Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Straws? Yes or No?

Pages: 1 8 replies

While I have traditionally enjoyed consuming my exotic libations with the aid of a plastic tube, lately I'm starting to think that the presence of a straw actually detracts from the experience.

If you're having a Mai-Tai, for instance, heavily accessorized (mint, pineapple, maybe a cherry for kicks), sipping right from the glass intensifies the aroma so that you experience a secondary, aromatic cocktail composed of fruit and booze scents. (Keep in mind, paper umbrella up the nose is always a potential hazard.)

Not to mention, most straws on the market today are of the bendy-neon variety, qualities that have always rubbed my tiki the wrong way.

What's the consensus?

TG

While I generally go strawless, here are the Top Ten Reasons for Having a Straw in Your Tiki Drink:

1. You can select straws that match or clash with your Aloha shirt for eye-popping effects

2. You can blow bubbles with it to attract the attention of a pretty wahine

3. You can you can jam pieces of ice at the top down into the drink to chill the bottom

4. You can extract the true essence of your drink out from under the ice

5. You can selectively drink different layers of layered drinks

6. You can stare past your straw while you scan the room for breastesses

7. You can mark your territory by spraying small quantities of your drink with it

8. You can use it as a fine musical instrument

9. You can use it as a blowgun for sport or self-defense

and the number 1 reason for having a straw in your tiki drink:

1. You can sample your neighbors' drinks while they're looking the other way
S

Great reasons Gnomon.5 and 1 are the best.
Can i add,if you have two straws you can stick em' up your nose and pretend to be a walrus.

W

...If you have two straws you can stick em' up your nose and pretend to be a walrus.

You can, except according to Beartraum's Comprehensive Guide To Table Antics Old and New:

In his groundbreaking paper, Mammal Imitation Table Antics, Dr. Rolph Zingue noted that every legitimate recorded account of the Walrus Imitation has not only cited chopsticks as the table items used to simulate walrus teeth but also the insertion of the chopsticks between the upper lip and gum and not in the nose as some would believe. Straws were never considered an acceptable substitute for chopsticks when doing the Walrus Imitation. This means that the Walrus Imitation is a table antic that has historically been done almost exclusively in Chinese restaurants. With the rise in popularity of Chinese take out in the late 20th century home versions of the Walrus Imitation became more common. When asked whether straws placed in the nose could be considered a variation of the Walrus Imitation Dr. Zingue replied "Placing straws in your nose could at best only be described as making an ass of yourself."

On 2008-08-04 06:18, The Gnomon wrote:
5. You can stare past your straw while you scan the room for breastesses

For those ladies and gentleman that are not 'into' breastesses as the object of your optical desire... this works just as well for scanning the room for Butts.

Or legs, if that's your thing. Most locations serving tiki-inspired drinks have men in shorts and women in dresses with shorter hemlines.

A little something for everyone.....

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 7:54 AM

What I do is cut my straws in half when serving a drink in a double old fashion glass. That A) gets your nose closer, B) keeps the straw above the garnish(es) C) keeps it from being out of whack long D) allows you to drink the last drop without turning up the glass and being ill-mannered.

So, just custom size your straws and keep them. If the drink has no garnish, you can pass on the straw, but I always serve a lady a drink with a straw, unless it is of course, a cocktail or other glass that does not use a straw.

And I like the flexi-straw.

S

I stand corrected.Although i am known to make an ass of myself quite regularly.
Especially after consuming several drinks through a straw.

H

yes for straw. You can drink and drive much easier with a straw. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pages: 1 8 replies