Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Why Disneyland rules.

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

I'll admit to going to the new Tiki Bar at the Disney Hotel,
but have only been once, and not in a super hurry to go back.
But I will one day.

as for Disneyland, My Mom has been working there for over a year now,
and can sign me in.
But I haven't gone once since then.

Guess I'm waiting for that drizzly November Monday to go.
Disney has lost a lot of its magic for me.
;-/

Jeff(btd)

Like bigdude, Disney's picture in my mind has faded a bit, due to the crap they have been peddling for a long time now concerning the way kids should be, to be good Disney kids. A lot of propaganda put out trying to make kids be like Selena or Miley or some other little princess-type. I think they have a vat somewhere where they grow these Disney kids.
On the other hand, my folks took to me to Disneyland the first year it was open and every year till about '68 when I turned 18 and our family vacations kind of evaporated. I love Disneyland for lots of reasons. Hoping to go in October/November for the first time in about 10 yrs. I like the rainy, grey days too.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-11-14 08:10 ]

MT

Hey Jollical Jeff and Lamenting Lucas,
Last time I checked, this was the Why Disneyland RULES thread! Go take your complaints about how the killer bees that have infested Tarzan's Treehouse just aren't the same as the killer bees that had infested the Swiss Family Treehouse, how the meat skewers at Bengal BBQ will give you mad cow disease that could lay dormant in your bloodstream for years, or how all the Aristocats ended up with feline AIDS over to to the Why Disneyland Sucks thread.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/68225/saturday-night-live-debbie-downer

P.S.

On 2011-06-21 21:16, bigtikidude wrote:
I'll admit to going to the new Tiki Bar at the Disney Hotel,
but have only been once, and not in a super hurry to go back.
But I will one day.

as for Disneyland, My Mom has been working there for over a year now,
and can sign me in.
But I haven't gone once since then.

Guess I'm waiting for that drizzly November Monday to go.
Disney has lost a lot of its magic for me.
;-/

Jeff(btd)

Seriously? That new Trader Sam's bar is awesome!

TM

I too, am puzzled as to why Jeff seems to be saying he doesn't like Trader Sams. I thought it was pretty much unanymous that the place was very well done, and true to tiki style!

PP

awsome photos!! disney rocks!

even have the Jungle cruise poster in the dinning room!!!!

[ Edited by: Pele Paul 2011-06-22 16:10 ]

PP

On 2009-05-04 10:57, inkylouise wrote:

Yummy Pinapple Whip Floats!

lovin' the Hawaiian shirt!! and my wife thought I was the only one who got dressed up to got to D-Land lol

This is one of our favorite Disneyland things. From the old parking lot.

On 2011-06-22 15:23, lucas vigor wrote:
I too, am puzzled as to why Jeff seems to be saying he doesn't like Trader Sams. I thought it was pretty much unanymous that the place was very well done, and true to tiki style!

I didn't say I didn't like Trader Sams,
I just don't think its a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale.
I'm not going to go there by myself,
I need to know if some TC peeps are going.
But as close as I live to Disneyland and the Hotel,
Nobody has called or PMed me to say "lets meet up".
Maybe I'm not as super popular as I thought I was,
ha ha ha, :roll:

and Trader Sam's is heavy on the Trader vibe, and only some Tiki.
which is fine, but not what or how I would design a Tiki Bar.

So Lucas, when are we going?
Jeff(btd)

J

On 2011-10-10 10:15, Unga Bunga wrote:

Why Disneyland STILL RULES!...

But only if you're 6 years old !!!

:D

On 2011-10-10 11:15, JOHN-O wrote:

Sorry John, not good enough. You have to use this.

Grew up in San Diego so spent many a weekend at Disneyland...indeed the "happiest place on earth." I also was fascinated with the attention to detail and mimicking of worldly environments. I totally blame Disneyland for my style of interior design in my home. Every room is currently set or have a plan for a particular theme with a room name [Flamingo Diner, Out Of Africa Master Bath (Safari theme), Tomb of Lady Beatrice FiFi Rosecrans (Egyptian master bedroom), VampTiki Lounge, La La Laundry Room, Foxshire Hunt Club (Equestrian bathroom), The Aloha Lanai (Hawaiian guest room), Bond Bungalow (007 guest house), Bombay Commissioners Office (den), Jumping Dog Brew & Cue (English Pub garage-planned). I love Design Toscano as they make really great decorative reproductions that help with many of these themes. Thank you Disneyland for my insanity.

Next year I am planning on touring around to the different Tiki bars in LA for a week. I am definitely looking forward to visiting the Tangaroa Terrace...looks like attention to detail is also the norm there.

Thanks for the pictures...keep posting them...they are inspiring. :wink:

On 2011-10-10 11:15, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2011-10-10 10:15, Unga Bunga wrote:

Why Disneyland STILL RULES!...

But only if you're 6 years old !!!

They showed this video on the news tonight. (a little late)

A few years after Disneyland opened in Anaheim, CA, many novelty themed motels were built along Harbor Blvd., the main street leading to Disneyland. In order to compete for Disneyland tourist business, the motels were designed and built to get attention to potential lodgers.

Anaheim Vacationland
Roadside Peek
Yesterland

But of all people who were not happy with all these attention getting motels was Walt Disney who was very frustrated with the area surrounding Disneyland. He called it a “second rate Las Vegas" and thought that the motels were tacky and garish. When he was conceptualizing a new theme park in Florida that would become Disney World, one of his desires was to have control of the land surrounding the new theme park so that all these "tacky, garish" motels would not be built so close to the park.

