Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Central's Tiki Crawl 7 is Nov. 8th-11th! UPDATE: Mug release at FI, Webcast announcement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 145 replies

Aloha everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the dates of the Tiki Central Tiki Crawl ... the event that started it all! Everything you need to know can be found on The official Tiki Central Tiki Crawl website!

Update: Locations and times available for all four days on our Locations page!

Update: Forbidden Island will be host to a very special mug release during the Saturday leg of the Tiki Crawl. Details here.

Update: Can't make it to the Crawl? Watch it stream live on Tiki Central!

Update:Download and print your own schedule for the crawl.

Transportation discussion starts on page 4 of this topic.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2007-11-07 18:45 ]

S

Yaaaaay!

J

On 2007-09-19 22:27, suzanne wrote:
Yaaaaay!

My sentiments exactly!!!

Thanks for not doing it the first weekend in November! :wink:

Whahoo!!!!

Why no official bus?

On 2007-09-19 23:28, Hakalugi wrote:
Why no official bus?

The bus is the single biggest expense, the single biggest risk, and one of the hardest aspects to organize (selling the tickets, head counts, coordinating with the bus company, managing crowd expectations with each location, etc.) L The event is getting off to a late start as it, and in order to reduce the amount risk I decided to drop the Bus from my organizing duties and focus on other aspects of the event.

I strongly encourage crawl goers to organize your own transportation options in the California Events forum, and I'll link to those topic(s) from the main Crawl site.

Mahalo!

Hanford

S

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I CAN'T GO!

I am singing in the chorus of Romeo and Juliet and we open that weekend! I'm heartbroken! ACK!

Suzanne

I am going to do everything possible to get over there again! I will even learn to fly if I have to!
I got some practice in at FI last year.

Suzanne....Bummer! Does that mean I have to wait till next Hukilau 2 see ya?

It will be great to see everyone I met last year again!

Oh yeah, Thanks Hanford! It has to be allot of work and you are appreciated!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2007-09-20 06:22 ]

TWO

Organizing the bus does sound like a tremendous amout of work, but that was the draw. Not having to drive in unfamiliar cities, hanging out with fellow TC'ers, and delicious rum drinks sounds great.
It'll take incredible super powers to be a designater driver at an event like this. Any volunteers???

I will check and see if Chris is going to try and come with me again this year. He.... does not drink but is a real sport and might be willing to drive a van the last night if I score him a ticket with my Skymiles.

Although I am trying to use them to get me close to Easter Island.

He was appreciative last year but I think I would much rather he show it this year by driving instead of giving me stubble burn.

What a great beginning to the holidays! Count 2 more Crawlers for Friday thru Sunday. Thanks, Hanford! Yeehaw.......

S

"Learnin' to fly, but I ain't got wings...." (One of my other favorite people from Florida!)

On 2007-09-20 06:20, Bohemiann wrote:
I am going to do everything possible to get over there again! I will even learn to fly if I have to!
I got some practice in at FI last year.

Suzanne....Bummer! Does that mean I have to wait till next Hukilau 2 see ya?

Bohemiann, I am heartbroken about this. I had a mad plan hatching to try and get there but I don't know if I can truly make it work. Check your pms.

M

On 2007-09-20 07:04, Tai Won On wrote:
Organizing the bus does sound like a tremendous amout of work, but that was the draw. Not having to drive in unfamiliar cities, hanging out with fellow TC'ers, and delicious rum drinks sounds great.
It'll take incredible super powers to be a designater driver at an event like this. Any volunteers???

I would encourage people to look not just into taxis, but also 8,10,12,14 or more passenger limos or vans. Start PMing people, round up friends- we'll post the names of some reputable limo/shuttle companies we've worked with in the past. It is a great feature, and hell, if you're feeling a little spendy, you can get something much nicer than what we could afford in the past.

Don't panic- it will be fine.

Alas! I will be attending a wedding on the East Coast (I guess some people still live there?) this weekend. And I was so looking forward to it!

YEAH!!! Count me in on this one. I will drive and probably have some friends along for the event. I am so glad you will be posting info here Hanford. I have that AOL mail addy and seldom check my other 100 email addresses. :)

hmmm, gonna try.
November in san fran in hawaiian dresses.
brrrrrrr.

Yep! Brrrrr is likely, hence wool Sailor Pants!!

Yayyyyyy, The Crawl is back!
Can't wait.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Like Martin said, just becuase there's no "Official" bus, does not mean people can't pull together and get a bus (or limos, or whatever you want!). The locations and times will be published soon and you'll have the info you need to arrange what you want.

S

On 2007-09-20 13:00, Haole'akamai wrote:

ITCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yuck!

Tai Won On and I are looking into chartering a bus or van from the
Los Gatos / San Jose area for the event.If anyone is interested let us know.

wow........Thanksgiving and Christmas come early this year!

On 2007-09-20 15:56, sweetpea wrote:

On 2007-09-20 13:00, Haole'akamai wrote:

ITCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yuck!

Hmmm, never had that problem. I love both of my pairs.

I'm really thinking that I'll be able to attend this.

Question: What's happening on Sunday the 11th? Just wondering so I'll know when to book my return flight (on Sunday or Monday).

Mahalo,
Chris

Wow Chris, it would be really cool if you made it!

Sunday is typically a slower day on the crawl, starting around 11:00 or noon, with one location and a lot of Play-Doh. Seriously. It's kind of "nurse the hangover" day, release some stress with play-doh ... and it gives time for the organizers to finally relax. it goes until whenever(I think I left at 5 or 6pm last year), and is very informal -- but it is also very fun and social; a different vibe than the other days. Last year it turned into a barbecue, but that was in the summer when it was warmer.

While the schedule is not set in stone, that's what Sunday will be, more or less.

~Hanford

On 2007-09-21 02:48, Tiki Chris wrote:
I'm really thinking that I'll be able to attend this.

Question: What's happening on Sunday the 11th? Just wondering so I'll know when to book my return flight (on Sunday or Monday).

Mahalo,
Chris

Okay. I just booked my flight. WOO-HOO and hot damn! I'm flying out on the 11th. I would have loved to stay the extra day but I'll really need to get back home.

Before the Crawl, I'll be in San Diego for the Tiki Magazine Art Show on November 2nd. I'm still sorting out what happens between San Diego and the Crawl.

See you kids soon!
Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2007-09-21 07:43 ]

On 2007-09-21 03:29, hanford_lemoore wrote:

Sunday is typically a slower day on the crawl, starting around 11:00 or noon, with one location and a lot of Play-Doh. Seriously. It's kind of "nurse the hangover" day, release some stress with play-doh ...

~Hanford

On 2007-09-21 02:48, Tiki Chris wrote:
Question: What's happening on Sunday the 11th?
Mahalo,
Chris

Humu's Photos of the '06 PlayDoh ThrowDown

On 2007-09-20 09:31, martiki wrote:

I would encourage people to look not just into taxis, but also 8,10,12,14 or more passenger limos or vans. Start PMing people, round up friends- we'll post the names of some reputable limo/shuttle companies we've worked with in the past. It is a great feature, and hell, if you're feeling a little spendy, you can get something much nicer than what we could afford in the past.

Don't panic- it will be fine.

Awesome Bartender and all round Brilliant Guy that Martin!!! :D
I was kinda thinkin' the same thing....figured the average long van/Limo holds 10 people, that's just 5 couples, $50 bucks a head just like the bus....minus the nice goody bags and sharing such a fun evening with 40 other tipsy Tiki revelers!!!
Sacramento Tiki Crowd - Napa/Santa Rosa let's pull the Grape White North together!! :lol: Could even plan on the hotel near either Trader Vic's Emeryville or the A Frame place near Forbidden Island - depending on the schedule, for the after party!
:wink:

V

lucky Tikichris !
I'd so wish I could come again to this great event !! I love SF, and I've never been to the Forbidden Island.

S

I'll miss all of you kids but had a great time at Forbidden Island this past weekend. I'll be thinking of you!

Suzanne

N

Man I can't wait!!!

Last year was an Awesome crawl.

I just hope I dont lose my Mug this time

Bye Bye Orchids R1!!!!!!

See all of ya Soon..

Watch for falling monkeys and associates! EEk-EEk. YAY! It time to do the crawl y'all!

Chongolio

J

On 2007-09-27 22:38, Chongolio wrote:
Watch for falling monkeys and associates! EEk-EEk. YAY! It time to do the crawl y'all!

Chongolio

Does this mean you'll be joining us, Chongo?!? That would just make the weekend complete!

Chongo asked me to haul his ass around in his rickshaw between bars on the crawl.
Ya, like that's gonna happen.
Didn't even offer me a drink.

