Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hey! Some Updates 09/24/09

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

Hey, i decided to start a thread in here to show some paintings.
i just started; being inspired by some of the amazing painters on TC, i got some acrylics and canvas the other day, along with some brushes.

i've only done 2 things. a picture of myself just for practice on faces and a picture im starting today.

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2008-09-22 05:43 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2008-12-06 21:48 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2008-12-13 13:05 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2009-01-13 05:36 ]

[ Edited by: tiki duddy 2009-02-01 09:17 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2009-03-27 21:13 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2009-09-24 19:32 ]

Ah, the beginings of greatness... but I think, from the looks of your studio, you are taking the term "underground art" too seriously. Is that your basement?

No worries, as long as you're doing your art!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-08-11 17:22 ]

lol, thanks brad! it's actually our garage! haha, a wee bit messy!

ok, here's the rest of the painting number 2. tryed to get good clear pictures.
it's a lil tiki dude dancin around the fire

...pictures shot in different lighting and with flash off/on. tryed to get the best one but i posted all anyways!
Any advice, comments always appreciated!
Thanks!

[ Edited by: tiki duddy 2008-08-12 18:18 ]

Cool composition, makes me feel like a voyeur.... except I'd rather be spying on a bikini-clad wahine.

T

Hey Tiki Duddy! Looks like you're off to a great start! Your self portrait is incredible! I like your second painting as well... it could be an illustration for a cool children's book!

Way to go!!! You are on your way. Keep doing those paintings and when you aren't doing that get back to carvin. Just kidding. I like your night surfer painting.

Aloha!!

Really great start. You already have a great fluid and fun style! Keep it up and develop it!! Love the vivid palette too!!

H

Nice job, I like the self portrait, keep us posted.

Hey, TikiMango!- im glad others see it how i wanted it to come out! :D

TOBUNGA~ thanks much! im pretty happy with the self portrait, the colors arnt done to well though, but oh well!

SpermWhale~ thanks alot too, and i DO indend to continue to carve!

Dirk~ Hello! the words mean much! im going to try different styles untill i develop my own and get better with it. thanks!

Hiltiki~ Thanks alot, i'll definatly keep in touch!

I'll have some more progress on the paints once i...start a new one :lol:
i've got a couple of sketches i could post too yet though!
bye for now!

Just a little something i was working on tonight.

it may look like the Death Star....
but it's not

More soon!

TD~
Okay, u know I totally support you starting da art. I got nothing but aloha for you. So, please take this as said with sincere aloha.
Here's a tip from an cranky old dog who's made a LOT of art mistakes.

Art tip) When you have light sources in your paintings, the rule is, to make them believable you MUST make them the brightest things in the paintings. Especially fire. I know you're moon is a light source, that's good. But the fire has to be even brighter to have the illusion of real fire. The leaves in the jungle have to come way down in brightness compared to the flames.

I know it's hard to post half finished work in front of the tiki tribe (scares the heck out of an introvert like me, I don't think I could have done it at your age) and I so respect you doing so now.

Okay, I'll get off the soap box now.

Big aloha to you D.
B~

Thanks Much Brad!!
you couldnt be more right, i tryed to make the moon bright but didnt think of the effect the fire has on the leaves aswell.
Big help!

here's some updates, worked on it a little bit more last night and this morning so far.

It still looks a bit like a laser,
but that SHOULD change soon.

minor progress:

i'll have it finished up tomorrow im pretty sure
anything i should finish it with? a gloss? some sort of protective coat?

I didn't know I was supposed to put on a protective sealant on my paintings, till about number 9 or so. I figured, they are plastic. Well, you can. there's the spray on, but I noticed that it can cloud the dark a tad. the art store folks lead me to liquid brush on. You gotta experiment.

TD

Thanks Brad, for the info!

ok, been lil bit sick so i havent been hanging in the cold garage too much
it's also been raining and all gloomy like.

BUT, i'll fill y'all in on some small sketches im planning on turning onto canvas
i just need a little practice before i want to attempt some of them:
(poor quality pics)

~some pirates searching for a place to bury their treasure

~a couple of scallywaggs having it out

~a place where time stands still

just a couple of my scribblings, i'll have some paint pictures soon!

There is such joy in painting or working clay. Art is so soothing and fun and great to share. Keep on enjoying yourself and sharing and we will keep watching. Wendy

I

Heya TD!

Thanks for checking out my artwork and sharing yours! I'm looking forward to your paintings.

The truth is, it's all practice--so break some eggs and make your omelettes! :)

Take care,

I.

Alright!
had a burst of motivation early this morning.
so i busted out my painting stuff

here's the sketch (in the little book) my first time using our scanner, forgot our printer had one...

9am-ish?

probably about 11am

just starting on the sandy beach shading.

that's it so far. im super pumped about the waves, having never drawn crashing waves yet. i'll have some pictures up by tonight probably.
thanks!

alright, i worked on this one a little bit yesterday after school.
im having a little bit of trouble with the log and the lighting around it, it just wants to blend into the backround a little too much.
i stopped yesterday before i got frustrated :lol:

i already lightened up the area around the fire and around the log a little bit, but once i get the actual Hue of the fire dancing around the sand i think that'll help out.
Any advice always welcome! :D
More soon

right on Duddy!
that background wave is coming together....
lightening the sand around the fire -good foresight!
don't let the log get you down....you'll nail it..
if it becomes a problem,do some sketchbook studies first.....
that's what i always do...
or do a watercolor or ink wash study
to figure out the lighting....
stoked you're stoked on painting!
your enthusiasm and creativity will
make it easier each session!

TD~
Wave looks very nice! Well done!

LLT is right. I sometimes do a small color study. Do it on the computer and you can changes colors easily.
Remember you the teaches of Tim Hildebrandt - warm light source means cool shadows. Go ahead and warm up the
sand closer to the fire area. Oranges and lighter to dark yellows. Save the light shades for the fire. The fire will be the light souse so it's gotta be the brightest thing in the painting.

Looking good!

Kenny!
Brad!
Thanks much for the comps and advice!
i took some pictures the other day of the progress, just havent put them up yet. i'll do it tonight when i get some more done on it

Alright, here's some progress shots from the last couple days
i started on the hill and base of the tree this morning..

Thanks for the Support!
More Soon!

TD~
Not a bad palm tree. I think you got a very nice palm frond look. I find it palm fronds very tough. They have a hundred little leaves, and if you try to represent them all, you'll go nuts and end up over working the thing, and if you try to only suggest them you sometimes get a non plam looking mush.

However, you got a good palm going there.

It's got the suggestion of fronds, and a nice depth to the bushy tree bit.

Now I hate to make any suggestions, because the tree is coming out so nice. But, if I don't say anything, I'm not really doing my job as a fellow art collective member. So...... remember your camp fire is on the ground below the tree. Is the light hitting the tree correctly?

TD, any and all suggestions I make are only as valuable as you decide they are. It's your painting, and you're the one teaching yourself to paint. (and you're doing well).

Keep going, your doing great!

Thanks, Brad!
palm trees are the funnest and best kind of trees i can create lol

as for the lighting-i'm currently thinking it over, i need to make the leaves near the top darker, but i also need to consider the moonlight.
still working it out, though!
thanks for the help!

RH

Give 'em hell!

Comin along good so far Duds.....
remember..
Moonlight is not as intense as firelight
Moon=a fuzzy glow
fire light is more extreme cause it's closer...
After about 20 paintings
you won't even think about the lighting
it'll just happen!
ROCK-N-ROLLA!

Alright, got a bit done last night.
here's a little update:

I am loving that palm tree... really.
Night skys are tricky. It's really just black, but that can be uninteresting. So you got the right idea: Mixing in shades of blue or purple to break it up. U gonna do stars? That can be a whole lotta fun!

Good Work TD~

:D
Thanks Brad, i havent decided on the stars yet, that's something i've been waiting to decide at the end, if it needs the little extra touch i'll definatly put them in there, i just want to make sure i do them right and effective.
More Soon!

I agree it's a great start. I'm no pro but as far as sealing paintings goes I've always used spray on type stuff. About 75% of my paintings have actually been sprayed with engine clear coat! It doesn't darken the work hardly at all. The clear polyurethanes work good as well. There have been a couple times I've sprayed the piece, saw a problem with the painting, painted the correction right over the top of the clear coat and then hit it with a second clear coat. It works.
Keep plugging away.
Cheers.

Matt's right about the clear....Brush on works but test first....
Looking good Duddles!
I wanna live on top of that hill!
Stars are fun!
don't use all white for the stars-use some lt.blue and dulled down yellow...
a fun start is to dip the tip of your finger in the paint-wipe most of it off
then dab it here and there on the canvas-if it's too much just wipe off-then,in a circular motion smear those dabs into a fadey gradation-then when dry,put a dot or cross-if you vary colors of the star and the glow,and alternate between dots and crosses-more dots-you'll start to get a cool easy starry sky..not tooo much tho! less is more!
Stoked this is givin you the painting Fever!

Thanks Matt!~ appreciate the tips!

Kenny~ thanks for the star info!

couple updates:

highlights on tree and the log. and i colored in the path

illuminated the shack a little more..

some progress from a couple days ago..

TD

Some minor progress on the fire area today...

TD

quick before-school update here..
working on the fire a little more

RH

So far, so fun. Keep pluggin'.

Fire Progress:

H

Fire looks pretty good.

TD~

Getting into the swirling shades of night... good. One other tip, okay two other tips: I got this one from another Tiki Central artist - try shading big areas like skys with your fingers... hides the brush strokes. Hmmmm... guess me and Kenny are telling you to finger paint.

Tip two - remember young skywalker...the light source (aka the fire) has to be brighter than anything else in the painting for it to seem like the actual source of the light.

Looking good... keep up 'da cool work!

Thanks Hiltiki and Brad!

ok, been working on the fire lighting and i touched up the tree a liiittle bit. also starting the rocks by the beach

TD

Alright, started a New Painting last night!

Ok, it's not exactly Tiki- but Hey...it's Jimmy Page

:D

The BeachHouse painting still isnt done-needed something fresh

Hey Duddy - what media do you like the most? I like the loose brushwork on the Page piece, it's watercolor isn't it?

Hey, Robb~ Thanks Much!
it's actually Acrylic, was a fun little project. learned from it too, of course
i like the acrylic-but i still want to try oil, not to mention Velvet is very interesting aswell, look forward to trying it yet someday

thinking of doing a Jimi Hendrix-same style as Page, and then to finish the little...series, maybe a Jim Morrison

More to come

Hey! havent posted anything up in a while
here's a spur of the moment one:
-started last night; i'll probably finish him up today

...a little progress on the hand on this last picture

everything is just roughed out right now so dont worry, i'll fix the bubbles...
and the background as best i can- i started just by slathering down some back color. didnt know what i was wanting buuut needed to start on SOMETHING!

Very cute monkey starting to take form!
Feels good to get back to bizznazz,eh Duddy!
i'm curious what you're gonna do with them bubbles!

Thanks, Kenny- good to be posting something again

ok, so i Didnt end up finishing this guy yet.
i've only done a bit last night and this morning sinse last update..

i've been working on getting the form of his face down right
the brow is getting there, im workin on making his mouth area look more rounded.
also added where his lips meet-experimenting with that too.

i might be done tonight. we'll see.
more soon

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2009-01-14 09:11 ]

Pages: 1 2 58 replies