Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Orange County Tiki Crawl 3/29/03

Pages: 1 2 3 4 162 replies

Uncle Arty, yeah, Li's eggrolls would be great. We have plates and stuff.

I think the bus we got last time held 20 but we could put more in. Also, I've noticed some people may want to meet up later and not take the bus (suckers!). We could always get a bigger bus.

Bamboo Ben, can you email me with the bus company we used last time. My brain cells that held that information are long gone now.

Nui Nui2, post as soon as you know if you and the misses are going on the bus.

(Oh, we're going on a Tiki Crawl, a Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Crawl. Everybody loves the Tiki Crawl, where Li's eggrolls are the kau kau on the Tiki Crawl. Oh we throw Baxdog's ass out into the sea, and all the Ama Ama start taking a pee ...)

At the SF Crawl and the OC Crawl we will perhaps be blessed with the presence of Iuka Grogg. We will need his uke expertise to really pull the singin-thang together.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-03-05 13:38 ]

L
laney posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2003 10:55 AM

Yes, David, the drummer of Korn is half owner. He is a friend of Cory's so we always get taken care of there. David is an active owner and there often (good looking and charming for the ladies out there). The sushi is excellent (I'm not a sushi or fish person) but I just crave the crunchy roll (like a tempura shrimp roll) and the seared Ahi just melts in your mouth. They also make a flaming spicy tuna roll thing that is just yummy! Damn it! I'm wanting sushi and it's 9:40 AM! I don't think it matters who owns a joint as much as who makes the sushi or food (Cory also knows one of the sushi chefs). My son has had the teriyaki chicken and it, too, was excellent. My sister, not a sushi person (from Mass. an amazing cook, who used to own a catering business) came with a group of us a little while ago and was very impressed! Anyone is welcome to join us if they want.

We actually did a "crawl" similar to this a little over a week ago on a Thurs. but not tiki. We had Tuna Town for dinner, hit The Fling (the cheesiest bar in all of OC) closed down and after hours at The Continental Room in down town Fullerton (another small great lounge) These are must see if you're in the area!
Cory's in-so we'll meet up, but I need Tuna Town if I'm down there!

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-03-05 11:00 ]

Laney,

I'm sorry for what I'm about to say, but - it DOES matter who owns the sushi bar! I am a purist in a number of things and sushi is one.

How exactly would you know a good sushi bar if you're not into sushi and only eat "crunchy rolls" and "spicy tuna". This is NOT sushi. There are a number of true sushi bars that would scoff at a request for 'spicy tuna' or 'California roll'.

A true sushi chef is one that spent 5 to 8 years in training doing nothing more than prep'ing rice, salad and fish. The next 5 years he MAY start preparing sushi. Emphasis on MAY.

Saying that the place downtown on Main street is a sushi bar is like saying Jimmy Buffet is exotica because it has some sort of tropical nature to it.

I've seen more than 1 sushi bar fail in my town, and I'll see how this one fares in a year or 2.

Now, I appreciate you and your posts so please excuse my typical a-hole critcal comments

Have a nice day!

(shouldn't someone in Korn open a corndog on a stick outfit at the mall)

Bong,

You can cross Tikibelle off of the bus tally. Unfortunately her Spring Break ends just as our Tiki fun begins. This long-distance love-affair is grueling:

Sat, March 8th - Sabu & Tikibelle work the Renaissance Faire in Phoenix

Sat, March 15th - Tikibelle & Sabu go to Disneyland

Sat, March 22nd - Sabu & Tikibelle attend full-costume Victorian Ball in Pasadena

Sun, March 23rd - Tikibelle returns to Flagstaff

Sat, March 29th - An unconsolable Sabu is broken from his despondancy by being thrown into a bus with 20 insane tikiphiles to go drinking at tiki bars all over town.

Sun, March 30th - Sabu goes to church to do penance. Bong in bathroom with bad case of the Smokin' Menehunes.

That about sums up my schedule for the next few weekends. Torques my wingnuts.

Sabu

S

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-04-04 10:42 ]

OKay guys....I'm back. And we're goin' to drink some of my namesake's. Life is good. I've been on a mini-multiple vacation. Ready to get back to work. Tiki/Drinki. I'm there.

[ Edited by: LapuRocker on 2003-03-05 15:21 ]

L
laney posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2003 4:26 PM

If I may, Bong (submission my ass) I was answering a question as to if they have anything other than sushi there. They have more traditional things there but those just aren't my taste. I was even surprised I liked the Ahi being a fish hater myself.
I love the analogies poeple (not just Bong) here make. Saying Tuna Town sucks because the owner and others didn't work in rice fields for years is like saying something's not tiki if it didn't come from Polynesia. Have you eaten there? Try something new, you may (gasp) like it. BTW, I'll be seeing you backstage, sucka!

T

Uncle Arty,

Laney knows I'm probably joking.

Maybe it's time for "What the F*$&'s up with Bong" -

I've heard through the grapevine that some members have asked a certain member that I hang with "what's up with Bong, is he a a$* hole or what?".

You see folks, I'm really probably a nice, well, acceptable, well, tolerable guy. I mean hanging out with me is probably better the hanging with Saddam (except he has a cooler palace and more guns).

All my spastic scholastic life I was the class clown. I always thought "hey, no need to study or actually do any homework. Just be funny, make the kids laugh, piss the teacher off".

Luckily for me I went to school in the '70's, when anyone could graduate high (if you know what I mean) school.

Yeah, I get off on a tangent every now and then when the meds wear off and my prescription is out. Yeah, I seem to be an ultra-critical, pompus wacko on odd numbered Tuesdays and Thursdays in months that start with J, F, M, A, M, J, J, A, S, O, N, and D.

But if you can stand my BS for a few years, after a while you get used to it (probably).

(I guess I wasn't like this before the 'incident' at Jiffy Lube. I distinctly told the guy 'lube' not 'boob'. But I digress.)

Anyway, I tell ya all what. I'll more than likey, probably, tone it down a bit. Live and let Live I just might start saying. Hey, if someone else has a different opinion, I'm just gonna accept it. I mean isn't that what the 23 Amendment is all about?

So, live aloha (or I'll kill you)

You guys crack me up!

T

Jeez Lapu,

We never hear from you until free booze is mentioned. Lucky said you were a tight wad. But seeing how you hanging with us at Kona, you're in!

S

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-04-04 10:43 ]

Bong-just for the personal edification....
19th amendment you want to drink but you can't PROHIBITION. 20th amendement- in 1920, yes the recent past, your grandma finally got her right to vote. 21st amendment--you want to drink and you can because you're 21. REPEAL OF PROHIBITION. 22-I don't know. and 23-- What is it?

[ Edited by: tikifille on 2003-03-05 22:32 ]

Bong, don't change nothing bro.

Arty, it looks like my girfriend's parents are coming to town this weekend so you may have to check out Billy's on your own. I guess sometimes that's the way it's gotta be.

I still stand by Billy's being on the tour. Hopefully by the time of the tour it'll be warm enough to hang out on the outdoor patio.

We are definately going to need a bigger boat. We are well over the twenty person mark.

OK Bong just shut your stupid fluff hole.
And be proud of the fact that you are in the fuckin ashole club, don't be scared to say it or type it.
Remember no kids aloud, you don't have to edit.
Speaking of kids, the other nite we had swim lessons in our pool, the gunny sacks worked so well I think that KuKui nut and myself will be on the bus and ready to party.

Hey is Trader Pup going? Has he been hangin with Lapu on vacation?

Sten don't even think of peeing in my territory Bong's leg is mine.

Does Laney eat shoe-she
I am bringinginginging some orange chicken

Hey bong I sold the sparklets bottle to the local day care for making Hi-C that 5 spot will come in handy

I think the boat is going to sink

Look for the union label

What time do we have to hang in that stew-ped garage

OH and buy the way I have all the spools I need, so stop tryinginginging so hard

Does POP have kids?

...and Bax comes off the top ropes with the flying meatgrinder. Very funny stuff, although the swim lesson thing is kind of disturbing.

L
laney posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2003 3:30 AM

Bong, way to tuck your tail between your legs. You just don't want me to come on that bus and kick your ass! :P I know you often speak from that other hole.

Actually, I can understand your not liking trendy restaurants (I often don't) but can't understand your putting something down until you've tried it. If you read this post it started as, let's go to Royal Hawaiian. I'd rather drive-thru than eat an over-priced dry steak (really tastes like shoe!) I also said that my friend, Cory (who some of you have met) is friends with the owners so we get treated very well there and uses a certain chef he's known for years. I have yet to have a bad time there, drinking or eating, and the RH is 0 for 1 with me.

I think chiki said it best

On 2003-03-05 22:38, thechikitiki wrote:
Bong, don't change nothing bro.

Real English=change everything. Sorry, I'm more dominant than submissive. Bring it on-"water off a duck's back." Really, love you guys and I'm just a sweet delicate young lady, so don't f__k with me! Laney

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-03-06 03:31 ]

S

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-04-04 10:44 ]

On 2003-03-06 03:30, laney wrote:
Bong, way to tuck your tail between your legs.
I'd rather drive-thru than eat an over-priced dry steak (really tastes like shoe!)

Sorry, I'm more dominant than submissive. Bring it on-"water off a duck's back." Really, love you guys and I'm just a sweet delicate young lady, so don't f__k with me! Laney

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-03-06 03:31 ]

Laney, that wasn't my tail between my legs, but I can understand your confusion. So, when have you tasted shoe leather - do you do some boot licking with your dominatrix stuff? Actually, I only threw the invite out to you in order to fill the bus, but since we're full...

Anyway, Those going: I've reserved the bus. It holds 28 people so we have a few more to go as we currently have 21. The cost is $51/hour plus 20% gratuity and I reserved it for 4 hours, but we can extend it longer at the same rate; we'll divide the cost between all those going.

I've decided to order those kalbi ribs I had at the Kona Lanes Bowl, Arty's bringing those killer egg rolls from Li's, Baxdog's bring orangechicken, and I'll get some rice also.

Be at Bongs by at least 5:00pm but you can come earlier; the bus will be at my place at 6:30. We'll need time to eat, drink and suckface.

Baxdog, Madam Bong gave me a water dispenser for Christmas; I'll fill it up with Lapu Lapu.

Get ready to party like is 2099!

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

PolyPop, your children have forgotten you!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-06 17:56 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-07 09:59 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-04-03 16:19 ]

S

Aloha, Tribe!

I changed the name of the post to reflect the nature of this event and put together a tentative schedule on the first post. Here is the updated copy.

Join us for a wild ride on the Tiki Bus to the Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach; Billy's in Newport Beach; and Sam's Seafood in Surfside:

Saturday, March 29, 2003

The tentative schedule for this event is as follows:

5:00 PM - Meet at Tiki Bong's Hut for Pupus & Lapus
6:30 PM - Board the Tiki Fun Bus to Royal Hawaiian for Mai Tais and Lapus
8:30 PM - Billy's at the Beach
10:00 PM - Sam's Seafood
12:00 AM - Back to Bong's

Keep in mind that this schedule is TENTATIVE and subject to change depending on the bus. Just wanna give the Tiki Peeps an idea of what to expect for those riding and those that may want to join us at one of the stops.

That's all for now.

T

Hey! Where have I been????

Count Trustar & LittleSusan in on the bus. Even if I have to bungee my ass on to the top, I'll be there.

See you all then, if not before!

Trustar

T

Hey Trustar,

Glad you and Susan can make it. It's been a while since we did the mega swill at Bahooka.

Bong, Arty,

Please add my friend Christian to the list for the bus! Chris' presence has been crucial to many of my tiki parties when bongos or other impromptu instruments have been suddenly called for.

Bong, Lucky and he can all compare rock bands they've been in, and he's also a special-effects/mechanical props wizard in Hollywood, so if any of you have been wondering how to make your tikis walk and talk, he may have some good ideas.

And he is definitly not afraid of rum.

Sabu

T

TB

Been hanfing out in your neighborhood lately, looking for apartments/houses. Spent last Sunday looking and will prob make the tour again on Saturday. We could be new "neighbors from hell!". We're heading to the new Hyatt in HB that with my brother, who did the designing in the resturant there. Maybe you and Debbie can join us. E-mail me [email protected]

Tiki ciao , what all growing tikis eat.

Trustar

OK, Am I still considered a Tight-Wad If I HAVE NO MONEY It's not that I choose not to spend it.....when I have it I'm smokin' C-Notes. But I'm poor. And work is for people who don't surf. Sorry, I'm trying to put myself through gradschool. Lucky you sucky.

Hey Trustar, you sob, where have you been? I was wondering what the hell happened to you? Anyways, Other MIA's are CC Rider and Anne, how can they just disappear? I guess I kinda miss Anne's BROTHER. Remember him, what a riot! Now the real reason for this post. I was delivering tiki stuff in south OC this morning and something told me to stop and check out the tikis at the Royal H. Low and behold the tiki carver that did the new tikis was there. TMALSS, had a good talk anI let him know about our outing there this month. He is gonna be there . It turns out he is he same guy that was doing work up in malibu and is making his way to SD. Nice guy (Zachary)and he's got site, http://www.zaroga.com

L
laney posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2003 11:52 PM

Chiki, just checked out his work on that site, it is beautiful but some of the tikis have such human features that they really freak me out. I think I may have nightmares about that carving in the black cloak! I wish you could post pics of the new tikis at RH. I tend to like the more cartoony, abstract, and alien looking tikis which are less likely to come alive and kill at night!

******* NEWS FLASH ********

The Tiki Bus will be leaving Bong's Tiki Hut at 6:30 pm. Try to be there by 5:00 for drinks, food, and hopefully entertainment. (Baxdog will be dancing nude in a guilded cage).

Uncle Arty, The bus holds 28 or 29, but there's always Baxdog's lap. I really don't want to step up to the next bus because it's capacity is 40.

Human nature being what it is, some on the list will be 'no shows', or not make it on time. Anyone that still wants to go should NOT count themselves out. We WILL find a way to brings our tiki brothers and sisters with us.

On 2003-03-05 10:42, floratina wrote:
At the SF Crawl and the OC Crawl we will perhaps be blessed with the presence of Iuka Grogg. We will need his uke expertise to really pull the singin-thang together.

I know Iuka's in for the bus crawl. Some of the other Gents have shown just a little more than a glimmer of excitement for this. I'll let you know soon if any of 'ems'll be attending.

-Weird Unc

S

Hey Tribal Bruddas & Sistas!

We'll just keep adding names to the list for those that wanna ride. If by some twist of fate we exceed 40, then we can step it up but I agree with you, Bong, there's always a no show rate. In fact, I should already know this since my job is to predict yields and make wait lists!

So Weird Unc, when you find out who's in just let us know and we'll add 'em to da list.

I'm also thinking about those last minute types like Crazy Al, Sven, etc. And where's SugarCaddy? I'm sure we'll get a few more after the SF Crawl. It's early, man!

Back to reading.

P.S. Alohas to Trustar! Long time, bro!

P.P.S. We're gonna need a bigger HUT!

Aloha,

Arty

Peace, Love & Tiki!

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-07 13:11 ]

T

Uncle Arty,

As the date nears, do your crystal ball magic to predict the yield of tiki freaks. I can always see if there's time to get a bigger bus. I'm gonna play the line for now and stick with the 28 (29 on Baxdog's lap) bus.

Folks, I've been updating the list on page 3 of this post with the names of those going. If someone can't make it, please let me know. It will save the group $ by making the most efficient use of bus space.

Hey Al! I may need some of you mixology magic help with me behind the bar.

Mahalo

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-07 13:39 ]

I think that my girlfriend and one of her friends may be coming too. But there is no, and I mean no way that I'm letting her sit on Bax's lap.

Sorry Bax, I have inadequacy problems. Someday I'll work those out...

Who's the Girlfriends friend, Lucky?

Oh, that's your ex-girlfriend...
She can sit on Bax's lap. It's fine with me....

P

Where exactly is the Royal Hawaiian? I know I was there last year on the OC crawl but since I didn't drive I don't recall the location. Lately I have had a REAL hankerin' for some tiki juice and tt looks like I am going to be in Laguna on Sunday. I'd rather be in San Francisco, but that's just not going to work out for me I'm afraid.

BTW: put me down for the 29th too. It doesn't look like I have any conflicts for that day and I am in need of a tiki fix.

T

Sit on my face and tell me that you love me,
OOH sit on my face and tell me that you care?

I am actively trying to lose weight so I can have 3 extra places to sit, so sign up kiddies and enjoy the ride.

Laney, even cartoon TIKIS are going to eat you at night, they just eat while laughing.

Naked dancing in the cage will have to be postponed, I am scheduled to have an addadiktome the day before and will still have my tweedy bird bandage on. (sorry)

Hey sug dad cad sorry bout the virus! did it stop? you and Chiki and Hanford and Holden all sent me one today. I need the Penicilan (sp)

We need a bigger ship

PS. Just got my new Shag/Palm Springs print
yeehaw whoopie and friggen cool (I am not happy)

When you have to think it's real pull your chair in.

Hey, if there's still room on the bus, Lady Velour and I would like to join in on all the fun. If you need to make room, Lady Velour can drive the bus

S

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-04-04 17:43 ]

T

Hey all. As you know both of my grandchildren are very tikified little folks. My kids have only shown a mild interest in the old mans addiction. Was I suprised when my son Joe decided he wanted to "get to the back of the bus" with us on the 29th. Please enscribe his temporary moniker, PuPu Joe, on the evergrowing bus list. Stand up!and be proud! We are are ready to kick some Tiki! We are an army of many!

Tiki ciao

Trustar

T

T

Allright folks, we have 30 so far. PLEASE REVIEW LIST ON PAGE 3 OF THIS THREAD TO VERIFY WHO IS GOING.

Uncle Arty, let's just have 1 list of those going, it'll be the one on page 3.

Trustar, we're going to be in bars and I don't think children (besides Baxdog) can get in.

Now, I'll check to see if a larger bus is still available or not. If it is I'll let you know. I'm sure it'll be more so that it will more than likely increase everyone's share of the cost.

Until then, I'll keep you posted (no pun intended).

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-08 18:27 ]

Hey you little Freaks!
Just got back from a few days at the Caliente Tropics with my bro C'Al! Count him in on the bus too. Even if I have to drag him on by the hair on his chinny, chin, chin! Has anyone seen Holden?

S

Okay Bong, page 3 it is for the official count. I will edit my last count page to refer to p. 3.

We need to add PhiPhiPho and Mark (Seema's friend) as well as C'Al.

So that makes 35 to date (factor in no show rate at about 10% which puts us at 31.5 so far! :wink: ).

A little bad news folks.

The next bus size up is 50 at $75/hour. I need to ask that any members inviting non-members let them know that they can come over to my place and drink and eat, but the bus driver is forbidden to drive with more that 30 passengers.

I'm going to edit the list on page 3 to only include TC members and my Ukulele player (sorry but she's 'in the band').

Remember, all can come over to my place to party and they can follow us on our stops, but only 30 on the bus.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-10 11:59 ]

You don't think that there is anyway we could fill the 50 bus? I'd hate for people to be left out.
Just a thought.

If anyone wants to reserve another bus, I'll email you with the phone number.

The flake rate runs about 10% so I really think the 30 passenger bus will work out.

Uncle Arty,

Where is you? Give me a call! Help!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-10 13:00 ]

S

Hey Bong,

I'm in the office today and do not have access to my home email (I'm currently responding from a undisclosed third party location!). I sent you a private message with some options/ideas.

I understand your concern since you're coordinating the bus and fronting the money.

Pretty busy today so I may not get back to TC until after 6 pm tonight.

Maybe we can tribal council tonight or later in the week.

Who woulda thunk we'd turn into to a "member's only club." :wink:

Aloha,

Arty

Peace, Love & Tiki!

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-10 13:43 ]Hey

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-10 13:48 ]

"members only".... geez.... we really are "hoiti toiti"!

And I like it!

:tiki:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 162 replies