Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The January 5th Chop Chop is comin?

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies

Any objections to the boy coming along to this one? He started his 4x4 Moai but hasn't had the chance to do anything to it since the Hot Rod chop, he had strep throat but is all better now.

B

In!!

Let's see...things I need to bring...

Bill: Mug he forgot...Log he couldn't haul last time.

Buzzy: Wood burner.

Clysdalle: Rabbitaur

What else? Anybody coming to this one that I owe a mug to? Birdman...who else?

Peace - Love

On 2007-12-31 15:13, Babalu wrote:
In!!

Let's see...things I need to bring...

Bill: Mug he forgot...Log he couldn't haul last time.

Buzzy: Wood burner.

Clysdalle: Rabbitaur

What else? Anybody coming to this one that I owe a mug to? Birdman...who else?

Peace - Love

My cake pan, please.

On 2007-12-31 14:48, T_birdman wrote:
Any objections to the boy coming along to this one? He started his 4x4 Moai but hasn't had the chance to do anything to it since the Hot Rod chop, he had strep throat but is all better now.

Bring him. He's not a kid, he's a carver!

I'll be there!! Happy New Year, choppers!

Thanks Bro, you might be right!

Who all wants to carpool up to Daves closing night party? I'm not sure I want to drive my gas-hog up that far, so if I can hitch up with someone, that would be cool.

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-01-01 11:47 ]

Ruh-Roh! forecast says rain likely on Saturday. :( Hopefully it will be delayed, or miss us.

T

On 2008-01-01 17:07, 4WDtiki wrote:
Ruh-Roh! forecast says rain likely on Saturday. :( Hopefully it will be delayed, or miss us.

Should we come up with a back up plan?

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2008 7:51 PM

Back-up plan? Hey, we did the PIFA in the rain. I say we chop, rain or shine.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2008 9:35 PM

Bummer, rain would make things more difficult. Bill - how dry does your patio stay? I don't know how my pop-up would fare in the rain, but I can see about the plain ones my parents have. I'll think of some other ideas for backup plans too....

On 2008-01-01 21:35, mieko wrote:
Bummer, rain would make things more difficult. Bill - how dry does your patio stay? I don't know how my pop-up would fare in the rain, but I can see about the plain ones my parents have. I'll think of some other ideas for backup plans too....

Yeah, man.......if we sweep up and stuff, can we chop under the patio?

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 10:09 AM

A newbie carver contacted me. He lives in Encinitas and seems to have a handle on palm wood/tools, etc. He has a truck. Should I ask him to come on Saturday? His name is John (Rusty) Powell. Does anybody know him?

And here's Otto at the De Young Museum with our carving pendant. He loves the thang, it's like his steppin' out formal wear pendant now! Snappy, huh?

Hey, is it my imagination or is Otto starting to look like a Tiki?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 10:29 AM

He looks like he his Shlitzie the pinhead's brother.

I don't know your guy, Cammo, but I will be bringing a newbie myself.......Captain Diego Silang, to be exact. I found him on a small atoll, just outside of Fiji, attempting to lash two turtles together to carry his case of rum back to the mainland.........He didn't make it back with much rum, but we've got a few stories instead!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 3:20 PM

Just got word back from Rusty (AKA Johnny) and this is the one weekend he'll be busy, moving a la Clydsdalle. He'll make the next one, he sounds really itchy to get going.

Billy da Willies - does that guy have chisels or does he plan to cut & slash with a sabre?

And if he plans to borrow yours - does he know the penalty for misplacing or damaging your chisels????

C

there is no penalty for messin up billy's chisels....I'm convinced after seeing the way I got mine back from him that he keeps them in an old metal tool box in the back of his truck filled with blunt objects and water.

WHOAH THERE, PARDNER.........Those things were sharpened before you got them back and only used at the PIFA......same condition I got them in, but if you want to make a big deal out of it, I'll sharpen them again before I start carving on Saturday.

Anyways, yeah........Dino knows I'll eviscerate him with his own cutlass if he hurts my babies. I'm a little less worried about it now because I got my job back, though. If one gets damaged, I'll just leave it in the ribs of the guy who hurt it.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 4:58 PM

New stuff to play with :-)

That Two Cherries stuff gives me a hard-on. Gotta get a few of those!

I don't think it would be a good idea to chop under the patio only. It's the windy side of the house, and the rain blows in on it.

We can do a rain date the following Saturday if it really rains this week, but for now let's hope it'll be fine.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 9:20 PM

Babs, where'd ya get the Two Cherries chisels? There's a place in town, in the Kearny Mesa area that carries them, but I forget the name.

Online?

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 6:49 AM

Found-um at the best darn hardware store on the planet....McGuckin's Hardware - Boulder, Colorado.

Long Drive - Short Flight

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 7:02 AM

Here's the info I dredged up -

Craftsman Studio

This is a new carving/woodworking store in San Diego, run by Bill Kohr. It’s at 4848 Ronson Court, Suite L, in Kearny Mesa, and it’s website is

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/

He carries Two Cherries products, but not a lot. Ask him to see the box he has full of 'em.

He also carries DVDs on how to sharpen chisels. This guy knows everything about sharpening chisels.

Still looks like rain.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 7:12 AM

Somehow I think Billy is gonna freak & peak over this one -

This is a Two Cherries BRASS MALLET! Are these Two Cherries guys serious or WHAT??!!? Cripes, look at the bag it comes in!

Billy, if you get one you better carve yer name in this with a rhodium laser beam and hide one of those GPS anti-theft car tracking systems in the handle.

Oh, yeah! That is freakin' SWEET, right there!

B

Pile in...I just watched the news...

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 11:58 AM

Two Cherries RULES! This is a sticker you can actually buy, I think it's like $2.98.

Cool sticker, man.......enough to make any rockabilly douchebag want to become a carver.

On the reed boat? What do guys want to do if it seriously dumps? I still want to carve, if anyone down here wants to........just need a dry spot.

How bout Buzzy's livingroom? :P

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 2:23 PM

Nice....How many people you think we can fit into Buzzy's living room?

We can probably get 3 in the kitchen if we move his collection of empty plastic Pepsi bottles outside.

T

On 2008-01-03 14:11, 4WDtiki wrote:
How bout Buzzy's livingroom? :P

That was my first thought. :D

C

If it rains we'll just make it a clay/pendant/mug/sculpt/molds chop chop....under a tree!

T

On 2008-01-03 15:09, Clysdalle wrote:
If it rains we'll just make it a clay/pendant/mug/sculpt/molds chop chop....under a tree!

That's a fabulous idea. We could just stay inside and play with clay all day. Anybody want to offer up their living room?

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 6:09 PM

Look, I'm probably not coming to this chop, (busy busy boy) but here's my 2 cents =

I've always thought it would be cool to simply make some hand-thrown mugs at a chop. Just build 'em up and use regular (clay)tools to get a carved tiki look. For a few bucks each Babalu could fire the lot and y'all could glaze them at the next Choppo. Presto bingo, a one of a kind personal mug.

These don't have to be seriously detailed mugs, something real simple would work fine. I've got some glazes to splatter on, etc.

T

Hot-diggity! That's a sweet idea! What a great contingency plan for a rainy day! I would love to get my son involved in clay and with all the talent you folks have to offer I'm sure he'll completely dig it! (Am I hiding my own personal enthusiasm well enough?) I hope this is something everyone else is game for!

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 9:32 PM

I don't have a ton of room, but I can host. We should be able to have 6-8 people working on stuff in the dining room - either clay or small carvings. No power tools, no big stuff, and I don't have any clay - but if someone can bring some, I'll find a tablecloth that we can work on.

Who can make it and does anyone have clay?

Mieko

I'm out.......sister is sick, no sitter. Have fun guys.

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 6:55 AM

Well you all know me...I'm always in the mood to play with clay

Realistically, my studio would be the best place for us to do this; I'm all set up for us, but unfortunately (like Billy) I've got family members who are sick as well :-( I mean sick - sick, I was sick as a dog myself, and couch bound all last week. So Meiko, if your sure??, I am up for it...clay does get messy you know.

Clay: I don't have enough to go around right now, but I might be able to jump down to Freeform Ceramics at lunch and pick us up some cone 4, white body, low fire clay. This type of clay will handle all those colorful glazes you all crave. I will have to
un-bag it tonight and let it sit out as it is normally very soft. It can be harder to sculpt with than that cone 6 clay we played with at that one Chop at Bill's house.

So, chime in everyone who can do this. I will need to know how much clay to get. Sorry you can't make it Billy...next time brother.

T

I'll definitely be there. What time?

M
mieko posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 10:48 AM

Sounds like fun, I'll pitch some money in for clay if Babs can get some.

I'd say 9:30am would be a good time for me. I'll probably bring in the folding table so we can hose it down later. Or we might work in the garage if it's not too cold out there.

Well I'm still in, but what's the story on the where it's at, Babs place?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 11:23 AM

Actually, I might make it. Babs - I'm in for clay, I'd love to whip up something fast and goofy.

Everybody should jump in on this! This gonna be FUN!

The rain thing is weird. Weather.com has changed the local forecast drastically 3 times in 3 days. They're predicting anything from a hurricane to light hail to drippy all day mist, but it sure looks nice out there right now!

B

I'm in. I was going to give Clysdalle a little mold making instruction on a project he's got going, so perhaps that would be of interest to some.

Mieko, are you going to take some cash from the Chop fund to reimburse Babs for clay?

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 11:59 AM

Hi guys, I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm sick too. :( I hope to see you at the next one!

I'll cover any costs for the boy & I, no worries there.

B

Just got back from Freeform...Guess what...they are closed until 1/7....does that suck or what? These dudes have beter than banker hours. They are only open M-F 8:30 am til 4:00 pm - closed any and all holidays, real holidays or holidays they make up.

We can still do a clay thing...but I/m not sure that tomorrow will work...Don't know where to buy the clay we need.

Bummed!!

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies