Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Bosko close to fire?

Pages: 1 31 replies

TS

I hope all is well with TCrs and Bosko during these firestorms.I dont know where exactly he lives in relation to the fires, but I hope all is well with everyone, my fingers are crossed for TC Ohana!

Yep same here - Hope all is well! I hear San Diego has some evacuations - Its in the news that way but I have no other facts.
Fire is hot - Pele stay away from all humans!

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2007-10-22 15:20 ]

HT

Hi all, So far over 100,000 acers have burned, and 250,000 people have had to flee their homes, and that in San Diego County alone. Sure some TC people here have had to move out from home.

Thanks for your thoughts..

H2O

LT

I believe Bosco is in the Escondido area which is safe at the moment but sandwiched between two fires; Fallbrook on the north and San Pasqual/Rancho Bernardo on the south. There is also a fire in the Coronado hills of San Marcos which is on Escondido's western border. I was in downtown Escondido about two hours ago and it is full of smoke from the San Pasqual/Rancho Bernardo fires. It's a bit surreal; looking south the sky is red/brown and generally scary, looking north the sky is crystal clear and serene for about 10-15 miles and then more smoke - but not as much from what I can see - in Fallbrook. At any rate, depending on where in Escondido he resides it's either crystal clear and pleasant (aside from the fires it's a very nice day) or he's dealing with a lot of rather uncomfortable smoke. To my knowledge there have been no evacuations in Escondido. The fires are generally moving west and there is serious speculation that they may burn to the sea. Solana Beach and parts of Del Mar have been asked to evacuate.

LT

Here are a few pics...

I15 South-bound approaching San Marcos

Northern fringe of Escondido

Entering Downtown Escondido

Downtown Escondido @ Walgreens looking up

Downtown Escondido @ Walgreens looking North

Downtown Escondido @ Walgreens looking South

Downtown Escondido @ Walgreens looking North-East

Downtown Escondido traveling South, approx. 5 miles from northern fringe of fire

2-3 Miles North of Escondido traveling South - Smoke from Fallbrook fire visible

2-3 Miles North of Escondido traveling South - Smoke from Fallbrook fire visible

Lawrence Welk Resort - North of Escondido traveling South - Smoke from Fallbrook fire visible

The sky is red and ash is falling everywhere like 4 years ago, but worse. Smells like bunt ass outside and it's hard to breathe. No fun.

What hurricanes and flooding are to the Gulf Coast, santa ana winds and fire are to So. California. Earthquakes are doo-doo compared to wild fires! What we need right now is a good tsunami.

I just spoke with Missus Bosko. I must say I was quite surprised that the phone lines were up let alone someone picking it up on the other end!! You know how you make a phone call sometimes and YOU are the one that is surprised and starteld when someone says "hey"!?
Bosko is watering the lawn, monstera deliciosa, banana trees, hibiscus and the roof. So far, no mandatory evac for them.

Erik the Red, fingers and toes crossed, a couple "wallet, watch spectical, testicals" action. :wink:

Everyone do a rain dance.

http://www.greyhoundog.org/

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-10-22 18:17 ]

Hello all, wasn't there a previous post here from a couple of years back regarding this?!

We are OK, fortunately the Santana wind is at our back/s and the fire is just down the road. Lost phone and electrical service earlier, electrical is back for now, neighbors are gone. Mr NoNaMe the phone lines ARE down but you called the business phone, we are always ready for business!
Mason and I went down to the super market, watching the palms bending in the wind and all the smoke was like living in a black and white war movie.
Thanks so much for everyone's concern, here's a couple of photos from earlier today.

Everyone else out there please take care of yourselves,

Bosko

A shout out to Clysdalle who's kinda close to those flames down south! Send all your good vibes down his way!

On 2007-10-22 19:17, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
Hello all, wasn't there a previous post here from a couple of years back regarding this?!

....neighbors are gone. Mr NoNaMe the phone lines ARE down but you called the business phone, we are always ready for business!

SELL IT, BABY!!!! Can I hear a "fire sale"? WHOOT!!

A shout to all of you down south, get the pump into the pool, aim the hose at the house! Hope you all just have to say how close it came and nothing else!

Stay safe out there ohana!

When looking at those pics I couldn't help but think about the irony that maybe several Walgreens would burn down and we could build tiki bars in their places.

