Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

san diego december chop, saturday the 15th final details!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 124 replies

T

Buzzy TPTB must have seen your pin-up...Once this kind of thing hits the internet it is extremely hard to get the 13yr Asian boys...

If you all can take your eyes off the preceeding post for a couple moments, here's some final details:

Start Time:
The Hot Rod Surf Dudes and Cobain from TikiLand said they will be there in the morning at about 7:30. I'd suggest showing up after 830, just to make sure. Just make sure you are there by noon, because that is when the lot will be closed and you'll have to lug your stuff in from where you park. Please unload your stuff behind Tikiland and then park on Hancock or the Sports Arena lot.

Choppers Location:
Choppers will be in the 8-10 parking spaces that border the Tikiland back wall. There will be some big grass huts there, but those who planned on bringing pop ups, please do so still. We may need those if we are too cramped and for other vending/food areas. We have grass tops to throw on them to make it look all nice.

Directions:
From I-5 going south: Take Interstate 8 / Rosecrans exit off I-5 and go on Rosecrans ramp from right lane. Stay right and turn on the first right with a light, Hancock St., after the Dennys and Jack in the Box, but before the Les Girls Nude Girls sign. Stay on Hancock as it winds around and look for 3760 Hancock. First building is the Boat Store in big letters. Turn into the lot where you see the land rover sign and the chop area will be on the right.

From all areas north of Interstate 8, execept the 5, go south on whatever freeway goes south until you hit I-8. Go west until you see the Rosecrans exit right after you hit the I-5. Merge right to turn on Hancock St.after the Dennys and Jack in the Box, but before the Les Girls Nude Girls sign. Stay on Hancock as it winds around and look for 3760 Hancock. First building is the Boat Store in big letters. Turn into the lot where you see the land rover sign and the chop area will be on the right.

From south of 8: I have no idea...

Entertainment:
Besides the carvers, the bands will start at 1. There will be some old cars, and maybe a real loud dragster.

Logs:
I have logs for those who asked, but I'm asking a ten dollar donation for each log be made to offset the catering costs.

Vending:
If you're selling, please post what you are bringing on the other event thread.

Food:
We have food, but please your own drinks just in case. There is an Am /pm within reasonable walking distance too.

Weather: Forcast says sunny. Bring a jacket because sometimes there's a breeze there, and as the sun sets, it gets cold.

I think that's it.

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-12-13 18:16 ]

T

Alright. I have to skip this one. I picked up a cold earlier this week, and I've got the cough and all, so I think I gotta stay home tomorrow :(
Have fun without me....

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2007 5:46 PM

I like hot rods. They're groooovy.

I like Ed Roth. He was so cool. Did you know he once worked for Knotts Berry Farm?

I like Rat Fink. Ed drew the first one on a fridge. As a kid, it was the first model I ever made, and probably the best.

I like just about anything Big Daddy ever did. His time was never wasted. He was a big guy in every way. I think he made 4 Beatnik Bandits. You couldn't sit in the first one; it was just for show. They still crammed models into it, but the girls had to slump down and flatten their legs against the floor. This later one looks drivable.

I believe the Beatnick Bandit was the 1st model I ever built (then came the Batmobile!)

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2007 7:38 PM

T-Bird, YOU ARE GOD.

On 2007-12-14 18:55, T_birdman wrote:
I believe the Beatnick Bandit was the 1st model I ever built

I bought the Road Agent model and it was missing that little trim piece that hinges the bubble top to the body, so I sent away to Revell for a replacement. Construction was suspended for 6 weeks. It drove me crazy!

http://www.mrgasser.com/roadagent.htm

I think my fave though was the Beatnik Bandit because the decals made it look so much like the real thing (genius on Roth & Revell's part).

cant wait! ready to chop some wood, and spend some cash

Have fun today Kids!
Hope y'all meet both new and old friends,and make some Holiday spending cash!
You guys handle Cali's lower half and Clys,the Toe,and myself will cover the OC area today....
Mission:California Tiki Saturation is in full effect! :)

Chop Shop Pics.

Billy doing damage control.

Me

No Pics of Mieko or Babalu, and a bunch of others, but it was really nice to see all of you.

[ Edited by: tikimanalex 2007-12-15 15:36 ]

[ Edited by: tikimanalex 2007-12-15 15:40 ]

[ Edited by: tikimanalex 2007-12-15 16:21 ]

Good pics, Alex and nice to see you again as well. No pics of Babalu because he's in London. I'm sure your zoom isn't that good, or you'd be a threat national security.

It was a very strange Chop. I didn't actually end up carving. I brought tools and wood and then ended up going to the swap meet with Buzzy and Zaya. I had many lovely conversations, watched the homeless guy emcee and play Hendrix on his Sponge Bob guitar, and took one picture...

Sunset at the House of Buzz

C

Yeah, that was a weird chop. I didn't carve either, we carved enough this year and it just seemed like time to kick back and Ree Lax.

Billy, however, never slowed down for a minute and seemed to be all over that show, everywhere at once.

B'wanna flash da sign - yo, brah, 'T' for TIKI!

Thomas was first one there -

Mieko and her Amazing World of Pendants -

Kate studied her book - "Know your Maori Carving", no kidding.

Rods -

Retro cars and pics -

Billy's Tikiland -

Warmup band -

& Deadbolt

Big Red -

B'Wanna say Laytah!

What's up with the guy standing on the freeway wall?

C

That's not a real person. Billy put a cutout up there for target practice. Works great.

But why'd he make it look like Bamboo Ben????

Cam, that WAS Bamboo Ben, not a cutout. He drove all the way down to party with us, but that old fucker playing really bad crap in front of TikiLand scared him away. If you enlarge the picture, he's up there flipping a shakra with one hand, and a bird with the other.

I think it's our turn to go visit Ben.......and bring lots of Budweiser!!

I've never been so scared in my life!!!

Hey! If you guys ever want to do a chop HB way.......lemme kmow. We've got a decrnt sized parking lot. But don't bring that old dude!!!

Hey! That'll save me a boatload of driving time! I'm good for one up here!

Here are a few more pics

wasn't sure what Dave was going for here

my mini-me working on a mini-moai.....

when he wasn't keeping Lucy the Ferret company!

Sam's pop doin' the chop!

and Alex & his lady working out some sort of arrangement
(none of my business!)
Had a good time, always glad when I can't fabricate some sort of excuse for not making it!

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Dec 16, 2007 10:32 PM

I had a fun time at the chop! It was great seeing everyone, and getting to visit. Here are my pictures from the day...

Nice collection of Buzzy tikis

My favorites...

Zaya

i had a great time at the chop. it was nice seeing people that I meet at the oasis, and meeting some other TC'ers. Thanks to Buzzy for the wood, and thanks mieko and cammo for the help with the pendants. I finished torching, staining and sealing my tiki today, ill post a pic of it tommorow

B

Dang!! Looks like I missed yet another "get down" Chop due to a demanding boss....

Bowana - you lookin down and dangerous big fella.

Great to see the Birdman's kid (aka: Bird boy) busting out the chisels...mucho potential there!

Hey, I say we take the Reverend up on his invite and party down up in HB one of these months soon. We could all take over the top floor of a cheap hotel somewhere close to him and "roll on though the night". :) We'll bring ya a log Ben...Bandaids and plenty-o-beer.

pretty cool event,
I was just bummed that alot of the cars started leaving at 2 pm.
I barely got to see some of them,
and then the 2 hour Delay for Deadbolt.
I guess the drummer got dealyed coming back from TJ.
thats the problem smuggling drugs in your ass across the border, sometimes they want to look for it.
:wink:
Jeff(bigtikidude)

B

On 2007-12-17 06:36, Babalu wrote:

That's what happens when I win a raffle and get a free hoodie. It makes me really happy, and I do the Robot Dance.

Thanks everybody for a great time (even though I didn't carve at this one. Every Robot needs a little down time).

Thanks Buzzy and Cobain for working the deal for us.

On 2007-12-17 06:36, Babalu wrote:
Dang!! Looks like I missed yet another "get down" Chop due to a demanding boss....

Great to see the Birdman's kid (aka: Bird boy) busting out the chisels...mucho potential there!

Hey, I say we take the Reverend up on his invite and party down up in HB one of these months soon. We could all take over the top floor of a cheap hotel somewhere close to him and "roll on though the night". :) We'll bring ya a log Ben...Bandaids and plenty-o-beer.

GREAT idea, Babs. An HB Chop that ends the next day when we drive home. We'll just invade Bamboo Bens parking lot and have a ton of new people checking us out that can't make it to San Diego. I've already kinda talked to Sam about something similar, so let's plan this thing, man!!

I know the drive thing is an issue with a lot of folks, myself included, but once I actually came down and became infected, I try to make it down as often as possible now, barring unforseen excuses. I'm sure some of the folks here in the L.A. area would also become infected (chopping is extremely communicable!) once they experience the camaraderie of the San Diego elite! I don't want to overly push any issue of where a chop might be held, but I do think this is a good idea. There are a lot of talented folks here at TC that I'd like to meet, but don't get a chance to, this might get a good size gathering for a chop, as long as all the regulars are ok with it.

I am one that expressed an interest in learning more about the casting process from both Meiko & Dave, and will be there for that one, whatever it takes to make it easier for Meiko. I've enjoyed every place we've chopped, Babs place was where I started at and it ranked high on my list, Bills place is like the perfect all-around choppers location. Has there ever been a chop at The House of Buzz? But wherever, it wouldn't be a real chop without you all in attendance, so someone shut me up and pick a place, I'll be there! BTW, thanks for the mug Cammo, love it!

These are the pics my wife took while representing Harley Davidson at the event.

Fun chop, gang!

For more pics, visit us at http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

B

What the hell is Skipper playing on there? A Kleenex box and some string?

On 2007-12-17 18:52, Babalu wrote:
What the hell is Skipper playing on there? A Kleenex box and some string?

I don't know, but he bugged the hell out of everyone and drove people away.......other than that, he was really entertaining.

Pages: 1 2 3 124 replies