Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sept. San Diego Chop Chop - 8th in O'side, thanks for coming out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies

T

Look ookoo. I jinxed it. I jinxed it real good. Remember the conversation we had at the swap meet last month...

My apologies for the non sequitur.

On 2007-09-02 18:40, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Pasadena City College is the first Sunday of the month, and Long Beach is the third Sunday.

T

On 2007-09-04 19:18, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-09-02 18:40, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Pasadena City College is the first Sunday of the month, and Long Beach is the third Sunday.

It was Long Beach. Didn't find much. Jonpaul and Marie had already been through.

I found a really funny typo while researching Wildebeest........

At the age of three or four the male leaves the group and attempts to establish territories of his own. These territories may be held only briefly while the female herd is passing, or they may be maintained for many years. A female will then attempt to mate with any mature female that enters his territory. The young are born at the beginning of rainy season when food is most abundant. A wildebeest calf can stand within 15 minutes of birth and can run shortly after. Until the calf is weaned, at about nine months, it stays close to its mother for protection. But the calves are easy prey for large predators such as lions, and many die.

I guess Wildebeest are lesbian?

HT

On 2007-09-04 19:28, Billy the Crud wrote:

I know your wife, why would would you ever look up Wildebeest????

T

Alright. Where are Ona and Moki? Come on, Ric. When are you going to use that one last post?

On 2007-09-04 19:28, Billy the Crud wrote:

At the age of three or four the male leaves the group and attempts to establish territories of his own. These territories may be held only briefly while the female herd is passing, or they may be maintained for many years. A female will then attempt to mate with any mature female that enters his territory. The young are born at the beginning of rainy season when food is most abundant. A wildebeest calf can stand within 15 minutes of birth and can run shortly after. Until the calf is weaned, at about nine months, it stays close to its mother for protection. But the calves are easy prey for large predators such as lions, and many die.

WTF, over?

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 7:49 PM

Some of us (including myself) showed hesitation to chop at PIFA. The following is a response to an email I sent to a friend of mine who dances in one of the hula troupes that have performed at PIFA in the past. She is also of Island descent. She says:

"I definitely think you should do the Tiki Carving at PIFA.  Especially since it was a request..  You know what I mean.  The Pacific Islanders will have nothing but respect for your craft.  I know from experience that although you may not be of Hawaiian ancestry.. if the Aloha spirit and the love for anything Hawaiian (such as hula or tiki carving) exists.. then you are welcomed with Open Arms..."

"So have no shame.. Share your gift with pride.. Especially since you actually take the time to do research and try to make your Tiki's with meaning.. and not just because it looks good."

"So if you do decide to go.. Please let me know.. I definitely want to stop by PIFA and visit you and your carving friends.. Yay!!"

Well, that's all the convincing I need. I'm in!

Buzzy, how did you get this gig in the first place?

On 2007-09-04 19:49, Bowana wrote:

Notoriety, baby!

Buzzy

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 8:19 PM

Great. Just what we need. A cute half naked hula troupe ooh-ing and ahh-ing over Bo's exquisite carvings.

That shouldn't make the Islander guys jealous. Nah. We'll be fine.

I'm attaching a tightly strung bungie cord to a fence on the back side of the park. It'll be hooked over a quick-release winch. If anybody tries to break my legs, just hit the lock bar and SPROOOIIING I'll get yanked 75 yards away in 1 3/5 seconds.

Actually, it was a slow, fun, Aloha Baby style event last year. Everybody plops down a big blanket in front of the stage and has a two day picnic while watching hula girls from all over So Cal. Easy going ain't the word for it.

On 2007-09-04 19:49, Bowana wrote:
Some of us (including myself) showed hesitation to chop at PIFA. The following is a response to an email I sent to a friend of mine who dances in one of the hula troupes that have performed at PIFA in the past. She is also of Island descent. She says:

"I definitely think you should do the Tiki Carving at PIFA.  Especially since it was a request..  You know what I mean.  The Pacific Islanders will have nothing but respect for your craft.  I know from experience that although you may not be of Hawaiian ancestry.. if the Aloha spirit and the love for anything Hawaiian (such as hula or tiki carving) exists.. then you are welcomed with Open Arms..."

"So have no shame.. Share your gift with pride.. Especially since you actually take the time to do research and try to make your Tiki's with meaning.. and not just because it looks good."

"So if you do decide to go.. Please let me know.. I definitely want to stop by PIFA and visit you and your carving friends.. Yay!!"

Well, that's all the convincing I need. I'm in!

This almost brings a tear to the eye, man. If I wasn't convinced before(I was all over this the second I heard of it) this would do it for me as well. I went to the PIFA website and there are some Haoles in the dance troupes as well. No worries, man.........aloha spirit, brah!

As for the Wildebeest post, I wasn't understanding the last two posts by Kate and Buzzy, so I thought I'd throw some random shit out there myself. Wildebeest are quite an interesting creature. I spared you their method of marking, though. That was nasty and sort of reminded me of what those guys were doing in our last chop thread......a nasty display of marking with feces and what not.

As for the safety issues, I think apprenticeships are a great way to spread proper working methods. We should all get together for a safety meeting and maybe agree on a few guidelines, then pass these things along to our newbies. At my first chop, everyone was SO helpful, I was sort of shocked, but we are getting bigger and the personal touch that a small group allows may wain. Sounds like we're really moving towards better organization and it's better that we do before someone gets hurt. Hell, one major accident could totally end us, if we weren't careful. Maybe newbies should even sign waivers.......when I was teaching swing lessons, I wouldn't even put on my dancing shoes unless the students had signed one. Gotts to protect ourselves, man. There are a lot of stupid people out there who think that everyone else should pay for their stupidity.......instead of feeding them to the polar bears, like we oughta!!

Jaggof formerly known as Billybobaloo

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM
myspace.com/billytoney

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2007-09-04 23:05 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2007-09-04 23:04 ]

On 2007-09-04 13:45, TikiJosh wrote:
Is there someone who coordinates those things? I'll pay for a log!

I'll bring a couple logs with me. Just bring some food and drinks for everyone else and we'll call it even.

Buzzy out!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 11:23 AM

"bring food and drinks for everyone else..."

What, are you on a no food or drink diet, man?

I was thinking the same thing, man.......maybe he'll be too hopped up on Cherry Pepsi to be able to eat anything. Intervention time?

T

On 2007-09-05 10:41, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I'll bring a couple logs with me. Just bring some food and drinks for everyone else and we'll call it even.

Buzzy out!

Good idea. I'll stop by Costco this week and get a flat of bottled water-- nothing, and I mean nothing was better at Oasis after just 30 minutes than some ice cold water. I mean, damn, it was hot!
I'll also bring a bottle of Black strap for some post-chop drinkin'.

There was talk of ribs and all. The food choices changed depending on where we were planning on meeting. Who's bringing what? Might be helpful if we get a list going of people who volunteered stuff?

I'll bring some kinda snacks, too-- pretzels or something. Any requests?

I'm bringing rum cake, but only one. I need a vote for yellow or chocolate. I only have one clay baking ring, or I'd make two and I'm not staying up until the wee hours baking in this heat. What will it be? Choco or yellow?

HT

On 2007-09-03 14:25, H2O Tiki wrote:
[
And Third, I got some Carne Asada and fresh Dove down in El Centro this weekend. Is anyone up for any or both? Yes Black Strap Rum will be with me, along with some Shasta Tiki Punch. If you need to ask just Waite and see:>

Brian

I can bring tortillas along with the other stuff. Only have around 5 lbs of Carne,
and 10 Dove.

Brian

I love Dove and Quail both, but it's like eating little babies, man. Here are some walnut stuffed, bacon wrapped, quail I shot in Arizona. Tasty little bastards!!!

M
mieko posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 2:46 PM

I think we're going to skip the catered ribs for now, we're just not too sure if any of the places in oceanside are worth the money.

Musubi and Yakisoba will be delivered (Thanks mom & dad!!!)

Rum cake good. Any color good. Both favorite. :) Especially if you will post the recipe for us. :)

On 2007-09-05 13:52, H2O Tiki wrote:
I can bring tortillas along with the other stuff. Only have around 5 lbs of Carne,
and 10 Dove.

Not sure if you're serious or not about the dove, but if you are, BYOBBQ. I'll pass on 'em.

But we can BBQ the Carne, right?

Normal meat's okay. :wink:

You mind if we dig a hole and bury a pig? We should really do that someday, you know.

On 2007-09-05 14:46, mieko wrote:
I think we're going to skip the catered ribs for now, we're just not too sure if any of the places in oceanside are worth the money.

