Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Your Best Drink Creation (So Far...)

Pages: 1 19 replies

Post your best drink creations here.

By that, I mean drinks YOU created. Drinks you'd like to share. Or post your link to your drink here.

I'll start:

I call this the Kanaloa Kannibal:

Juice of 1 Lime
1/2 oz. Orgeat
1 oz. Cranberry Juice
1/2 oz. Maraschino Liqueur
1 oz. Cruzan Rum

Shake it in a shaker with 2 oz. of crushed ice,
Pour into a double hiball filled with crushed ice (or a tiki mug). Garnish with a maraschino cherry and lime wedge on a plastic sword.

Hope you like it as much as I did!

I apoligize if this thread idea already exists, but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

TT

This one I call the Pomegranate Pygmy. It seemed to go over okay at Tiki Oasis 7.

POMEGRANATE PYGMY

Single Servings (13 oz):

4 oz Kern’s Guava Nectar
.75 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
2 oz Hiram Walker Pomegranate Schnapps
2 oz Cruzan Estate Light Rum
4 oz (1 cup) Ice Cubes

Flash blend for about 5 seconds, then pour into double old fashioned glass. Garnish with cherry on umbrella and a mint sprig.

P
pablus posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 7:56 PM

In the summer - this thing is loved by hard core scotch alcoholics and 19 year old vodka and redbull teenie boppers with the same intensity.

Palm Farmer Johnny named it The Banana Rum Split...

5 of the small bananas ("lady fingers" here)
4 shots (oz) of 15 Year Rhum Barbancourt
4 shots of Cruzan Single Barrel
2 shots of Orange Curacao
3 shots of Creme de Cacao
4 shots Pineapple Juice
8 shots OJ
1 fresh lime squeezed in
1 shot Amaretto

Blend in Vitamix... or some lesser brand of blender

set half of the mixture aside

add a couple of scoops of ice to the remaining mix in the blender

grate a bit of nutmeg over it

blend until frothy, foamy - or some other state of being that exudes frostiality

garnish with fresh cherry that has been soaked in 151 Rum

Repeat the "ice and nutmeg" part with the remainder of the mixture

THE "HO"
this is my guests favorite concoction....

it picked up the name ...THE " HO ".... as i serve it in vintage DON HO polynesian palace hi ball glasses...

1 oz pineapple infused rum
1 oz appleton estate rum
1/2 oz oregat syrup
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup
3 oz orange juice
3 oz pineapple juice

blend with 3 oz ice until frothy
pour and add 1/2 oz grenadine

garnish with a pineapple slice and ..of course a paper umbrella

the vintage DON HO glasses make it a little more fun....
......dont forget the DON HO background music......

[ Edited by: closettiki 2008-01-06 20:52 ]

This is one I made that I finally named the King Kai, mostly because it was inspired by the Kapu Kai. I don't stop drinking these until I run out of the rum.

It is a surprisingly good use of Cruzan Black Strap rum.

King Kai (the name is a also a reference to a semi-old cartoon series. serious points if you can place it)

1 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
1/2 oz simple syrup
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz orange juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice

Shake with your average amount of ice. Then pour it over more ice in an old fashioned glass. Or, you don't even need the ice, just pour it into a cocktail glass.

EDIT: Oooooh, scratch that. Shake with no more than 4 or 5 cubes of ice. This is a very short drink. Cheers! hiccup

[ Edited by: DJ HawaiianShirt 2008-01-07 18:13 ]

[ Edited by: DJ HawaiianShirt 2008-10-03 07:40 ]

La Verandah one day discovered that her small but select bar was negative her favorite silver tequila. Instead of a margarita she concocted something she dare not yet claim is original, but that she had not heard of or found repeated elsewhere. It makes a light, pleasant drink perfect for when one does not wish anything complicated or overly sweet.

Off Her Nut
2 oz. gold tequila
1 oz. macadamia nut liqueur

1. oz. Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice

Shake gently together. Pour over rocks.

Damn, Verandah, that sounds good. We need more tequila cocktails, anyway.

On 2008-01-14 05:47, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Damn, Verandah, that sounds good. We need more tequila cocktails, anyway.

Gracias, senor, I concur. Rum is delightful, but one needs une petite variety.

P

What is t-tuk-tukweela?

Sounds kind of Spanish.
Is it something I might like?

On 2008-01-15 05:07, pablus wrote:

What is t-tuk-tukweela?

Sounds kind of Spanish.
Is it something I might like?

Nectar of the agave gods. Esta muy bueno, senor.

Doubtless you already know this and are pulling one of La Verandah's shapely legs....

On 2008-01-06 19:41, Trader Tom wrote:
This one I call the Pomegranate Pygmy. It seemed to go over okay at Tiki Oasis 7.

POMEGRANATE PYGMY

Single Servings (13 oz):

4 oz Kern’s Guava Nectar
.75 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
2 oz Hiram Walker Pomegranate Schnapps
2 oz Cruzan Estate Light Rum
4 oz (1 cup) Ice Cubes

Flash blend for about 5 seconds, then pour into double old fashioned glass. Garnish with cherry on umbrella and a mint sprig.

Tom is being incredibly humble here, folks. His Pomegranate Pygmy was one of top 3 drinks at Tiki Oasis 7 and one of the best new Tiki drinks we had all of last year. It's a great blend and has a very unique taste. I've made a bastardized version of it on my own, substituting PAMA Pomegranate liqueur for the Hiram Walker Schnapps as the Washington state liquor stores are amongst the paltriest in the nation. But I digress - GREAT DRINK TOM! What do you have in store for Tiki Oasis 8? Our livers await! CHEERS -Tiki Joe's Pop

M

This is my current favorite of my own creation:

Luaahi
1 oz Pyrat Blanco
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz pineapple juice
¾ oz maraschino liqueur
¾ oz Velvet or house Falernum
dash Fee Bros. old fashioned bitters
6 drops Herbsaint

Blend with 8 oz ice by 5 one second pulses. Pour into TIKI KON 2007 signature Luaahi mug. Garnish with pineapple wedge, maraschino cherry and cocktail umbrella

10 cents to the person who can figure out my inspiration. If you don't have Pyrat Blanco, a Virgin Islands would be OK.

Well, another Tiki Oasis Room Crawl has come and gone. To continue with tradition, I thought I'd post my latest drink creation, the ZOMBIE JAMBOREE.

Single Servings (16 oz):

5 oz Calamansi Lime Juice by Sun Tropics
4 oz Soursop/Guanabana Juice by Sun Tropics
3 oz Cruzan Estate Light Rum
Splash of Cocopandan Syrup
4 oz (1 cup) Ice Cubes

Shake & then pour into glass. Garnish with cherry on umbrella.

We probably served about 100 of these this last weekend in my giant shaker that makes 4 drinks at a time.

The Sun Tropics carton juices came from my local Whole Foods and use only cane sugar... no corn syrup. The Cruzan is what I used last summer. A good bargain at our local Beverages and More. The syrup came from an Asian Market in San Gabriel and although it looks like grenadine, it tastes very different.

Thanks to all those that came by to sample! For those of you that are interested in giving it a try for the first time, let me now what you think.

Mahalos!!!

Tiki Oasis 9 has come to an end. This was my third year as one of the room crawl hosts. What a blast!!! My good friend Dibroc and I enjoyed serving Hibiscus Hula Cocktails to everyone that came to The Morbid Room Friday and Saturday night. I printed out several copies of the recipe for those of you that attended, but if you missed it, lost it, or wanted to send the recipe to a friend, here's the recipe once more (with some clarifications):

HIBISCUS HULA COCKTAIL

*Makes 12 ounces.

1 oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
¾ oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
¼ oz Orgeat Syrup ( I used Torani)
¼ oz Crème de Banana Schnapps (I used 99 Bananas)
1 oz Home Made Hibiscus Syrup
1 oz Cruzan Estate Light Rum
¾ oz Cruzan Estate Dark Rum
5 oz Crushed Ice
1 oz Club Soda

Garnish with hibiscus flower and paper umbrella (if available).

HIBISCUS SYRUP

*Makes 3 Big Bottles.

4 packages of Jamaica (Ha-my-ka) Brand dried Hibiscus flowers from Spanish Market that are normally used for tea
10 cups sugar
10 cups water
1 juiced lemon
3 shots of Wray and Nephew’s Overproof Rum

Dissolve water and sugar over medium heat, add flowers and lemon juice, then bring to boil. Let steep for 4 minutes. Sift flowers and pour hot syrup into 3 big bottles that have been pre-warmed in hot water to avoid cracking from sudden temperature increase. Top with rum and let bottles cool in medium cool water bath till cool to touch.

*** Clarifications ***

During the crawl you sometimes have to make concessions because of the number of people that come through. A few times during the evening I ran short on limes and lemons and resorted to Santa Cruz Organic bottled juice from Whole Foods. It's not as good as fresh squeezed, but okay in a pinch. Also, my ice crusher was pretty slow, so rather than all crushed ice, I used regular bagged ice and then threw a little crushed ice in. At home you can take your time and do it right.

In the syrup recipe, I neglected to mention what size the bags of hibiscus were. They contain 8-10 oz each. Depending on the size of your pot, you may want to do a half batch to avoid a boil over mess. Also, my friend SparkleMark (a whiz at syrup making) suggested not using the lemon juice because it tends to cause syrup to spoil faster in his experience. He suggested lemon zest from a lemon rind as an alternate because it has the essential oils in it. My grater got lost, so I tried making some without the lemon and it tasted the same to me. You can probably omit it if you don't plan on using all the syrup right away. Also, the Hibiscus Hula Cocktail has fresh lemon juice in it already, so it's kind of redundant to have more in the syrup if you're using it for this cocktail. Typically, SparkleMark says that these home made syrups last about 2 weeks tops if unrefrigerated but as long as a month if kept in the refrigerator. I run through the syrup pretty fast and haven't tested this yet!

Someone asked me why I poured the hot syrup into bottles instead of waiting for it to cool. I have no answer, other than I read somewhere to do it that way. If nothing else, it adds a fun element of danger as you try to avoid scalding yourself with hot syrup. :wink:

For those of you wondering about my giant 4-glass-at-a-time shaker, it made it through the end of Saturday night, but due to the crack at the top, I'm going to retire it. Let me know if you spot any for sale somewhere. I'm looking to replace it. It's so handy for the crawls!

I'm still experimenting with the hibiscus syrup and using it in place of grenadine in different recipes. Let me know if you find other great uses for it.

Mine is simple. Haven't been able to come up with a name for it yet - in my head I call it "The No Math"

2 oz white rum
2 oz coconut rum
2 oz lime juice
2 oz lime aid

Pour into ice filled glass, top with club soda and garnish with ...lime.

M

"Divine Nectar of the Xtabay": an original cocktail I whipped up while listening to Yma Sumac.

1 1/2 oz. Homemade Sweet & Sour Mix
1 oz. Patrón Reposado Tequila
1 oz. Capel Pisco Reservado
1 oz. Mango Nectar
3/4 oz. Passionfruit Syrup
3/4 oz. AGWA Coca Liqueur
3/4 oz. Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum
1/2 oz. Señor Curaçao Curaçao Liqueur
1/4 oz. Kalani Coconut Liqueur
1/4 oz. Homemade Grenadine

Shake all ingredients, except for the rum and grenadine, with crushed ice. Pour into a large brandy snifter, and add more ice to fill. Float rum and grenadine on top.

Man, aside from a most tempting recipe, your pic makes me want to be THERE! Great work!

M

On 2009-09-09 07:26, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Man, aside from a most tempting recipe, your pic makes me want to be THERE! Great work!

If you're ever in the neighborhood, I'd be more than happy to make one for you, and let you savor the ambiance too.

On 2009-09-09 18:53, MrBaliHai wrote:

On 2009-09-09 07:26, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:

If you're ever in the neighborhood, I'd be more than happy to make one for you, and let you savor the ambiance too.

Well, thanks for the hospitable offer, I'll be sure to take you up on that when I'm in your area. Not sure which area that is, but I'll be sure to bring a thirst and a gift worthy of that bar.

Even after all the Greg Log tiki drinks I have been serving over the last couple of months to my lovely wahine this drink concoction is still her favorite:

Mama Malcolm

1 oz. light rum
1 oz. vodka
1 oz. Kaluha
1 oz. Bailey's Irish cream

Shake all ingredients with cubed ice then pour entire shaker into a double old fashioned glass and serve. It is extremely important that each ingredient is equal to each other. It is surprising that 1/8 oz. more of one can totally overpower the others. If you slurp this down with any speed you will definitely be saying, "Whoa Mama!"

Pages: 1 19 replies