Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Disneyland California 45th Anniversary Tiki Room 6/22/08

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

I just received a notice from the Disney Gallery on the 45th Anniversary Product Release of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room Products. I know where I will be on June 22,2008. Check out the Disney Gallery website http://www.DisneyGallery.com Looks like a treasure trove of Tiki goodies. Get your Disney pass for the discount & have your Visa ready.

The Disney web site has been updated. Check it out! I am partial to the Tiki Fountain.

Aloha

[ Edited by: bonbonvic 2008-03-11 19:54 ]

[ Edited by: BONBONVIC 2008-04-01 22:54 ]

Wow. It's been almost five years since I spent five hours standing in line behind Monkeyman waiting to purchase the 40th Anniversary merchandise. I went home the next day and joined TC.

Oh My God! A sinking feeling in my bank account! Wonderful new art.

Boy they are really cashing in on the revival! The best thing is that Kev and Jody are doing great work again, AND they are getting paid much better now that they are doing the same thing as before, but as freelancers ! :D

I saw this in the MousePlanet DLR Update on Monday but I couldn't find the thread to post it in until now... :)

Here's a link to images of some of the products to be released for the 45th, and Here's a link to preorder some of the products & sign up for getting them signed.

Looking at some of the products they're planning on releasing (Rongo Bowl Mug!) is really getting my mouth watering!

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2008-03-12 07:35 ]

At some point we will be producing Tiki Room jewelry for Disney You'll be the first to know !!!!
but it will be just plated brass like the Jack Sparrow and Jack Skellington jewelry that we do for the parks.

They didn't feel the crowd would support lmt. edt. Tiki Room pendants costing $650 like they did for the Pirates OTC and Nightmare B.F.XMAS limited Editions we did.

They were also wanting us more on Mickey 80th and H.M. 40th stuff.

Since he became a freelancer, Kevin Kidney's work has become so much more detailed. He also adjusted his perspective on his favorite genre, Tiki style. Gone are is the slavish adherence to authentic mid-century modern primitivism, and all that intellectual, no-fun baggage that goes hand in hand with that. Just the other day I heard him mention that he was sick of all the purists and Tiki snobs who just could not relax and accept that fact that there are no rules in Tiki style, and that it is all just one big party. Here is an example of his more recent work, a bird house for the Floridian "Island life style" lovers, who just like to kick back to some Jimmy Buffet and shoot the breeze, where ever it blows from:

The parrot is inspired by Kevin's "Jose". Note the carefully selected color palette for the "scary" native mask. The yellow is based on....nothing:

At first, Kevin could not decide if he should put his OTHER favorite drink, the Tequila Sunrise, on the menu, or this one:

As a matter of fact, the folks at Disney liked this design so much, they are thinking about updating the Enchanted Tiki Room along those lines, to widen its public appeal...after all, the public is always right, and is who brings in the money!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-03-22 09:51 ]

On 2008-03-20 08:59, bigbrotiki wrote:
The parrot is inspired by Kevin's "Jose". Note the carefully selected color palette for the "scary" native mask. The yellow is based on....nothing:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

M

Sven - I knew you couldn't resist buying the first one. It's the anti-Witco movement I'm trying to spearhead. Available at Target in the "seasonal" section. The purchaser agrees to pick off the hot-glue globs before use.

BigBro,
You have no idea how lucky you are. The piece you bought is a Kevin Kidney original. After Kevin designed this piece, Jody sculpted it as you have it. These were later send to China for mass production and they don't look as detailed as your prototype. Disney was forced to cut corners for a bigger financial mark-up and the final pieces look much cheaper. :( Sven, you are a lucky man. Can I at least come look at your original?

Jeez Louise, they are just cranking that Tiki Room stuff out, aren't they! This is just the 45th, I wonder what they will have left to make for the 50TH ANNIVERSARY! Especially with all the collectors editions for the 46th, 47th, 48th and 49th ! (Just kidding)

Well, the "Pièce de Résistance" is of course "Le Cup du Rongo" (not its actual name) by our friends Kevin and Jody:

The mug collectors world is abuzz! A fine job, indeed.
And the other whammy is the Enchanted Tiki Fountain, with real running water and lights, sound (or stick) triggered!:

Here is Jody lifting a Mai Tai in celebration of its completion (the model, that is):

"Wake up, Jose":

Clearly a must-have! (Jose himself was on a break)

I think Ive seen that kitchen before somewhere in Silverlake?