Musubi and Yakisoba will be delivered (Thanks mom & dad!!!)

Rum cake good. Any color good. Both favorite. :) Especially if you will post the recipe for us. :)

Mieko, you may have the recipe, but I refuse to post it. I simplified it from the Tortuga recipe and it actually turned out WAY better than the first one I tried. If I remember, I'll bring you a hard copy, or I'll Email it to you. Thank you for liking my rum cake....maybe I WILL make two. I am VERY happy that you all are my friends!!!!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 5:27 AM

Billy the Spud -

I grew up next door to a German bakery from age 1-9 and lived off whipped cream puff cakes carved into little swans, cherry tarts with lattice-lace tops, and chocolate creams that still outdo anything at the fanciest shops.

At Christmas the guy would make giant gingerbread houses and RUM CAKES. The cakes were so drenched in rum that I couldn't actually eat them, but the adults seemed to enjoy 'em over anything else.

So dude, I want some.

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 5:56 AM

Sorry troops...Babalu has been out of the Country for much to long this last trip. I owe my sweetie some one on one this weekend. Will make the 22nd.

You will be missed, Babs. I always look forward to seeing what cool and crazy thing you're going to come up with next, so I'll have to wait for PIFA to see! Welcome back stateside. The country just wasn't the same without you.

PIFA Update: We got the official greenlight from the PIFA yesterday. I need the participating carvers to PM me to confirm your participation and your Tshirt sizes. I'll fill you in on the rest at the chop on Saturday, but I need this info right away.

Buzzy Out!

T

sounds like we got
H20--carne, tortillas
Mieko--musubi
Billy--rum cake.
Awesome.
I'll bring a load of water, maybe a few bottles of soda. I'll also bring along some tortilla chips and salsa. I'll see what I can find at Costco.

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 8:01 PM

I'm good for pineapple fruit skewers.

.........and that's pretty much all I'm good for.

All right! Babalu's back. Our man in Amsterdam!

On 2007-09-06 13:27, TikiJosh wrote:
sounds like we got
H20--carne, tortillas
Mieko--musubi
Billy--rum cake.
Awesome.
I'll bring a load of water, maybe a few bottles of soda. I'll also bring along some tortilla chips and salsa. I'll see what I can find at Costco.

I'm also bringing cock, man......you can't have any, but you can put that on your list.

FUNNY story, if you're the SOB that did it, but I was up late, carving on my porch last night and heard a knock on the gate. I opened it up and I was being drawn down on by the Chula Vista PD.........one of my neighbors decided to call the police and tell them that I was drunk and armed on my porch. Not cool. I came walking out of my gate with my mallet and a chisel in my hand and almost got shot. I hate this place, man. Condos are for CHUMPS!!

Zaya's cousin, Erin(No tiki name yet), from Santa Barbara is coming down for the chop at Wheeler's. He's carved a small tiki with a dremel tool recently and has a log ready to go at home after he checks out some of our fancy tools and sees what he needs. He heard about how much fun this whole tiki carving thing was and thought he'd give it a shot. Another log junkie will be born...

Also, there was a green folding chair in a bag left at the oasis chop that I'll bring on saturday.

And finally, TBird-you going to need one of them wake up calls again?

Buzzy Out!

T

Buzz, I know I can count on you (Edison is another story!) I hope that when you call it will find me already on the road, but please do anyway.

Man, I'm so bummed, but looks like I can't make the chop tomorrow, and the event on the 22nd doesn't look good either.

I'm gonna miss seeing everyone, chopping and feasting on musubi.
:(

Is there such thing as carving withdrawls?
Have fun everyone -- I'll see ya'll at the next chop!

Dangit, Nelva!! Why not?

sorry but my pops and i wont be able to make the chop. my house was broken into today while my wife and daughter were out having lunch. the police caught one of the perps but one got away they had our street blocked off for 5 hrs apparently they were armed. my wife's a little freaked out so were staying in this weekend. hope the chop goes well. maybe ill see you guys on the 22nd.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 8:11 PM

"apparently they were armed..."

Sam, that ain't no excuse! Git down here, bro!

On 2007-09-07 19:59, Cannibal Sam wrote:
sorry but my pops and i wont be able to make the chop. my house was broken into today while my wife and daughter were out having lunch. the police caught one of the perps but one got away they had our street blocked off for 5 hrs apparently they were armed. my wife's a little freaked out so were staying in this weekend. hope the chop goes well. maybe ill see you guys on the 22nd.

What the F**K!!?? I'll bet your wife was FREAKED, man!! Did someone put a hex on us, or what? If you scroll back through the thread, you'll see that I was almost shot for carving. SHEESH!!!

Sam, my best goes out to you and your family. Your wife is a sweetie and dosen't deserve that kind of stress........but the bastards that called the fuzz on ME do. I'm starting an intimidation campeighn here at the complex. I still can't believe I'm a homeowner and I can't play music after 10pm.....GRRRR DEATH TO TYRANTS!!!!

great news the police came over this am and had my stuff that was stolen wathches, jewlery, ipod, digital camera, even my cell phone. they caught the 2 nd guy last night tring to sneak out of the nieghborhood. one crook was just 15 yrs old. hope you guys had a great chop(but not to great) today. looking foward to the next one.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 1:08 PM

Looks like I have just too much work here today to make it to the Chop.

So instead I'll be telecommuting to the Chop, and will post pictures of what I'm doing today instead. This is an interesting idea, and permits virtually anyone on Earth to attend our Chops by just posting progress shots while they're doing it. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Maybe because it's a dumb idea. Maybe not.

Anyway, TCers, join in! Make something TIKI! Join our Chops!

First, since the one and original Babalu is now back from goofing off somewhere in Sri Swyndaya, these Oki mugs must be glaze-coated immediately! Three coats each! Get to it Cammo!

T

Well, I'll tele-commute too! Here's the damned serpentine belt I threw on the way in today (whats left of it!)!
Seems like today was a jinxed day for actual commuting / chopping. But Thanks again Buzzy for the call! I'll make it my mission to get down for the 22nd (as long as we don't shoot till 2 AM that Friday!) Hope all are having a good chop! Chop 1 4 me!

T

I'm so glad I was able to come down for a few hours today. As always, I had a wonderful time chopping.

Thanks to Bill and Lennie for hosting again, for cooking for us and for letting me use their computer to order my Kahiki Moai mug.

Thanks to Mieko for the shade and the masubi.

Thanks to H2O for the fabulous carne asada.

Thanks to Josh for bringing the ice chest.

Thanks to everyone else for everything they contributed to the event and for being such good company.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 6:35 PM

Glad everything went well, my day was soooooo boring.

Da kid went to his Kendo class.

And I dashed over to Kensingtron Video, the largest rental collection south of Eddie Brandt's.

Nice choice! NOBODY has this in stock.

Wash the Kendo clothes, and hang them Japanese style out back. They're literally heavy with sweat after 2 hours of practice.

Then back to the mugs. MUGS MUGS MUGS!!!!! I'm seeing them in my sleep now!!!!

Z
Zaya posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 6:36 PM

I had a great time at the chop today! It was nice to see everyone. Thank you again Bill and Lennie!

Here are my pictures from our fun day....

Zaya

[ Edited by: Zaya 2007-09-08 19:29 ]

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 6:58 PM

HEY! You guys got a lot of work done!!! And you look so happy! Happy campers!

Wheeler's looks GREAT. Buzzy's seems to have shrunk considerably over the course of the day.

Here are 5 Okis glazed with 3 coats per. You have to do these on a dry sunny warm day, I don't know how the heck people do it in the winter. You have to let the coats dry before doing the next one.

The ones to the left are totally dry, the ones to the right (darker green means still wet) are still moist. You do them in a line, then go back to the start, and go over the line again. It's not exactly the most exciting thing I've ever done.

Laytah!

Another chop come and gone already. Thanks as always to our hosts.

My photos:

Da Boyz Carving in Da Shade

More work, fun, and food going on in the lounge

Clysdalle, Josh, BtheC, and Bowanadav

Kate carves in the women's section

All these guys do is carve. That's why all the pictures look the same

Someone flipped a switch and this robot started carving

Mr NoNaMe transfers his tennis backhand to carving

Tbird: Sorry you didn't make it. Glad you got home though. There will always be next time...Maybe the bike next time?
Cammo: Ahhh! The Cam cam.

See ya'll next time!
Buzzy Out!

Hell Buzz, with you doing such a killer job as photojournalist / color commentator, I could sit here at home like most folks from the L.A. area and enjoy the chop from home, AND save on gas and repairs! I think you might be right, the bike next time:roll:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies