Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The January 5th Chop Chop is comin?

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies

Hey Babs, PM me a list of what you are looking for and I'll see if I can find it up here, got a few sources for art supplies. Give me quantities too.

B

True Birdman, I had not thought of that...If your up that way anyway...

"Laguna Clay" is a good place to check. I'm sure there are other ceramics supply places as well.

I don't think people will be going too big on their stuff?

I think 100 lbs (2 boxes = 2 - 25' bags in each box) of a white bodied - Cone 04 clay would be fine. Let them know that we are sculpting with it....they might have something with a little gritter feel - I don't know?

Good thinking T-Bird

Ok, just checked with Blicks here and they have 2-50lb boxes of white cone 03-05 holding for me, is that ok? Price is $20.99 ea, is that good?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 1:12 PM

There's a Blicks downtown San Diego, I think they carry the same stuff; I was going to suggest that.

Babs, you should just come up with a round number for clay/firing per mug, I don't think we want to take $$ out of the Chop Fund cause not everybody will be doing this, and if some people want to make several they can plop down cash for each.

What say ya?

T

Just got hold of the tech at laguna clay and they have 100 lbs of EM347 whiteware w/ grog for under $30.00, better?

T

Okay. So if I'm understanding everything properly, we're doing Clay Day at Mieko's at 9:30 am. T Bird's bringing the clay, and we're all bringing the dough to reimburse him and Babalu (for the firing.)

We've got:

T Bird & Son
Cammo
Babalu
Mieko
Bowana
Clysdalle
Kate

Zaya and Billy can't make it. :( What about Bill and Buzzy?

Did I get it right?

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 2:07 PM

Hey Birdman,

I would prefer the Laguna clay with the grog in it, that is unless it's way out of your way to get it? In that case, we can play with the other stuff.

I have enough clay here at my cosa for me, but I will be happy to buy up whatever you all don't want from Birdman tomorrow and this 100 lbs he's picking up.

Zaya - Sorry you feel bad...rest up...go get that "Planet Earth" video disk set and couch up in front of the tube. Tell Buzzy to be a player and post up too. Tell him to check in here as well.

Wheeler...Sling some mud? Let's build something that puts the funk into funky!

M
mieko posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 2:19 PM

Sounds great. We'll also be doing spam musubi making, since my parents won't be able to make it down.

I think throwing some money at Babs/Tbird for the clay is a good idea, we can take a little vote on Saturday to be sure, but I also don't mind giving them some of my own cash for clay and firing.

As far as the "club" money goes, there were a few reservations about getting a sharpener that we can talk about, but I could see some money being very useful once next Oasis comes around.

I'll PM everyone on the list with my address in case you don't have it. Let me know if you need more detailed directions.

T

Hell, Laguna is 8 minutes away, no worries there! So whats the verdict, Babs place or Meikos, I have directions to Babs, but not Miekos, and the only other thing I'm worried about is if there's a TV close by to keep tabs on the Football game? WILD CARD WEEKEND STARTS TOMORR0W!

I won't be playing with you kids tomorrow.

If you remember Bob from the Hot Rod chop, he emailed me about attending. Can I give him directions to whoever's house?

T

Folks, just got a call, my daughter just spun out on the freeway, don't know anything else, may be out as well, sorry.

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 2:51 PM

Meiko's house...we are set to go on stage at Mieko's house...9:30 am tomorrow.

Birdman - if your picking that clay up today, you may need to pull the blocks out of the bags and let the clay stiffen up a little. Some times it comes real soft...soft is ideal for people that like to throw on a wheel...a little stiffer feel is best for sculpting.

Got a hair dryer Meiko?

We'll miss ya Bill...baton down the hatches.

PS: Whoa....check in when you can Birdman...hope she's alright!

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-01-04 14:54 ]

T

On 2008-01-04 14:46, T_birdman wrote:
Folks, just got a call, my daughter just spun out on the freeway, don't know anything else, may be out as well, sorry.

I hope she's okay. Keep us posted please.

Not to sound completely mercenary, but do we need another clay source?

T

Just got info on crash, she's ok, (WHEW!) cars a mess, spun 3 times due to rain, I'm going to Laguna clay now, no worries folks! Don't worry about my driving, I'm a Proffessional!

T

On 2008-01-04 15:30, T_birdman wrote:
Just got info on crash, she's ok, (WHEW!) cars a mess, spun 3 times due to rain, I'm going to Laguna clay now, no worries folks! Don't worry about my driving, I'm a Proffessional!

I was just about to run out and pick up 100 pounds of clay at my local ceramics store.

That's good news. Glad she's okay, T Bird.

T

Man, I just don't think the Karma is working for me today, I got a puff of smoke that came out of my steering column on the way over to pick up the clay, and my headlights & wipers were gone! I'm sorry, looks like I'm gonna be spending the weekend getting wet working on an electrical problem! Kate, you have just been handed the baton! Damned weather! Birdman out.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 4:39 PM

I dub this the "Mission Impossible" Chop!

Where's Barbara Bain and Martin Landau?

Oops - here she is - what ya drinkin', Barb?

And having 100lbs of clay sitting around sounds like fun.

T

No can do. I'm at home now, and the ceramics store was by my work. Can't get there before they close.

Just called every art supply store near my house, and no one carries clay. Called Blick's in San Diego. All they have in stock is cone 3 and cone 5-10 clay.

What now?

M
mieko posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 5:00 PM

I do hook knife lessons and show people how to cast my resins for me? I'd say we can still get together, but then again with the weather, I wouldn't be surprised if people decide not to get on the road.

Let's keep in touch here though, so if you decide not to come, please un-RSVP so I don't worry about you all day. :)

Mieko

T

Well, Blicks here in Pasadena still has the 3-5 holding for me, I can pick it up with my wifes car and someone going down can get it from my place on the way down. Does that work for anyone? Or is there no one from this area close enough? I'm real sorry for any hassle my circumstances have caused.

T

I'm still up for masubi lessons and carving small.

C

I'm still in...and I'm bringing my clay stuff down. I'll also bring my new sculpture that I'm showing at the closing reception up in Costa Mesa late Saturday night...

here is a sneak peak...he's about 14" tall..."Island Hunter"

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 9:29 PM

Very Cool Sculpt Dave!! Me likie long time!

Okay, plan B...I have about 25 lbs of clay which (if Dave is bringing his own clay) should be enough to go around if everyone is going to do...say, mug size type of things.

So, we are a go for the first "Mission Impossible Mud Slinging Chop"

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-01-04 21:31 ]

kinda late on this whole thread, but i dont think i can make it either :(

im all hunkerd down for the storm, and got some graphic design work i need to catch up on. hope everyone has fun though!

T

Okay. I'm going to start loading up the car. If I'm not there by 10 am, would someone please send an ark for me.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jan 5, 2008 7:22 AM

Cinnamon just want to know when she should use the high-frequency broadcaster, before or after the foeign attache opens the safe?

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Jan 5, 2008 9:43 AM

Little late....I'm on my way now...

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jan 5, 2008 12:34 PM

Rollin just got some oil for his secret sports car. Everything is GO.

Unfortunately, Cam has to get a lot of things done today, so he's kind of STOP!

T

Just make sure you post some pics today, and in the event you or any of your team members are caught in the rain or have their day killed off before it begins, the state department will disavow any knowledge of their existance. Good luck Mr. Phelps.

T

Oh, and don't play too messy!

So did nobody take any pics???? I wanna see the STUFF!!!

T

Well, it was a small gathering, but at the end of the day, we all looked around at each other and realized that we actually learned things this month.

I achieved one of my dreams which was to learn to make the Spam masubi. Mieko even sent me home with my own masubi box, so I can crank them out at my place now.

I also made some shot glasses and learned how to write using Rongo Rongo.

The guys made a silicon mold for one of Clysdalle's pieces. At the end of the day, the mold was ready and we did some resin casting.

Babalu made an obscene mask. Then somehow it ended up turning into a bird. That seems to keep happening with his stuff. Birds and bunnies.

Bowana made a very cool tiki planter, and Mieko carved small. Cammo did a drive by.

Got to chat with Bob who we first met at the PIFA show. He made some really neat little shot glasses also.

We had a quiet, mellow day. Just a bunch of people hanging out, making stuff and having pleasant and silly conversation.

This is by far one of the most enjoyable Chops we've had in a very long time.

(I didn't take any pictures 'cause I was all covered in teriyaki sauce and clay most of the day. But I know Babalu and Meiko got some.)

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 9:30 AM

Kate's right, that Chop was allot of fun. Here are some pictures of yesterdays rainy Chop...

Bowana - Mold making

Meiko takes over

We also slung some mud...

Bowana shows off his latest planter...wheat grass baby!

Clysdalle sculpting shift knob out of Sculpty clay...you can fire this stuff around a metal armature in your oven.

Meiko - the master of minurature.

I call this one: Go "F" Your Self, or maybe "Love thine Self", or maybe "Dick for Brains, or maybe "Alone"...not sure?

Spoils of the day...

Well, I'm pissed I missed! Are we still talking about 2 chops this month?

I'd be up for that, since it was me that suggested it! :P I'd even host. :wink:

Mieko, did you manage to get Bob signed up on TC?

T

Did I mention what a great suggestion it was bro? :D

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 9:42 PM

Thanks Mieko for having the "Not" Chop at your place. Maybe we could call the event a "Clay- Squish" instead.

Thanks Babalu for bringing your clay and stuff. Let me know when you fire the kiln and I'll come by and do some glazing with ya!

Kate and Clysdalle, thanks for the laughs! Post a picture of Frankie, Dave. There's pictures of the mold-making and resin casting, but no shot of the final result.

Chopper Bob, nice to meet you. Hope you were able to get signed on to TC!

Yup, I'm pissed I missed as well. Things are sorta tight for me the first few weeks of January as I'm back working for our beautiful state, and Feb 2nd is my 36th. What say we have another chop on the last Saturday of the month?

C

What a great time...once of the best..if not the best! Thanks to everyone for everything. Each person seem to bring a little something special, and with a little spam it was perfect!

Here is a pic of the finished cast....I have resin coming this week so I can start to get a him out there.

I also finished up my toothy tiki clay sculpted tonight...ready for me to make ANOTHER mold! I need to get a key knife. I redid the teeth so it was less skully...now come on Kate...this is kind of leaning towards the "c" word right? I mean the word Cute for those scoring at home.

B

Cool, Dave! And remember you can make a key knife from an X-Acto blade if you can't find one. Heat it up with a torch and bend a "C" shape into it. Easy!

FUN!!! What it take to get invited to one of these shindigs?

On 2008-01-07 13:57, Billy the Crud wrote:
What say we have another chop on the last Saturday of the month?

I'd be up for that, weather permitting. It's the only weekend with no playoff games. :wink:

B

Sorry guys...will be on the road again.

Screw it, man.....let's just plan the next chop. I may be having a party on the 2nd for my birthday. I'll keep ya'all posted.

B

On 2008-01-07 22:34, whoseyrdaddy wrote:
FUN!!! What it take to get invited to one of these shindigs?

Hey WYD, usually we get together once a month to carve (unless it's raining). Keep an eye on the Chop thread for when the next one will be. Plenty of good folks to help you out if you need it. If not, just come and do your thing!

TikimanAlex- check your PMs!

The Artist Formally Known As Tikidav

[ Edited by: Bowana 2008-01-13 21:20 ]

M

I'm pretty sure the 26th works for me :)

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies