Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Hapa Haole Hideaway Rebuild Again! - Open

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 210 replies

AJ

WOW! Amazing job Swanky!

Thanks for letting me be a part of the new Hideaway, Swanky!

The carvings look great on the front of the bar you've created!

Enjoy!

W

That's an impressive paint job you did on Becky. I like the subtle shades you used on the skin tone and the detail of the face.

The bar looks great Swanky!!!!!!!! :)

I like how you seperated the menus and collectibles. They display wonderfully!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Sep 9, 2009 8:51 AM

I really like the mugs and how you displayed them. I will have to post my collection soon. That bar came together fast. I got to put more time in my bar very soon. And certainly buy some bamboo soon

Swanky,

Great looking bar, glad you got the Hapa Haole Hideaway back up and running again.

Awesome displays from Trader Vics, Mai Kai and Aku Aku.

DC

Swanky you have out done yourself.I would fly miles to sit in that room and take on
the ambiance in your tiki room.Your hard work has paid off...big time.I have really
enjoyed following this thread from the very beginning .

Aloha-
Trader Bill

S

Quick pics since I really have not posted "finished" pics.

WOW!! very sweet swanky1 i love it! cheers!

Swanky,

Looking good, although a little hard to see anything on the recent pics.

DC

S

On 2009-10-13 18:57, Dustycajun wrote:
Swanky,

Looking good, although a little hard to see anything on the recent pics.

DC

Yeah, it's too dark for normal photography. We'll get some properly lit, good pics soon. I just wanted something of the finished product on here, although there is still lots to do....

P

It's awesome in person.
The New Guinea stuff really sets it up right.

And you never see a real Guanko.

Great mug collection.

And he's the best mixologist in Knoxville.

Place looks awesome. Quite a rum collection.

P

Last night...

Looks amazing. If I ever get out that way I'm gonna just follow my nose (liver) and track you and your place down. Really a great looking bar. Congrats.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Dec 27, 2009 12:29 PM

You're tiki bar is very swanky, Swanky.

OK, that was a tease. More pics of this awesome lounge, please!

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2009-12-27 15:03 ]

wow wow wow i luuuuvv this lounge!!!!! very sweet swanky!! hats off!! cheerz!!!

S

Thanks phinz. Your camera and you did what no one has been able to do: capture some of what the Hideaway is really like. We must do more, but maybe after the next 5% is finished in spring/summer. Although, it makes the bar look a LOT brighter than it is, it does show the details that dissappear in other pictures.

S

Oh yeah, and the link to all phinz images: HERE

Thanks for indulging my request. That is truly an awesome lounge!

Whoa! Great pictures...Looks like a real classy joint. Love the pseudo-jade tiles lashed together as a divider. I've been trying to get some of those for the same purpose for a while now. Is that PNG piece really as large as it looks in the pictures!?!? Awesome stuff.

S

On 2009-12-27 22:13, kahalakruzer wrote:
Whoa! Great pictures...Looks like a real classy joint. Love the pseudo-jade tiles lashed together as a divider. I've been trying to get some of those for the same purpose for a while now. Is that PNG piece really as large as it looks in the pictures!?!? Awesome stuff.

Yes.

There is really so much more to add to the bar. Lots of stuff to fill in the space. Clutter I guess. And a few hard details. Looking forward to finishing it out this spring/summer...

Come on over when you are in East TN...

That room looks fantastic so far! Nice job.

Beautiful work Swanky!

So glad for you that your dream was finally realized, and all the hard work has payed off with a beautiful environment to enjoy drinks in!

T6

Hey Swanky
I just noticed all the "Tikis" are looking at Becky the hula girl!

Except "Creepy" at the bar entrance and he has got his own agenda. :)

Love it. Looks like an amazing place for a drink and relax.

M

Your bar is very beautiful and classy looking. I like the paint colors you chose for the walls. At one point it looks like kitty wants to give some design ideas. Looks like you listened.

M

Your bar is very beautiful and classy looking. I like the paint colors you chose for the walls. At one point it looks like kitty wants to give some design ideas. Looks like you listened.

Great space Swanky... definitely one of the bars on TC that motivated me to do a home bar. Looking forward to your updates (not that the place needs any!).

Great looking space. I love the size of the bar. Looks like a professional setup more than a home bar. Nice work!
KG

Tiki splendor indeed. Time for an update in pictures!

S

Been a long winter with few updates. Entertaining some...

Note giant puffer in top left.

And new Japanese ships lamp in the center

New shell lamp behind the bar makes the PNG pieces better lighted as well as the work area

This pic you can see Ms Swanky's bamboo piece under the TV

I plan to do some major work in the coming month or so. Just little things here and there.

TK

my my my. that is just fantastic.

S

Sort of hard to get a pic of this. It's a "rum barrel" that has a cut out to make it a display. Light inside. Just got it re-connected and put some Hukilau stuff in there for the short term. Still needs a dimmer and to figure out a better bunch of stuff for in it...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2010-03-28 09:07 ]

Nice digs! Where did you FIND that giant PNG figure??? It's great.

GK

S

On 2010-03-28 10:23, Grand Kahu wrote:
Nice digs! Where did you FIND that giant PNG figure??? It's great.

GK

I got him about 6-8 years ago from an anthropologist and collector in Indiana. Still can't believe it fit in the station wagon and I and a 14 year old boy loaded it...

Just looked at the progress from front to back and now I need to take a nap...I'm exhausted. Wow...that was a truckload of work. I want to know what goes in that little space under the floor...does the door still open from the outside...is it a bomb shelter now. :)

S

On 2010-03-28 19:54, VampiressRN wrote:
Just looked at the progress from front to back and now I need to take a nap...I'm exhausted. Wow...that was a truckload of work. I want to know what goes in that little space under the floor...does the door still open from the outside...is it a bomb shelter now. :)

In theory, everything on the left can be moved, the flooring rolled up, the subfloor and joists taken out and then you can moved big things in and out of the basement.

There is a bamboo couch down there that we'd like to move up to the bar, but it may not fit up the inside stairs. And if the washer or dryer dies... Dunno...

I hope you are on high ground Swanky. The news doesn't look good.

Vic

On 2009-12-27 11:40, phinz wrote:
Last night...

Outstanding hideaway!!!! Love it.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, May 3, 2010 9:26 AM

We're good here in East TN. Central TN got over 13 inches of rain in 2 days. That set a record for the month of May, on May 2nd!

S

A weekend carving project I have put off for many many months. Redoing the bar front and the rafters.

Basic Maori carving design, and my wife figured out the whole thing could be made with one spiral stamp!

3/4 inch round bit.

Torching it to get rid of all sharp edges and to stain it in one step!

Thats some fine lookin router work Tim.

How the hell do you control that router in concentric passes without f'n it up.
... and what about your forearms - they must feel like rubber after every couple of feet!

S

On 2010-10-25 21:21, jpmartdog wrote:
How the hell do you control that router in concentric passes without f'n it up.
... and what about your forearms - they must feel like rubber after every couple of feet!

It was only an issue when I hit a knot here and there, but that was rare.

My lower back is the sorest. The work required leaning way over to be able to see under the router. It surprisingly made most of me sore. Legs, back, arms...

I'll get more pics soon. The next step I left off here. I took a tire brush, a big stiff brush and scrubbed everything. That worked the carbon around and evened out the tone. It also cleaned it a bit. Last step is to wipe it with a cloth to really clean it and it actually puts a shine on it.

And then, install! w00t!

Great stuff, Tim. Great router control too!

Looking good! I wish I was that good with a router.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 210 replies