Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Best SF Bay Area thrift stores to find Tiki?

Pages: 1 11 replies

What bay area thrift stores are the best for Tiki? I haven't had much luck but I have found the odd mug here and there.

There is this thrift store, I think it is run by the Children's Hospital, near the Burger King with the PetSmart and 76 gas station that has had some really good pieces lately.
Not sure of the address though. :)

I am sorry bay area folk and Stu!! I was just wise assen. And throwing darts to see if I would be close to anything.
I am 400 miles south.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2008-04-12 07:49 ]

which city?

Wow, I'm born and raised in Oakland and I having been shopping the thrifts since I was eleven, and I don't know where you mean.

Children's Hospital (the main campus, that is) is on 52nd and MLK. Clausen House Thrift is only a couple block up from there (on Telegraph or Shattuck), but they're pretty small and, though I haven't been by in awhile, I've never found much in there.

What kind of Tiki are you looking for? Mugs? Clothing? Witco? I'm sorry to say, we're pretty picked out.

J

I have found more tiki in one day at the Alameda Point Antiques & Collectibles Faire than in all the thrifts I've visited in the past 2 years (well, except for that $1.50 Tiki Bob mug at the Salvation Army :wink: ). The only catch is that it only takes place on the first Sunday of each month.

:) I am sorry bay area folk and Stu!! I was just wise assen. And throwing darts to see if I would be close to anything. :)
I am 400 miles south.

Try shops near military bases where retirees may live. You would get more and nicer aloha shirts than mugs in those areas. Mugs will be hit and miss anywhere.

Sorry I'm a dork.
Cheers,
Erik :drink:

It's cool! I totally thought you had in inroad to some secret place - I was like, "oh! Oh where?!" :o :wink:

Yeah, what JenTiki said, Alameda Point is very good (probably for the reason Mr. NoNaMe said).

MT

I would have to back up what JenTiki and Haole'akamai say about the monthly antiques fair at the old naval air station at Alameda Point. There are some good finds to be had there, however, the place is not dripping with tiki mugs and other related items. And there is an entrance fee to get in, so true thrift shop hunters might balk at that.

If you are in the Sacramento area, the Antique Trove (right off 80 on the way to Reno, in Roseville) always has mugs. They carry everything from kitsch to mission. It is a huge place and fun to shop there, but you probably won't find any rare mugs at a good price, cause the vendors know what they have and charge accordingly.

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2008-04-12 19:03 ]

I checked out the Clausen House Thrift today, nothing to be found there. I know you were foolin' NoNaMe, but I went by anyway! All the TCers must have taken you seriously and picked it over before me.
I'll have to check out the Alameda Point dealy, I have heard a lot about it. Whether I can get up early on a Sunday morning for first picks is another story..

I always get up early for the Alameda Antique fair. I even leave things for others...sometimes...:)

If they tell you then there will be nothing left for them......

:wink:

Sorry, I am seven years out of date on the thrift in your area. The only secret I can share is diligence! Hit the same circuit of stores on a regular basis. Find out from those stores what there schedule is for new arrivals and arrive as close to that time as you can.

We used to go to Saver's in Redwood City every week right after their truck would show up. It took a while, but we made some major scores from that one store alone.

Pages: 1 11 replies