Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Show off your Rattan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies

Thanks Bongo....where in Indiana are you from. I graduated from Speedway High School. My mom and sis still live in Speedway and my brother lives on a lake in Martinsville where they all have Tiki Bars on their docks.

Hey Kraig Nice score on the shelf. You may want to attach it to the wall with some screws and some type of washer as those can get a little wobbly when you start to fill it up. Great space for a bar you have there. The dark paneling will lend it's self well to some low mood lighting. Enjoy.

I just found this 3 section couch with cofee and end tables last week in Easton, PA. The set is by Beverly Hills Rattan and also includes a full dining room set (table and 6 chairs). I had already gotten the rocker about a month ago.

T

On 2009-04-12 13:15, rugbymatt wrote:
I just found this 3 section couch with cofee and end tables last week in Easton, PA. The set is by Beverly Hills Rattan and also includes a full dining room set (table and 6 chairs). I had already gotten the rocker about a month ago.

VERY NICE upgrades there Rugbymatt also like those two lamps you have! Is your tiki room a basement area? Are you putting the dining room set into your room? Hope you got them for a good $$! Thortiki

8T

What's that coming in through my front door??

FINALLY, Craigslist gives up a vintage rattan bar in Kansas City!!!!!!!

Of course my cats had to inspect it right away

Wish it still had the stools with it. ;(

Has a great little pull out shelf to hold bottles and more.

Check out those hairpin legs!

This bar is fantastic and is so well made that you can sense it was created by real craftsmen and not just a shop cranking out cookie cutter cheapos.
ROJAS HOME ARTS furniture Cavite City, Philippines
I didn't find any previous references to this manufacturer here on TC but did find a site honoring the maker whose family provides the history of the company. http://www.freewebs.com/bernardorojas/excerptsfromhisthesis.htm

Furniture Business
Sometime in the mid 50s, Bernardo Rojas and Virginia Salcedo put up a furniture business named ROJAS HOME ARTS( main office and show room located at San Antonio,Cavite City near Sangley Point with another show room in Mabalacat, Pampanga). It sold rattan furniture to a wide variety of customers,most prominent of which were the officers of the United States Armed Forces stationed in Sangley point in Cavite City. This was a thriving business until 1962 when it closed shop due to their separation.

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2009-04-17 22:17 ]

8ft,

That bar is absolutely beautiful. Awesome score.

DC

Great score 8ft! Nice mix of tiki and mod there with the rattan front and hairpin legs, never seen that before. Looks like nice solid mahogany, at least where the nameplate is attached.
Use it well!
Aloha,
:tiki:

He shoots! He scores! Veerry nice!

Nice clean little bar 8ft , great score .

The latest additions...
Pair of 6 band Frankl chairs and a 2 tier corner table. Chair is marked Kane Kraft, Phillipines
They're in nice vintage condition. Chairs just need a scrub and oil and the table tops could use sanding and varnish.

Mai Tai anyone?
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2009-04-21 16:00 ]

L

On 2009-04-21 16:00, Tiki Royale wrote:
The latest additions...
Pair of 6 band Frankl chairs and a 2 tier corner table. Chair is marked Kane Kraft, Phillipines
They're in nice vintage condition. Chairs just need a scrub and oil and the table tops could use sanding and varnish.

Mai Tai anyone?
Aloha,

Did you just get these off Craigslist? I posted the ad over in the Marketplace because I thought it was such a great deal.

I am pretty sure these are them and I am so happy a TCer got em! They look fabulous and if I only had the room I would of loved to own em. They look great in that little nook.

On 2009-04-21 16:00, Tiki Royale wrote:
The latest additions...

Mai Tai anyone?
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2009-04-21 16:00 ]

What kid of plants are those outside the window....they look familiar...:)

KK

Yep Leleliz,
Thems is the ones... Love the Craigslist! I can't wait to clean them up a bit and get some covers on them, but for now the white covers aren't bad and the cushions are in perfect shape. Very comfy.

KK, what you're seeing through the window is the top of a Pittosporum tree. Plant on the table is Anthurium.
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2009-04-21 21:56 ]

Tiki Royale- My hats off to you .Thats dedication -if you drove all the way to
Santa Cruz to pick these up.Good looking set.

Thanks Bill,
Fortunately, Santa Cruz is only an hour away and it was a beautiful day for a drive along the coast. Only problem was that I didn't have room for my board.
You have some amazing pieces yourself. Hopefully I'll be in the market for a matching couch sometime down the road.
Aloha,

Picked up this little table on Father's Day. $39.00 -35%, couldn't pass it up.

Big Kahuna I have tha same table!
Ok now for my score of the day I just got an entire livingroom set for free!!! thank you freecycle Seattle

three piece sofa, two chairs, foot stool coffee table and two end tables. six band with caining seats and backs. no cushions but I dont care I can make cushions easy! it was stinkin FREE!

L

THAT is the best rattan score ever! Awesome!

WOW!

Wild arms on that set Dawn.Those are not Frankl pretzel arms.
I have seen alot of vintage rattan in my day but nothing like this.
Great score .Make sure you find some cool vintage bark cloth worthy
of that set.Congrats on your score!

T

Picked up this awesome dining set in Vegas over the weekend. No markings on it that we can find so far. We love it in our 'still in progress' dining room. Has anyone seen one of these sets before? Any idea on the maker? It came with two leaves for the table. Right now we only have one of them in.

BK

I saw that set. It really blew me away, but no chance of getting it back to Boston! Glad someone here grabbed it!

T

It was a good thing we had a rental minivan with us, or we would have never been able to jump on it. It was just one of those crazy things that once we saw it, we knew we couldn't walk away from it. The lady that helped us gave us a nice discount as well, so that made the deal all the sweeter.

i found this in the trash today...i put it on my skateboard and pushed it about 4 blocks it's date 1970 on the bottom boards with a JC Penney's logo need a good cleaning and a little love and care should make a great display case its about 7 fy tall and 4 feet wide.. wonder how much it was back in the day?

CJ strikes again.

its becasue i'm sick!!!!!!...Trash is always King

Wow, there's a lot of beautiful rattan in this thread... thanks to everyone for taking a moment to share it!

TikiPops, those chairs (p. 5) are amazing! I've never seen anything like that before. Great score.

Pyro, not only is your set (p. 5) lovely, you're so lucky to have the family backstory. Very cool.

tikipaka, thank god you were the one who found that fabric (p. 7), and put it to such perfect use. I'm sure that more than a few people turned their nose up at it, and it warms my heart to see it in a good, appreciative home. Gorgeous.

I realized while looking through this thread that I don't think I've ever shared my rattan here on TC. I just took a quick, crappy picture that isn't exactly a great showcase, but here goes:

It's a great, big curved sectional! I've never seen another one. It's just the standard 3-band 3/4 pretzel, but I honestly like that design best, and its ubiquity means it's been easy to find complementary pieces (including an end table I got from Martiki). The set that got me started included the sofa, a matching chair, another matching reclined chair, and an ottoman. I bought it when I lived down in L.A., and Utopian Dreem & Tiki Bird helped me get it to my apartment (didn't exactly fit in the Miata). My L.A. apartment was far, far too teeny for this set, but I knew I'd need it someday, and someday is here! I love it.

(We're still getting settled -- don't worry, those white walls will be meeting their doom. DOOOM!)

Nice stuff!
Here is some of the rattan we have.

S

A dear friend of ours gave us this fabulous chair designed by Franco Albini as a wedding gift.

I never heard of Albini before, but he seems to be a quite famous Italian designer:
http://www.artnet.com/artwork/425172814/424897081/franco-albini-franco-albini-chair.html

That chair's beautiful. Howza bout a peek at what's in that display case?

These are the bar stools and recliner that I picked up off of craigs list from 2 different sellers, $20 for the stools and another $20 for the recliner. BTW the recliner is a genuine Barcalounger...Also a shot of the wicker table that I dug out of a dumpster....And getting off topic, I made the leg lamp from an antique wooden prostetic leg

On 2010-01-17 14:45, Big Kahuna wrote:
That chair's beautiful. Howza bout a peek at what's in that display case?

There you go:

lilyscarlet.com

[ Edited by: snackbar 2010-01-18 11:50 ]

Nice! Love the wahine in the upper left.

Aloha!
I just started tiki-fying my interior, so little by little it's adding up.
The dining table with the chairs and the little lounge chair I got from my parents, they bought it around 30 years ago.
Always loved it and I'm still so happy to have it!
The hanging chair I bought a few weeks ago at a second hand store for practical nothing / it serves as my crochet chair.
I'm curious what you think about it so-far... Hope you like it.
Guess it's made from manou instead of rattan though...

Love this forum, it's tikitastic!
Greetings from the Netherlands!

[ Edited by: Tiki-Vivi 2010-01-19 01:55 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-Vivi 2010-01-19 02:14 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-Vivi 2010-01-19 02:53 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-Vivi 2010-01-19 09:12 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-Vivi 2010-01-19 09:14 ]

Here's my new living room set that I found on Craigslist. It's a 3 band 3/4 pretzel sofa, with matching single band 3/4 pretzel side tables, and a kidney shaped coffee table. They had it listed as bamboo/surf furniture, so obviously nobody was biting on it. Sorry for the small pics. I broke my camera the other day, so these are off of my phone.

the set with one of my many peacock chairs (my huge one is on the other side of the room)

I love the matching 3/4 pretzel side tables

Here's a picture of a shelf that I've been working on. I found it out back of a secondhand store in really bad condition. I got some glass shelves cut, sanded it, stained it, and clear-coated it. I don't really like the cane (it was caned on every joint before) so I think I'm going to leave it as is, with only the bottom joint covered where the rattan comes together.

And last but not least, here's the view of my bar from the couch.

L

On 2010-01-27 17:58, kahalakruzer wrote:

This is the set I would ideally love to find for myself .
Beautiful shape its in too.

Nice set Kahala, LOVE the cushions! Are they original?
Let's see some more pics of the bar area too.
Aloha,

leleliz, I've been looking for a set like this for some time too. I got lucky this time. I just happened to find this set for a very reasonable price, get my tax return, and convince my roommate to let me take his enormous sectional and table out of our living room. I can't stress enough to look up bamboo furniture on craiglist, as well as rattan obviously, because the uneducated (nontikiphiles) can't seem to tell the difference, which also seems to drop the price! I just need one more matching chair, and my living room set should be complete.

On 2010-01-27 18:17, Tiki Royale wrote:
Nice set Kahala, LOVE the cushions! Are they original?
Let's see some more pics of the bar area too.
Aloha,

I believe the interior part of the cushions are correct, but the barkcloth is probably a newer addition. The cushions weigh a ton because they are sprung, as opposed to being just a nice thick foam. I too love the top of the cushions (all in great shape by the way, minus a little needed cleaning), but the sides are covered with a lavender colored upholstery fabric. I don't know what it's made of, but it's definitely not barkcloth. And for full disclosure, they're pretty damn uncomfortable, but I still love them!

If you want to see my bar in all it's glory, it has already got it's own thread over in Creating Tiki. Just search Apartment Bar...you'll find it.

Dude, nice score. I keep searching CL for a couch like that, but there doesn't seem to be anything here in "colonial furniture central" New England. I'll keep looking.

If you are in Cali I have this three band couch and two matching chairs available.
See my rattan thread with over 25 pieces of rattan for sale .

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-01-29 14:14 ]

J

I already have another topic with my house in it, but I was so impressed by veryone else's rattan collections that I just had to post mine here as well
Living Room

Dinig Room

I found a reclining chair up in Van Nuys that matched my set exactly. It needs some work, and it cost a good deal more than it should have, but it matches perfectly.

And here are some pillows that my girlfriend made out of some spare barkcloth.

Not my rattan , however thought I would post this bar that I passed on two weekends ago.
After careful consideration I did not buy this bar because I am in the middle of restoring
one right now and six other pieces of rattan .Very cool bar, however gigantic size and
needs to be in a very large room , which I do not have .After really giving the bar a
good look over I factored it would take at least a good 45 hours worth of time by myself
plus materials to bring this bar back to it's former glory .8 feet wide .
It did sell a few days ago, I hope it gets re-done the right way , and goes to a
good tiki home.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-02-09 18:11 ]

T

That is a very nice bar.
How much?

Tiki ship I believe its sold for $500.00 w/ bar stools .This bar was substantial and
weighed several hundred pounds .Would require at least four to five people to lift
it and at least three to four piano dollies to move it , with an electric lift gate
flat bed truck for sure. I figured that out within five minutes of looking at the
bar .The pictures don't really show how much work is needed to make this bar right.
Probably one of the biggest rattan bars I have come across .The owner told me there
were four bars made identical over 25 years ago and they were made by the same man
and they were to go to Las Vegas.Which means the other three bars could have gone
possibly to the Sahara, the Sands or who knows where.So some where out there there
are three other bars like this one.This particular bar ended up being an extra one
that was never shipped out to Las Vegas and this guy had bought it.It has been in
Riverside, Cal. for the last twenty something years until recently .

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-02-09 17:17 ]

Here's the shelf that I posted a few weeks back, hung and stocked with scotch whisky.

Looks good Craig....not a big Scotch drinker though !

Here's a rattan wall shelf I picked up a little while ago. I believe it's newer since the shelves are made of split bamboo and are fixed in place.

As you can see, it is now housing the hawaiian carved perfume bottle collection.
Aloha,

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies