Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

a huge mahalo to all at tiki oasis from the creepy creeps.

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

S

this should probably be in the music section, but i would just like to thank everyone for the unbelievable response to sat nights show! also if anyone has any pics of the event we would love to see them! again thank you, and we hope to see all of you again.

R

Hi Sleestak,
Creepy Creeps kicked ass, we really enjoyed the show! It was nice to meet you earlier today. My girlfriend and I listened to your CD all the way back to LA, love it! Hope to see you guys perform again soon.

Mahalo!
RanTiki

You rawked....we loved you. You sure know how to get the Zombies up a jumpin...the one dancing on my balcony was out of control due to your awesome tunes!!! Thanks for a great show.

i dig you guys, stoaked you creeps played this year, i picked up the last record i needed the other night. ive got pics of you doods playing, i just need to upload them

thanks, we had a blast! im pretty sure that this has been the first oasis with crowd surfing? hahaha, that was crazy! great show!

T

that is so rad! thanks for posting! if anybody else has any and cares to share we would be hyped!

Yeah, you guys really rocked it. I can't wait to see you again, COME UP TO THE BAY AREA!!

Sleestak,
as we discussed before hand, I was very worried that the Creepy Creeps would be too Heavy for Tiki Oasis.
But I think for the most part you guys blew the crowd away.
and yeah the moshing and crowd surfing was crazy.
I hadn't been in a Pit in about 10 years.

Cheers to a great Tiki Oasis performance man,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-08-19 01:01 ]

B

I didn't know you were a Creepy Creep, Sleestak. Great show at Oasis! I enjoyed it a lot! Killer Voodoo Priest Witch Doctor costumes too! Keep rockin' it!

Bowana

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Aug 19, 2008 9:52 AM

On 2008-08-18 22:03, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
Yeah, you guys really rocked it. I can't wait to see you again, COME UP TO THE BAY AREA!!

Thats Right! You have to hit up the Bay Area...
You guys are fuckin Awesome!!!

I was in front of the elevator with a LARGE crowd of folks who didn't dig it and had all moved into the hallways to escape the noise. Oasis is not the place for a pit, man. When I heard that, I was really bummed. Bummed like I'd be if a rapper sampled Frank Sinatra. I've been contemplating this post for a couple of hours and was reluctant to state my opinion here because the Creepy Creeps ARE a good band, but there's a place for everything.

Ya know, we LOVE the Creepy Creeps and they put on a GREAT show. However, there did seem to a significant group of non-tiki teenagers towards the front of the stage not wearing wristbands, wanting to slam dance. In a way it was high energy = good. On the other hand it was odd for Tiki Oasis...wish it didn't happen cause it took away from the experience and the show..and sorry to sound pissy, but I didn't want my nose broken at TO...I was at their elbow level. Thankfully, all turned out well and the show proceeded awesomely. Maybe tighter security next time. Creepy Creeps, get your arses up the Bay Area. You guys f'n rock! Thanks for playing! :)

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2008-08-19 12:55 ]

the CC are one of my favorite bands, i didnt think it was too heavy for TO just because of this years theme, but i can see how some of the crowd would think so. I say turn up the reverb and play as fast as you can till your fingers bleed. I did notice abunch of non tiki people there without wristbands for the tunes though. i cant wait to see you creeps again, maybe our bands could play a show together sometime? creepy garage/surf and sci fi ska/surf sounds like a good combo to me! haha, anyways here are some pics!

MT

The Creepy Creeps really kicked ass. Crazy Al and I were laughing, while we were in it elbows deep, as we commented on crowd surfing being a first for Tiki Oasis this year. Yeah, it's a little extreme for Oasis, but the really cool thing was, the Creepy Creeps knew that, and told the audience that while they really appreciated the exuberance, they did need to take it a down a notch or two, because it wasn't appropriate for that particular venue. And for the most part the audience respectfully responded.

Oh, and yeah, Creepy Creeps, get your asses up to the San Francisco Bay Area!!! We all want to see you up here!!! There are tons of cool venues up here, or at the least you could play Tikitastic's house! (sorry to volunteer your services without asking, Mark!) :D

My only gripe, other than the lack of wristband monitoring (especially with that homeless dude that kept crashing our NorCal room party and wanting to spend the night/week/year in there on the sofa) was that the Creepy Creeps and Ghastly ones had pointed out that they had merchandise available for sale, but the vending was over for the day on Saturday night, and the bands all took off on Sunday morning. I was going to buy a bunch of their cd's, shirts, mug, and whatever other schwag they might have had hanging around - that was one of the things I was looking forward to in the vending area this year. Oh well, another time I guess. The show still rocked!

TG

LOVE the coffin keyboard!

I think we were in our room getting ready for the evening, so we heard you but didn't see you. Sounded awesome! Get on up here!

The Creepy Creeps kicked ass!

However, I can understand those who thought they were a bit wild for TO. From my vantage point there were some families feverously grabbing their blankets and children and fleeing for their safety like there was a pack of blood thirsty zombies (and large masked wrestlers) headed their way... :o

More significant to me than the first mosh pit/crowd surf at TO, that was the first pit I've seen where most people were wearing flip flops! :lol:

Sleestak- I have most of you guys' set on video! I only missed one song to change my disc. I will post on your myspace and on here once I get all my videos edited and uploaded to youtube.

There were some families(like mine) who took the kids up and danced. The kids loved the Creepy Creeps primal sound. I understand the initial surprised reaction by some but I think every once in a while it's great to shake things up a little. Oasis is a family event for sure and I did feel a little concern with the possible pit starting but the masked men were quick to settle them down and the band kept them cool as well.
I would never want to see Oasis become a big raging rock show....but every now and then...

The main thing is to keep the bulk of the local San Diego Bro crowd uninformed of what's going on. Some kids showed up that didn't belong and got a little aggressive during the latenight room parties, one telling me that he was here with one of the bands so he had a right to go wherever he wanted........truth is, if he's got no wristband and he knows the bands, he's the LAST guy that should be there. Not blaming this on the Creeps, just throwing it out there. Last year at TO7, I was actually able to forget that I was in SanDiego. This year, I was constantly reminded. I dumped over a grand last weekend and for that, I want to feel like I'm on a working vacation. Although Tiki Oasis is IN San Diego, the less San Diego, the better in my Opinion. We don't need another Viva Las Vegas on our hands.

HOMETOWN HEROES! Huzzah!

Thanks CREEPS! I over-heard dozens of Freaky Boutiki tent customers on Sunday talking about their new favorite live band!

I've been shouting into the wind for at least a year about getting you guys for Oasis. A fine fit and after eight years I imagine a welcome and exciting departure from our traditionally exotica dominated event.

Kinda like getting a Red Hot in a box of Mike & Ikes!

PS I need a CC Tee in extra fat, please.- Hodaddy

thanks for all the kind words. i mean, you cant please everyone! of course some people are not going to like it, or think its to crazy, but heres hows i sees it. we were asked to play the event first of all, we did not ask. i was totally nervous about even doing it! we went on after the king and when i left i think i heard traditional hawaiian stuff going on. when we got back to the event and i noticed everybody was sitting on blankets, my first thoughts were "why the f are we playing this?" after our first song the crowd responded really really really well! i thought i would have heard crickets! we have gained an enormous fan base from t.o.8 like you would never believe! as far as people slamming or crowd surfing, well there is absolutely nothing we can do except ask people to mellow out, which we did. and as far as people who attended the parties or randoms who read about the event in the paper, we dont know them, or have much to do with any of that! on the other hand how rad is it when you go to a show, especially a surf of garage type of show, (and i know all of you have seen this) but everybody is to intimidated to move to the sounds? ill tell you right now its hard enough to try to make something that will be remembered let alone liked, and when you perform you want to see people cut a rug! we are a dance band, and we bring the ultimate dance party! we may be to wild for the mild, but getting an oncore and hearing people chant only leads me to believe that we did a good job, and it indeed was the right time and the right place! i watched thee swank bastards play in a room the night before an no one was doin anything! these guys were ripping!!! to someone in a band, thats like....well do you think they like it or??? i deeply apologize if we did offend anyone or scared people off, but some of those zombies almost scared me off honestly. good job people. tiki oasis is a family environment for sure, and my wife and 2 year old were right up in front dancing the whole time. the tiny creeps make it all worth while. look into the vids closely and you will see all of your favorite artists/ and carvers (which i think do a good job representing the community) shaking their asses in full effect! again i have to say, to me that seems like a good thing. thanks again to all who support! heres a live action photo of two mini creeps ripping the shred! my son wolfgang in mid pogo (he's 2), and the keyboardist's daughter willow (she's 2.5). doin it for the kids man! "fink about it"

A
V<
http://www.davewarshaw.com

[ Edited by: sleestak 2008-08-20 12:33 ]

You guys sounded great. We didn't get to see up close but we listened to your set from the restaurant (even my 2 y/o loved it). Seemed to me that most of the attendees enjoyed it.
Way to shake things up a little!

Terra

Man- my wife and I wish we were there. Being a fan of lots of music I definatly feel T.O. in the past really had very little dancing and audience participation..seriously. A handfull of people only get up and shake their tailfeathers. I am so stoked that you brought it to life. So I have the L.P. and a 45 with the widows. Is their any other recordings in the works or already out?

Dave shouldn't you be in bed

Hey Dave......great time vending next to you guys and great job by the creeps. I think it was a great addition to the show line up, giving something fun and a little crazy as an alternative to the more traditional mellow options. You can't please everyone but I thought you guys did a perfect job of stopping the crowd surfing and then just ripping. I hope that Otto and the rest see how variety adds to the show.

And before we start getting up in arms about some kids who got in....who let that tiki carving freelancer sneak in again, drop off his tikis by the main stage, squat space across from paying vendors and then proceed to tell everyone all night he was going to score some hash?????? hmmmmmm I think some security would solve most of these issues.

But as this is the creepy creeps thread....loved the flavor hope to see you at the next Tiki Oasis

On 2008-08-20 13:27, Clysdalle wrote:
Hey Dave......great time vending next to you guys and great job by the creeps. I think it was a great addition to the show line up, giving something fun and a little crazy as an alternative to the more traditional mellow options. You can't please everyone but I thought you guys did a perfect job of stopping the crowd surfing and then just ripping. I hope that Otto and the rest see how variety adds to the show.

And before we start getting up in arms about some kids who got in....who let that tiki carving freelancer sneak in again, drop off his tikis by the main stage, squat space across from paying vendors and then proceed to tell everyone all night he was going to score some hash?????? hmmmmmm I think some security would solve most of these issues.

But as this is the creepy creeps thread....loved the flavor hope to see you at the next Tiki Oasis

What's wrong with a little Hash?

A group of people who celebrate drunkeness , with a small contingent worried about a little loud music and a crowd having too much fun dancing to a band . . .

Ironic , diabolical and dubious at best .

Maybe next year there can be a sound proof oxygen tent for the faint of constitution , incase it " gets out of hand " again .

poppycock , that's what I say

The Creepy Creeps were excellent...I thought they were quite appropriate for the theme and Tiki Oasis as well.

My one gripe - to the fat kid moshing with the mohawk and the zombie make up...you're like 13 or 14 now...time for deodorant, son. You nasty. On a side note....Crazy Al has way more energy than any 14 year old kid. He can kick your ass at pogo-ing any day. Oh and he smells better than you.

Great show guys!

On 2008-08-20 13:21, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Man- my wife and I wish we were there. Being a fan of lots of music I definatly feel T.O. in the past really had very little dancing and audience participation..seriously. A handfull of people only get up and shake their tailfeathers. I am so stoked that you brought it to life. So I have the L.P. and a 45 with the widows. Is their any other recordings in the works or already out?

Ironic how a band with a keyboard in the shape of a coffin brought the party to life. I bought the cd and danced like a geek almost the whole set. Creepy Creeps are some super cool hodads!

Hey… I’ve been “finkn’ about it” and I just wanted to reiterate my thoughts.
I really dug the Creepy Creeps show, and think they were a great addition to TO, especially considering the theme!

I embellished my observation in my previous post for amusement purposes only, not to fan a spark of something negative. I was so busy videoing, and trying not to shake my ass, that I missed the fact that the dancing wrestler duo was actually getting people to simmer down when needed, that is cool. I “fink” you guys handled the mixed crowd great.

Like you said you can’t please everybody, but based on what I saw, and what I read here, there are only a handful that did not dig the Creepy Creeps playing at TO!

B

CREEPY CREEEEEEEEEEEPS!!!!!!!

the set did bring the...ahem...dead evening back to life in a BIG way.

I saw Otto shaking his booty out there, as did my 47 year old ass!

The Creeps looked...um...creepy as hell, but it looked to me like a helluva good time was had by all, mini-creeps too.

Actually, i didnt see the old-fogies take a powder until the Ghastly Ones went on.

So yeah, i will lobby for the Creeps to be axed back next year for sure!

Creepy Creeeeps Rocked!

( the other One's put me to sleep :)

oh also! i did notice how you made planet of the apes more kid friendly!

S

thx again peeps! we really appreciate all the support!

B

Regarding the comment about the young man who may need deoderant - what a totally obnoxious thing to say. I'm sure it was unpleasant for your nose in such close quarters, but it was only for a while. I'm sure you could have found a more sensitive way to express yourself here.

Regarding this being a family event - well, if you're willing to get stinking drunk in front of your kids - what's a little hard-driving music? I thought it all went together well and hope that future shows are as diverse as this one was. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE ALL the music that we heard - it was just refreshing to hear a little something else as well.

As for the Creepy Creeps - wow! I'm pretty much an old stick in the mud regarding music, but my 18 year old (who was REALLY bummed she couldn't be there) has been turning me on to more hip music in the last few years and I totally appreciated your sound and appearance. This was our first TO and we had no clue what to expect so I just assumed music like yours was par for the course. I immediately purchased a vinyl and t-shirt for my daughter but I'm not beyond snagging that vinyl once in a while for a personal listen!

I wasn't there, but I am happy to read that there was a pit at TO8! Shouldn't be a big surprise considering that many TCers are old-school punks. BigTikiDude's comment made me realize that my almost 47-year old "ass" has been in a few pits this year and seeing the comments from what sounds like members that were mildly alarmed by this kind of activity makes me think that maybe I need to grow up, oy.

On 2008-08-20 14:30, Jason Wickedly wrote:
The Creepy Creeps were excellent...I thought they were quite appropriate for the theme and Tiki Oasis as well.

My one gripe - to the fat kid moshing with the mohawk and the zombie make up...you're like 13 or 14 now...time for deodorant, son. You nasty. On a side note....Crazy Al has way more energy than any 14 year old kid. He can kick your ass at pogo-ing any day. Oh and he smells better than you.

Great show guys!

Ha ha ha yeah that kid did reeeek.
and I was next to Al alot of the time, trying to keep up with him moshing pogoing, and slamming,
and he plum wore me out.
that guy is a monster.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-08-21 21:50 ]

H

On 2008-08-21 21:45, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2008-08-20 14:30, Jason Wickedly wrote:

Great show guys!

Ha ha ha yeah that kid did reeeek.
...Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-08-21 20:09, beadtiki wrote:
Regarding the comment about the young man who may need deoderant - what a totally obnoxious thing to say. I'm sure it was unpleasant for your nose in such close quarters, but it was only for a while. I'm sure you could have found a more sensitive way to express yourself here.

"Totally obnoxious thing to say" ??? Huh? Apparently you (beadtiki) didn't have to smell it. Were you watching the show from the safety of your balcony? "...such close quarters" were not required to catch wind of said invasive b.o. problem. Given the severity of the stench, I'd have to say that Jason's comments are highly understated.

Nevertheless, the Creepy Creeps indeed rocked hard and made up for the foul air.

I wasn't even there and I could smell that kid!!

S

Not sure what scarrier..Smelly Kid...Or 47 year olds in a pit at a tiki fest..

The CC's rocked TO8 and stole the show! My biggest regret was not picking up a CD because I left my wallet up in my room.

