Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sept. San Diego Chop Chop - 8th in O'side, thanks for coming out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies

M

It looks like there's a few votes for the 22nd, so we'll try for that first. I'd like to host one soon, but my yard fits only about a dozen carvers. I met a TON of people at the Big Chop that want to come next month that I really think a bigger place would work better - Bill, are you up for hosting?

tropicaldesignsbymieko.com

[ Edited by: mieko 2007-09-12 12:27 ]

Of course!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2007 3:31 PM

OK, lets set you up with a big banquet of Phil's Ribs! Any vegetarians coming? (We'll eat them!)

And I still got that bottle of Queen of Hearts red wine left over from Otto. It's a '01 Merlot, so it might taste pretty good. We gotta have a toast.

Thanks Bill.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2007 3:50 PM

On 2007-08-21 15:31, Cammo wrote:
OK, lets set you up with a big banquet of Phil's Ribs! Any vegetarians coming? (We'll eat them!)

I don't know if Phil's will deliver to O'side, and I don't know about a 9am pickup. We'll have to see if someone wants to come late and bring the ribs, or if we want to save them for later (my house is decently close to Phil's)

We could save it for a Xmas/December/Holiday party if people might want to do that.

Yeah!!!! You guys know that I start freaking out if I go too long without going to Bill's house. It's my safe and happy place.

Thanks for hosting yet again Bill. I'll be in your backyard in my usual spot bright and early.

B

I can make it on the 22nd.

Where the heck is Phil's? I can get it (or help anyways) if it will survive a trip to O'Side in the back of a pick-up.

B

In like Flint!! Bowana - you want to ride up together again?

HT

H2O will be there with more knotty stuff. I have time to make a Full board so you all can see a true product of my work.

Brian

C

Phil's Ribs used to be off Washington but they were shut down by crazy neighbors. Then he opened a HUGE place near Sports Arena on Rosecrans. I think they're the best in town; they're the biggest chunkiest fall-apart pork ribs you've ever tasted. The ribs will make the trip, and keep in a warm oven for hours.

You buy them by the rack, we'll get at least two big trays of them. They're like potato chips, you can't stop munching on them.

Hey Babalu, did you hear the Blue Hawaiian's "In Like Flint" theme on the new album?
Totally Ono!

On 2007-08-21 23:17, Cammo wrote:
Phil's Ribs used to be off Washington but they were shut down by crazy neighbors. Then he opened a HUGE place near Sports Arena on Rosecrans. I think they're the best in town; they're the biggest chunkiest fall-apart pork ribs you've ever tasted. The ribs will make the trip, and keep in a warm oven for hours.

You buy them by the rack, we'll get at least two big trays of them. They're like potato chips, you can't stop munching on them.

We won't need to buy any stain, then. BBQ sauce has a nice hue!

I just picked up a can of "gun stock" stain today when brian took me to home depot. If you've got anything you want to stain, bring it and give this stuff a whirl!! It's nice, man.

I think I can make the 22nd! Where's Bill's place at!??
Traffic back from Oasis was killer! Took me 2 hours to get home (south OC) but only 30 minutes from Oceanside! I'm up for all chop chops in Oceanside!

And I'll bring my new sawhorse! Sweeeet!

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2007-08-22 13:00 ]

Whittling with you all Sunday was truely inspirational.

I've been drying a fat palmlog in my garage all season and now I'm itching to bust out the Flexcuts and join you all like a pale hermit emerging from a cave. It's been since the OkyOky that I chiseled for any extended period so if anyone notices me slumped over my sawhorse, at least call a veteranarian.

Are you guys serious about Phil's? It's right across the bay from me. I'll pick up a party platter menu this afternoon before NoNaMe and I head over to Rockler.

I've been struggling with my ironwoods so on Meiko's advice I'm going to pick up some Basswood and simply practice the angles of my cuts. Meiko's wood originals are soooooooo perfect. Really amazing stuff and a technical standard for me to strive toward. Mahalo Meiko.

On 2007-08-22 12:58, TikiJosh wrote:
I think I can make the 22nd! Where's Bill's place at!??
[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2007-08-22 13:00 ]

Pertinent info will be PMed to all who haven't been to my place before, about a week before the chop. :wink:

M
mieko posted on Wed, Aug 22, 2007 3:45 PM

Thanks Hank, for both the flattery and picking up the menu. I might need to go down there myself and get dinner, I mean pick up a menu in the next week or so. :) Gotta check the hours too, but it sounds like it might work out. :)

B

I still need to hack into that big ass log Wheeler gave to me....maybe I'll chain saw some weight off of it and bring it back a second time :)

i think i can make it, i should have my chisels by then. i just need to double check and makesure i got nothing goin on sept 22

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2007-08-22 17:01 ]

On 2007-08-22 15:59, Babalu wrote:
I still need to hack into that big ass log Wheeler gave to me....maybe I'll chain saw some weight off of it and bring it back a second time :)

I saw that log out by your bar. I have log-envy!

B

On 2007-08-21 20:51, Babalu wrote:
In like Flint!! Bowana - you want to ride up together again?

Sure thing, Babalu. I volunteered to possibly pick up the ribs, but now I don't know what's happening with that. Can someone clarify, puleez?

C

Actually, we should just get something catered from Kealani's in Oceanside, it would make everything mucho easier. They're a hop-skip-jump from 4WD's; I don't know why we haven't done it before. Their 'Sweet & Sour Ribs' are REALLY good; boneless, slow cooked.

Phil's can wait till next time - Mieko and I are working it out before the date, don't worry.

Here are some pics that Grace and I got of most of us.....

Bali Hai

Cam, swimmin' with the hippies

Cheeky, the bartender

Grace and Kate onstage in their loud dresses

one of the new guys

Eric, looking very piratey

Lee, Cam, and I

Buzzy and I during the 15 minutes he was able to carve

Kate with her log...

Flyboy Mike and I

I have a few more, but this should tide ya'll over!!

MAN, I had so much fun being there with all of you!
I wish it didn't take so long to drive there from Vegas so I could show up more than once a year!
I had a blast at the auction, but I think my poor wifie will be sitting it out next year. Heat and sun are not her friends. I will definately volunteer for the auctioneer spot again if you all will have me. Such power to command great sums of money from people you've never met! Luv it; gotta do it again... Ya think we could actually get it scheduled as an official event in the T.O. 8 program? That whole place would be clammering for S.D. Chop Chop creations!

-just a happy thought...

An opportunity came our way today...

Would you guyz be interested in the following?:

Moving the chop to the PIFA at Mission Bay Park. It would be on Saturday and Sunday, the 22nd and 23rd, during the PIFA festival. We would get our own designated area to carve in, free passes, free parking, and they will feed us all. The only stipulation is that we cannot sell anything there, because we will be in the "cultural" section, as opposed to the "market" section. However, they requested that we provide flyers, business cards, or anything else we could give away to promote ourselves and the other chop events.

I need to know by tomorrow afternoon if we are up for this.

Just to warn you guys, there will be thousands of people there!

Buzzy

B

Buzz....I'm cool with it. Any power out there we can tap into?

OK Choppers, Another opportunity has just crossed our path...I have a guy who just cut down 4 - 70' Fan Palms into 8' lenghts...said we could pick as much up, or as little of it up as we want. The stuff is wet, and heavy. I know that most of you are going to be at the tree service people thing on Sat, but we could go over Sunday...what do ya think? Game? Need trucks, and a gas powered chain saw. I will go over Saturday and check pile while you all are at this other Chop. It's in Escondito (sp) some place.

BO-WA-NA!!!

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-08-23 15:57 ]

Babs, do you know if it's peeled? Take a pic if you go out there.

Buzz et al, PIFA (Pacific Islander Festival Association) http://www.pifasandiego.com/ is a huge cultural celebration for people of Pacific island descent. I've been to it, and as a white dood, I would feel uncomfortable carving tikis there. Especially while sitting in a group of other white doods, and doodettes. Just my thoughts...

M
mieko posted on Thu, Aug 23, 2007 4:13 PM

Wow Buzzy. While I do see Bill's point, I'd be pretty excited to participate.

I would want to do flyers about us, and who we are. Point out that we're carvers, that we usually do more poly pop, but that we do respect the roots of pacific islanders and carvers, and that we love to share what we do so that people can experience it as they desire.

I know I'm not stating this well, but this is some of the reason that I'd like to formalize the group some, come up with a name, and somewhat of a mission statement.

One of the most enjoyable things I did over the weekend is encourage an employee of the hotel to go to Rockler and to start doing some woodworking. If I could encourage people to become interested in the carvings of their ancestors and try it themselves, it would make me very happy.

B

Hey Wheeler,

I don't think they've been skinned...I'll pick a load up on Saturday, and post a picture or two of the pile. We can run back and forth on Sunday till it's gone if we get an itching to do that. Sounds like it could keep a few choppers in wood for a spell.

B

I kinda feel the same as 4Wheeler about PIFA. And 1000 people? Yikes!

I didn't have anything in the Auction at TikiOasis, but I sold a pendant or two.....or three....I 'd like to contribute to the Chop Fund. Who's got the coffee can?

I could go either way on the location of the chop......and it may be a good place to get pointers from real islanders....AND chop for two days? YAY!......OR, we could just do our thing like normal and have yummy ribs, musubi, and a few GREAT new people I know would like to come and learn to chop.....I'm WAY on the fence, man. Whatever you guys want!!

I wish there were two of me, man!!(and neither one was injured)

For Babalus log thingy, I'm booked up this sunday. Can the logs wait until monday? I can't lift anything heavier than my kid, but I can provide a gas chainsaw and a four runner.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2007 6:29 AM

I'd love to participate in the PIFA gig, Saturday at least. I went last year and it is LAID BACK. I mean, you gots no idea how laid back it is. The handicraft area where we'd be is pretty easy going. We could maybe get the infamous Richard Howell to lope along with us, with his collection of South Seas tools. There was no carving of ANY kind there last year, but quite a few goofy non-traditional tikis. We'd probably be the hit of the show. The artist formerly known as Dav with his new piece would blow everybody away, really nice work there.

And the whole day is one hula troop after another up on stage, it's like Oasis but I think way more entertaining. There are extremely cute vahines all over the place.

See for yourself, here's a bit of last year's event...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5636&forum=17&vpost=256491

And if they feed us, I'm first in line. All I had all day at the Oasis Chop was one bagel.

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-08-24 06:39 ]

On 2007-08-23 16:00, 4WDtiki wrote:
Buzz et al, PIFA (Pacific Islander Festival Association) http://www.pifasandiego.com/ is a huge cultural celebration for people of Pacific island descent. I've been to it, and as a white dood, I would feel uncomfortable carving tikis there. Especially while sitting in a group of other white doods, and doodettes. Just my thoughts...

I was excited about this too since I've yet to attend a PIFA event after almost a decade in San Diego but agree w/4WD that carving there might raise an eybrow or two among some islandr attendees. It's certainly not that we aren't good enough to carve there, it's just that this is their one time a year to sell their whatever they want without having to compete with the haoles. If I might play the devils advocate to drive the point home, I kinda see this as similar to those white guys who whittle traditional Native American items to sell at the Pow Wows.

What if we all participate in carving one Big Ass log at the event just as an exhibition on Sunday?. It'd be fun all working on one log and we'd raise awareness of our organization in the proccess. If we get an 8 footer and use both sides, sixteen carvers could each carve a one foot face! As long as we don't sell it it won't be stepping on any islander's toes.

That way we can get some exposure and still have our own chop on Saturday without the posibility of offending a huge crowd of Polynesians on Saturday.

Of course we haven't asked yet so this we may be worrying for nothing.

You guys want me to make the phone call?

OOps almost forgot.... In other news...

Went to Phil's as promised and unfortunately there is no real discount for large orders. They need to know how many people will be attending, how many eat ribs etc. ,then they will recommend how many racks or half racks. I have a menu here somewhere but seem to remember a half rack of Baby Backs, w/2 small sides were about ten bucks.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2007-08-24 09:45 ]

M

You guys want me to make the phone call?

Nope, Buzzy's all over it and will make arrangements. If he needs anything he can contact me or Cammo.

I see it as a chance to do something a lot like Oasis. Bring some wood, bring some tools and do some carving. Like Oasis we're not there to vend (although that wasn't strictly enforced at Oasis, I think we should enforce it here.) It gives people a chance to see what we're doing, ask questions, and learn.

I think events like this are really exciting, but I do see that some may not want to participate. What do people think about doing our "official" September chop on a different weekend, and those who want to can go to the PIFA event.

I'll propose the 8th for the official chop - hang out at someone's house, eat, swap ideas and carve as much (or as little) as you want.

I'm down for whatever you guys are doing......I'm a Lemming, here. Mike and Melissa will only be out for the 22nd, though.

I'm okay with either day. I'd be a little intimidated with the PIFA, but I doubt that would stop me going. I'll do whatever. I just want to chop!

Ever been beaten up by an angry Islander? I've seen what they can do and if we do this, I will be on my best "please and thank you" behaviour. These people take their culture and heritage seriously because it's all they have left after the rape and theft of their lands. I have a lot of respect for these people and I want it to show.

No Hunter S. Thompson shit where he waved a Samoan battle club while entering the fishing village by boat, proclaiming "I AM LONO!!"
Poor bastard spent the rest of his trip hiding from natives that wanted to crush his skull!

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM
myspace.com/billytoney

[ Edited by: billybobaloo 2007-08-24 12:50 ]

On 2007-08-24 12:44, billybobaloo wrote:
No Hunter S. Thompson shit where he waved a Samoan battle club... proclaiming "I AM LONO!!" Poor bastard spent the rest of his trip hiding from natives that wanted to crush his skull!

Yeah! LOL! What a great book, sadly out of print.

I've no doubt all planning to attend will be on best behavior, and after re-reading Buzzy's post it appears the organizers are well aware what we're about and have apparently INVITED us. Put me in the definate column guys. It would be a tremendous honor to do some respectful demonstration carving for the very peoples that have inspired me. Sorry for the stagefright.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2007-08-24 14:33 ]

They actually INVITED us!!?? I'm THERE! What an honour, man!!

The Curse of Lono is by far my favourite Gonzo book. The sea captain and his cocaine, the red paper all over the walls after the storm, the BLUE HAND!! Classic enough to bring a tear.

Hey all. Melissa and I had a blast at Oasis. Thanks to everyone for being so friendly. It has made learning about tiki and carving much more fun. We are going to be in San Diego on the 22. I'm down for this PIFA event or just a normal chop. We have to drive back on the 23 though. And I am allowed to get my tools now. So where does everyone recommend getting the starter set from? I am excited to be able to carve at home now. Can't wait to see everyone again. Always so much fun!
-Tiki Fly boy

M

Hey Mike! Best prices for flexcut as of a few months ago was here:
http://www.cybercarving.com/mallet.htm
I like the MC150 Starter set, but most like the MC175 "Super Mallet Set" aka the Sculptor's set. Depends what size stuff you're doing a little.

Criminy, I could have saved $30 bucks by going there instead of the Flexcut site!!

M
mieko posted on Mon, Aug 27, 2007 4:06 PM

Ok, talked to a few people and it sounds like we want to do an "official" chop on Sept 8th, and the PIFA event will be a separate thing for people who feel comfortable enough to go.

Chop will be at Bill's house in Oceanside, he will PM address/instructions to anyone that doesn't have them a day or two ahead of time.

I'm in for the 8th. I've got a canopy for some extra shade now too.

The event on the 22-23, I must admit I'd be afraid of stepping on some toes....

I'll definitely be there on the 8th.

HT

I may not have time to finish a new knot board but will bring one of my old ones for all to see.

Brian

I'm down for both chops. I'm just crazy that way.

G

Will there be a chop on the 22nd as well?
I wanted to start my Tiki carving education this month.

Yes, but the chop on the 22nd has been turned into a demo at the PIFA event. You're welcome to stop in, check us out, and maybe take a wack at a log. I'm really excited about this event and the fact that they invited a bunch of Haolis to come carve for them.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies