE SCORED some UNCUT KAVA!

You're looking at about three good sized salad bowls worth. We all had some, I liked it from the first gulp. The Kava is going into the Chop slush fund. We're doing a bowl at the next Chop. Thanks Mieko abd Bowana for providing the deluxe trade wares. Billy and I negotiated. This whole Kava hookup was incredible, story will follow with pictures,

laytah!

T

psssssssssssst hey buddy
...how much for an OZ of that Kava?

Hey. I think Tom might start coming to the Chop again. :lol:

I'm so glad that I was able to make it down to the PIFA event yesterday. It was the perfect carving atmosphere.

I didn't end up with many pictures, but I did make my very first visit to the House of Buzz.

Billy stopped by the Spammobile on its mission of deliciousness. Apparently it's considered trashy to eat it raw.

Mmmm...toasty.

Thanks Mieko for loaning me the palm tools. I can't wait till I can once again afford to buy chisels.

Thank you Brian for bringing the burritos. Totally hit the spot.

And thank you Buzzy for giving us all the opportunity to participate in this event. I had a great time.

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2007 9:06 PM

I had such a great time at the PIFA celebration this weekend, and it was fun getting to hang out with everyone! I think the best part was seeing all the Pacific Islander's so intrigued with watching everyone carve. They asked a lot of great questions about the process, and our amazing group was able to inspire people by showing them how it's done. Your love of carving really shined through. I was so proud of you guys! Here are my pictures from this weekend's events....

Bowana, this one's for you!

Zaya

Thanks to all the TC folks who dropped by the carving area this weekend to say hello and check us out and hope to see some of you at future chops. And thanks to all who participated and made this a great experience. And, an extra big thanks to the fine friends and families of ours for providing food, support, and whatnot throughout the event. And thanks to the PIFA for having us and giving us shirts ,parking passes, shade, permission to drive my car on the grass, and a rake. And thanks to the guys next to us with the TV tuned to the Charger game, the microwave, the coffee maker, the DVD player, the fax machine, the sewingmachine, and the whole apartment tent complex for giving me so many ideas about what I'm going to do there next year....

I took a couple photos at the last minute on Sunday, but it was hard to get a good picture because there were so many people everywhere. Here's some of the vending booths.

These pics were taken about an hour after the event was officially over

I didn't take a picture of the food booths because all you would have seen was hundreds of people

It was amazing how many people were there and how large this festival actually is.

I snapped this picture of the shuttle line because I thought it was crazy long. Little did I know, it would get twice as long.

The tiki table

Couple shots as we were starting to pack it in

Damn that was great time.

Buzzy Out!

C

More pictures, but I've already thrown out half of mine because Zaya's were better. I took some fisheye photos, but still need to top off the roll so they's ain't coming soon.

The first one is of everyone's favorite TCer, Billy the Crud. Here he is flying through a log, I think there's gonna be a Tiki on both sides of this one;

And explaining the fine points to a slightly disbelieving Babalu:

The booth, and Clyde answering questions by telling everyone that we carve Queen Palm with regular kitchen knives:

The pensive artiste:

Da boys, you'll have to ask HIM what he's doing with that stick:

They're trying to make a point to the local news team, but, but...

From one mad hatter to another, nice hats!

My favorite exhibit, the extremely little grass shack:

Miss Seashell by the Seashore:

I Miss these Misses Seashell by the Seashores:

Up on stage - these guys are a High School Uke group! Yay!

Now you have to realize the whole PIFA event is all based around electing a Miss PIFA of 2007. She gets a scholarship, lots of prizes, a free trip to Hawaii, a new car, a washing machine, you name it. And they base the judging on one single thing: how well she can HULA. That's it. I thought it was sort of funny as well, until I saw these women hula. And I'm here to testify that there ain't no better way of handing out scholarships than simply picking the best hula dancer.

This girl was the queen from last year, and man could she dance. Most of it was in the hands, and she painted pictures with those hands.

And this is the new queen, of 2007; she's got a whole different style,

Second to watching Buzzy sharpen chisels, the most popular booth by far was the SPAM VAN. The Van O' SPAM. If you were camping out in this, it would be the SPAM Van de Camp.

They were giving out free Spamburger samples and Spam Beach Balls!!!! I didn't get one!!!!

This guy was real interested, and now we all know what it feels like to have tourists looking at us like we're in a zoo. It was kind of like a Lost In Space episode. That's FlyBoy limbering up to the left, and my Danger Mask below to the right.

Hey, anyway, that was my favorite Chop! Thanks, Buzz Tiki Guy Lord Master of All He Chops! Long may you Scare Trees!

Anyway, are there more pictures?! There was so much stuff going on. I'll post the whole story of the Kava Score of the Century later. It was a well oiled team effort. Billy provided the oil, shall we say. Everybody else provided the effort. (Kidding!)...

B

Whoa, what a time that was! Buzz Master, huge thanks for lining everything up! I agree with Cam, that was one of my favorite Chops ever. It is so cool getting together with all of you each month...I have truly made some wonderful friends from these Chops. It was really special to see all the interest in our little "gatherings" (not so much a group as it is a gathering). People were coming out of the wood work (no pun) to ask questions and sit a spell with us. There is no better way to keep your art alive than to play with other artists. I was not able to snag that many pictures as I was just plain having too much fun, but here's what I have that is not a repeat of those already posted. Did anybody get a picture of Eric the Red's cool tiki cruiser?

These two guy's game has really stepped up several notches.

There were lots of pretty girls floating around, here are just two.

We were right next door to the Kava ceremonies.

Buzz scores a shirt.

These boys hung with me for a huge part of the day...I have no clue where they came from, or who they belonged to, but they are sold on carving. Here is a good look a the future of carving right here. Note the wood chip tongues :)

Z
Zaya posted on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 7:50 AM

I did get a picture if Eric's cool tiki cruiser! I thought I posted it, but when you mentioned it I realized I didn't! Here it is....

Zaya

Hey everyone.....just want to say thanks to all...and of course Buzzy for making it all happen. That was one of the best days of carving I've had in a while. The crowd was so great and welcoming, including my favorite Islander who came up and said "Look at you carve haole, go on with your bad self..." man, you just can't make that stuff up!!!

Thanks to the crew for parting the clouds and making it a kick ass time on Sat!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies