Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

APRIL CHOP - Saturday the 26th!

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies

The April chop will be at my house in Oceanside on Saturday the 26th.

:D

M

Im IN !!!

a little videography..... a little carving...

T

I've been doing some carving today. I decided that I'm not allowed to have more than 4 large projects going at the same time. I'm hoping to get 2 of my 4 large items done before the next Chop. I've got so many ideas swimming around in my head, I think I'll need to start a sketch book to keep track of them. (It's a pity that I can't draw either.)

I'll be there bright and early, Bill. That is, if I survive the Parking Lot Sale.

M

Is it ok if I carve a frame while Im there or do I need to find a log?

T

On 2008-04-06 18:41, Monkeyman wrote:
Is it ok if I carve a frame while Im there or do I need to find a log?

Oh please carve a frame. I think that's something that most of us have never seen.

Everybody just does their own thing at the Chops. Zaya does her wood burning. Some people work with concrete or clay or resin. Last month Kenny did some painting...

The chops are NOT for carving tikis only! Like Kate said, we're getting more people doing other stuff, and it's a great thing. ANY art that fits on TC, is welcome at the chops.
It's a gathering of artistic folk, who get inspired off of seeing what everyone else is creating.

C

damn, I'll be up in Ventura at the primer nationals...chop some for me!!

B

i'm in!

there

Yeehaw! I'm there!!

Hum, I might be able to make this.

B

In like flint!

I can taste the Musubi already!

Guys, I'll be donating a mask to the Devil Dolls Motorcycle club for a burn center benefit they're putting on and if anyone else is interested in helping out, that would be great. Read about the benefit at http://www.devildollsmc.org , in the May section of their calendar. This benefit will help send adolescent victims of severe burns to a week long summer camp. The benefit will be held at the DNA Lounge in San Francisco, on May 18th, if anyone in the bay area would like to attend.

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-04-08 00:00 ]

hope you guys have a great chop, me and my tamales our out , its our anniversary and my wife and i will be up in pismo enjoying a weekend sans kids. pops is trying to get my brother n law to head down there with him

M
mieko posted on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 7:00 PM

I'll be there!
I hope pops can make it!
Mieko

what time does this start?

B

I won't be able to make it. :(

I'm going to miss each and every one of you.

...even Buzzy.

On 2008-04-20 20:02, Bowana wrote:

...even Buzzy.

Dav, I'm really going to miss you too. :( Even more, I'll miss the inspiration that your work provides for me on a monthly basis. So what projects do you have lined up for the May Chop?

Buzzy Out!

On 2008-04-20 19:53, Monkeyman wrote:

When I show up.

Buzzy Out!

On 2008-04-20 19:53, Monkeyman wrote:

Actually, I starts when I show up! :P Or, when I open the garage door at 9ish. :wink:

Boss said were going ........so were going

HAHAHAH

See you all Sat.

Scott and Jen

I know that the regulars cant make it every time.. but those are the folks Im trying to document this Saturday...

Which regulars will we have in attendance on Saturday?

I hate to miss some of you that are frequent contributors..

M

On 2008-04-21 09:40, Monkeyman wrote:
I know that the regulars cant make it every time.. but those are the folks Im trying to document this Saturday...

Which regulars will we have in attendance on Saturday?

I hate to miss some of you that are frequent contributors..

For old-school regulars, me, Kate, Bill (4WDTiki), Babalu, Buzzy and Zaya all look like we'll be there. For Clysdalle, Bowana maybe you can catch up with them later. Dunno about Cammo, he normally shows up for short periods of time if he can. Mr. NoNaMe?

We also have some newer regulars you should talk to, it sounds like Billy is coming, too bad about Cannibal Sam, but maybe pops would be there. I think some of the newer people would be neat to talk to - how they found us and why they started coming and what they've learned might be pretty cool.

There's also "support staff" Bill's wife Lennie is an awesome hostess and feeds us (and maybe she'll carve this month!) and my parents make musubi and other food for us.

And sorry to whoever I forgot!

I won't be able to attend...
:(
maybe the one after this...
they sooooo fun!
I need 4-5 paintings for mModern next thursday/Friday
and haven't a thing to wear!
Have fun!
Great seeing a lotta y'all at the parking lot Sale!
Bill, your wife is so RAD!
Smile pretty for Derek y'all!!!

Can we not let Billy speak on camera please......I mean come on....really............no .............no really!

:wink:

no worries... editing is a magical thing...

sort of like a giant axe that just hacks away at any content I choose..

so jackassery will always suffer an anonymous fate.

B

On 2008-04-20 20:14, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2008-04-20 20:02, Bowana wrote:

...even Buzzy.

Dav, I'm really going to miss you too. :( Even more, I'll miss the inspiration that your work provides for me on a monthly basis. So what projects do you have lined up for the May Chop?

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy, for the May Chop I'll be working on my latest project pictured below:

I'm carving it all from one piece of Honduras Mahogany. Let me know if you need help with yours and I'll be glad to accomodate. :)

Bowana out!

On 2008-04-21 13:06, Clysdalle wrote:
Can we not let Billy speak on camera please......I mean come on....really............no .............no really!

I already warned him. :roll:

The crowd is a little different every month, but it's always fabulous.

On 2008-04-21 13:32, Bowana wrote:
Let me know if you need help with yours and I'll be glad to accomodate. :)

Bowana out!

Yo Dav!

I cannot thank you enough for all the help and continued guidance you provide for me. With that, it pains me to ask of you another favor. Pretty please on this one:

I responded to this job offer I saw on Craigslist a while back:
Sculptor/Mold maker
I really need some quick cash right now and figured you could help me get my foot in the door at this place. Since I'm horribly underqualified for every job requirement they asked for, I used your resume from your website and just substituted my name for yours and sent it in. They just emailed me that they want to do a follow up interview because they are really impressed with my qualifications. I said that I hurt my knee doing extreme sports over the weekend, and asked to conduct the interview over the phone. I gave them your phone number and they'll be calling tomorrow around 2pm. This should be a slam dunk for you, so thanks in advance for pretending to be me for a while. I figure I'll get at least a couple days pay out of them before they figure out what's up and fire me, and for this, I once again thank you in advance.

Buzzy Out!

TT

Hey guys,
I would like to get to this chop and check out what everyone is up to but i may need some details...where is it held? I am in Bay Park/Clairemont, Is it far?
Cheers...
Tiki Trav...

Trav, PM me for info.

edit. Actually, if you're in Bay Park, you should carpool with Buzzy!

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-04-21 16:14 ]

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 21, 2008 5:06 PM

Tiki Trav is in

"Bay Park/Clairemont" ????????

Trav baby, so am I, Buzzy, and half the freakin' Chop Crew.

ahah i live in clairemont too

TT

im in apache, off blackfoot, off clairemont.. just past the 7-11 at the top of the hill... sweet.. might see you guys at...errrr...champs?...lol
good to hear i'm in a "hotspot" of tiki activity... that explains why after hitting like 30 thrift stores i found NOTHING!...lol

B

On 2008-04-21 14:14, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Yo Dav!

I cannot thank you enough for all the help and continued guidance you provide for me. With that, it pains me to ask of you another favor. Pretty please on this one:

I responded to this job offer I saw on Craigslist a while back:
Sculptor/Mold maker
I really need some quick cash right now and figured you could help me get my foot in the door at this place. Since I'm horribly underqualified for every job requirement they asked for, I used your resume from your website and just substituted my name for yours and sent it in. They just emailed me that they want to do a follow up interview because they are really impressed with my qualifications. I said that I hurt my knee doing extreme sports over the weekend, and asked to conduct the interview over the phone. I gave them your phone number and they'll be calling tomorrow around 2pm. This should be a slam dunk for you, so thanks in advance for pretending to be me for a while. I figure I'll get at least a couple days pay out of them before they figure out what's up and fire me, and for this, I once again thank you in advance.

Buzzy Out!

Hey wait a minute! That's MY job they posted! Oh crap, I didn't know I was a temp. Buzzy, which knee did you tell them you injured whilst doing extreme sports, in case they ask? We have to keep our story straight, you know.

Saturday forecast says sunny and 70s, MUCH better than last Saturday at Tiki Farm!

If you have a CD or two that you think would be good carving music, bring'em. I'm wanting to hear something other than my 50s blues and 70s reggae. :wink:

Host reserves the right to not play your disc, though. :P

Any new people want to come, PM me for directions.

Damn. Damn. I can't make this chop. My mum has been nagging me non-stop and is going to kill me if I don't move out some furniture and get rid of some things that have been an eye-sore (in her opinion) at her house.

Sniff, sniff.... :( I've been down-graded from "old-school regular", to "regular flake" due to my poor attendance of late.

Cheeky, the weekend is TWO days. Come chop an "evil doll" :wink: on Saturday, and move stuff on Sunday.

:)

B

YAY! Back a day early!!

Anybody else going to work in another medium besides wood at this Chop? We need some more painters...LLT , you coming?

I'm thinking I might play in clay at this one? Kate, Buzzard, you guys want me to bring some low fire glazes so you can finish your peices from that one Chop?

Bowana - Cheeky, I hope you two can figure out a way to come...you are going to be sorely missed.

Peace, Love, and Rock the Chop!

On 2008-04-23 06:27, Babalu wrote:
I'm thinking I might play in clay at this one? Kate, Buzzard, you guys want me to bring some low fire glazes so you can finish your peices from that one Chop?

Welcome back, Rick. Yes please. I'd love to do some glazing on Saturday.

B

babalu
yes i would love to glaze those shot glasses also

a friend is thinking about comming that makes great
necklaces and dream catchers

On 2008-04-21 13:06, Clysdalle wrote:

Man, if I had any feelings at all, I'd beat you to death with the butt of my.......er....I mean.......my feelings would be hurt.

Still working on making it, guys. My back is still pretty facked up. I'm not an oldschool regular, anyways, so who's going to notice?

On 2008-04-22 18:24, CheekyGirl wrote:
I've been down-graded from "old-school regular", to "regular flake" due to my poor attendance of late.

Cheeky:It's okay, you can paypal me your reinstatement fee, as well as the associated adminstrative fees, and you'll be placed back on the "Old School Regulars" list.

On 2008-04-23 10:07, Billy the Crud wrote:
I'm not an oldschool regular, anyways, so who's going to notice?

Billy: You can always puchase an upgrade of your current "non-old school regular guys" membership. It's easy if you have Paypal!

The San Diego Chop Old School Regulars: Join now, fees go up in June!

Buzzy Out!

Clydes I thought you were at the 1st chop at Meiko's.
Meiko was the ring leader so she gets the official "OG" title....Word!

And no worries, I'll be back in the saddle soon, hopefully hosting my very own Valley Chop!

I was there at the first on cheeky....I hit all of them till I missed my first one in Feb....and now I'm going to miss this one also as I'm off to Ventura. All these events start to fill up the whole summer....

On 2008-04-23 14:24, Clysdalle wrote:
I was there at the first on cheeky....I hit all of them till I missed my first one in Feb....and now I'm going to miss this one also as I'm off to Ventura. All these events start to fill up the whole summer....

Well, then the butt of my.........feelings will miss you this week. Ventura, eh? Try not to douche up my hometown too badly.

I'll be the best thing to happen to Ventura in a long time!! :wink:

B

No such a thing as old school, or new school when your on recess...

Come and PLAY at the Chop!

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies