Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

twin marquesan free standers carved, by tiki thomas

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

I carved my first tiki at the 2007 tiki oasis. since then I have been obssesed with carving. I have loved tikis all my life, and i have been drawing and painting before i could even write my name. So here are some tikis i have carved, as well as some paintings, and other art projects. Im also a graphic designer, my company is Screaming Tiki Graphix. That stuff can be seen at http://www.myspace.com/screamingtiki
for the most part everything in this thread is for sale, unless otherwise noted, so if you see something you dig and want to buy, send me a PM. thanks for looking!

-Tiki Thomas

heres the first tiki I carved at the 2007 oasis

heres tiki #2 i carved at the tiki land chop. It traded it for a sculpture to a fellow artist

back of it

heres tiki #3 I carved as a gift for a friend

Heres a painting I did, its a strain of different cultures tikis, its acrylics on wood, SOLD

heres another painitng i did of Ganesh, not tiki, but i digg it

heres a little tiki i carved out of a chunck of palm, i call it a fish god, but this pic was taken before i carved the gills on it

heres some little palm wood masks i carved, about the size of your hand. the marquesan one is sold

painted this surf board as part of the mainlanders 1st aniversary art show

bottom

middle

more to come, i just need to resize and upload the pics

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-10-02 22:47 ]

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-10-04 20:58 ]

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-10-05 16:16 ]

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-12-08 13:36 ]

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-12-08 14:29 ]

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2009-02-02 21:36 ]

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2009-05-04 16:07 ]

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2009-05-08 12:55 ]

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2009-06-11 22:12 ]

heres a shrunken head painting I did, acrylics on wood

tiki #4?

back of no.4

green mask i painted, its on the lid from a human powered submarine i help build...go figure, its next to my guitar so you can see the size

drunk tiki bob painting, acrylics on wood

tiki i carved out of the base of an oolldd palm frawn, then i painted it in with red, looks like something that was charred by a volcano

heres a charcoal drawing i did of a fink lookin surfer, this was my first time using charcoal

mr.bali hai painting, i like this one because i painted it right in the middle of the jessoed paper, its not matted on it

heres an in progress shot of my latest tiki "idol of the jivaro" tiki #5? its still has to be stained, and i have to finish painting the hair and detail on the shrunken heads and do the stiches on them

close up of the shrunken head, still need to paint the hair, detail, and stiches

side view, the heads go all the way around the base

close up of the front of the base

heres another little palm wood mask i carved, this one about the size of my fist, this ones is being transformed into a belt buckle,i dug out the back and got the buckle, i just need to attach the two

Im REALY stoaked with this peice. I sculpted the shrunken head out of clay, made a plaster mold, then did a latex casting. then i painted it, added hair, put the little bone through the nose,stiched up the mouth and lips, and tied in some feathers and beads. some of the beads i actualy got from the amazon when i was there last summer! its going to be mounted on a coconut shell base i made. im going to be making a few of these this summer, and yes, they are for sale
:D

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-06-27 18:19 ]

S

Nice! So much art in you. Yes let it out.
The painting with all the tikis Love it!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jun 28, 2008 7:00 AM

Astounding work, especially for somebody who can't spell "medium"!

Thom-Thom and friend showed up at the 2007 Oasis with a uke and bongoes, serenaded the whole Chop group, and then grabbed a log each and slammed through 'em without breaking for a chat. I kept wondering when he was going to pause & go look at the rest of the Oasis booths, but he was hooked good.

Great work, man, imaginative as heck; you get a free Danger Mask pendant, hit me up for one next time.

thanks seeksurf and cammo

haha i dont need no edjumacation!

sweet thanks dood, ill be sure to hit you up at the next chop

Damn, that's a lot of nice art in one post! :o

I really like that painting with all the different tikis! I like the palm frond chunk with the red paint! And that charcoal piece is sweet, you NEED to do more charcoal! Maybe a tiki next time.

B

Excellent Stuff! Way to go Thomas! Great to see you up and posting!

B

Yo, Thomas. Awesome stuff, more like Way Excellent. Love the Shrunken head on the tiki and the one by itself.

Great work.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-09-08 19:04 ]

4WD,Babalu, and Benz

many thanks for the kind words!

4WD, i think im going to start doing more charcoal stuff because its allot cheaper then paint, and im always short on cash. and ive got a sketch i did of a tiki thatll be perfect for the next peice

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2008 6:28 AM

He means:

4WD, I'll be doing more charcoal stuff, because it's a lot cheaper then paint; and I'm always short on cash. I have a sketch I did of a Tiki that'll be perfect for my next piece.

That surfboard is awesome. It wasn't until the first close up pic that I saw it was tikis on top of tikis on top of tikis. Very cool.

COOL! Great stuff, and SO much of it. Surf, Tiki, guitars...what else could ya want? Definitely post the shrunken head tiki pics, gotta see that.

M
mieko posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2008 4:15 PM

Yay Thomas! I'm so glad you finally got a thread going and all your pictures up! Your stuff looks great!! Really digging the Bali Hai guy, he looks great.

HOK

bottom

middle

Awesome work :o Those Tiki on Tiki images would make killer fabric! Mahalo for posting..... Freddie

Thomas......Freakin A, man. The shrunken heads on the tiki you were working on at the Masonic chop blew my mind. Aint been done, sept fer you.

cammo: you should stop wasting your time with tikis and focus on your true calling in life, grammar!

blindy the pirate, surfintiki, mieko,house of ku, and billy:
many thanks fellow tikiphiles!

most of the concert posters i desgin arent very tiki, so i was stoaked when i was hired to do a poster for a ska show called "skaloha"

On 2008-06-30 21:38, tikithomas08 wrote:
cammo: you should stop wasting your time with tikis and focus on your true calling in life, grammar!

blindy the pirate, surfintiki, mieko,house of ku, and billy:
many thanks fellow tikiphiles!

Thomas, Camm is an author, editor, political cartoonist, etc......he's probably more grammar savvy than our high school English teachers were!

D'oh!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 9:53 PM

If I can get Thomas to start capitalizing "I" and carving more shrunken heads wearing little top hats, my life's work will be complete!

Oh yeah, that's a GREAT poster!

Back to the hats...

[ Edited by: Cammo 2008-07-06 21:54 ]

On 2008-07-06 21:53, Cammo wrote:
If I can get Thomas to start capitalizing "I" and carving more shrunken heads wearing little top hats, my life's work will be complete!

Oh yeah, that's a GREAT poster!

[ Edited by: Cammo 2008-07-06 21:54 ]

ok cammo, i will try

and thanks doood

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-07-07 19:37 ]

B
BigToe posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 3:22 PM

great poster man!

I finaly bought a draw knife today at rockler. DEAR GOD cleaning logs is soo much more easy. the first few logs ive skinned have been a combination of big flats,a dull hatchet, and a hack saw. and just as predicted, the draw knife puts all these methods to shame, TO SHAMEEE!

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-07-09 21:07 ]

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 9:29 PM

Nice collection of work you've got, Thomas! I've got that same draw knife, also bought from Rockler. Works like a dream.

BTW, nice pendant! :)

thanks bowana, its like a hot knife through butter

thanks dood, when i was at oasis last year i couldnt make up my mind on wich pendant to buy, but when i saw yours i said "Ill take it!"

\when can i get my hands on one of them uber tikis?

B

On 2008-07-09 21:43, tikithomas08 wrote:
when can i get my hands on one of them uber tikis?

I'll have them at Oasis. I'll save one for ya.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28956&forum=17&12

raddd thanks dood

B

Excellent poster TThomas, it is a Plus when you can put the tiki in front of so many people and o it So Well!
Love the Draw knife too, just remember half the magic is Muscle power and the other half is keeping the knife Sharp. Thats the fun part too because the steel is Hard and difficult to sharpen.

thanks benz! ill be sure to stay in shape, and keep it sharp

T

Hey Thomas! Your carvings are awesome! But my favorite pieces of yours are the paintings done in the style of the surfboard that you did.

The Skaloha poster is way cool too. It's always great when you can do tiki-themed stuff like that as part of an assignment!

I like how you're working in all kinds of different mediums.

thanks eric!!

finished painting,detailing and sealing the tiki with the shrunken heads "idol of the jivaro" ill post a pic tomorrow

Nice work...and so many medias....kewl!!! I agree...that surfboard painting would make a fabulous fabric pattern. :)

hey man,
Thats alot of nice stuff going on here ..
I love the board .. awesome

vampiress and slaive2tiki, many thanks!

idol of the jivaro is FINALY done! after much procrastination, i finaly wrapped it all up today. i only did one coat of the poly urthane, any recomendation on whether i should do a second coat or is 1 good? my last big tiki i did 2 and it looks a little too shiny

i stained it first with a bamboo color, but i didnt like it too much, then i re stained it with 2 coats of the cherry, and it gave it a cool orange color

then i managed to to clean up some new logs, the log firthest to the right is cleaned now too. ill have plenty o tikis for oasis!

On 2008-07-13 22:08, tikithomas08 wrote:
i only did one coat of the poly urthane, any recomendation on whether i should do a second coat or is 1 good?

I'm not a fan of shiny, so I say no second coat.

I like the 'plaque' on the back, nice idea!

T

Wow, that's awesome man! I love the coloring, the design, the base of heads, the whole thing. Great job!

As for another coat of poly, I say it looks great now. :)

thanks 4wd and bigt

yeah i think ill stick with the 1 coat

S

On 2008-07-14 11:44, TheBigT wrote:
Wow, that's awesome man! I love the coloring, the design, the base of heads, the whole thing. Great job!

As for another coat of poly, I say it looks great now. :)

Ditto!!

thanks sungod!

almost done with a new little moai, ill post pics tomorrow

nice job tikit
i love the heads well put together

thanks slave 2

heres a in progress shot of a new ku Im making. Im almost done with a maori style moai too, need to take a pic of it

got alot of work done on it at the tower bar chop. thanks again billy, and thanks for the pictures

Mr.Ku

choppin with the krudnik

S

Nice pics guys the the size of the head on this ku.

That's looking very good. Looking forward to seeing him finished.
:drink:

Yeah! Thaz what Im talkin 'bout! BIG! Lookin great so far. What kinda palm?

thanks everybody, im not sure bout the type of palm, mexican fan palm? what ever it was it wa smy last log from the batch i picked up from buzzy a while back

update, finished carving a little moai, the wood sucks, alot of cracks and kind of fibery, good thing i carved a moai with it, i think moais look cool with cracks in em. but it looked a little plain so i carved some maori style tattoos on him. when i finish a little more sanding im gonna stain him black and paint the tattoos in red. I also did more work on ku, but no pic.

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies