Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Show off your Rattan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies

Often when there is a question or posting about rattan it seems there are many helpful answers from TC members with great rattan sets.
It would be great to see the pix in a thread!

Please post your vintage rattan pix and stories, anything colonial, machine age, deco, Frankl, 1970's, to reproductions.

On loan from the "Tiki Trav Not So Fine Furniture Gallery!"

I

Purchased this recently. Still looking for a mate. I learned from a book that Tiki Skip recommended that rattan is a climbing palm and it's outer covering is natural silicone. Doesn't need painting or treatment.

A
Al-ii posted on Thu, Dec 27, 2007 2:11 PM

Al,

Was that bottle of Beam sitting under your Christmas in the photo above a bribe for Santa?

I found this rattan set in Quakertown PA with a hideaous "country" upholstery, I invested in some quality barkcloth from Hawaii and commissioned the skills of Velveteen Lounge to work her magic. The next week I found the big high back chair at a yard sale for $10 and had a round cushion made for it to match the rest.

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:38 ]

Here's my couple of pieces. Man! those bright lights for pic taking sure do kill the mood. Two Calif-Asia lounge chairs and a fish trap I think might be PNG but I could be wrong on that. Thanks

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-01-11 12:56 ]

Blackfish,
WOW!!!!!!
Great rattan! Nice sets, accessories, volume....

NICE! :drink:

Uncle trav,
Swank!

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-01-11 14:49 ]

Hey, Blackfish! Do you need a roommate?

Awesome stuff!

I wanted to slip in the difference between Bamboo and Rattan. Most of the "general public" don't know. Always calling Rattan, Bamboo. ( drives me nuts :))

This is a Bamboo couch. Big diameters. Usually 4" and bigger. Hollow interior with pronounced nodes ( knots). From the Grass family. Does not bend when dry.

Rattan usually is 1.5" or smaller. Solid. A vine from the wood family. Bends easy when wet and a little harder when dry.

MAhalo for letting me vent. On with the Rattan show!

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor!
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

edited for that darn #6 in the pic!!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-01-11 18:05 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-01-11 18:12 ]

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:41 ]

Blackfish, it's all wonderful but that fan-arm living room set is so beautiful it made me want to cry.

G

On 2008-01-10 22:04, BlackFish wrote:
Living Room.
A beautiful 1938 Fan Arm set.
Sometimes called Clam Shell.

Couldn't you just see Kate reclining on your couch? Here she is doing a nice impersonation of your Clam Shell set.

And I agree with Peg. That set is spectacular. So you live on the Emerald Coast huh? Whereabouts? And when will cocktails be ready? :)

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2008-01-20 14:47 ]

ooooh...I am jealous jealous jealous. :D

Al & Blackfish, those are some swank pads ya got there. I'm not worthy...I'm not worthy!!!

I admired this set at a friend's house, and after seeing our tiki bar, they decided we would be a better home for it. They had it for many years and had some pretty hideous covers made for it circa 1980's. We had new cushions and covers made for it.

TT

Well done! It's "rescue rattan"

Interior Design 101, Always Sofa never Couch. A Couch is a entirely different type of seating appliance altogether. Here is an example of a Couch: then a Sofa and of course the types above: Like Ben thanks for letting me vint, on with the show.

P.S. I'm looking for a vintage set if anyone knows the where about? I will be going out to Palm Springs to have a look but if anyone is selling? or knows the where about of a nice Fan Set or other in Ca. please contact me. Thanks :)

J

Hey Hip! You may want to check out this craigslist listing

J

Weird delayed double post!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2008-01-25 13:25 ]

N

On 2008-01-24 10:36, Tonga Trader wrote:
I admired this set at a friend's house, and after seeing our tiki bar, they decided we would be a better home for it. They had it for many years and had some pretty hideous covers made for it circa 1980's. We had new cushions and covers made for it.

Are they marked Ficks Reed?

N.

On 2008-01-25 13:17, Naneki wrote:
Are they marked Ficks Reed?

No, but thanks for making me look.

We didn't even know, just liked the set. Anyway, thanks for creating a monster, we're about to bid on a matching side table on eBay!

TT

hey TONGA ,i found these in my storage unit today

On 2008-01-25 12:30, JenTiki wrote:
Hey Hip! You may want to check out this craigslist

Thanks Jen!!!!

8T

Got this 6 band set in Oct. 2007 Just $200 bucks! It took me 2 trips in my van to get it all home. The dealer told us that he bought it from the estate of a former military couple who were posted in Japan after WWII.
They had it manufactured there and when they came back stateside, brought it back with them. Still has the original cushions with interior springs. It had been recovered with this awful stuff.

Manufacturers Tag

We figured that since it was so reasonably priced, after we bought it we could spend a bit more and get it recovered. So we found a good fabric sale and bought 18 yards of a brown chenille. We got help from My Mom to measure correctly and my Mother in Law did all the recovering. 13 cushions, 3 different sizes and all with 36" zippers.
We are SO pleased with it now! :D

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2008-03-22 17:49 ]

Nice pad, 8FT! Great heritage on the rattan. Shows what a little toning down of white walls can do, too. Can you show a close up of that ceramic sitting couple, they look fine.
And when do we get to show off our Big Bamboo?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-03-22 18:49 ]

Beauty score 8ft! Love the lamp and shade.
Aloha,
:tiki:

A
ADB posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 3:36 PM

I am pretty new here, not alot of Tiki culture in NH, but I sure do love it.
Big Eames/Atomic fan.
I like rattan alot so I thought I would share my NH Craigs list score.
The table top is so very cool with a sort of "space scape" painting on it.
I searched along time for so rattan furniture for my Tiki Bar and was thrilled to find this set in excellent condition. I have not seen another like it.
Its a little blurry as the light is low but the flash is to much.
Sure are alot of great images on this thread.
If people are ever looking for Tiki albums let me know, my brother in laws buisness is vintage vinyl, hard to describe the amount of records he has.
Les Baxter albums look excellent framed and hung.
Best Regards

Great score and nice set 8ft.Not to hip on the velvet though.
I would have gone bark cloth of some type,there are so many
colors, and prints now a days without going flowers or hawaiian
print.Still a great looking set 8ft- really looks nice.
Trader Bill

Heres two six band Frankl design club chairs with original bark cloth cushions
and box springs.Sure wish I could find more of this cool bark cloth .
Mahalo,
Trader Bill

Welcome to Tiki Central ADB!

I don't know if you can see clearly in this old picture or not, but I have the same set of furniture (the couch, the chair, and the more reclined chair, no table unfortunately)

Totally different cushions, but all the rattan is the same!

This particular style must have sold well in New Hampshire!

A
ADB posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 5:02 AM

Thats realy neat. Nice set fellow NH tiki lover :)
I have looked mine all over for a manufacturer and found nothing. I found a staple on one chair with a little piece of cardboard tag stuck under it but nothing to ID it.
I would love to know how old the set is.

8T

I thought I would add a link to another thread which shows some photos of a rattan store matchbook we have. It is circa 1950's from Indianapolis.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6678&forum=5&start=last&

Also, here are a few of our tables. Mostly Tropitan.

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2008-05-10 17:50 ]

8T

On 2008-03-22 18:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice pad, 8FT! Great heritage on the rattan. Shows what a little toning down of white walls can do, too. Can you show a close up of that ceramic sitting couple, they look fine.

Here you go Sven.

A
ADB posted on Mon, May 12, 2008 9:16 AM

those tables are outstanding !!

Not much compared to some of the astonishing pics of rattan posted, but nonetheless...

Picked up this rattan swivel rocker for next to nothing. This is pretty comfortable and looks good with my bar!

PTD

A
ADB posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 2:23 PM

Thats a fine looking chair

my desk,cleaned off to sell it.

TD

TD

TD

TD

TD

cleaning house,all this rattan is heading for my booth at the vintage mall.

We found this set on Craigslist. The cushions were pretty hideous so we had new ones made and I removed remnants of an unfortunate paint job on the rattan and refinished it.

wow, did you sew those tikis on the fabric, or did you find the fabric with them on it? we desprately need to recover ours.....looks great

Thanks, hala bullhiki. We had the seat cushions professionally made because they needed new foam and my sewing skills aren't that great, but I did make the throw pillows. I used ultrasuede to make the tiki "appliques" so they wouldn't fray and then sewed them onto the fabric.

Here's a better shot of the tangaroa pillow

The white one on the other side of the sofa is the "albino tiki" ku after whom our home bar is named. Unfortunately, he isn't very photogenic.

We also had the cushions made with reversible solid sides, so that we can change up the look of the sofa from time to time, as such:

Even though they photograph brown, the solids are actually quite black. Here's a better look:

[ Edited by: Numatiki 2008-06-27 13:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies