Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

bigt carvings

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 572 replies

god i luv that guy!!! mucho props again!!! cheerz big t!! p.s. good deal on the chisel!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-15 19:42 ]

T

BTScott - thanks again!

Been working on another cannibal guy. Just about have him roughed out. Other than that, just waitin on spring and daylights savings time! :lol:

Off to a great start!

Yeah, lookin' sweet so far.

new guy lookin deep and detailed already!!! luvin it!! cheerz!!

B

On 2010-02-16 14:57, TheBigT wrote:

Looks great dude.

Bennno

C

yes, looking great.

B

Looks Sweet, Nice detail.

T

TikiMango, SurfinTiki, BTScott, Benella, Clarita, Benz - thanks all for the compliments! I'm not completely happy with this design. This is my 2nd attempt and I think I will probably fine tune him a little more and then start another one before finishing him entirely.

I have several more feet of the log he came from so I think he's going to get a brother soon!

A
amate posted on Sat, Feb 20, 2010 3:49 PM

I can see a refinement from the first one. Number three is gonna be killer.

i 2nd that!!! cheerz!!

T

Oh wow, I can't believe it's been almost half year since I posted any updates! Happy summer everyone. :lol:

Thanks for all the comments on the previous carving. Believe it or not, he's still not finished. This is as far as I got him in February.

Then started a new one. Spent March working on this guy:

And while he's further along than the pics show, he's not finished either. I guess I didn't take any newer pics yet...

Spent April & May working on this new guy:

Then, put that guy aside and started working on this little misshapen log:

This one was really just an experiment/practice on carving legs, bringing the body out of the wood, carving deeper, blah, blah blah. It started to look better and better along the way. The head is still misshapen. Don't know if I can fix that or not, but I think I'm going to set him aside and go back to the unfinished one from Feb and see if I can finish all these guys out this summer.

Thanks for looking all! Comments and ideas welcome! :)

A

Big T,

The care you are putting into these guys really shows. I REALLY like the tall one but don't give up on the last one either. Some of my favorite carvings are the asymetrical ones. Gives them personality. Post again soon.

T

Thanks amate! I finally managed to finish one of these:

Nice Marq......nice finish.....I like the simplicity of the body.

N

great tiki, nice piece of wood

Beautiful

Love how the grain is flowing with your lines! Nice carve!

Looks great! Nice choice of stain/oil!

P

very cool stuff.

The grain on that last one really came out with the stain.

T

conga: thank you, yep i was striving for something simple and, hopefully, appealing :)

nomolos,drastic, lake: many thanks! I don't like carving this pine all that much, but have to admit the grain pattern can be really striking.

pennjones, pjc5150: much appreciated. i chose to leave this one a little on the light side to let the grain show through. however, i am staining the next one a bit darker just for fun. :)

Interesting grain on that Marq. Nice job!

T

On 2010-08-24 14:00, surfintiki wrote:
Interesting grain on that Marq. Nice job!

Surfin - thanks for stopping in. Much appreciated. :)

Hey everyone, I've reached a new milestone - double digits tikis!!! woohoo! Just finished tiki #10.

B

Another great one BigT, you sure he's only # 10? Excellenr but and teeth.

T

On 2010-08-28 07:23, Benzart wrote:
Another great one BigT, you sure he's only # 10? Excellenr but and teeth.

Hey Benz, thanks! Yes, only 10. Feels like it took forever to get there...

T

Hi All!

Almost done with the maoi I have been working on all year! He's 6' tall.

B

LOOKIN'Good!

keep up the good work

A
amate posted on Sun, Dec 19, 2010 1:48 PM

I see you've been putting some of those large logs to use. I'll bet he weighs a ton. Probably make a good door stop! :D Can't wait to see him finished.

T

Thanks Benz & Marcus! The crappy picture doesn't really do it justice.

Amate: Yeah, it weighs a ton (probably 200 - 250 lbs I'm guessing).

Here's some earlier pics:

T

Happy New Year all! The new Moai is finally done. I cut some damaged area off of the bottom, so the height is now 5' 10". But it still weighs a ton. :lol:

The tattoos are different on each side, but didn't get a clear pic of the other arm.

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2011-01-07 12:44 ]

M

That is an awesome Moai BT! I love the grain too!

Really big job. Looks great already! Keep chiseling.

P

all I'm getting is empty boxes with red x's.

:(

T

I have restored the photos from my last post. I think all of us have lost any pics we posted in the last few days. :(

P

dude, thanks for fixin' that up!

...and that's a killer piece. Nice work man.

A
amate posted on Sat, Jan 8, 2011 9:13 AM

On 2011-01-03 07:21, TheBigT wrote:

I love the birdman on the back. That's great stuff.

T

pcj5150 & amate: thanks for the comps!

Making some progress on the new/old tiki. I started this one last year and have been working on it now that the moai is done.

L

This Ku is on the good way...

So your Moai have a good look, especialy with the bird man on the back.

J.

A
amate posted on Tue, Jan 25, 2011 8:46 AM

Killer Ku! I was wondering what happened to this guy and I'm glad to see your still at it. I never realized how long it takes to carve one of those big logs.

S

Yes! Looking Good!

T

Laojia, thanks so much!
Thanks amate, not sure it normally takes so much longer. It just takes me longer... haha.
Seeks, many thanks!

Well this guy is finally finished. Took a whole year to finish. Altho I did carve three other tikis in between. Any way, glad to have him done.

C

Very nice BigT, great carve and great finish too. The grain really pops out on this guy.

N

Very Nice...That finish really brings out the character of the wood. Excellent work!

L
Lente posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2011 12:38 PM

Wow man.

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2011 1:57 PM

Big T that is stunning!

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2011 2:05 PM

YOur lasted one is top notch.

I know on your next Moai you won't have the same nose.

T

Conga, thanks! Yes I left this one a little lighter to let the grain show through since he has so many different angles.
Nixxon, Lente, McTiki, thanks a bunch! Glad you like him. :)

Teakey, yep hopefully not! He had a lot more wood to remove to get his nose to stand out more. He really needed some more depth allow over. It was kinda hard for me to gauge given his size. He's another half as much wider than the one I just finished.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 572 replies