Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Orange County Tiki Crawl 3/29/03

Pages: 1 2 3 4 162 replies

S

Join us for the Second Annual OC Tiki Crawl! The party begins with a Tiki Potluck at Bamboo Ben's at 4:30 pm . From there we will board the Tiki Bus to the Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach; Billy's in Newport Beach; and Sam's Seafood in Surfside:

Saturday, March 29, 2003

The schedule for this event is as follows:

4:30 PM Pre-Crawl Party
Bamboo Ben's
712 Yorktown, Huntington Beach
(right off Beach Blvd)

Feel free to bring your favorite dish, pupus, or drinks to share with the tribe!

6:30 PM Tiki Bus Departs for Royal Hawaiian (The Bus is Full! 50 person capacity - see page 3 for details)

7:00 PM - Royal Hawaiian
8:30 PM - Billy's at the Beach
10:00 PM - Sam's Seafood
12:00 PM - Back to Bamboo Ben's

For those riding the Tiki Bus (see page 3) we will leave Bamboo Ben's shop at 6:30 PM sharp! Remember, please plan to arrive between 4:30 and 6 pm for pupus and lapus!

Those that not riding on the bus are welcome join us at any or all of the stops.

See you on March 29!

Aloha,

Arty

Peace, Love & Tiki!

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-14 11:27 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-22 16:09 ]

A

We're in
Mahalo,
Al

Pop is in.

T

There's a Tiki restaurant in Laguna Beach? I am there!

:tiki:

A

If anyone wants to stop by for a cocktail at the Lagoon Room before the RH, let me know. Yoa are all welcome.
Mahalo,
Al

T

Bong and Madam Bong are in. Should we do a bus gig or not? We could all head to the Lagoon room first, the RH. Either way, sounds like a fine hangover to me!

Mr. & Mrs. Bamboo are in.
p.s. who did that song? 60's garage band?

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen on 2003-03-04 09:06 ]

S

Did someone say, "Lagoon Room?"

Here's what I was initially thinking if we got the Tiki Bus.

5:00ish - Meet at Bamboo Ben's
6:00ish - Board the Tiki Bus & Depart
6:30ish - Arrive at Royal Hawaiian for Pupus & Lapus (it's early but you know how crowded they get on Saturday night). Or we can make reservations for a later time in the restaurant depending on how many people are in.

We could do just about anything after that. Li's, Billy's at the Beach, Sam's, whatever.

Bong, did we rent by the hour last time? We could have the bus take us to the Lagoon Room but that might be a "3 hour tour" altogether (roundtrip).

If we do the Lagoon Room, then we might scratch the idea of the bus. We could meet at the Lagoon Room first and then head for the RH.

Thoughts, anyone? Anyone?

Aloha,

Arty

As Tiki as I wanna be.

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-04 10:38 ]

If we go to the Lagoon Room first then I'm sure by the time we need to leave for dinner, I will be in NO condition to drive! I am however, open to anything so Arty, put an itinerary together and I'll find a designated driver no matter what the cost - even if I have to stop at the Home Depot parking lot and pay someone...

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-04 10:41 ]

Uncle Arty,

I think if we did the Lagoon Room, the bus probably wouldn't economically work out well.

If we did the bus, we could all meet at my hut, have the bus pick us up there, then hit any tiki establishment we wanted to in the general area.

If we included the Lagoon Room (one of my personal favorites) maybe we could carpool.

Let's bring this up for immediate discussion now so we can plan it soon!

Who's in?

In.

I already said! Stop nagging me, Bong!

That weekend works for me! I'm up for either idea - Bus from Bong's or Car-pooling from The Lagoon Room. I'll be imbibing carefully anyway, as I will probably need to get Doctor-Z and Z-Girl safely home at the end of the evening.

Sabu

T

Traderpup, you going or not man!

Allright, I'm gonna take a stand for the sake of constructive debate - we meet at my hut for drinks, jump on the bus, bombard the Royal Hawaiian with our bombastic bafoonery, jump back on the bus, cruise to Sam's and finish off the night.

If anyone has ideas on some more stops, which there are MANY I'm missing, fill in the spaces.

P.S. We will definately need the Al and Shelly Weak Ass Drink (AASWAD) modification drink system (version 3.08487757)

F

I'm in!

On 2003-03-04 14:12, Tiki_Bong wrote:
...we meet at my hut for drinks, jump on the bus, bombard the Royal Hawaiian with our bombastic bafoonery, jump back on the bus, cruise to Sam's and finish off the night.

If anyone has ideas on some more stops, which there are MANY I'm missing, fill in the spaces.

How far out would it be to add the Purple Orchid to this crawl? Also, what would you guys think of starting earlier in the afternoon? We could add some spots such as Bamboo Ben's, House of Tiki, etc. to make it interesting...

S

Man, this thing's starting to roll!

Okay, Bong. I hear you volunteering to coordinate the bus to meet at Bongo's Hut.

Can I get a witness?!

Anyhoo, I think the PO's way too far out and we made the mistake of including too many stops last time and did not have much of visit to RH.

So I concur with Bong's plan to meet at his place. Those that want to get an early start can stop by House of Tiki and Bamboo Ben's en route to "Bong's Joint" (is that a redundant name?! :wink: )

Hey maybe the day outing can be a kind of Tiki scavenger hunt! Something from House of Tiki, something from Ben's...

Anyhoo, just some thoughts.

Trader Pup, are you in or what?!

Although I've wanted to make it to the Lagoon Room for some time now, I think that the bus from Bong's would make more sense. Plus, we may have a little taste of the 'Smokin' Menuhuenes' to give you all by that time.

If we are gonna get a bus, we may as well do a full on bar crawl. I think that three musts are, of course, the Royal Hawiian, Sam's, and Billy's by the Beach (which happens to be right in between the first two places in Newport).

Also, Arty is right, we need to do the Royal Hawiian early and first because it is a pre-party spot for a dance club in Laguna and gets super busy.

After that, hit Billy's in Newport for some really strong tropical drinks (the navy grog really does it) and decore by the boys at OA.

Finially, to the So. Cal tiki headquarters at Sam's to finish it off. If we call ahead and let 'em know what we're doing, I'm sure they'll stay open later for us. After all, Jeff (the bartender) did name a drink after our group.

Then, back to Bong's to throw up on his lawn.

Also; Ben, Dick Dale did the song, 'Let's Go Trippin'. Very nice touch Arty.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-03-04 15:04 ]

S

LD,

It's been years since I've been to Billy's but I seem to recall that they make a decent Mai Tai. No Tikis either as I recall but Hawaiian theme and bamboo decor and work done by Leroy, right?

May have to make a test run this weekend to give a full endorsement.

I may have to meet you there to make sure the drinks are still what they were. And actually, there are a couple of tikis out front and some cool lamps on the newly developed patio bar.

S

Excellent idea!

I didn't know Tiki was there. I think we gone to code orange now, kids! A must do!

Hey! Ho! Let's go!

On 2003-03-04 14:55, Luckydesigns wrote:
Although I've wanted to make it to the Lagoon Room for some time now, I think that the bus from Bong's would make more sense. Plus, we may have a little taste of the 'Smokin' Menuhuenes' to give you all by that time.

If we are gonna get a bus, we may as well do a full on bar crawl. I think that three musts are, of course, the Royal Hawiian, Sam's, and Billy's by the Beach (which happens to be right in between the first two places in Newport).

Also, Arty is right, we need to do the Royal Hawiian early and first because it is a pre-party spot for a dance club in Laguna and gets super busy.

After that, hit Billy's in Newport for some really strong tropical drinks (the navy grog really does it) and decore by the boys at OA.

Finially, to the So. Cal tiki headquarters at Sam's to finish it off. If we call ahead and let 'em know what we're doing, I'm sure they'll stay open later for us. After all, Jeff (the bartender) did name a drink after our group.

Then, back to Bong's to throw up on his lawn.

This plan makes the most sense. No offense Arty, but if you're trying to reduce the number of spots to visit, then why do the bus at all? Hiring the bus to go to two stops doesn't make sense. Just 2 weekends ago, we did Bahooka, Hale Hawaii and Purple Orchid on our own - without a bus! The point of the bus is to allow us to visit a number of spots without drinking and driving, right? I say we take advantage of it and make it a true excursion - not just "a ride" from Royal Hawaiian to Sam's Seafood.

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-04 15:28 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-04 15:29 ]

S

I think you misunderstand me, Popster.

Tentatively speaking, I always thought there would be a third stop somewhere between RH and Sam's. I'm open to anything, man!

Billy's works well because it's just about the midpoint between RH and Sam's. Just want to be safe and sane! Hence the bus suggestion.

Lucky D and I were talking about sampling the drinks at Billy's this weekend just to get a feel for da place. TC stamp of approval!

Do you concur, Lucky D?

Okee-Dokeee. You guys know I'm down for anything. I still think it would be good to change things up a little. If the concern is too many stops, then we should just start the crawl a little earlier.

My 2 cents....

T

All right folks, let's gather some ideas until, say Thursday of this week. On Friday I'll start setting up a solid itinerary.

Poly Pop, I think Purple Orchid is way too far. We got lots of cool tiki places within a 15 mile radius.

But, the Popster has a good idea he's gonna check on. It may have something to do with a stop in South Orange County. Maybe some sort of factory that might make stuff we're into.

It will definately begin with some drinks at Bong's Tiki Hut though. Lucky D and I may make you suffer through a short set of some hapa haole tunes we've been polishing up (Crazy Al, bring your coconuts (if ya know what I mean)).

T

There's also Harpoon Harry's just down the road from Sam's.... really cool heavy nautical theme a la sunken shipwrecks, loads of aquariums.... it is worth at least a quickie stop!

If The Smokin' Menehunes are playing, count me in!

Whew!

The Smokin' Menehunes is only the name of Bong & Lucky's band? That's a relief!

I was worried that it might be something I would catch from eating Bong's food and drink - and that I might be running to the boy's room the whole rest of the night.

Ok. I'm still in.

Sabu

Traderpup - Why don't you join us? We could even go to Harpoon Harry's. They have a cool nautical-theme with lots of aquariums.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-03-04 18:04 ]

T

Man, it doesn't take long for the So Cali's to get something happening does it! What, Arty posted this yesterday and it's already a full-blown event!

(Traderpup, if you're gonna be a fuddy-duddy and not join us, maybe you should just join some chess group instead.)

S

Things are really gettin' wierd now! The Smokin' Menehunes, Crazy Al + Wierd Uncle?!

That's one Luau not to be missed!

Hey, as long as we make it to the Royal Hawaiian, I'm cool with whateva!

With this crowd just being on the bus is half the fun, anyhoo.

Traderpup, please join us!

T

Hey, Bong! I signed you up too:

Chess Palace

The communal bus transit was possibly the most fun part of the last OC Crawl for me! It became funnier with each stop as we became more intoxicated. We sang and sang.
This appears to be less an isolated incident than a proclivity as we sang obnoxiously on another bus together (with Normals on board no less) on our way to the Huntington Harbor cruise at Christmas. We get on a bus, we sing.

Count me in too!
Has anyone else heard of the rumors that the Royal Hawaiian is haunted with the ghosts of some of their past dearly departed patrons?

So,

What I get out of all of this is that we're going on a bus and going to MONDO TIKI, then TIKI OASIS, then the HUKILAU?

There were enough places last time but not enough "time." My 2 cents say 3 places are perfect. Just "more time" in each place(except Li's). Maybe a majority vote while in each place this time? Who wants to stay? Who wants to go?. The louder answer wins. I think last time we were all paroniod if one of us was an internet wack job/slasher and kinda went with the plan. This time around, maybe we could be a little looser. Remember, the reason for the bus? It avoids the 10,000 $ dui! THAT'S 10k WORTH of MORE TIKI STUFF!!

Bongs? RH? BILLY'S? SAMS? Bongs Lawn?
Sounds TIKI to me!(maybe we could tell Sven the wrong time so he has to chase the bus again. that would be funny!) (just joking Mr. Big Bro!)( he'll probably show up in a limo from his "e-bay sale of the century!)

T

On 2003-03-04 22:11, floratina wrote:
The communal bus transit was possibly the most fun part of the last OC Crawl for me! It became funnier with each stop as we became more intoxicated. We sang and sang.
This appears to be less an isolated incident than a proclivity as we sang obnoxiously on another bus together (with Normals on board no less) on our way to the Huntington Harbor cruise at Christmas. We get on a bus, we sing.

COOOOL. You're gonna do that up here in SF too, right?!?

L
laney posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2003 4:51 AM

I'd love to join you guys but if you're going to RH for dinner I'll pass. I'd rather have GOOD food if I'll be taking the night off work. So I think I'll have my friend take me to Tuna Town on Main Street, for sushi, drinks, etc. So if you all can get an itinerary together, I can meet up with everyone in HB (I'm sooo not a singer anyway) If you can allow so much time in each place instead of voting to stay or leave. I know there were others on the first crawl who joined later also.
A fond memory from the last crawl (where Sugar Caddy and I met up with the bus of drunks at Sam's) was Sven sitting next to me selling me on the idea that, you all, were an internet group of people into tiki (mind you, I was wearing a Hawaiian top, a tiki necklace, flowers in my hair, and a vintage fish tank purse) I said, "I know, I've talked with you before." Introductions came next... and Sven admitted that he thought I was a guy (from my TC posts.) Yes, it's nice to put faces to names.

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-03-05 04:53 ]

S

Hey Laney,

Never been to Tuna Town, but we always go to The Longboard next door and Aloha Grill above. Do they have other food besides sushi? I hear that place is owned by the dude from Korn.

Anyhoo, I am in favor of a 3 bar stop thang (RH, Billy's & Sam's with Bong's Hut as the anchors). I am less interested in making a trek to some tiki type merchandise place in South County if such a place even exists.

On 2003-03-05 08:40, stentiki wrote:
I am in favor of a 3 bar stop thang (RH, Billy's & Sam's with Bong's Hut as the anchors). I am less interested in making a trek to some tiki type merchandise place in South County if such a place even exists.

Well, such a place does exist (which I think you would really enjoy) however, if you are not interested in checking it out then we'll leave it off the list. It looks like you have an itinerary all worked out already so why don't we just finalize it at that.

I've seen a few cool suggestions here (Lagoon Room, Harpoon Harry's, Sam's, etc) that I think would be cool to include but it seems like they're all being ignored.

So -- let me know what, where and when and I'll just go with whatever happens...

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-05 08:59 ]

T

OK, before I start the list, this is how I see the gig shaping up: Meet at Bamboo Bens at 4:30; get on bus at 6:30 and sing like drunken sailors; hit Royal Hawaiian for a while; get back on bus and sing like drunken sailors; hit Billy's for a while; get back on bus and sing like drunken sailors; hit Sam's for a while; get on bus and throw up.

As Ali'i Ben says, the bus is a big part of the fun, and it's better than a condo in Totally Fucked-up-ville courtesy Newport PD. The bus holds 50 people, so we'll divide the cost among the riders.

If I added someone on the list that isn't going, let me know. Otherwise here it is:

1 Arty
2 Tina
3 Al
4 Shelly
5 Polynesian Pop (you're kids forgot you)
6 Traderpup (maybe)
7 Bong
8 Madam Bong
9 Mr Bamboo
10 Mrs Bamboo Ben
11 ChikiTiki
12 Sabu the Coconut Boy
13 Mr Christian
14 Dr Z
15 Z Girl
16 Floratina
17 Lucky Designs
18 Lucky D' Gal
19 WeirdUncleTiki
20 Tiki Rider Five-O
21 Lapurocker
22 Crazy Al
23 Baxdog
24 Kukuinut
25 Trustar
26 Littlesusan
27 Ukulele Girl (Smokin Menehunes Uke player)
28 Johnny Velour
29 Lady Velour
30 Piphirho
31 Trustars Son
32 Chef & friend (Lucky D's friend)
33 Lapu's girl
34 Seema
35 Kimiyo
36 Mad Mark
37 Ukulele Girls sister
38 & 39 Don & Michele Stewart (Bong's future Uku player)
40 Mr Holden 'Tiki Farm'
41 KC "Beachdude Inc" Keylin
42 Sven "Bigbro" Kirsten
43 Sven's gal Naomi
44 Ship Wreck Joey
45 Mrs Wreck
46 Ms TikiMadness 1
47 Ms TikiMadness 2
48 Ms TikiMadness 3
49 Mrs ChikiTiki
50 Luna & OUT!

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-23 07:47 ]

Sounds good to me. What are we looking at for costs?

T

Laney, Take the bus! Its what really makes the event! And don't worry about not singing, I don't sing, so I need a credible lip-sync partner to help fool the masses....!

Or, maybe I'll just go to Harpoon Harry's and moon y'all as ya roll by!

800 each!!!

Harpoon Harry's?? I don't think they will let us in there. None of us are 60+!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen on 2003-03-05 09:23 ]

T

I'll cover the drinks at my hut, but the bus ride costs about $20 per person last time.

Also, if Madam and I decide not to have hot food, maybe some folks could bring chips, dip, and spam masubi!

S

How about Li's Egg Rolls!?

I'd be happy to bring 'em if that won't be too much trouble.

NN2

I would love to join you guys (and girls), but can't say for sure yet. Have to coordinate the Misses schedule and a babysitter. So maybe I'll meet up with you guys as you roll through Newport. Would love to actually meet some of you people face to face. Remember Ben pretend like we don't know each other, no stories about rakes and shovels.

Nui,
If she catch's wind of it we'll just pretend we're talkin about Tiki Farm!!!

Pot luck Pu Pu's in exchange for Booze at Bongs sounds good to me! I'll bring the Poi!

S

On 2003-03-05 09:04, Tiki_Bong wrote:
The bus holds about 20 people, so we'll divide the cost among the riders.

Arty & Tina
Al & Shelly
Polynesian Pop (you're kids forgot you)
Traderpup (maybe)
Bong & Madam Bong
Mr & Mrs Bamboo Ben
ChikiTiki (& the Mrs ?)
Sabu the Coconut Boy (& Tikibelle ?)
Dr Z & Z Girl
Floratina
Lucky Designs
WeirdUncleTiki
Tiki Rider Five-O

Are we gonna need a bigger boat?

Here we go again, folks. C'Al has gotta go too, it was too funny when he dropped his nuts and we were all looking for them.Yes on Bong's pot-luck.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 162 replies