Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Velvet Falernum to the US

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

Well in addition to the St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram there was also another fine Haus Alpenz product sitting alone; the last bottle of Rothman & Winter Crème de Violette. It looked most intriguing.

Murph, I'm glad that you're enjoying it let me know when you're out I've made another batch and I need your feedback.

Best
Mark

I

I just gave this a try and thought it was pretty good. Let me know what you think. It's a small twist on a traditional Rum and Coke. I like to use the mexican Coke that you can get in bottles at Costco. It's made with real sugar, not corn syrup. I also use Myers's Original Dark rum. Tall glass packed with crushed ice, 1oz Myers's Original Dark Rum, add Coke to almost top of glass, stir and float 1/2 oz of Velvet Falernum on top. Garnish with a maraschino cherry. I'm not saying this is anything special, but if you enjoy a rum and Coke now and then, it's worth a shot.

Mike

Mike

Meyers' rum is actually clear rum treated with caramel coloring.

You might like to try your recipe with a "real" dark rum like Cruzan Black Strap or Gosling's Black Seal.

Using the Mexican coke is a great idea.
HFCS is the work of satan.

I

On 2008-11-17 10:02, tikibars wrote:
Mike

Meyers' rum is actually clear rum treated with caramel coloring.

You might like to try your recipe with a "real" dark rum like Cruzan Black Strap or Gosling's Black Seal.

Using the Mexican coke is a great idea.
HFCS is the work of satan.

Thanks, I will have to give that a try. I have some Zaya and Pyrat XO, but I like to save those for Mai Tai's.

Mike

B

I was in Austin TX last week and stopped in "Specs" on a whim. First comment - holy $%#&^%, why don't we have places like this in Canada ?

Anyways, at the end of the Rum row I found about 20ea bottles of Velvet Falernum and Fees Brothers Falernum. Picked up one of each and got them home safely, but discovered that carrying bottles of liquor in your carry-on is no longer allowed (D'oh!!).

[ Edited by: bridgman 2008-11-18 20:30 ]

Pages: 1 2 52 replies