Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI FREAKout Art show @ Closing Reception this Saturday 8/9 7p.m. til Midnight

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 339 replies

Just got back into Palm Springs and thought I would send a couple of Pic's from the setup the first night!!!!!

Hope to see ya all tomarrow night!!!!!!!!!

QUICK ADRESSES if your mappin' it out The Light Gallery: 440 East 17th Street Costa Mesa, Ca. 92626

BE THERE! :roll:

S
squid posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 2:07 PM

Bumpty bumpity bump!

The pictures look FREAKin' awesome!

..as promised a little teaser... here's the "zombified" version of my Don stencil
Don's "zombie skin" and cocktail glow in blacklight

I severely wish I could be there for the opening... raise a Mai Tai in my honor will ya'

T

I just did a photoshoot for tiki mag and the pics came in . In the pic is my Marquesan Cannibal tiki complete with the severed head on a spear of the person Ive been commisioned to carve for . This will also be at the show . I hope you come and enjoy ALL the artists work . We create for you .

On 2008-07-18 16:49, TIKI-RAY wrote:
I just did a photoshoot for tiki mag and the pics came in . In the pic is my Marquesan Cannibal tiki complete with the severed head on a spear of the person Ive been commisioned to carve for . This will also be at the show . I hope you come and enjoy ALL the artists work . We create for you .

Ray,

AWESOME!!!

todays the big day streaking freaks! cant wait for the pics. of the art!

I'm getting ready to hit the road from Palm Springs to the O.C. in about an hour. I look forward to seeing a lot of my friends tonight at the show and I know you will all enjoy yourselves. This show will feed your Eye's/Minds and Ear's.

We have SpeakyTiki's by Tiki Rick (Speakers build in a Tiki)that come in many styles with lights that move with the music.............These things ROCK!!!!! I cranked them and had No shaking or breakup!!

Skinny Dog will be showing Tiki that you can show of on your Body's

And all the Artist will be showing you one-or-a-kind ORIGINALS!!!

Come down and say hello!!!!!!!

NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT?????????

AND PLEASE,BRING A FRIEND!!!!!!!!!

On 2008-07-19 09:09, Wildsville man wrote:
AND PLEASE,BRING A FRIEND!!!!!!!!!

DITTO ...and your 3D Glasses! (red/blue "old school")

...seriously! :o

YAY!
COUNTDOWN: 6 EARTH HOURS>>>>>

If i were you I'd be.....
going to Bamboo Ben's shop this afternoon and finding some treats for the hut....
then cruising down to Kona's on PCH for a drink and some dinner....
then hitting the Tiki Freakout in Costa Mesa that night...
That's what i would do if i were you....
just a thought....

SEE Y'ALL TOONITE!

S
squid posted on Sat, Jul 19, 2008 1:21 PM

On 2008-07-19 13:16, little lost tiki wrote:
YAY!
COUNTDOWN: 6 EARTH HOURS>>>>>

If i were you I'd be.....
going to Bamboo Ben's shop this afternoon and finding some treats for the hut....
then cruising down to Kona's on PCH for a drink and some dinner....
then hitting the Tiki Freakout in Costa Mesa that night...
That's what i would do if i were you....
just a thought....

SEE Y'ALL TOONITE!

Quit posting and go paint 12 more pieces for the show. You have at least 5 hours. Do it Doodles!

On 2008-07-19 09:09, Wildsville man wrote:
NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT?????????

I'm confused again?? Will you and Shag be there?? I heard you and him are really tight!! And will there be any FUN being passed around?? And will the FUN be as free as always?? Cause I only have a few bucks to put towards any FUN.

this event will be "FUN" not FUN...
and it's free! :)

Free-fun, or fun-free?

Either way, we'll be there!

WooHoo! It's finally July 19th :)

what are the hours?

Hope you guys had fun, while I was sputtering out on the freeway getting there...

I left L.A. from a friend's with plenty of time to get there, sat in traffic for most of the way, and the allmighty veg car started sputtering. I had rushed the filtering of my vegetable oil and put in some bad oil. (My 82 Mercedes Wagon runs on recycled vegetable oil.) I barely made it to a gas station off the freeway. I was quite bummed to miss this opening because I was going to meet a lot of you great artists I haven't met yet. With a little magic, I was able to get the filter cleaned, but I had a car load of friends who I didn't want to strand, and it was getting late already.

c'mon tikitony! don't you think it's time to admit that we're both stuck in that crazy mirror prison from Superman 2? Damn, this place is flat!

See Tony, thats what you get for caring about the environment.
Tony, sorry to hear about the Veggie burner!

wheres the pics is everyone still recovering????

That sucks for us Tony . I was looking for you last night . I wanted to show my girlfriend your ink art cause it makes me jealous what you can do with a pen .Ive been a fan since I met you at the Long Beach Tikifest .
I dont know why you pulled into a gas station though . You could have pulled into a 24 hour Albertsons and picked up a few gallons of high octane Wesson . Or even high grade virgin olive oil .They make that stuff from really ugly olives . We had a great time at the show and what a turnout . Its really a compliment to all the carvers I guess but people just couldnt keep from touching the tikis . I was a nervous wreck . They are really fragile and extremely heavy as well . We even had a person who drew blood from a splinter . I was tempted to sign it for him . But it is coool that they just want to feel the texture . Thanks to all the people who came and a BIG BRAVO to all the artists .Except Clydesdale who hurt one of my last feelings talking about my new tattoo . Just kidding ....

Yes, someone post some pictures, please!
Hope it went well - Rory, you got together an incredible artist line-up for this show.
This is one event I probably have crossed the Orange Curtain for, but we were celebrating my b-day, then Mike had a gig at the illustrious Redondo Beach VFW afterward. Good times, but I'm bummed we didn't get to Freak-Out.

Terra
Swangulo Tikis

Just got back into Palm Springs 5 Minutes ago and boy my arms are tired!!!!!!!! (Bad Joke)
We had a great time last night with the Freaky fan's of Tiki. I want to thank all the fan's and Artist who showed up,and most of all the fan's who opened their wallets for some great art at some great prices. We will be releasing photo's of the art with prices later this week........Here is some e group shots for you.............

I had a great time last night!! Some of the art work there is Fucking Incredible!! I really liked Babalou's Rabit Tiki's (really cool to look at when its 420)!!! I really like Big Toes stuff. Another one of my favorites was Miles Thompson's painting. Kinnys stuff is fricken rad to see in person too!! I am stoked to be around such cool, friendly, and insightful artists!! Life is good ---oh and the "FUN" was totaly free!!! Rock On!!

WooHoo! What a Tiki-rrific Show - Mahalo to Wildsville Man, The Light Gallery Ohana, & all the Artists that helped to make this such a great event :)

Nice digs, the pics are awesome, musta' been a hell of an opening.

R

Great times! Great people! Great art! Great Fucking FUN!

Rory, keep on putting on these great events.

Good Times!

Nice to see everyone!

Actualy took some time to look at the art this time.

Awesome Show !!!

B

the opening was here...wish u were beautiful.

beware of 'Nibbler' cocktials.

head hurting...must turn off light.

alohas, bT

GT

Thanks Rory and The Light Gallery, Dani and I had a great time, Nice to see all the fantastic art on display, And to see all the fantastic artist! Thanks all of you! Great to see you!

Dani gives kisses to all the artist, Very Cool Art!

With-In walking distance from the gallery is La Cave restaurant, In a basement, With a very cool, Swank-Lounge feel, Dinner and drinks is about half a C-note per person with very good food!

Thanks All, Cheers! Rory, Kinny, and Bamboo Ben! Gogo

Mahalos to Rory, Light Gallery and all the artist that made this a fun
and memorable event .My head is still spinning.Pictures to follow shortly.
Cheers,
Trader Bill

Good times.

S
squid posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2008 7:09 PM

Hodaddy: I was under the impression that Ultra Tang was what the astronauts drank. But I like yours more betterer!!!

Great time thanks to Rory for making a great show and really pulling it together. Thanks to everyone that showed up!

Here is my flickr set of the show...enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlozeau/sets/72157606283954352/

Ok-here go's the neighborhood .
Thanks for playing ,I'll take door number # 2

LLT is that a hang nail or flippin the bird ?

Just gettin are drink on

Don't ask !!

Insane Odd Rodney custom hand painted ,pin stripped over pearl hot rod paint WOW!

Front shot

The man behind the brilliant work on this killer piece of art
What was him name again ??? LOL

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-07-20 22:29 ]

That's Jason....AKA 3 Sheets....killer work in both paint, pinstripping and lettering!

Jason I hope you see this thread, you are well deserving of the credit.
You have a alot of talent.Keep up the great work.
I was very impressed with that piece.I just may have to buy .

Some more Photo's from the Event!!!!!!!

Rory- are you sure you got enough pictures of Soccer Tiki???LOL
Just checkin.You gotta dig his jacket though .

WHAT A GREAT EVENING FOR FRIENDS AND ART!
it was really "FUN"....
Here! Don't just trust my words,here's some pix!
Ben and the lovely Mrs.Boo winding thru the crowd....
looks like someone's enjoying a yogurt!

Stafford and Riptide....alone in the crowd....

ravenne and Nibbler talkin art and actin all snobbish!

Where's Wildsville?

Babalu,Clysdalle and the yogurt lady...

Mrs. Boo/3 Sheets and someone else....

Bill (4WD Tiki) Mr. CoolShirt,and Clysdalle...

Rita (Hank's better half) Monkeyman and Hodadhank...Classy!

Manuel and Tobunga...
cutest kids at the event!

GoGo and Dani-another cute couple!

Trader Tom was there with Eileen! YAY!
Scott SkinnyDog decided to join the fun!

TikiKate and Sabu-nice shirts kids!

Dave "Cowboy Boots" Cohen and Jim Tikiyaki babbling about music or art....

Sabu and Sperm Whale discussing the upcoming Melvins gig! :lol:

Spermy practicing for upcoming Melvins gig...

Phil Roberts-ultimate nice guy,talented artist,and Giant among men!
(He was our Doug Horne stand-in...)

TikiBling Andy with yet another cool hat!

Stafford looking dumb and out-of-the -fashion-scene-for years! :lol:

portrait of a disturbed Genius...the man behind the Tikiyaki Orchestra!

Woo-Hooooooooooooooooo gets lost and scared in the crowd!

Gotcha!
Stafford takes a pic as i float invisibly above the crowd...

Aloha Tiki Tena!

3 Sheets brought his kids to the show....
here's one of em! Coolest kid at the show! Bought his dad a King Okole mug-way cool!

Jen Skinnydog having a Freakout moment amidst a psychedelic backdrop...

the Toe and his handiwork...

for Photoshop manipulation only....

Hey Ray!

Tigerlily-always a sweetie!
i think that's Link behind her....

hiphipaHula trying to be all Badass...
she blew some smokerings but my flash took too long...

and I'd like to end this with the BEST PHOTO OF THE NIGHT!

I strive,at these shows, to take the most embarassing and unflattering pictures of everyone..sometimes they succeed,sometimes they don't.....Scott nailed it on that last one! Now i can retire!
Thanks to everyone involved and all who attended.....:)

Oh dear Lawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like I missed a great party/art show.
I thought I was there, but guess not.
no pics or mentions,
:(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Big Tiki Dude was fuckin rockin on the wheels of steele!! I heard alot of cool stuff I need to go out and find now. I love surf with a shitload of fuzzy guitars and reverb. Thanks for the TUNEZ Jeff!!!

I say we all pool together and hold a PITY PARTY for Jeff BTD!
i actually chatted more with his mom and pop the night of the show
than with him!
They're a lot more interesting! :lol:

Kinny,
bite me.

Spermy, you da best Bro.

Jeff(btd)

R

WeeG and I had a great time!
The artwork was poppin, rawkin freakin out!

good times.

On 2008-07-21 11:01, bigtikidude wrote:
Looks like I missed a great party/art show.
I thought I was there, but guess not.
no pics or mentions,
:(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow, talk about passive aggressive :lol: I got a couple of pictures of you spinning Jeff...but the USB port on my camera broke when I was trying to upload pix last night. I'll buy a card reader tonight and upload them.

Bigtikidude was at the show,or so I believe!!!!! Thanks for spank'in out some tunes for your fellow freaks of the tiki seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

####################################################################################################

WARNING,WARNING,WARNING, FAIR WARNING TO ALL ART COLLECTORS########

We had at least 10 people mention the were interested in some of the AWESOME Originals from the show and planned to purchase them later in the show because they were busy parting like the Freaks they are. If you are planning on making a move,MAKE THE MOVE!!!!!!!! Unlike most Art shows from the past that depend
on walk-in's only........The FREAKout is different.

Starting tomorrow on this Blog,I will be releasing photo's and prices for all art to the general Tiki Central fan's!!!!!!!!!!And Wildsville-Man believes in first move Win's!!!!!!!! so if you sit on your hands too long you will continue to look at that blank wall space or that old print of Ansel Adams for another year or two!!!!!!!

So step up and be someone!!!!!!!!!!! DIG? OWN THE MASTERWORKS!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 339 replies