Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2008 Images Here!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

Basement Kahuna,
I'm crushed you didn't mention me in your post, after all the special moments we shared! You even mentioned some OTHER photographer! Fine, I see how you are, Thats it, I want my ring back and I'm having your tattoo removed. You, You....Rogue!

Oh, and remember that special picture you asked me for....Well heres yer damn picture!

On 2008-06-18 06:40, Bohemiann wrote:
Basement Kahuna,
I'm crushed you didn't mention me in your post, after all the special moments we shared! You even mentioned some OTHER photographer! Fine, I see how you are, Thats it, I want my ring back and I'm having your tattoo removed. You, You....Rogue!

Wow. OK better avoid any issues since Bill took a lot photos of us at Hukilau....

Bohemiann is the greatest photographer ever and the most neat-o swell guy we have ever met.

Is that enough to stay off the shit-list? :D

On 2008-06-18 06:40, Bohemiann wrote:
Basement Kahuna,

Oh, and remember that special picture you asked me for....Well heres yer damn picture!

You're in there now, man! I just couldn't remember whether or not you're Swamp Tiki. Good times!

I kinda like the pirate picture, though... :)

Some shots I took at the Bahia Cabana Party on Friday night...

The Fashion show...

Aaargh! I loves ya Matey! Ya scrurvy Bilgediver!

Your safe Leisure Master, you have spared yourself the wrath of Photoshop.

i added a bunch of pics to the flickr group! hope everyone will get on board with this...the group definitely needs more pictures/members, and you can upload HUGE files :)

hukilau group on flickr

wheeeee!!!

MAI-KAI Hukilau 2008...

R
Rain posted on Wed, Jun 18, 2008 12:01 PM

just a few from me - as usual, most were blurry.

[ Edited by: Rain 2008-06-18 12:01 ]

K

On 2008-06-17 20:43, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Man...I was so bummed having to come home after the great week...nothing like some friend time to recharge the 'ole batteries. Even if my sleep batteries are low. I love you all, man. You can eat at my backyard barbecue any day. I hate listing names because you never get everybody you want squeezed in, but: Kiliki, Tim, every single one of our great vendors, Jonpaul, Marie, the Tikiyaki crew, Julie, Ben, Al, Gen'rl Hanford, The Doctor-at-the-party Berry Bum and photographer-extraordinaire Mrs. Bum, Danny and Steph, Tony, Bohemiann, MR. Cha-CHing Kukelele, Pearly Shell, Strotto Von Oheim, Jungle Jemifer and Jungle Jen, Mr. and Mrs Lakesurfer Hansen, Squiddy Rich, Suzie-Q (thanks for the Sunday digs!), Alice, ROCKSTAR KAI and friends, Joe, Kelley and Jim, Mr. and Mrs. Hot Rod Tiki, T-bomb, Dave Levy, Kern, Pia, Tiki Magazine, Mr. and Mrs. Bosko (see you at Folly Beach!), Smiley, Inky, Torchy, Nick, Pablus, Josh and those Haole Kats, and to all the new folks I met this time around it was a treat and a pleasure. NOW, I did find this rope edge 1954 production lemon-yellow Eames Zenith with the uber-transluscent fiberglass and rare early casters at my first stop in Athens after I got back! That helped daddy feel a 'lil bettah about being home.

so does sleep deprivation cause memory loss? 'cause i remember talking with someone that sure looked like you, into the wee hours Sunday nite-- long after you said you were too tired to stay out at the pool any longer....and yet, i don't see a mention of my name in your list of fame--or is it shame?...oh, the disappointment....
tell you what, you can make it up to me by flipping that sweeeet eames chair my way :wink:
K.

Click the links to be transcended back in time to HUKILAU!...

Tikiyaki Orchestra... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8fexd_mHQU

The Intoxicators... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKLm62Vsdw

Thanks for the flashback surfintiki!
Thank you Christie! that was INSANELY FUN!
here's some pics...
Squid in the mornin...still a bit fuzzy....

Marina with her awesome tikiyaki performance.....three cheers!

kuku-guy i don't know-ditto-lakesurfer! you guys were funny.......looking! :lol:

croe67 and Rob...
so fun seeing them.....
Caroline has a laugh that makes you laugh
and that's the best kind of laugh!
thank you kids for everything!

swanky and nice girl.
swanky almost drowned....

this one is like an old master's narrative painting....
BooBen,kikekeki,and Squid.....

terril's creative hair ensemble....

finally got to meet joe vitalle :lol:
and also his talented and sweet wife....
he was kind of stuck-up and smug tho as this picture reveals!
i would have to say Flounder was the nicer of the two...

here's one of karen and terrill in the room....
beautiful jacket! :)

here's something you don't see everyday....
Tikidiablo in mid pee-pee! :lol:

Soccertiki went ALL-OUT for their room party!
yay.....

and the absolute best moment of the whole trip...
meeting Benz....what an incredible man...STOKED!
and Sherry's a sweetie too!

Hukilau was something to treasure for a lifetime!

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom
Arts and Crap at its Finest!
"we nag you 'cause we love you!"

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-06-18 21:13 ]

Here's a small sampling of my Hukilau shots! To see the rest of them, go to my flickr page (in the Hukilau group). There you can also view hires versions. These images are free to use by anyone promoting the Hukilau, Mai Kai, TikiCentral, or related events. Just credit me by name or screen handle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7918649@N04/

I had a blast. Great seeing everybody again, thanks to all who help support thier local beachcomber again!

J

On 2008-06-18 20:58, little lost tiki wrote:
kuku-guy i don't know-ditto-lakesurfer! you guys were funny.......looking! :lol:

Guy you don't know #1 is Dr. Von Zombie, and Guy you don't know #2 is Tai Won On. South Bay boys who apparently are still recovering since they didn't make it to Forbidden Island tonight for the meatinis! :wink:

Looked like a bunch of fun! maybe ill come down to one of these Tiki Gatherings someday lol

P

btw, everybody...

..King Kukulele makes little girls cry.

S

hahahahaha.

T

Gray hair guy ..isn't he Paulie Walnuts from the Sopranos?

Well, it's hot as hell here back in LA and I can't paint so I figure I might as well put up some pics.

Man, HUKILAU was AMAZING. Exceeded all expectations. I am still glowing from the good vibes and the strong rum barrels!

In protest of the weekend being over, I have refused to unpack.

Tiki Kiliki, I praise you and thank you for giving us all this fantastic experience. Know that your hard work is much appreciated from coast to coast, and that you have brought friendship and joy to the lives of all who attended.

Mucho Mahalo to Tiki Bree for letting me be a part of the fantastically fabulous Sarong-O-Rama! Your love and exuberance for fashion is eclipsed only by your dazzling smile and oh-so-shiny mermaid hair! It was such a pleasure getting to know you. I had the time of my life twirling in the show, as you can all guess by my huge cheesy smile in every pic!

Thank you to Harold Golen and his fabulous Gallery for hosting a stellar art show and inviting me to participate.
I was honored to have my paintings included in such a treasure chest of tiki talent. :)

Thank you to my most awesome roommate and Hukilau buddy Suzanne of Diva Pin-up Hair Accessories! I couldn't have asked for a better roomie! She is so multi-talented and fantastic and glamorous and fun!~I really can't say enough.

Thank you to Squid for hooking a sista' up and hosting a slumber party Sunday night.

Arg! I didn't mean for this to get all 'Oscar Speech-y' but I met so many fantastic people this weekend I just can't help it!
So quickly. . . Thanks so much to everyone who came up and said hello and said they enjoyed my art or my twirl in the Sarong-O-Rama!
That meant so much to me!

Instead of posting all the names of the fantastic friends I made this weekend, they can rest assured that I am now totally fan-boy stalking them over the interwebs. :)

Suffice to say, thank you everyone for bringing the spirit of Aloha and creating a magical weekend.

On to the pics!

These are from Thursday and Friday:

Ooooh, Mommy like!! - did this one get purchased? Who's the artist?

...edited for spelling...

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-06-19 16:07 ]

J

OK guys, I need a bit of help remembering a name from SAT night at Mai Kai. Several of us were sitting in the very back of the Molokai Bar, and a really nice couple joined us. The lady was carrying a spider purse, and they said they sell it and several other designs on their website. Of course, I had a drink or maybe two..uhm...ok, I had several...and I don't remember their names! Maybe they will see this. Any ideas who it might have been?
Thanks!!!
SBT

South Bama Tiki..... They go by Kungfugimp here on TC.

Their website is atomic-lounge.com

I cant take the torture any more with the pics and the stories of the Mai Kai.
Damn it!

Oh Jeez, was this a trip to remember. I gor some well deserved rest and put my liver to work for once. Thanks for all the great times Kiliki and folks. My phone went for a walk for a couple of days, and I reaaly didn't care too much. I left it in my boy Jaksin's ride, thanks . Oasis is when?

Happy Birthday Tiki Diablo!!

What a great weekend!

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jun 19, 2008 11:29 PM

My photos do not reflect my trip in many ways. I've tried to include some that are not already represented but I don't have any of The Intoxicating Nell fr NYC, or Veronica (NYC) and friends, or pix of me and Marina?

All Wright!

King Kuku

a car at Bahia Cabana w Forbidden Island sticker!?!

Lake Surfer makes a Sale (this pun's for you Smiley)

Mr Smiley and friends

I spent all my $$ at the Mai Kai

praying at the church of Kai

Tristan n kern

Vern n Bananas Flambe

Jean, Dave's GF, Dave Levy, Swanky

Mount Tiki

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jun 19, 2008 11:36 PM

On 2008-06-19 16:06, Haole'akamai wrote:
Ooooh, Mommy like!! - did this one get purchased? Who's the artist?

The artist is Dave Wong of SF
He did the cover for my book Tiki Art Now volume 3

JV

The photos are great! Thanks for posting 'em. Hukilau was a blast!! Best one yet? I think so. So many good people all in the same place at the same time. Way too many to get into names, but it was real cool to see everyone and meet a bunch of new folks. Great having the CA brethren and sistren? in the east. Yo Ruzic, that's sophistication. (I hope you're joking) I think there was an imposter passing himself off as flounder to the out of towners 'cause I didn't see him once....

Thanks to everyone who worked to put this together.

Damn, wish I was making it to the Oasis.....

[ Edited by: Joe V. 2008-06-20 13:09 ]

Great pics , keep em coming. Nothin to see here in Cow Hampshire

Mount Tiki

..never mind the tiki...mount the girlies!!! yowza!!!

More pics! Not sure if these are Thursday or Friday. . . the pics kinda blend together. . . like the whole weekend. . . :)

Beach Bum Berry,Atomikitty and Kiliki (and tiki and coconut monkey). King Kukulele grills Beach Bum Berry.

Friday night party people

Diablo,Bosko and Lovely Ladies. Bosko and some drag queen. :wink:

Diablo and Little Lost Tiki all smiles. The infamous Joe Cotton and our savior Pia from the Mai Kai.

Yeah, I was seeing like that too. . . :wink: Suzanne trips the light tikitastic.

Damn that monkey!He was drinking my rum all night! Deniro made an apperence hawking his new TikiYaki mug. :)

The FOM Mixmasters at work
Thanks guys!

Me and Marie. . . and her amazing tattoo!

Kiliki CANNONBALL!!!!

Senior Squid. . . and his band of borracho muchachos

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2008-06-26 00:29 ]

Ha! Very funny Tipsy! :)
That's my big blue ass with the lovely and charming Brittany~anyone know her name on TC?
She and her man were super awesome and I would love to stay in touch with them.

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2008-06-20 16:08 ]

RE: Kiliki Cannonball!!!

Dude! Did she do it? I was pretty out of it at that point so I don't know if she made "the leap," so to speak.

Pretty fricken amazing Hukilau, and Friday was insane. All the bands were awesome, and then when everyone jumped in the pool and the Intoxicators were on, I gotta say that was the perfect sound and the perfect setting for that particular moment. Moving the Friday show to the Bahia Cabana is one of the best "happy accidents" of the weekend, IMHO.

[ Edited by: Quince_at_Dannys 2008-06-20 16:58 ]

Atomikitty! Great photos! I also checked your website out...LOVE IT! Soooo, how come you're not posting some of that beautiful work in the "creating tiki" section? (LOVE the House of Bamboo!)

Thank you Christie for another great Hukilau. Great photos everyone. Tony made me laugh harder than I have in years after his explanation of the "Blue Dolphin" Thanks. I wish I could have hung out later than I did as I saw a lot of friends, but did mot get a chance to spend much time with them.

I was sad after Mrs, Fury left, but she finally got to see the Mai Kai and her joy is evident.....

Thanks so much Surfintiki!

To answer your question as to why I haven't posted more of my art stuff in the tiki marketplace . . . .on word. . . laziness.

I promise to do something about that soon, and you will be the first to know. :)

H

Kickin' it off right on Friday night-or was it Thursday. Sorry for the single post--I have more pix but will have to re-edit to remove the white areas on the sides.

[ Edited by: howland 2008-06-21 08:55 ]

Aloha All! I am posting all of the pictures I took on
http://go11media.smugmug.com

Mahalo nui loa! to all who supported us by posing for a Greenscene or MaiKai Portrait.
We appreciate you and hope you are happy with your picture and it reminds you often of good Hukilau times.
An added benefit for us is to get to meet all of you through this fun activity.
All of the images on SmugMug are yours to download, Aloha Kakou!
All proceeds from prints you might buy go towards my MaiKai tab! seriously.
I ended up with about 10 gigs of images so please be patient as I finish processing & posting them.

WooHoo! post production rocks! I have just now started editing down the images from Saturday night at the MaiKai. Only 534 images NOT including the portrait shots. After all these images are edited, corrected & uploaded and all of the promises and obligations fulfilled, I am driving over to the MaiKai and sitting in the back corner of the Molakia for a few days. Sorta like this

I can't resist posting a few of my favorites;

AllSwim

We found this guy on the bottom of the pool.

And we suspect this guy had something to do with it! Very suspicious.......

Tidal Wave!!!!

VooDoo Tiki Tiquila! This stuff was good! Very Good! Dangerous Good! Thanks for the samples guys, the urge just to hang out and drink them till you ran me off was overwhelming. My bar will now be incomplete without it.

I'll post some more fun ones as I edit through Saturday.

(With due credit to Bohemiann for the great photo as always) I just want to be forthright with my intentions and let Hanford know that this doesn't "mean" anything "that way".

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2008-06-21 09:42 ]

T

Since you asked... Here's the Kiliki Cannonball in mid air!

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Jun 21, 2008 1:48 PM

WOW!!! What a blast!! Never thought I could have such a good time flyin' solo! Greatest group of strangers I have ever met. Sure made a LOT of fine new friends thanks to Hukilau...
Dream Team

Creator of the Universe and Center of the Universe

Free Drinks!!!

Guys & Dolls?!?!

Hey whaddaya lookin at...?

And my new pals...

ALOHA!!!

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-06-21 13:51 ]

Mr. Smiley disembarking from his milk carton raft.

Jaxson's for a banana split.

Ridin' the dino.

Primates.

Love blooms in the garden.

Ditto.

Ditto again.

The fabulous show!!!

A new friend, BH, enjoys a 151 Swizzle.

The boys enjoying some company.

Happy hour.

Sorry, Suzie, Russell is a Booze-hound!

On 2008-06-18 15:19, kikekeki wrote:

so does sleep deprivation cause memory loss? 'cause i remember talking with someone that sure looked like you, into the wee hours Sunday nite-- long after you said you were too tired to stay out at the pool any longer....and yet, i don't see a mention of my name in your list of fame--or is it shame?...oh, the disappointment....
tell you what, you can make it up to me by flipping that sweeeet eames chair my way :wink:
K.

You're in there, girl! I went back and I'm still going back! That night was a lot of fun, and you must have been made of steel to teetotal the whole thing. It was a pleasure. The Zenith chair stays with me!!

K
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.