Remember that Mai Tai there? My special recipe: Two thirds of dark rum, one third of golden, dash of a fresh lime, mint sprig...Voila!

T

If anyone would be willing to do me a big favor and pick me up one of those working tiki fountains, I would be happy to pay them in advance, including a few dollars extra for their trouble. Please PM me if you can help me out.

mahalo
Mike

S

MUST HAVE THE FOUNTAIN!

I hope they will allow phone orders!

I would really really like a Rongo bowl if anyone would be willing to pick one of those up for me. I can't make the trip down from Portland. Let me know.

So does anyone know if this is going to be sold only through the disneyland store on Main St.. or could we call in phone orders, or website?? Be a great excuse to take the kidzz to Disneyland but don't see it happening right now!

They have limited numbers of each item that was made. Technically, they are only being sold at Disneyland on June 22nd. However, whatever does not sell on the 22nd, will be available to purchase via phone the next day. I don't see there being a lot left over though. The numbers are not high at all. Especially, when you look at the fact that thousands and thousands of ppl go through Disneyland each day.

[ Edited by: Tiki Kupcake 2008-06-06 09:39 ]

Uh Tiki Kupcake, that would be June 22nd....

Does anybody know whether phone orders will be taken through Disneyland DeliverEARS 1-800-362-4533 number?

I want the fountain, a bar towel, and a bracelet....is that too much to ask for!!!! Waaaaa...I can't make it down to the event...I am so skrued. :(

If the fountain could be ordered on line....I would stay glued to the net for the sale. Sniff Sniff...tear running down face...my best Drama Queen ever. :(

C

I am curious, if I can't make it there on the 22nd and that days stuff sells out, how long before they get another shipment or is this a one day thing and if I miss it I am screwed?

Found this info on Kevin Kidney's blog:

"*THIS JUST IN: A few of you from out of the area have asked if it's possible to purchase items without going to the Park. I just got an answer from Disneyland that there won't be any type of pre-order for our items, but that Guests may call the Monday/Tuesday following the event to see if any merchandise is still available. Here is the "Disneyland DelivEARS" number to call: 800.362.4533. Most likely if you want to ensure getting an item and can't make it to Disneyland on June 22, perhaps you can ask a friend or someone who could come to the event and purchase it for you. I do know Disneyland is predicting several of the items may sell out on the day of the event. Hope this info helps some of you! "

S

It seems a shame...unless they're not telling us everything that will be there...that the Amanda Visell prints will not be available as affordable 11x14 prints like many of the SHAG prints were. Anyone know different?

[ Edited by: spy-tiki 2008-06-13 17:08 ]

I'll be there! Woohoo! I may be able to pick up a few extra items, if you are dying for something drop me a line.

[email protected]

[ Edited by: EnchantedTikiGal 2008-06-21 00:55 ]

MT

Is anyone from the San Francisco Bay Area interested in going down to this event? I am definitely interested in going, but Coco Loco probably can't make it.

It is crazy the event just ended 2 hours ago and things already popped up on ebay. The Tangaroa Ru painting that was $800 is listed asking for $2500. Why do people do that?? They are not even into those stuff, they just want to make money.

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:45 ]

C

On 2008-06-22 13:54, wishyouwell wrote:
It is crazy the event just ended 2 hours ago and things already popped up on ebay. The Tangaroa Ru painting that was $800 is listed asking for $2500. Why do people do that?? They are not even into those stuff, they just want to make money.

I think you answered your own question.

I have to admit though, I am into the stuff but if I can swing getting 2 of something I will buy two, sit on one awhile and sell it on eBay. I usually list for what I bought it for though and let the bidders take it higher if they want. It has enabled me to be able to afford to collect what I do get for myself.

On 2008-06-22 16:41, BlackFish wrote:
Hi ya and welcome to TC wishyouwell. If ya read the ebay auction decription a little closer, you would know that the auction is for the original painting, not a print. Now, go ahead and hit that 'Buy it Now" button. LoL!

BlackFish

It was the original for $800.00, Hope it doesn't sell!

Just got off the phone with Delivears(800 362 4533) and got my 2 tang babies, a pitcher and an aloha shirt. Be prepared to dial like you're trying to win tickets on the radio and when you finally do get through you might have a looooong wait. It was about 45 minutes of hold for me. When they did pick up they were super cool and helpful. Good luck!

I want to thanks EnchantedTikiGal for helping me yesterday. Even we don't know each other, she picked up the Shadow Box for me at the event. Unfortunately, they ran out of Tiki Fountain by the time it was her turn. (She was #26 in line she said).

Anyway, THANKS ENCHANTEDTIKIGAL!!

On 2008-06-23 09:31, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
Just got off the phone with Delivears(800 362 4533) and got my 2 tang babies, a pitcher and an aloha shirt. Be prepared to dial like you're trying to win tickets on the radio and when you finally do get through you might have a looooong wait. It was about 45 minutes of hold for me. When they did pick up they were super cool and helpful. Good luck!

Boy! I don't think I can get away with been on the phone for that long at work. I will try it during lunch time.

K

Got through this afternoon (east cosast time) ordered the fig set.
Said for to call back in late July for the fountain.
Also it seems that they are charging way too much for shipping especially for the limited items.
For example the tiki babies were $24 for shipping on each one. Thats sounds strange since they are only $20 a piece. Maybe someone could help me out on this item.

LT

On 2008-06-23 11:34, kbgator wrote:
Also it seems that they are charging way too much for shipping especially for the limited items.
For example the tiki babies were $24 for shipping on each one. Thats sounds strange since they are only $20 a piece. Maybe someone could help me out on this item.

I'd call back about the shipping, that can't be right. I just placed an order myself and the shipping was $36 for two Rongo bowls and four Tiki babies.

I final got to call them and no, they don't have the fountain neither, I ordered 3 x $35 deluxe prints with shipping total = $129.50. I think that sounds right.
I went and found their shipping charge chart:

MERCHANDISE TOTAL:
Up to $50.00 Ground $9.95 Economy Air $24.95 Express Air $34.95
Alaska & Hawaii Economy $29.95 Express $39.95
$50.01 - $75.00 Ground $14.95 Economy Air $29.95 Express Air $39.95
Alaska & Hawaii Economy $34.95 Express $44.95
$75.01 - $100.00 Ground $19.95 Economy Air $34.95 Express Air $44.95
Alaska & Hawaii Economy $39.95 Express $49.95
$100.01 - $150.00 Ground $24.95 Economy Air $39.95 Express Air $49.95
Alaska & Hawaii Economy $44.95 Express $54.95
$150.01 - $250.00 Ground $29.95 Economy Air $49.95 Express Air $59.95
Alaska & Hawaii Economy $54.95 Express $64.95
$250.01 - $500.00 Ground $34.95 Economy Air $54.95 Express Air $74.95
Alaska & Hawaii Economy $59.95 Express $79.95
$500.01 - $1000. Ground $39.95 Economy Air $69.95 Express Air $89.95
Alaska & Hawaii Economy $74.95 Express $94.95

[ Edited by: wishyouwell 2008-06-23 13:38 ]

They said shipping was pricey and that disneyland was being strick on it becasue they are limited edition they are being shipped with UPS and insured, so the shipping is priced diffently then for normal items. I forgot to buy the purse and a mug and it was $24 for shipping, yikes! but still cheaper than the ebay prices for the item. And yes it's true I was there yesterday and forgot to get 2 things, by the time you get to the front of the line your so tired and worn out from the heat you could barely function.

You have to phone back in July to see if they have any left, they ran out of them and only had 60 available that day, so they promised the people that were waiting in line that we would be the first to them and they took our info, then if anything is left they will sell that to the public, hope that helps.

I too, waited f-o-r-e-v-e-r on hold to get through, and after nearly an hour I did. I was shocked at the $24 PER BOWL ($48) for shipping, but paid it, considering the net price (bowl plus shipping) better than any net ebay price.

Thanks to this thread, I did call back asking them to re-check the rates I was charged. The castmember confirmed that I was charged the correct price, but spoke with a supervisor and got it reduced to $32 for the entire order.

Other than the original shipping charges, my experience with Disney DelivEARs was great, and I'm glad they have such a service at all.

On 2008-06-22 17:17, catmomma wrote:

I think you answered your own question.

I have to admit though, I am into the stuff but if I can swing getting 2 of something I will buy two, sit on one awhile and sell it on eBay. I usually list for what I bought it for though and let the bidders take it higher if they want. It has enabled me to be able to afford to collect what I do get for myself.

What catmomma does is fine with me. At least she actually like the stuff she bought. But I am talking about those people do that for profit only. It is all just a business transaction to them, wait in line for a few hours and make $1700!!! While the rest of us work hard everyday to earn money and wait in line to get something we enjoy, those people only see $$$ in their eyes.

T

i know what catmomma is talking about. i was there and stood in line for five hours. i paid $210 for summer fun passes for myself and my daughter and for parking, probably another $20 for the gas, and bought a bunch of stuff for myself. i always pick up an extra of a couple of things to sell on ebay, just to try to recoup some of my expenses.

the folks i really feel bad for are the ones who went through the purchasing process before they revealed that they would take names for the fountains. those of us who hung in there anyway were told we would get fountains for sure, but i didn't hear them say anything about people being able to call in to get them.

What Do You Think...

The Disney site for the 45th Anniversary merchandise says that the Rongo Bowl is an edition of 500. I just spoke to someone who already has their bowl, and asked them what indicates on the bowl, or anything that comes with the bowl, that it is part of an edition of 500. He looked at the bowl, the tag on the bowl, and all of the packaging. Apparently, nothing on the bowl or with the bowl states or certifies this.

Doesn't this diminish this as a collectable? Is Disney free to simply run more of them, if it chooses? After all, it doesn't even say "limited edition", just edition.

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2008-06-23 17:46 ]

On 2008-06-23 17:45, jwtiki wrote:
What Do You Think...

The Disney site for the 45th Anniversary merchandise says that the Rongo Bowl is an edition of 500. I just spoke to someone who already has their bowl, and asked them what indicates on the bowl, or anything that comes with the bowl, that it is part of an edition of 500. He looked at the bowl, the tag on the bowl, and all of the packaging. Apparently, nothing on the bowl or with the bowl states or certifies this.

Doesn't this diminish this as a collectable? Is Disney free to simply run more of them, if it chooses? After all, it doesn't even say "limited edition", just edition.

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2008-06-23 17:46 ]

They handed out little half-sheets of paper that state that they are limited to a run of 500 in addition to some other information. They weren't very good about handing these out to people. I bought two mugs and only got one sheet. Some didn't get one. I wasn't about to stand in line again to get a second sheet.

Boy, I can't wait to see how Disneyland handles the 50th anniversary of the ETR.

If you bought a Rongo Bowl, it should have came in a white box that had print on it stating:
DESC: KK&JD RONGO TIKIBWL LE500
UPC#400014069664
Q'TY: 1 PC
MADE IN CHINA

Here are images of the box:

and Certificate:

This is the Certificate of Verification, but they looked like they were xerox office copies basically confirming that the bowls were Limited Edition, and that no infringement shall be made against the design. Maybe they should have printed that in Chinese and had it posted in the factory where these came from. China seems to bootleg everything nowadays. :lol:

Also, If anyone has an extra mug like
a Brown Pele:

or a Disneyland 50th Anniversary Shag Adventureland Tiki Mug:

lying around in mint to near mint condition, and would be interested in a Rongo Bowl trade, let me know through a PM...

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-06-23 23:38 ]

On 2008-06-23 14:34, jwtiki wrote:
Thanks to this thread, I did call back asking them to re-check the rates I was charged. The castmember confirmed that I was charged the correct price, but spoke with a supervisor and got it reduced to $32 for the entire order.

They'll make up for it by packing it cheaply and shipping it uninsured.

On 2008-06-23 23:40, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2008-06-23 14:34, jwtiki wrote:

They'll make up for it by packing it cheaply and shipping it uninsured.

Sadly, you may be right, and I hadn't thought of that...

S
Sync posted on Tue, Jun 24, 2008 2:38 PM

I made it to the ETR 45th opening on Sunday at the park-- wrote up a detailed report on my blog at:

http://syncopator.blogspot.com

Was a bit of an ordeal to say the least, but I got what I was after (or will at least, assuming they call me on the Fountain as I got on the list well within 500 I think)...

--

Sync

Pages: 1 2 79 replies