Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki drinks seminar at Sams in Chicago, July 31

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

Hi all!

I have been asked to lead a Tropical Drinks seminar at Sams' South Loop location on July 31.

I'll be preparing three drinks, and there will be samples of all of them included in the ticket price; I think at least one will be a full drink.

http://www.samswine.com/summer-mean-tiki-drinks-p-10069439.html

Hope to see some TC-ers there!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-31 05:29 ]

T

I just (finally) talked the Sams people into offering a lower ticket price that does NOT include a copy of the book, so all of you people who want to come down and quaff three tropical drinks for the $12 non-book admission fee are invited and welcome to do so.

($25 for a book and admission - a good deal if you need a copy of Tiki Road Trip)

Order on line WITH a book here:

http://www.samswine.com/summertime-means-tiki-drinks-p-10069439.html

..but you have to call the store or pay at the door to get the cheaper, bookless admission.

See you all there.

Good luck, James - looks like it will be a great time.

Beyond the TC support, hopefully you'll gain some converts from any uninitiated folks in the store - it's always great when people have their first "real" tiki drink.

"That's not a mai tai, you didn't put orange juice in it and it's not even red!"

Oy.

if you get to do another, please try making it on a saturday. unfortunately we cant make the 2-3 hour trek up on a weekday. good luck and have fun! ...what an awsome place to do it at too.

T

I'll be making Polynesian Spell, Test Pilot and Mai Tai (a Donn drink, a Vic drink, and a drink from a famous Tiki bar - Poly Spell is from Kahiki).

Looks like ticket sales are rather brisk, so this ought to be a cool event (I am not getting paid to do this - other than for the books... I just thought it would be fun!).

Point is, three drinks and a book for $25 (or just three drinks for $12) is a helluva deal, so come on down!

Hope to see some fo you there!

..i apologize folks...... .....this was not meant to be a personal attack on james that some of you have mistakenly interpreted it as ....in fact james wasn't even as offended by it in his p.m. to me as some of you more sensitive folks were in regards to this.....nonetheless, in the spirit of playing nice-nice, i have deleted the one and only picture i had posted of him that i had, unflattering as it were........i do not carry out personal campaigns against james or any other tiki central member (with one exception,and i've even refrained from that for some time)....aside from the occasional ribbing of each other now and then, james and i get along just fine...but thank you for bringing my poor behavior to my attention.....sometimes i just need to be kept in line......

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-31 05:29 ]

bump

Hey James, any chance you'll be doing another seminar at the Sam's in Downs Grove?
We don't get home from work in time tonight to make it out the South Loop location.
Have a good time.

N

Albino Tiki and myself made it to Sam's last night and enjoyed James' presentation a great deal. Even though the sample drinks were small, they packed quite a wallop. It's amazing how a drink you aren't accustomed to can be so potent, while the ones you drink all the time go down one after another with minimal effect.

The crowd was an eclectic mix of folks, about 15 of us, spanning what looked like ages 21 to 65 or so, with attire ranging from a Hawaiian shirt wearing couple to men in fairly formal business garb (I wore my Tiki-Ti shirt).

James was humorous and charming, and I think my fiancee fell in love with him when he told the story about naming a drink after John Taylor of Duran Duran (my fiancee is a life-long devotee of Taylor's).

I think we all learned a little bit and it was great to meet James and the co-owner of North Shore distillery that was assisting him (sorry, I've forgotten her name).

[ Edited by: Numatiki 2008-08-01 21:33 ]

T

Mel, the people who were running this even were very pleased with the way things turned out, so if you want to see one at another Sams location, bug the Sams managers about it, and we'll see what happens.

Tipsy, yeah, thanks for removing the shittiest pic of me ever taken.
Ouch!
Yeah, I know it was all in fun.
No worries.

Numa - hey I didn't realize you guys were TC-ers when we chatted.
The lady from North Shore was named Sonja.

Here's the Rio Gimlet (as posted a few weeks ago on another thread):

My pal wanted a Gimlet.
I am happy to oblige all requests, but (naturally) I refuse to buy Rose's lime swill.
So I began to make a lime syrup of fresh lime juice and simple syrup. Then I got the idea to use John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum instead of simple syrup.
Came out pretty good, but of course it is not a Gimlet, so I had to give it a new name.
Could have called it a Barbados Gilet (since JDT's Falernum is made in Barbados), but I called it a Rio instead, just to be cryptic.
Now the cat is out of the bag!

Rio Gimlet
1.5 gin,
1 Taylor's Falernum,
.75 lime,
1 dash orange bitters.
Shake with ls of ice and strain into cocktail glass.

F
fenrir posted on Sat, Aug 2, 2008 5:12 PM

I'm sorry I had to miss this, Hopefully there will be another soon.

Pages: 1 11 replies