My Mom evacuated 2 days ago. She is in the Wildcat Canyon by Barona in Lakeside. She heard there is fire in her canyon, so won't know for some time as to if she does or doesn't have her home. It is so sad indeed for all of these people, many of whom had just recently recovered and were rebuilding from the 2003 fires. In the Cedar fire, people all around her lost their homes, some people died trying to get out and many animals were lost. Word is that this year it is worse as the winds are stronger. Then there is the impending doom of mudslides in the winter.

(edit to include some helpful links)

Road Closure Map
Donation Option

Stay safe everyone!!!

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-10-23 12:07 ]

On 2007-10-22 20:54, T_birdman wrote:
A shout to all of you down south, get the pump into the pool, aim the hose at the house! Hope you all just have to say how close it came and nothing else!

Here's my uncle Jeff doing just that:

http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=170520

Saved his house with his garden hose. A different fire is now coming back towards him from the other side of the hill. :( Waiting for more news...

Buzzy Out!

On 2007-10-23 12:14, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-10-22 20:54, T_birdman wrote:

Here's my uncle Jeff doing just that:

http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=170520

Saved his house with his garden hose. A different fire is now coming back towards him from the other side of the hill. :( Waiting for more news...

Buzzy Out!

SHIT, Buzzy!

Thats the way to do it, man. Don't be a pussy and run......stick it out and protect your home. America needs more folks like Uncle Jeff!

Keep us posted!

T

I can't see the video, but they said on the news this morning that trying to fight any of this fire with a garden hose, is not smart. Can't blame people for trying though.

Mrs. Mojo and I's thoughts and prays go out to all our SoCal Ohana!

We have family down there!

We occasionally have had a bad fire in the Napa area or Oakland Hills but not the frequency and severity of Southern California with the high winds!

We'll try to think what we can do to help.....send clothes, send money, it just doesn't seem like enough when we're talking about people losing their ENTIRE HOME and everything in it.

I know first hand what it's like trying to collect from your insurance company!

C

On 2007-10-23 10:44, rugbymatt wrote:
Stay safe out there ohana!

When looking at those pics I couldn't help but think about the irony that maybe several Walgreens would burn down and we could build tiki bars in their places.

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

On 2007-10-23 14:47, teaKEY wrote:
I can't see the video, but they said on the news this morning that trying to fight any of this fire with a garden hose, is not smart. Can't blame people for trying though.

Maybe if you're not an able-bodied person, it's not smart. You also have to weigh out your situation. We have it from the horses(Buzzy,no, I'm not calling you a horse) mouth that Jeff Meeker saved his home with his garden hose. Too many people just expect the authorities to fix everything for them and these people are just waiting around for their turn to become victims.
Screw the news, man. This guy is a hero, in my book. Newscasters are a bunch of whiny, PC, Jaggofs.......especially here in San Diego, because all they ever show are the rich neighborhoods, when it comes to disasters of this nature. They never show the folks that live down in the canyons, in trailers and mobile homes that lose everything with no insurance to replace their lives. Every time I watch the news (especially channel 7), I'm further convinced that San Diego TV stations do their personnel recruiting at douchebag conventions.

If I ever become my own biggest fan, somebody SHOOT ME!!

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

C

Why not use the garden hose? It's a directional water delivery system. That's exactly what the National Guard is doing right now with enormous planes for 100,000 times the cost.

Have two hoses? Use both.

Most of San Diego's avocado orchards have simply been turning the sprinklers on once an hour since the fires started. It works.

Man, it's serious business when your home is threatened! I actually have a High volume submersible with a matching hose to throw in the pool in case I found my shit close to burning! Stay behind to save your hard earned investment....HELL YES! I only hope no one else gets hurt and this bullshit comes to an end quickly! Lives can't be replaced, shit can! You folks stay out of harms way so we can all get together again soon and enjoy the simple pleasure of each others company!

TS

I personally hold the media responsible for this travesty. Everytime those story jockeys show riots, fires, and the likes on TV, it worsens the situation 10 fold than that of the original coverage. More than 1 fire was started( and I'll guess around 4 fires) by ARSON....The only reason the arsonsists came out of the woodwork, is because they saw AND learned the conditions being broadcasted ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT... I mean I'm interested and concerned for everyone's well being, but the details they give out on the TV coverage with air pressures, humidity levels, etc...etc...Well, they might as well have personally handed the arsonists a book of matches. Some things are better off left with vague descriptions, PERIOD. Media is indirectly responsible for peoples actions(afterall, media is all about reaction) and should be held accountable for the arson fires. To me, its almost like me handing Timothy McVeigh a copy of the Anarchists cookbook, and when he uses the info in it to blow up a federal building, that I shouldn't be held somewhat accountable for his actions and use of the book.
Anyhow, enough of my rant and anger, because I really am saddened for those who lost out, including many uninsured families. Hell, I'm even saddened for those who are insured, because of their having to battle it out with the insurance companies who never want to pay out exactly what was lost!