S

If Chongolio comes back all the way from HI and I can't even make it from Tejas I am REALLY, REALLY going to CRY!!!

Suzanne

S

P.S. Unga Bunga, I'd buy you a drink, and you don't even have to carry me around. :wink:

Suzanne

Yes I will be crawlin' for at least one of the nights. Plans are still in the works. Turns out the crawl was scheduled at a time when I was already planning to be in Caifornia for the Tiki Mag Art Show in San Diego, so I added a few days to my time off so I could make the scene and hang out with Tiki Chris, Tiki Racer and all you other cool cats and kittens.

Unga- MUSH, I say! MUSH MUSH you lazy sod.

J

Yipeeeee!!!! :D :D :D

I actually had a volunteer gig scheduled for Saturday night, that I cancelled today when I realized it was the same weekend as the crawl! Sell CDs to a bunch of jazz fans when I can be drinkin' with Chongolio?!? I think NOT! Even if it means missing Herbie Hancock! :o

S

Sniff, Sniff, Sniff!!!

Aw, man...... geez. Now I won't get to see Chongolio either.

Suzanne

J

On 2007-09-28 19:13, Chongolio wrote:
... so I added a few days to my time off so I could make the scene and hang out with Tiki Chris, Tiki Racer ...

The British are coming! The British are coming!

:D :D :D

CL

Suzannnnnne,

I have the "my throat is sore + 100 other excuses to duck out to CA for a day" list ready if
you need it! And you have a free place to stay...just a friendly nudge of corruption. :wink: :D

xoxo

On 2007-09-28 21:53, suzanne wrote:
Sniff, Sniff, Sniff!!!

Aw, man...... geez. Now I won't get to see Chongolio either.

Suzanne

S

I don't need the corruption, I'm already doing pretty good there! I just need to decide if I'm insane enough to try and swing a one day affair back to the Island.... These are the details; I have a performance on Friday night at 8pm (probably until 11) and then a matinée on Sunday, at 3pm. So, IF I made it, I'd have to:

• Catch a flight at the crack of dawn to Oakland (there are no Friday night red-eyes, I checked, so I'd be on the 5am plane)

• Get in around 9am or so. Attempt to sleep, although I imagine with my excitement this would be somewhat difficult

• Crawl all night Saturday, carouse, see all of my wonderful ohana from all over the US!, and generally be merry

• Catch the 5am flight back Sunday morning

• Arrive back in Texas about 11am Sunday

• Drive directly from the airport to the theater in Denton for a 1pm call, 3pm curtain

... and sing a 3 hour Gounod opera with no sleep, and most certainly a very healthy amount of rum in my system.

As I told Bohemiann, they don't call me the 'Queen of Insane Fabulousness' for nothing (and they do)!

So, what I'm really trying to decide is if I think I can pull this off. It wouldn't be the first time I've done something this insane (hence the moniker), and is certainly WOULD be fabulous, and I want to see all of you desperately, BUT, well, the cons are certainly apparent, aren't they?

Suzanne

S

Suzanne,

I don't envy your decision making! It's a tough one! I did something like this a few months ago. While it was worth it at the time, I did get a cold, which wasn't too bad, but then the cough hung on for a loong time (8 weeks). In hind sight, I wish I'd found a way to build a little more cushioning into my schedule (still not sure how, though). Is there anyway you can get someone to cover for you or trade with you or reschedule one of your performances? I know sometimes none of this is possible, but thought I'd throw it out in case you hadn't thought of it.

It was great meeting you at Hinky Drinks! All the best with your tough decision.

S

Hi Sgirl:

Unfortunately, I don't get the option of asking someone to cover for me... not in performance! Such is just how it is, sometimes. I'd sure love to make it out for the crawl, and while I still might, on the other hand, I know I definitely should not!

Suzanne

S
Sgirl posted on Tue, Oct 2, 2007 10:57 AM

Suzanne, I understand. My job is like that. The inflexibility is such a pain since I can't be in two places at once. I keep trying though!

N

Is there uh.... going to be a Limited Edition mug? hopeful grin

Damn...this may be another excuse for another Road Trip in my little Orange Monster!

I'm a little broke these days, but I'm gonna see if I can swing this!

On 2007-10-03 22:00, CheekyGirl wrote:
Damn...this may be another excuse for another Road Trip in my little Orange Monster!

I'm a little broke these days, but I'm gonna see if I can swing this!

I call the back driver side seat!! :lol:

Seriously.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 145 replies