Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

APRIL CHOP - Saturday the 26th!

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies

I will be carving with a Router on Saturday...

get ready to be annoyed... put me off way in the back... long extension cord....

hehehe

Routers are not annoying, MM.......but all powertools are usually used in the back 40 at Bills. They kick up a helluva mess!

shakes head at Clyde

On 2008-04-23 19:55, Clysdalle wrote:
I'll be the best thing to happen to Ventura in a long time!! :wink:

wow....you sure know how to brag,Dave!
Bet you could say the same about Apple Valley and Bakersfield....
:lol:

They'd love you in Trona and Turlock, too, Dave! :P

Derek, bring an extension cord if you can. There's never enough!

Updated weather: now they say low 80's, anybody else that can bring a pop-up for shade, please do.

I have a couple decent chunks of palm if anyone needs one, but they are unskinned. I can give you a knife to use... :D

On a side note, we've been brewing Kombucha tea at home, and have several extra starter scobys. If anyone coming is interested in making your own at home, I'll be happy to set you up. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google is your friend.

See you Saturday between 9 and 5.

B

I have left over Kava and donuts...

What I mean is...I'll buy donuts, and bring this Kava I have leftover for you burners too.

Kava and donuts!!!!YAAAAAY!!

Babs, you wanna carpool again? I've got Brian coming as well, so if we do a gas pool(no matches, please) it would be like 5 bucks each, I'm thinkin'.

Don't know how much I'll get done with this aching back and all, but I intend to put forth some effort. That Kava would be really nice on my back muscles.......can't wait!!

On 2008-04-24 09:59, Monkeyman wrote:
I will be carving with a Router on Saturday...

get ready to be annoyed... put me off way in the back... long extension cord....

hehehe

There are always an assortment of power tools at the chops, chain saws, sanders, grinders...

Anyone want to do a short seminar on flexcut chisel sharpening? I'm not confident in my skills, and would like to see others' techniques.

Extra kava for Billy, please! :P

On 2008-04-24 19:39, 4WDtiki wrote:
Anyone want to do a short seminar on flexcut chisel sharpening? I'm not confident in my skills, and would like to see others' techniques.

Extra kava for Billy, please! :P

Here, here. I've just been using a stone and would like to get the skinny from Bowana and Buzzy.

Kava me up, baby! Kave makes me a hella-mellow guy(did I just say "hella"?) and with all of this house hunt crap still going on, I could use a little relaxation.

id like to get the low down on sharpening flexcuts too, mine ar egetting kinda dull, i no longer need the bandaids that came with them

and 4wd, if you still need some cd's ive got some surf i can bring, the longboards, the shadows and the blue hawaiians, not much for cd's, if youve got a record player though ive got a ton of surf, exotica, and even some ska

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-04-24 21:14 ]

B

Sure Billy, will be happy to give you guys a ride...meet at my cosa...say, 9ish?

Can some one bring the panty hose stuff for the Kava? Unfortunately, this is something I don't have.

On 2008-04-25 11:31, Babalu wrote:
Can some one bring the panty hose stuff for the Kava? Unfortunately, this is something I don't have.

I'll pick up some hose this afternoon along with stuff for the ice chest, the chocolate cookies and a few pounds of pork butt.

I'll also throw some exotica and lounge CD's in the car.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 4:59 PM

Ugh, I knew I was going to forget people. :(

I'll bring my clipboard of sandpaper and pass on what I can remember about sharpening from Benzart. Hopefully others from the Oki Oki can help.

I was just thinking the other day that I didn't know anyone with a router... glad to know that I do Derek. :)

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 5:50 PM

"I'll bring my clipboard of sandpaper..."

As Mieko says, that's basically Benzart's sharpening technique - start with a stone if the tool is really dull, then just clip 4-6 grades of emery to a clipboard.

Always sharpen the chisel's side with the angle, not the flat side.

Start at the back emery, the roughest, and sharpen it down for like 10-12 strokes, move on to the next, finer one, for less strokes, and on down to the finest grade on top of the clipboard. Finally, use the finest grade to sharpen the other side of the chisel, just once, to take the tiny little gritty steel off that's bent down around the edge. Feel it and you'll see what I mean.

Bingo, razor sharp.

Benz is kind of crazy, so he actually finishes with a leather strop. You can also use sharpening goo that Buzzy seems to know all about, and there are odd little sharpening devices that Flexcut sells.

So does that mean you're coming Cam...or not?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 6:29 PM

I may come, but I'll be bringing my mom, who will be 80 in 1 week. She was up at 5:30 for the Parking Lot Sale, helping us load chairs onto the van. (So anybody who didn't come to the Sale has no valid excuse.) She got along great with Kennie, maybe because he's jealous of her ultra-white, soft as silk hair. She's the original real-deal spunky 1940's tomboy.

And I can bring more Kava. We'll see.

If I don't come, I'm sure everybody understands.

On 2008-04-25 17:50, Cammo wrote:

As Mieko says, that's basically Benzart's sharpening technique - start with a stone if the tool is really dull, then just clip 4-6 grades of emery to a clipboard.

Always sharpen the chisel's side with the angle, not the flat side.

Start at the back emery, the roughest, and sharpen it down for like 10-12 strokes, move on to the next, finer one, for less strokes, and on down to the finest grade on top of the clipboard. Finally, use the finest grade to sharpen the other side of the chisel, just once, to take the tiny little gritty steel off that's bent down around the edge. Feel it and you'll see what I mean.

Bingo, razor sharp.

I know all that, I just need to see it done, especially on curved chisels. Flat chisels I got down. :wink:
Hope! you make it, Cam.

Thomas, bring those CD's! Sorry, no turntable that's hooked up.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-04-25 20:30 ]

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 7:40 PM

Buzzy's the pro and the final word on all sharpening techniques, but for curved tools, I think you just rotate the chisel as you sharpen.

"How you make it, Cam."

What's that mean????

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 7:54 PM

I may not be able to come to the chop tomorrow. :( My son's baseball game is right in the middle of it, but if we get out of there at a decent time we'll try to head over. If we can't make it I'll see you at the luau next month. Don't have too much fun without me! :)

Zaya

Bill,

Can you play Ipod music through your home stereo?

or is it CD only

Im packed and ready to go.. damn I have a ton of crap

dang cant make it anymore, just founf out we need to audition replacement drummers this weekend. have fun everyone

Band BEFORE carving, Thomas!!?? Wassupwittat? I'm MOVING........BUYING A NEW HOUSE to carve(that, and condo life is for kids and old folks......just not in the same complex). I see how you are. Since we have no volcano, we're throwing you into the burning meth lab at the El Cajon Luau chop!!

I didn't have time for rum cake this month, but hows about some Mai Tai fixins instead? Babs and I can stop along the way and get some. Mai Tais, Kava, Musubi, doughnuts........and choco-cookies!

Happy heartburn, man. Worth every acidic burp you can muster!

Well here's another one I have to miss, wife reminded my of a birthday party in Temecula for a lil' 95 year old pistol of a gal that I love dearly! Chop one for me folks!

On 2008-04-25 20:59, Monkeyman wrote:
Bill,

Can you play Ipod music through your home stereo?

or is it CD only

It's CD AND cassette :P, no ipod, sorry.

Bummer you can't make it, Thomas and Birdman. Next time...

Is someone could grab a bag of ice, that would be great

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Apr 26, 2008 7:15 AM

Do NOT mix alcohol and Kava, Billy, it ain't healthy.

Also, they're exactly the opposite in effect; they'd end up cancelling each other out.

Can somebody click Billy's switch to "medium"?

B

Word up Wheeler,

I've got an auxiliary cable that will tie an iPod through a stereo...If you have red and white auxiliary inlets on the back of your stereo there, we're good to go.

Here comes the sun...looks like a nice day.

I would have been on my way right now! Damn....instead I'm gettin ready to lug furniture.

B

man ,to bad all this choppin stuff has to get in the way
of our eatin and drinkin

On 2008-04-25 23:40, Billy the Crud wrote:
Band BEFORE carving, Thomas!!?? Wassupwittat? I'm MOVING........BUYING A NEW HOUSE to carve(that, and condo life is for kids and old folks......just not in the same complex). I see how you are. Since we have no volcano, we're throwing you into the burning meth lab at the El Cajon Luau chop!!

haha sorry man, weve got a big show in june and we need to get a new drumemr up to speed asap. ill be at the mason lodge chop though! I just gotta stay clear of those meth labs...

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Apr 27, 2008 8:12 AM

Any pics??????

That was a perfect wrap-up to my mom's trip!

Billy was a perfect gentleman, and Mieko showed her the ropes.

Anyone else got pics? I'm going to pick up Tiki Trave for a BBQ and when I get back, I'll post some.

B

Having a killer Chop starts with the food!

Meiko had a great day!

Andy (Tmec) showed up today...We were all salivating and flappy lipped over this intense paddle...man, the carved ends on this paddle send shivers up my spine!

A man named Monkey was buzzing around like crazy...If any of you 2D guys out there in TC land want a custom frame for your work...Monkeyman is the dude to speak with.

Wheeler is always in a good mood...The Host with the most!

Billy + Kava = No back pain.

Buzzy hammered...

Kate glazes mugs that she built a few Chops ago.

This pretty girl (sorry forgot names) and her boyfriend (likes Kava) were a huge hit at the Chop today.

H2O and Gunner carving big...

The Skinny Dog Clan was there to carve! You two are the best!

Girls having fun! Lynnie thanks for making all that GREAT food!

Sharpening Demo.

Cujo...

ROCK THE CHOP!

Thank you Bill and Lynnie for such fantastic hospitality. I havent had a lunch spread like that in a long time. It was great.

Thanks also to all the Chop Chop crew for letting me hang for the day making a mess with my router.

I made a real dent in my current frame project and had some great conversation too.

Looking forward to attending again sometime.

MM & 4WD

Tikimecula

Meculas toolbox.

Mieko & mom, Can & mom

Cams Creepy anime' guy.

Tikimecula with his paddle. COOL shit, right there, man!

Kate, carving

Axe man Bill

Chinchilla Kate Goes ceramic

Babs, the reluctant bodhisatva of tiki

Mecula, Brian, Gunnar

Mieko, doing Hawaiian oregami with dollar bills

Makin' Kava

Buzzard and Buzzy, Brian and Gunnar

Ring makers go to wood!

New from Australia, Tiki Trav and his girl, Sarah

Kava, Trav?( I can't feel my tongue, mate......)

Sarah, enjoying the muddy Kava dust

Choppers, relaxing

Girls, Lynnie can make you a KILLER vintage repro bather or dress and her prices are amazing!!

Great chop, guys! I'm freakin' exhausted

See you all at the Luau!!!

C

"Babs, the reluctant bodhisatva of tiki"
Exactly!

And I knew Billy was going to become the Kava Mixologist. He's dedicated and motivated with new drugs in hand. We gotta get more Kava! - that's the last of the big pure stuff baggie.

That paddle was freaky amazing. It looked like 62 really talented German elves did it as their once-a-year present to Santa.

Hey there

Thanks to all we had a great day at the Chop.

Although my butt still hurts from perching on that stump for a couple of hours.

Thanks Lennie and Bill for the wonderful hospitality as always.

I have set up my chop area here at home so I can finish my tiki head (still just a mouth) and bring him back to show y'all.

I love day camp for grown-ups.

Jen (and Scott my Chop widow)

It was a fabulous day. I was so glad that I was able to get all of my mugs and shots glazed. This has been quite the learning experience. Can't wait to see how they look after they've been fired. Thanks Rick for letting me use your glaze stock. I think I owe you a jar of Peacock.

Looks like I can't make the luau next month, so would anyone be up to doing a smaller Chop on the 10th?

Looks like a great time. That paddle is AMAZING!!!!

On 2008-04-28 16:29, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Looks like I can't make the luau next month, so would anyone be up to doing a smaller Chop on the 10th?

I'm planning on having a small yard sale at my house on Saturday morning and was going to carve whilst I sell stuff. I was only planning on selling junk until about 10-1030 and then I was going to carve out back the rest of the day, so...

Visiting Artist Day at the House of Buzz on saturday the 10th.

Come on by one and all if you would care to carve with me at my house on Saturday. I have a couple of the usual suspects already confirmed, and am now making this invitation to the rest of y'all.

WARNING:
If you should decide to attend, you must be sure that understand the following: Prepare yourself for a day at the House of Buzz like you would for a weekend trip to Baja in 1990. Resources in the House of Buzz are akin to those in sunny Mexico before the Presedente Fox revolucion. Therefore, you must be able to be completely self sustainable for the entire duration of your stay, and bring all your necessary provisions with you. This may include some or all of the following: Food, water, emergency clothes and shelter, camp shower, first aid supplies, shade, chairs, ice, utensils, toiletries, water, and in only the most extreme of circumstances, a diesel generator. And just like Mexico, just because it looks like food, doesn't mean you can eat it, so if you find some food while you are here, please do not eat it. That goes for the condiments too.

Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 11:39 AM

Buzzy funny!

Thanks for helping me keep my perfect attendance record going, Buzzy.

See you Saturday.

M
mieko posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 12:03 PM

Excellent! I'll swing by for a bit, and I just got back from Baja, so I'm totally ready for camping. :)

I'll see what I can do. I'm having trouble getting people to comment on the Luau thread and need a head count. A little support would be much appreciated, guys. I'm knocking myself on this thing.

B

On 2008-05-07 11:28, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
And just like Mexico, just because it looks like food, doesn't mean you can eat it, so if you find some food while you are here, please do not eat it. That goes for the condiments too.

Del Taco is nearby so no worries!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 1:17 PM

Morena Blvd. just south of Buzzy's is a local treasure trove of cheap and great eats. Solai Bamboo is close by, too, kind of a small home-decorish Tikiland. I'll come by around noon.

I'm in! Sounds great, what with all the free planed logs, and all you can eat BBQ'd Buzzyburgers! How could I not go!?! Will there be just one keg?

B

hey buzzy,i'll probly stop by
my buddies chisels turned out to be mainly
straight chisels with alot of dings,oh well

On 2008-05-07 19:35, 4WDtiki wrote:
I'm in! Sounds great, what with all the free planed logs, and all you can eat BBQ'd Buzzyburgers! How could I not go!?! Will there be just one keg?

Hey 4WD, just for you I fixed up the yard today so you could have a nice place to picnic and eat your BuzzyBurgers:

Now all I have to do clean the food preparation area...

A little Buzzy floor spice makes everything taste nice!

I don't have a BBQ and my stove leaks gas...

I have a keg...

But it's like my mug collection and my kitchen: I absolutely cannot use them, ever!

If you spill something while you are over, don't look to me for a towel or anything. You're on your own. The dog does most of the cleaning anyway.

Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies