Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2008 Images Here!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

K

If anyone has any memory issues over whether they had FUN at The Hukilau 2008,
JUST LOOK AT THE LAST 6 PAGES OF PHOTO'S!!!!!

WHAT A BLAST!

Thank you Tiki Kiliki, Bre-elle, performers, volunteers,
old friends, new friends, vendors and the staff of the Mai Kai
for creating a joyous and entertaining time!!!

Yo, ho, ho and a bottle of rum!

Tiki Kiki and Fang Lenoue

P.S. Still working on our pictures....

Jeff and I were tucked in the corner at the Cabana Thurs night -- watching the Laker's game with King Kukulele. Best of both worlds watching the game with a tropical cocktail in one hand and listening to the live music. (Bummer -- they lost)

We explored the Mai Kai Friday and spent some quality time with the tikis.

I promise -- no tikis were injured during the making of this film.

We did a little exploring and found a secluded beach, nestled within a residential area.

And did a little coconut juggling...

Double fisted it at the Mai Kai...since we came on the shuttle!

This....is the happiest place on earth!

It looks like this guy is facing down a dragon made of fire.

T

On 2008-06-22 14:47, Robb Hamel wrote:
It looks like this guy is facing down a dragon made of fire.

This guy IS a dragon made of fire!

Unfortunately This one is blurry, the only blurry picture I took :wink:
But it's funny. Made me do a double take.

H

Perhaps related to this guy?

O
Otto posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 1:11 AM

Hey, didn't anyone get an underwater shot of me swimming with the mermaid on Thursday night?

The coolest guys at the show - Russell and Dr. Scopitone.

D

:lol:

classic.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-06-22 09:06, CheekyGirl wrote:
Jeff and I were tucked in the corner at the Cabana Thurs night -- watching the Laker's game with King Kukulele. Best of both worlds watching the game with a tropical cocktail in one hand and listening to the live music. (Bummer -- they lost)

I'm sorry but watching a sporting event while at a tiki event just seems to be so wrong.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

On 2008-06-24 12:40, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2008-06-22 09:06, CheekyGirl wrote:

I'm sorry but watching a sporting event while at a tiki event just seems to be so wrong.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

They were probably tucked in the corner so Bamboo Ben and friends would not toss them into the pool...
Sorry again Swanky... I didn't know you couldn't swim... :(

Hey, I wonder if people watched sports on TV when Jimmy Buffet played at the Bahia Cabana... :)

T

Count our keyboard player Kassanova in as one of the people that stayed in their room and watched the Lakers....

I just don't get it.

Did I mention how much I love New Yorkers!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-06-24 15:44 ]

T

Wow, Bohemianne...

You should make and sell a print of that Mai Kai Gardens photo...2nd from the bottom...that's amazing.

I may steal it for my desktop !

On 2008-06-23 01:11, Otto wrote:
Hey, didn't anyone get an underwater shot of me swimming with the mermaid on Thursday night?

Um, I think Hanford frowns upon those kinds of shots.

Family place here, ya know.

Although "Free Willy" was G Rated film....

Here were some of my favorite Florida moments.

Having this drink. Then going outside and seeing the matching tiki.

Getting a fairly decent shot of the Mai Kai sign.

Watching Phill get his Mystery Bowl.

And running off to do some extracurricular urban archaeology.

Squid in the mornin...still a bit fuzzy....

Based on the pictures so far, Squid wins the "Best Dressed" award.

On 2008-06-24 19:43, Tiki-Kate wrote:
And running off to do some extracurricular urban archaeology.

Tiki-Kate, where was this at?

We made a rendezvous to Hawaiian Gardens ... still dealing with the pics -- have over 1,500 of them from the weekend! And actually still haven't looked at them yet -- just finished unpacking last night!

B

Kate, That Big Ol' Tiki was done by our OWN wplugger, right here in Ft Lauderdale!
"Here were some of my favorite Florida moments.

Having this drink. Then going outside and seeing the matching tiki.
"

So no one's gonna make an 'Otto's Shrunken Head' joke about that Thursday night swim???!!! :wink:

Just razzin' you Otto, I was actually at the far side of the bar and heard the commotion, but was only witness to Bamboo Ben's froggy swimming mischief among those lovely and graceful mermaids.

I just couldn't let a great zinger like that go unsaid.

Okay Okay, this is the last set of pics from me, I promise!
Please keep in mind that this was MY FIRST HUKILAU and MY FIRST visit to the MAI KAI, so I went a little overboard with the photos and just don't want that weekend to end!
Like my lovely Huki-Buddy Suzanne said, 'It's like coming to Tiki Mecca.'
But here I am preaching to the choir.
So below are just a few of my favorites from Saturday and Sunday.
If you want to see more, please visit my flicker site. It's new and I would love the company. :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atomikitty/

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2008-06-25 03:14 ]

S

Hey! Will you tell Joe Cotton to give me back my sunglasses?

:)

Great photos!

Suzanne

Sorry Suzanne, I'm pretty sure they are somewhere in the Atlantic ocean. . . .

Send me the bill and I'll get it to 'Mr. Jet Pilot.' :wink:

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2008-06-26 00:40 ]

On 2008-06-24 13:41, tikiyaki wrote:
Count our keyboard player Kassanova in as one of the people that stayed in their room and watched the Lakers....

I just don't get it.

Flog him now, and if that don't work Keel Haul him damnit,
there is no excuse for this kind of nonsense.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

On 2008-06-26 00:46, bigtikidude wrote:

I just don't get it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, flog him. It was the CELTICS who were the ones to watch! Watch them bury LA, that is! :P

[ Edited by: suzanne 2008-06-26 07:40 ]

S

Joe Cotton lost my sunglasses in the Atlantic Ocean!?!? hahahahahahah!

Now he owes me one, for sure. Tell him that next time his cuz is in LA, we'll have to do something about that!

:D

Suzanne

T

On 2008-06-26 06:58, suzanne wrote:

On 2008-06-26 00:46, bigtikidude wrote:

I just don't get it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, flog him. It was the CELTICS who were the ones to watch! Watch them bury LA, that is! :P

[ Edited by: suzanne 2008-06-26 07:40 ]

Uh Oh...East Coast vs West Coast....You sports geeks...Geez !

S

Well, we did win. Tell Kobe there is always next year. Maybe.

Anyway, she finally gets around to posting her Hukilau photos! Some of the ones I loved most below. See them all at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedivapinup/sets/72157605720835097/

Also, I borrowed a few from folks here so I can have them all together. I haven't gone back to caption them all with credits, so please feel free to add that info as a comment on the pics so I can be sure to edit-- thanks!

Atomikitty, Suzanne and Marie at the Mai Kai, Saturday night:

yours truly, in Rm 130 on Friday:

with Kevin Kidney at the Mai Kai:

with Digitiki at the Mai Kai:

Large cocktails, happy Scots:

Three Suzannes at the Mai Kai:

Russell being the cad that he always is:

Russell with Atomikitty:

Bohemiann with his wahines:

:) :)

Suzanne

Suzanne, that was the best damned massage I have ever had. If you had thrown me or Mark or any of your other victims in the pool after that we'd have drowned :)

S

Dave, you are sweet. It was my pleasure.

Suzanne

Let's hear it for all the great musicians who played at this year's Hukilau ...

The Disasternauts

Laramie Dean

The Tikiaki Orchestra

Slip & the Spinouts

Haole Kats

The Intoxicators

Plus The Martini Kings, Fisherman and King Kukulele.

Everyone rocked the house!

A few more photos below from the amazing weekend. As I just posted on the main Hukilau thread: Christie, you're the best. As a grizzled 20-year-veteran punk-rock promoter, I stand in awe of the event you continue to pull off year after year. Long live Hukilau and the Mai-Kai!

In case anyone missed it, it's official:
http://www.thehukilau.com

I've never seen this at a Laramie Dean show before (Thursday at Bahia Cabana):

Hurricane Hayward with Heather and Tiki Kiliki on Friday at the Bahia:

Never go anywhere without your attorney (that's the the multi-talented Kelley on Friday at the Bahia):

Nell and the girls from Otto's (great meeting you) on Saturday at the Mai-Kai:

A stylish Kelley at Saturday's Mai-Kai bash:

I've seen this elsewhere, but I had to horn in and get a shot for myself (Atomikitty and Brittany at the Mai-Kai on Sunday):

And merch to go with the memories:

More photos added to both the Hukilau and Mai-Kai Flickr groups:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/hukilau/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/maikai/

Locals, be sure to check out the live music every Friday at the Mai-Kai! Hukilau band Slip & the Spinouts return on July 11.

K

A few photos, what a good time!

The new Mai Kai NYC Floorshow

Jump!

Tiki-Bree and Tiki Kiki keeping an eye on Otto

Leisure Master and Bird Girl enjoy a Sidewinder

Atlanta, New Orleans, and New York represent

Tikilicious seems to be enjoying her Black Magic

Alan (Hawaii Kai Guy) recovers from breaking his wrist
at the Yankee Clipper with a belated visit next day to
the Mai Kai

Kooky Conga Line

Looie Kahlua and Tiki Kaliki

Destination Mai Kai

Tiki Angels

Go Red!

Velveteen Lounge and Captain Quad

Fang enjoys Mai Kai customer service

Sarong-a-rama!

What a great time!

On 2008-06-26 00:38, atomikitty wrote:
Sorry Suzanne, I'm pretty sure they are somewhere in the Atlantic ocean. . . .

Send me the bill and I'll get it to 'Mr. Jet Pilot.' :wink:

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2008-06-26 00:40 ]

hmmm, Brotherhood of The Traveling Sunglasses. I found these in the Pacific.

S

Vic, you still have those!?! How hilarious. I apparently have been distributing white sunglasses to the kanes of Tiki Central on a regular basis!

:D:D

Suzanne

K

Thank you Christie for making this amazing weekend possible! And thank you to all the truly wonderful people I met and those I reconnected with. I don't want a pirate face so I'm not naming names, but those who shared your table, your drinks, your rum, your beach umbrella, and your laughter - you know who you are! Mahalos also to my bouncers that kept me company at the back gate Friday night. Here's some of mine:

James with the lovely Liz and the fabulous Miss Jeanne

Rugby Matt, Brittanie and Me

I voted them cutest threesome in matching jackets

BK and his fiery aura- see the flames?

The beautiful Formikahini and hotties Russell and Scopitone

I vote Brittanie (and Suzanne) best additions to the Mai Kai sculpture

But Crazy Al's a close second

Look deep into my eyes. You are getting thirstier...King Kukulele, Otto,

A little back office action- Ben and BK

Later, or was it earlier?

Otto "paying" to get his stuff back from Kern

[ Edited by: koitiki 2014-03-27 19:41 ]

On 2008-06-30 20:16, Koitiki wrote:

The beautiful Formikahini and hotties Russell and Scopitone

Great shot of Formikahini!
Russell, is that a radio you're listening to?

Here's a few more of mine ~

The Three Bears

I like how Squid is using the cymbal as a snack tray while playing with the Haole Cats.

Grrrrr!

As well as being new to Tiki Central this was our first Hukilau, and while we knew it'd be great, we had no idea that it'd be more fun than a rum barrel o' monkeys ... thanks, Christie, for putting something together that was like a dream. It was truly fabulous!

I've been cooped up and sequestered for too long, at work on the final revisions of a big novel, and being a compulsive tikiologist and vintage fiend I thought this would be a welcome getaway to our favorite Tiki Mecca ... nothing like a few Shark Bites and Jet Pilots to clear the head ... but what neither one of us were expecting was the very real 'ohana that colored the whole weekend ... seriously, we met so many wonderful people that seemed like long-lost friends, I really can't believe it -- it was a blast y'all -- our only regret of this very special weekend is not having met everyone, but fortunately (thanks again Christie & Mai-Kai people!) there will be next year!

I'm finally breaking down to get a Flickr page to deal with all the pics, but here's a few to start with:

sarong-o-rama!

tiki bree!

happy hangovers

one of the shots from my holga

oh you know it!

jens and marisol

inky, kurt, charles, mr smiley (and is that the guy from the cinci bengals in the background?)

charles and marie

jean, al, michael

deep in discussion

in the gardens

yummy!

greg and lady friend

everyone's favorite maitre'd ... patrick!

gift shop gals

aloha and mahalo -- let's do it again!

Beg pardon while I interrupt the photos for an important announcement:

"Mermaids & Mai-Kai", a Hukilau reunion of sorts, will take place on Friday, July 11, at The Wreck Bar and The Mai-Kai (of course). There will two happy hours, food and drink specials, a mermaid show, live rockabilly from Slip & The Spinouts and ladies night all night.

Here's the event thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28926&forum=&0

Hope to see all the locals there so we can swap a Hukilau story or two (or three).

H
haikai posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2008 3:45 PM

Alohaaa everybody!

Wow, what a beautiful bunch of photos here. I can still feel it and would like to turn the watch hand back.
I was such a great party at the Bahia Cannonball Cabana and we really enjoyed every minute of our trip.
Last week I checked our 644 photos we made and post about 100 of them on our website.
Here is the link: Hukilau pictures

I would also like to post some of these photos on TC, but at the moment I start a trip to Switzerland and than to the island Rügen.
So I have not enough time at the moment. Next week when I will be back again, I will post some.

Thank you all so much for your great hospitality and all the nice time we spend together during the Hukilau.
I´m very happy, that I made it.

Cheers, Kai

H
haikai posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2008 3:45 PM

Alohaaa everybody!

Wow, what a beautiful bunch of photos here. I can still feel it and would like to turn the watch hand back.
I was such a great party at the Bahia Cannonball Cabana and we really enjoyed every minute of our trip.
Last week I checked our 644 photos we made and post about 100 of them on our website.
Here is the link: Hukilau pictures

I would also like to post some of these photos on TC, but at the moment I start a trip to Switzerland and than to the island Rügen.
So I have not enough time at the moment. Next week when I will be back again, I will post some.

Thank you all so much for your great hospitality and all the nice time we spend together during the Hukilau.
I´m very happy, that I made it.

Cheers, Kai

One of the local weekly papers ran a pretty big story on Hukilau and the Mai-Kai. Although the writer was pretty clueless (she apparently missed the announcement that this wasn't the last Hukilau and, amusingly, she was under the impression that the waitresses were actually "bartenders") the article paints a pretty festive picture of the event.

And it ends with a classic exchange with Hanford Lemoore, who even manged to get in a plug for TikiCentral.com ...

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2008-06-26/music/aloha-goodbye-no-way/

B

I know it's a month later but my pictures are finally up on Flickr. You can see the Hukilau pics here or you can view all the pics from our two-week road trip through Florida.

You can also see photos from the last Hukilau we attended, the infamous Hurricane Hukilau in 2004.

We had a great time after missing Hukilau for four years. We are so grateful to be back in the USA with like-minded folk and are eager to see friends old and new at the soon-to-be announced (right?...) Texas Tikiphile Gathering and Tiki Oasis next month.

OMIGOSH Brittanie!

You do make a splendid Mermaid!
I'm gonna have to make sure you swim with me again next year~

Your Sub-Aquatic Wahine,
Marina

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies