Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Big Interior Remodel, Starts on page 3

Pages: 1 39 replies

T

Here are some pic's of the start of our patio conversion. I have been going to start this project for a few months now. I am looking for comments on weather to leave the brick or cover it over with something. I'll be running more electrical in the ceiling for future lamps.

1st wall framing up.

2nd wall framing starting & our mesy patio.

Overall view of patio.

Walls sheeted with OSB.

1st wall covered with lauhala & patog matting.

2nd wall with table to cover sprinkler valves & a spot for TV & stereo. Still deciding what type of wall covering to use here.
Also, in these last pictures are a few of my Thrift Store & E-Bay finds. The 2 chairs & the surf picture came from a Thrift Store, the little square tables,the Hawaii bone sign, & the tall mask were garage sale items. None were over $25. I'll be pasting more as I progress.

[ Edited by: TikiPops 2009-06-15 19:18 ]

[ Edited by: TikiPops 2009-08-25 10:23 ]

[ Edited by: TikiPops 2011-06-05 14:32 ]

Looks good so far, nice bargain finds. Bricks are not usually considered a traditional Polynesian building material but it's your patio and you should do what pleases you. You could frame over them and cover them with more matting. If money were no object you could cover them with stone veneer. Or you can leave them and declare them imported Krakatoan volcanic fire-bricks.

PS looks like the dog needs ironing (Shar Pei?)

T

Here are some updated photos on the progress of the patio. I also made 3 new lamps. I will be starting the covering of brick in a couple of weeks. There are a few shots of the back yard. I have a long way to go on the yard.

Wall covered with reed fencing, new garage sale shelf with a few mugs.

I also burned all the bamboo.

Here are lamps. The table lamps were from candle holders picked up at Goodwill. I used a piece of 1" bamboo & fence post tops for the base. Burned the base & the bamboo & varnished. The hanging lamp I made after visiting Bamboo Ben's store. I figured I could do that. Sorry Ben!

Here they are at night.

Here's the patio at night.

I added a planter out by the pool.

The backyard needs a lot. Need to do something with that ugly block wall.

I guess I'll go back to work now.

Looking good. I guess I should go work on my room too.

Jeff

That is coming along nicely...keep up the great work. Beautiful furniture too.

Thanks Jeff, you need to post some new pictures of your room.

Vampiress, Thanks for checking it out. All the furniture is either from garage sales or Goodwill. The hunting is just as fun as the building.

Quick suggestion, build a large box/crate with the word coconuts or rum or whatever to hide the stereo in. It'll make the whole effect look better and it'll help protect your stereo outside.

On 2008-07-26 23:22, Matt Reese wrote:
Quick suggestion, build a large box/crate with the word coconuts or rum or whatever to hide the stereo in. It'll make the whole effect look better and it'll help protect your stereo outside.

How INGENIOUS! What a simple idea that would totally complete the illusion! Love it! :)
Peace,
Peter

T

Here are some pictures of the starting of our outdoor tikr bar. The bar & back counter with sink were given to me by a neighbor who was remodeling his family room. Pictures are from original sketch thru work done to date. I'll be posting more pictures soon. I am shooting for mid July completion.

Here is my concept sketch.

Here is the concrete deck excavated.

Deck poured, the deck is 10'x10', block out is for water supply & drain.

Checking layout of bar & back counter.

Framing up. It basically a four post cover that is self supporting. I did not attach it to the side of garage.

The rafters which are not in these pictures yet will be slightly higher than the garage roof. Rain will still drain into rain gutter as usual.

Our pool is 16" higher than our backyard. The short side of the bar will have two short stools.

The brick colums are going to wrapped & covered.

T

Another weekend of work. Here are a few pictures of the A-frame roof going up & picture of the inner bar area. The bar stools in the pictures, I picked up at a yard yesterday for $3 each.

Just a few more finishing touches on tthe roof & then the tiki-fying can start.
One of my Father's Day gift's was a red float lamp to hang from main beam. I can't wait to get it hung.

Very nice!!!!
It's amazing how good you can make a space look from the Goodwill, most of the stuff in mine is from the GW or Savers other than the wood and wall covering.

I really dig that A frame!!!

M
Murph posted on Sun, Jun 21, 2009 9:10 PM

Cool! Keep the updates coming.

T

Here's some of the latest pictures. Still waiting for Oceanic Arts shipment of new bamboo.
Beams stained

Beginning of framing for shelves under bar

New float lamp & scalloped beam, the lower beams will scalloped also.

New lamp I made from a goodwill basket & a palapa cap

Acouple of night shots

Hopefully this weekend I can start the bamboo & lauhala.

T

Here are some new pictures of the good stuff starting. Bamboo on the front of the bar.

Palapa on the roof, rafter ends trimmed, & orange paint on the A-Frame.

Bar front complete.

Matting up on back wall.

I built a soffit to hide the rain gutter on the inside area of the bar & covered it with tapa cloth I picked up at a thrift store.

Full view from the yard.

View from the pool.
Now I can start adding decorations & shelves. Any suggestions as to what I should put on the front of the A-frame? I'll be looking for something while at Oasis.

Other night shot.

M
Murph posted on Mon, Jul 20, 2009 1:43 PM

Wow! When's happy hour?

wow! that place is lookin good! i like seeing the before and after!
tony

TZ

Fantastic job! I think the front of the A-frame cries out for a big tiki mask.

T

Finally finished all the main stuff. just a few small things left. Done enough to have a few friends over. Here's a few shots all decorated & ready to party. I got so wrapped up to being the host & (I had a few Mai Tai's) I forgot to take pictures of the party.

Still looking for something to go the A-frame, not sold on the orange paint either. I am now working on a puffer fish light bar to go across the header. Is a Tiki Bar ever really done?