M

On 2007-10-24 02:54, T_birdman wrote: Stay behind to save your hard earned investment....HELL YES! I only hope no one else gets hurt and this bullshit comes to an end quickly! Lives can't be replaced, shit can!

Interesting - to me, these seem like directly opposite things. Staying behind puts yourself in danger, and puts the fire/police depts that are trying to evacuate and protect people in danger as well. Just get out and be safe.

Tom - I kinda see what you mean, but as someone in an area that I need to know if I'm going to be evacuated or not - I want as much news coverage as I can get. As soon as scripps ranch was evacuated, we packed our car - if fire hit scripps ranch, we were going to be on the road - last time we evacuated, we could see 40 foot flames in our rearview mirror, about 1/4 mile from where we got on the freeway.

Hope everyone is doing ok, I don't know of any TC's living in affected areas, but have lots of co-workers who are still waiting on news of their house.

My Mom is still evacuated from Wildcat Canyon, by Muth Valley in Lakeside. Not much news from that area on the net, if anyone hears anything, please post here...any links would be helpful...thanks.

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 8:04 AM

You can call this number 858-300-1211. A recorded message will come on, press 4, and you can talk to a volunteer. They'll ask you for her zip code, and can give you the latest information on if her area is open so she can return home. They've been extremely helpful there. I hope the best for her, and everyone else down here!

Zaya

my parents were evacuated for almost three days because of the Witch Fire... the fire burned all around their neighborhood.... it has nothing to do with being a pussy ....and everything to do with obeying the law.

whats the point of being arrested... or at the worst burned or dead.

seems like if you are going to lose your home.... that being arrested too doesnt really help any.

ive seen the size of those flames.... a commmon garden hose will not do one bit of good.... thats assuming you even have water pressure in your house during the fire...you can watch the fire crews with GIANT hoses spraying incredible amounts of water... and it barely makes a dent...

then you are dead.... and you no longer need a house... natural selection at its finest...

T

GIANT hoses spraying incredible amounts of water... and it barely makes a dent...

Thats what I was getting at. They said off hand yesterday on one of the morning shows thats it not a unlawful to stay at your house.

Former fire chief defies order to evacuate home
By Tony Manolatos
STAFF WRITER

October 25, 2007
DAN TREVAN / Union-Tribune
Former San Diego Fire Chief Jeff Bowman, in his Escondido backyard yesterday, said of his decision not to evacuate, “I obviously know what the threat is to my property, and I'm not threatened.”
Every night before he goes to bed, Jeff Bowman steps onto his patio and scans the sky above his 2.5-acre property in Escondido. Before him, stretched out on the lawn, are two garden hoses in case he needs to douse flaming embers.
Bowman, who resigned 18 months ago as San Diego's fire chief, is likely the best-known homeowner to defy evacuation orders and remain in a house threatened by fires.
He and his wife, Denise, were ordered Tuesday to leave their Spanish-style home, which they built about a year ago. So far, they've ignored the warning, which is exactly what fire officials tell people not to do.
The Reverse 911 recording sent to Bowman's home said residents of the unincorporated community of Hidden Meadows should evacuate immediately. Some of the Bowmans' 30 or so neighbors packed up and left. A few called Bowman and asked what he was doing. He said he was staying.
“I don't live in Hidden Meadows. I live in Escondido,” Bowman quipped in an interview yesterday. “If I was a fire chief, I'd be mad at myself (for not leaving) – but I obviously know what the threat is to my property, and I'm not threatened.”
Bowman's home is as close to fireproof as a house can get.
Trees and brush have been cleared within 100 feet of the perimeter. The roof is made of heat-resistant tile. The windows are dual-paned. Stucco shields most of the wood. The inside is protected by sprinklers.
The property includes a 1-acre vineyard, an outdoor fireplace and a patio bar made from Eldorado Stone.
“I've poured my life savings into this,” Bowman said from the vineyard, dressed in jeans and a San Diego Fire Department T-shirt. “I want to protect it. . . . If we left, it would be a robber's paradise.”
While the former chief feels comfortable in his home, he's not yet comfortable with his role as a civilian.
Bowman misses his old job more than ever now that a new round of wildfires has hit the county. At 55, he seems restless spending his days tending his vineyard, fielding calls from the media and playing with his dogs.
Bowman resigned because the city would not give him the additional personnel and equipment he said he needed after the Cedar fire, which killed 15 people and destroyed 2,300 homes in 2003.
Bowman had asked for $100 million to build and staff 22 fire stations, which would have cost $40 million a year to operate. The city responded by building one temporary station in Mission Valley.
Although Bowman agrees additional manpower wouldn't have prevented the current fires, he said the firefighters wouldn't have sat idle.
“They could have helped clear out areas in front of the fire, and you could have staged them in surrounding areas” to extinguish fireballs that travel a mile or more and spark additional blazes, Bowman said. “If they didn't need more firefighters, why are they sending so many here?”
Bowman said he tries not to be hypercritical or to second-guess decision-makers, but his frustration is great.
Bowman said some Fire Department officials have called and asked for advice. He'd like to be more involved, but a former fire chief can't just show up uninvited and start giving directions.
“You hope the people you put in place are doing what needs to be done, so you stay out of it,” Bowman said. “That's what's tough – staying out of it.”
He said he's not criticizing Mayor Jerry Sanders or San Diego's current fire chief, Tracy Jarman, whom he picked as his replacement. But he also said the people in charge fell short.
He said he's seen too many “talking heads patting themselves on the back” at the news briefings he watches from his living-room sofa.
“They've done a good job in some areas, but they could have done more,” Bowman said. “And then I see (Gov. Arnold) Schwarzenegger up there saying everything is hunky-dory. It's not.”
Bowman, who was critical of authorities after the 2003 wildfires, was San Diego's fire chief for four years. He took over in 2002 after resigning as Anaheim's fire chief, a position he held for 15 years.
Bowman said he enjoys his new life, which includes working as a fire department consultant and tending to the Malbec and Cabernet Franc grapes he planted 10 months ago. He even has a bocce ball court.
But he clearly misses the limelight.
“I got a call from the president during the Cedar fire,” he said. “You miss that.”
This week, Bowman tried to drive up a nearby road to check out the nearest fire, which he suspected was about five miles away. But he couldn't get past the sheriff's deputy who was blocking the road, even after he identified himself as a former fire chief.
“Yeah. You and everybody else in the county,” the deputy said.
Jarman said she appreciates what she learned from her former boss. She said she called Bowman this week to make sure she was asking the Federal Emergency Management Agency for everything she needed.
Although Jarman is proud of her firefighters' efforts, she agrees with Bowman – more work needs to be done.
Jarman said she's already spoken with some of the state fire officials who, along with Bowman, developed a long list of recommendations after the Cedar and Paradise fires. The recommendations that weren't implemented will be reconsidered, along with new ones, Jarman said.
“We're going to get together and come up with a plan on where we need to go from here,” she said.
Bowman, meanwhile, doesn't want to be viewed as a chronic complainer. To that end, he plans to form a committee of retired fire experts to assess what went right and what didn't this time.
For now, he plans to keep his eye on the sky. If a fire crew knocks on his door and tells him to leave, Bowman said he will send his wife away. But he'll stay.
“I'll pull some hose,” he said. “Those guys are going to need the help.”

I am extremely happy to announce my Mom got to return to her home this morning. Luckily no fire had ravaged the canyon she lives in...which is really just a miracle. I spoke to her when she got home, she was just choking in tears...she couldn't believe, first of all, that she still had her home and secondly...someone? had come to her place prior to her arrival, swept off all her walkways and cleaned her pool...is that kindness or what!!!

It always amazes me how great and selfless people can be in helping others in a crisis.

My heart goes out to all the victims of these terrible firestorms. I encourage you all to donate however/wherever you can, to provide some support for those who have to live through this tragedy. Contributions are needed now and will be for quite some time. I always do the Red Cross and the ASPCA, but there are lots of options available. I love the clothes drive way to go WooHoo!!!

Great news, Vampiress! Glad you mom is OK; that's a great story.
Fortunately, everyone I know who had to evacuate are back in their homes tonight, too. Hope we all keep helping the people who weren't as lucky.

Pages: 1 31 replies