B

Hakalugi (great name, by the way!) - I WISH I had had a room that looked out over the festivities - alas I was relegated to a golf-course view on the far side. As to where we were, well, didn't have an opportunity to be up close and personal with the stage and the unfortunate kid with the BO, but we were down on the grass nonetheless. I guess I'm just amazed that an adult, such as yourself, would pick on a young man who may, by the way, read your comments, as I'm sure he was dragged along by his folks. I'm no stranger to being in close quarters with those who do not bathe regularly or wear deodorants, but I certainly wouldn't go around telling them how badly they reek. I'm sure no adult has told this kid he needs to start using SOMEthing to cover the odor - and kids don't even notice they stink.

Anyhow - don't want to hi-jack the thread any longer. Just thought that civility is slowly going the way of the dinosaur and it's disappointing.

Long Live Creepy Creeps!

MT

On 2008-08-22 15:19, beadtiki wrote:
Just thought that civility is slowly going the way of the dinosaur and it's disappointing.

So is bathing, evidently, and that's disappointing too. Look, the kid was at least 17, old enough to drive a car, and flunk out of community college. He was not some poor smelly little elementary school kid picked on in the school yard and dragged there by his parents, nor was he afflicted with a genetic bathing disorder beyond his control (maybe). He was some big smelly teenager almost of (legal) drinking age that crashed the party. If you're old enough to drive, date, party, go to shows, and crash Oasis, one would think you'd be old enough to bathe. Remember, we are supposed to be Sophisticated Savages, and part of sophistication in my book includes personal hygiene. If anyone was lacking in civility, it was the non wrist band wearing stinky party crasher. Gheesh!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed - and believe me, I never would have picked on a young man because of his weight (any of you that know me know I am the very LAST person in the world that can talk about that!) or even if he was just standing there, watching the show and dancing like everyone else. Instead, he and his friends decided to start a slam pit front and center. I don't mean to single him out, but he was the one that stood out from his friends due to his size, demeanor (hellbent on knocking down everything/everyone in his path), and aforementioned Zombie makeup, mohawk, B.O., and Misfits t-shirt. And on second guess, yeah, he was quite a bit older than 14 since I have a 12 year old, and this kid was quite a bit larger and older than him. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see bands like Zombie Surf Camp, the Creeps, and the Ghastly Ones at every Oasis. But I also understand that they are not every ones cup of tea, and a bunch of kids purposely trying to spoil the party just amplifies the wilder aspect of these bands.

On another note, just why IS Tiki the Punk Rock Retirement Plan? Seriously, I've never met so many 40-50 year old ex-punkers in my life! Just think, in 30 years my buddy with the Misfits T and the Mohawk could be a full-fledged Tikiphile.

TM

It's not just Tiki.

Surf, Rockabilly, even lounge and swing. Most of those music scenes are fully staffed by ex-punkers....

and the ex rockers,well, we all know where THEY go!! (Jimmy Buffet concerts!!!)

Regarding the stinking zombie problem, I think the original poster of that comment (Jason) was kind of being humorous about the whole thing. I did not think it was all that harsh....
Let's not strive for political correctiveness ALL the time, kay?

TT

Whenever I catch a whiff of someone with B.O. I always try to let em know, and have done many times, quite often by simply exclaming "F$@k! you stink!" and gladly accept the same courtesy in return. People that find that rude probably let their loved-ones walk around all day stinking, with food on their faces, toilet paper trailing from their shoes, fly undone with a "Kick Me,I love it" sign taped to their backs..

On 2008-08-22 18:38, Tiki Trav wrote:
Whenever I catch a whiff of someone with B.O. I always try to let em know, and have done many times, quite often by simply exclaming "F$@k! you stink!" and gladly accept the same courtesy in return. People that find that rude probably let their loved-ones walk around all day stinking, with food on their faces, toilet paper trailing from their shoes, fly undone with a "Kick Me,I love it" sign taped to their backs..

These guys don't realize that the kid was clean as a whistle......he was wearing the new body spritzer by Backalley Jim, called "Gutterpunk". Smells like onions and cumin, with a light overlay of old sock and skidmark. Just be thankful that he wasn't wearing "Homeless sex". It's very posh in larger cities.

Yes, not bathing is disrespectful to all of those around you.

he must have been British

Pages: 1 2 79 replies