Thank you to all who have posted comments. Murph & Martini Kings, after checking out your places I really appreciate your comments.

OGR

Great job....inspiration and ideas....thanks for sharing and keep posting on your paradise updates.

Outstanding! Great job.

pops, great job, attention to detail, looks great by the pool, love it!

Amy

Wow! Great looking bar!

Here are a few shot of the puffer fish light bar / header I just finished this weekend. This was my last project before getting ready for Oasis. Thanks again to all who posted comments. See you all in a few days.
Mike

Place looks great Tiki Pops , I have been watching your thread.I got an idea about
the A frame area for you.Also the white post going across your fence near the bar
look a little out of wack being stark white.I will PM you .

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-08-10 14:44 ]

G

I am REALLY diggin' this outdoor bar! You've got the proportions right, the lighting right, the bamboo, lahala, tapa... it all looks very very good. Did you spray any poly on that lahala to keep it from rotting away in the sun and rain?

I'd consider a tapa print (faux or real) on the orange-y part of your A frame and then mount a flat carving of some sort or maybe a spear or club or two. Or if you're handy with the paint, try something like this:

Oh, and one bit of constructive criticism. If it were me, I would add a big ole tiki or two on one or both ends. Because, after all, it ain't a tiki bar unless... :)

T

Nice job! I love to see people go the extra mile for the A frame and not just a flat roof!

1961surf: Yeah, I know the white fence boards have to go. I have been concentrating on the bar only. I'm not sure if I want to strip them & carve on them or replace them with bammboo. I will eventually cover the brick colums also. Thanks for comments. I still have those chairs in my garage to re-finish. I'll be calling you on those later.

GatorRob: I like the tapa print idea. I had been thinking of something like that ever since I saw Howland's thread. I know I need some tikis. I want some large ones but $ is always a concern. I'll be spraying everything after Oasis. Thanks for looking Rob

tikitony: I couldn't have a tiki bar without an A-frame. See you at Oasis, Maybe even pick-up a tikitony original for the bar. Thanks Tony

H

Fantastic looking little bar - you should be very proud mate! :D

And yeh, I second a tapa cloth design on the end of the A-frame. Check out the PNG embassy here in Australia:

and a close up

Amazing how TC people think along the same lines .I have got some great ideas that
will knock his socks off .Cant wait to have a drink at his bar and dive in the pool.

pops, great way to show the puffers! the whole thing has come together!

Amy

Finally recovered from Oasis. Here are a few pic's of items purchased at Oasis for the bar.
First is a lamp made by KAHAKA. It really looks great. KAHAKA makes awesome lamps!

Here is a craving for the A-frame.

Party Time.

Night close-up

Party winding down.

Thanks for looking.
Mike

Wow great job, looks awesome. Can't wait to see more!!!

I am wish the other half would agree to doing a backyard A-frame bar but she says "no way you already took over the basement".

TZ

That carving over the A-frame is the perfect compliment!

T

We started this remodel about a year ago. We have had a country style for over 30 years. When it came time to change it up my wife agreed to a tropical theme. Not Tiki, but sort of a tropical resort style. The main rule was no mugs or tiki's in the living room. So here is where we started.

I demo'ed brick from the side of the fireplace to make a pop out. The brick will be covered with drywall, and some cool sconces added to each side of the fireplace.

I also removed brick from this wall too. The blue paneling will be removed & replaced with drywall.

This is the layout for an opening cut into this wall. The other side will become my lounge/office.

This layout will be an exterior window to bring more light in the living room.

Here are a couple more views of the room. I also scraped the acoustic ceiling.

Window framing in place.

Here is the wall cut out. We decided to cut all the way to the door opening. We installed a steel post to stiffen up the wall.

Drywall in place.

We drywalled over the brick on the fireplace, & added electrical for sconce lights.

Added caned ceiling lights for art work accents.

Custom wood window installed.

Fireplace with paint & wall sconces.

I designed this cabinet/display/wine holder, then had it built.

Here is the living room today. Still need a mantel & hearth, base boards & crown molding.

Note the tiki mugs on & in the cabinet. I don't know how long they will be there, but at least they're in the picture. The furniture is craigslist find.
You can see the lounge in the back ground of one of the shots. I'll post some progress pictures of the lounge soon.

Thanks for posting. Great work on that bar.

E
evel posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2011 1:57 PM

Man that is really damn cool!!

New interior is looking great! Curious to see how long the mugs stay in the living room. :) Great job!

T

Kon-Hemsby, evel & littlegiles, thanks for checking our remodel. It's been a long year doing this project as money & time permits. The mantel went in this weekend. The granite hearth will go in later this week. Still looking for just the right stuff for walls, but that's the fun part.

Here are couple pictures of the hearth & all of lighting accenting everything.

Here are some progress shots of my lounge/office.
I painted the acoustic ceiling black & the upper portion of the walls a sea foam green.

Next was the installation of Lauhala matting on 3 walls.

I wanted a darker contrast to the sea foam green paint so I stained the Lauhala & the bamboo poles a dark brown. Like the Dagger Bar at Don The Beachcomber.

No pictures of staining the bamboo. I used a 50/50 mixture of stain & varnish. It still took a week to dry. Does anyone know if the mixture should have different?
Here the bamboo is installed.

Here's where I am today. Furniture back in place & some stuff up on the walls.

I am planning on a mug shelf around the top of the room & I have a lot more art to get framed & hung up.

Thanks, Mike

Very nice remodel Tikipops!. Classy and sylish tropical look.
And of course you have the bar when you need to go into full tiki mode!

Wow...nice work...your fireplace looks awesome. Love the colors you are using. FABULOUS!!!

Pages: 1 39 replies