As the years progressed in Anaheim, many of these novelty themed motels such as the Cosmic Age disappeared and were replaced by the corporate hotel chains and their generic monolith archetectured buildings. This may have made Walt Disney happy but for some long time regular visitors of Disneyland, they felt that traveling past all the novelty themed motels along Harbor Blvd on the way to the park was part of the fun of going to Disneyland.

Meanwhile on June 17, 2012 inside the Disneyland Resort in Disney's California Adventure, A new section opens called Carsland which is based on the movie Cars. It is made to resemble Radiator Springs, the fictional Route 66 town from the movie.

Included is the Cozy Cone Motel, a novelty themed motel with attention grabbing archetecture.

The kind which Walt considered tacky and garish.

I guess this is not a reason why Disneyland sucks or rules. It should be listed in a thread called "Irony at Disneyland" but I don't feel like creating a new thread so here it stays. But another good post for the thread, if it did exist, would be the irony of the Filmore character in Carsland.

Disneyland needs to remind parents to watch their children? Oh my! What happened to parenthood today?

Went the weekend after Tiki Oasis 13 and I'm happy to say it still rules. Ran into a few tikiphiles whilst cruising around the park.

TM

I have actually been going quite a bit lately....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=44320&forum=13&13

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-10-14 19:19 ]

TM

If it's good enough for the Ramones, it's good enough for you!

Funny you posted that KB, As Disneyland had a policy of denying Punk Rockers
access to the park in the late 1970s & early 80s & if you made it in, it was common
for security to ask you to leave if enough people complained how you looked.

This was one of the reasons Disneyland gets mentioned in more then a few punk rock songs
like "Blow up Disneyland" by The Eyes & "Stukas Over Disneyland'" by The Dickies
just to name a few.

http://vimeo.com/46852196

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-12-03 02:34 ]

Some punk rockers made it in though "unauthorized" methods.

Check out this podcast by Jerry Roach, former proprietor of the Cuckoos Nest in Costa Mesa, CA, on Jackalope Radio(09-08-13). His guest is Joe Escalante of the Vandals and they tell a story of Jack Grisham and Todd Barnes of TSOL. They try to sneak into Disneyland and are successful. However, they discover one big problem

Jackalope Radio: Jerry Roach Show 09-08-13

Hopefully the links works for everybody. The story is about 20 minutes into the show.
If not, try this one

http://www.nightwatchuniverse.com/Jerry/JRS%209-8-13%20Joe%20E.mp3

or go to
http://www.jackaloperadio.com/
then go to Archives and look for Jerry Roaches show. click on the 09-08-13 show.

If it's good enough for Alice, then it's good enough for you!

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2016-11-11 16:13 ]

On 2016-11-11 16:11, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

Cool picture! Not to split hairs, but that is at Magic Kingdom (Walt Disney World), not Disneyland.

On 2016-11-12 10:03, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Cool picture! Not to split hairs, but that is at Magic Kingdom (Walt Disney World), not Disneyland.

Magic Kingdom is pretty cool too, even if they cut half of that song out of the Enchanted Tiki Room. I want to sing like the birdies sing, damnit!!

On 2016-11-12 10:03, Loki-Tiki wrote:

On 2016-11-11 16:11, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

Oops, that's Cinderella's castle in the background which is at WDW. I better get some split end treating shampoo :D

I'm not sure if this is the Land on the West coast or the World on the East.

On 2017-01-12 13:21, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the Land on the West coast or the World on the East.

West Coast :wink:

Disney California Adventure gets another makeover

Disney Parks Blog: New Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure Park

with new MCM buildings!

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Dec 18, 2017 9:47 PM

Just watched “Disneyland Around the Seasons,” which aired 51 years ago today. Why does Disneyland rule? Because Walt himself dreamed up and formed the place, with help from many incredible artists he brought together, and even though many things have changed in the past 50 years, quite a lot still remains and connects us to their genius.

Not just Disneyland but the area around it rules and Charles Phoenix tell us about one of it's lodging

YouTube: Charles Phoenix Explores Anaheim - Topiary Garden at Stovall's Inn

Charles Phoenix giving a tour of the new retro decor Howard Johnson across the street from Disneyland.

Can life get any better than this!?

YouTube: Charles Phoenix Presents Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2018-06-21 11:22 ]

On 2017-11-07 11:30, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

Disney Parks Blog: New Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure Park

with new MCM buildings!

From the Orange County Register...

"The sloping roof over the guest loading area and the archway into the Incredicoaster are very Mid-Century Modern, the latter reminiscent of the space-age Theme Building at LAX. "

Orange County Register: Pixar Pier preview

P

Disneyland rules over WDW or any other place because of the cast member interaction. The cast members there are locals who generally have love and ownership of their park (I know, there's issues with pay/benefits...). Compare that to WDW where the place is generally staffed with short-term college program kids. I like the college program kids, but they don't have that conversation factor that I get at Disneyland.

I'm a pin trader, which gives me ample opportunities to talk to cast members. Good at WDW, outstanding at DL.

Oh, and PotC at DL the BEST BEST BEST.

On 2017-11-07 11:30, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

with new MCM buildings!

What is looks like in real life

image from MiceAge.com

Pages: 1 2 82 replies