Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

September Carve-O-Rama Sunday 9/28 at Hodaddy Lagoon

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

Wow! Things have been really crazy since Oasis. It took us a while to firm up a date and location for the September Carve-O-Rama.

Hodadhank has graciously offered up his home for our carving amusement.

Since he lives in a quiet neighborhood, it might be best to do your chainsaw cuts at home so we can stick to chisels at Hank's place.

Also, everyone's welcome to bring their bathing suits and pool toys since there actually is a lagoon available for swimming and such.

I'll definitely be there.

Who else is in?

In! Sounds great!

Aloha!

I've never been to a chop much less hosted one. Unless you count Oki Oki or Balboa Park, I guess you'd call me a "Communinty Carving Novice". But I recently sat in with some of the SD tiki guild at Oasis and immediately learned something new, namely that Bowana could sharpen a bowling ball! Anyhow I wanted to spend more time with these kind talented folks and others like them.

ALL God's Children are invited with the understanding that it's Sunday and the Lord Hates Drama. lol!

I'll post directions to Hodaddy Lagoon shortly but if you're standing on the sidewalk in front of Freaky Boutiki and start walking east, you've arrived when your feet get wet. And there's free parking east on Santa Clara for unloading gear.

Who would like to join me for Tikis & Brunch?

... steps from the site of Driftwood Dining Room ('51-'61)!

I am in!

P

i'd love to be there hank. you and rita are so fun.

On 2008-09-17 22:42, pdrake wrote:
i'd love to be there hank.

Perry?! Didn't you used to live above the orange curtain somewhere?

I was JUST IN VEGAS dying for a tiki buddy to run around w/ while Rita was poolside! The Riviera sent us a free week just in time for a craft show where I found some cool New Zealand style carved jade & I thought of you and Paipz! Tried to get a hold of Tiki Lee too but had to check out early & make a quick exit to Phoenix. Dig this...

My Paw-in-law's octogenarian best friend was bludgeoned to death while closing his lifelong mortgage business. Jeez. You know times are tough when people start killing each other over their mortgage.

B

Hey all, That location looks Killa!

Unfortunately, Breydan goes in on next Tuesday, and he will have to stay at the Hospital for 3-4 days...puts him coming home Fri. - Sat. I'm not sure what role eMpa will be able to play when he comes home, but I want to keep myself open to help out. I will try to make it down for a hand full of chips and a how-do if I can.

Peace

M

Ooo, I get back from Munich a day or two before that, so I should be able to make it over. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still hungover with the amount of drinking I'm doing. :)

Sundays are sacred -- FOOTBALL!
I'm in, cause as far as I can tell, the Colts aren't on the roster for week 4.

B

im in,always up for a beach chop!

I'll make sure that guy that is sleeping is gone by chop time.

Dang-it, Hank!! I'm booked that weekend. I'll see you at Lunatic Fringe, though, right?

Hank, will this be a catered affair, or are we doing our usual 'potluck' style grinds?

B

Okay Hank, I made a few re-arrangments to my schedule. I can make it to the Hodaddy Hodown!

Bowana

B

MUSUBI!!!

and i should be able to make it. I havent had a full day of carving for a longggg time

Um Bill, I guess we're having some Musubi! lol!

I have no idea what I'm doing as a Chop organizer so if you guys usually potluch that's easiest. Please know my stove is on the fritz and only my gas range is working till repaired.

Should we start a list of what people will be bringing?

There are plenty quaint resturants and coffeehouses just steps away and, heck, The Atoll is just up the lagoon @ the Catamaran if anybody requires a 5-star meal!

Good things to bring in addition to your wood and steel:

A drop cloth for the grass
A Burro
A wide brimmed hat & sunscreen
A folding beach chair
A cooler
A snorkle & goggles
A desire to get wet and clothing that allows same
(my buddy & owner of Surfari Surf School may stop
by if anybody wants to try some old timey stand up
paddling to cool off!
Hodaddy Lagoon is 69 degrees today!)

Also any small extra logs the wood wealthy might spare.
(Novices will drop by and I'd love to be encouraging
and instructional. It always feels so good turning
someone new onto our hobby! Like Johnny Appleseed!)

Hey guys anything else I should be doing gimme a kick in the ass.

dont think ill be able to make it now

:(

Hank, I have a couple chunks of wood for ya, one teak, one maple, and two mahagony. Sharpen up your knife!

Thanks for the water temp. I was wondering if the bay water was going to be warmer than the ocean side, but I guess it's about the same.

What's standup paddling? Like a gondola?

H

Of all the Sundays in the world you had to pick the only one I can't make. :(
Your place looks amazing, hopefully next time.

I'd like to try to make this one, will a TV with football be readily available for all to see? (I'm a junkie that way!)

TikiThomas - Was It something I said? :(

Bill - Am I supposed to sharpen these dang things? Oh, Thanks for the donation! Yeah the water's nice right now. Ricky sez the Ocean's already dropped to wetsuit temps but the bay is board shorty goodness.

This is traditional stand-up. Some cats do this on HUGE waves!

Hill - Of all the gin joints in all the... hmmm yeah, if this remains a mellow carving picnic and not a toga party I expect I might wanna do it again someday!

TBird - Consider this your first Football intervention! No TV. You can Carve a Football if you must and if you start to freak out when the you hear the neighborhood cheering might let you walk around the corner to GUAVA BEACH and check the scores for us! lol!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-09-23 10:00 ]

JT

Sweet. Count me in!
As for food I can bring chips & salsa, and maybe some bratz'.

I just got back from walking the hounds. A neighbor just cut some euk limbs. If anyone is desperate, Ill go get the big pieces. Maybe Tiki Trav could carve something out of them before he sails off? Is euk carve worthy? Or does it just stink?

B

Erik-
Euk for Eucalyptus?

Eucalyptus is a great wood for carving, but it has a habit of splitting after it dries out. If the ones you've got are fresh from the tree, there's a 50/50 chance that they will be usable. Give them a few weeks to dry out and time will be the judge and jury.

Hanks, what's the hours on this shindig? What time can we show up?

On 2008-09-25 07:16, Bowana wrote:

Euk for Eucalyptus?

Ha! Euk=Eukanuba. I meant the euk with the "C" not the "K". :)

Thanks Dave, I'll toss some of the euc in Mom's yard and let it dry. It is too wet for this chop.

I'M IN!
Might try to drag some
SPECIAL GUEST STARS!
I'll bring some chips or sumthin' to eat...
Artist Food!
Mieko! Bring my pendant! :)
This is gonna be FUN!
I look forward to being able to hang and create with all y'alls!
GROG! you goin?

Directions?
from the 5 South would be great!
Mahalos Hank and Rita!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 25, 2008 9:22 AM

Nope.

I've gotten PMs from Ohana echoing Sunday as a bad time for anything other than football! I was hoping to build a sand tiki with Augie, but... Like Father Like Son! lol!

Fortunately there's always a tiki craft event just around the corner so the All-American pastimes of Tiki Carving & TV Football may be forever balanced.

Seriously. Thank you for the messages and PMs of interest and support for this particular event. There's a cool event coming up at Billy's and I've heard some chatter about a Halloween Hack, so you never have to wait very long to participate in a distinctive San Diego Tiki event...

Very exciting! Looks like the rouges gallery includes...

Tiki-Kate
4WDtiki
NoNaMe
Meiko
CheekyGirl
Buzzard
Bowana
PokoloLolita
T Birdman (you can do it!)
JabTiki
Jackhammer Cait
The Reesenik
Clysdalle
LLT & Company

As Kate mentioned my neighborhood pretty quiet so please plan on mallet work and if nessessary do chainsaw roughcutting at home.

DON'T FORGET YOUR TOOLS!!
BYOB & Potluch
A drop cloth for the grass
A Burro
A wide brimmed hat & sunscreen
A folding beach chair
A cooler
A snorkle, goggles, towel & raft
A desire to get wet and clothing that allows same

OK, LET THE STOKE BEGIN! What are you gonna work on?????

I've got alot of half finished pieces lying around so maybe i'll use the positive group mana to battle through to the finish with "The Tangaroa That Never Ends". However w bowana and Meiko both in attendance I'd be a fool not to do some hook knife work w/ them...OOOOOOOH ....

Directions to Hodaddy Lagoon

Hours: 10ish - Till Dusk sound good?

If you get to the beach early why not take a stroll through the Catamaran for some PNG inspiration!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-09-25 18:21 ]

B

hodad
if you really wanted to do it up right,whenever we do a chop at bills he always has half naked women feeding us grapes and fanning us with palmfronds,also the charger girls come out at breaktime to cheer us on to finish our tikis,its great!!!!!

wait,i think that was a dream

nevermind

B

Hey Hoodaddy! You don't have me on the list? I'm in dude...the kid is coming home tomorrow. I should be fine for Sunday, and I don't watch football since I left Colorado...Yes, I'm a Bronco fan...I think we just smoked the Chargers a week or so back?

BABS?!!! That piece of intel could bite you in the butt later! Shame on you! (Who am I kidding, I'm a Raiders fan, we know all about shame!)

I'm in, man. Should be great weather from what the forecast says.

getting work done faster than i thought, i should be in again

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2008 8:47 AM

Hi Guys! I won't be able to make it on Sunday. My son's baseball game is right in the middle of the day. I hope you all have a great time!

Zaya

This sounds totally fun, but we gotta work!

So, no go for the Skinny Dogs!

M
mieko posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2008 2:43 PM

I got back from Munich ok, and although I'm bummed to miss football, I'm planning on coming by. Will probably get my mom and dad to tag along as well.

Zaya and Skinny Dogs, sorry to read you won't be coming. :(

Mieko and other football fans, maybe someone can bring a small radio and we can follow the game stealthily.

On 2008-09-26 13:04, Skinny Dog wrote:
So, no go for the Skinny Dogs!

"Paleease come on down!? Oh, please!"

Really she is just asking for a taco. But,.....
I'll see you cats next time.

Tacos?!! WTH? No wonder she's so skinny. She's got Montezuma's revenge! What's for desert? A bowl of chili? lol!

I hope mapquest willl help you find your way to Mission Boulevard at least ansd here are some general pointers for unloading and parking

Heading NORTH on Mission Boulevard from Belmont Park's historic seaside roller coaster, just turn east at Santa Clara.

Heading SOUTH on Mission Boulevard keep an eye open for this joint because you'll be turning east at the next stoplight onto Santa Clara.

Ahead of you you will see The recreation center free parking lot, BUT FIRST turn Left onto the one way street at the Santa Clara Woman's Center, then Right after the bright yellow house. If you see a garage with a caution sign you are directly behind our house for the closest possible unloading zone! Once lightened we'll direct you back to Santa Clara to park.

Just head across the lagoon to the ancient house that looks like the flying bridge of the Edmund Fitzgerald hanging over the boardwalk. 3732 Bayside Walk.

Settle in for a drama-free afternoon of aloha, art (& quiet transistor football!) LOL! Oh! Rita bought muffins & juice. Mmmmmmmm... See you tomorrow. -Hodaddy

That looks like such a nice, peaceful place to carve, man. I'll be there around 10, with the wife and kid in tow.

i know i keep flip flopping, but i may not be able to make it again. If im there im there, hope i can make it!

On 2008-09-25 08:45, little lost tiki wrote:

Directions?
Mahalos Hank and Rita!

Kenny, south on I5 past La Jolla to the beaches/ Garnet/ Balboa exit. Turn right at Garnet Ave (fenced & shut gas station). Garnet will fork. Take the left lane to Grand Ave. all the way to Mission and turn left. Streets are alphabetical except for Mission (which would be "A") left at Santa Clara. :)

On 2008-09-25 08:45, little lost tiki wrote:
Directions?

google map is your friend. :wink: "3732 Bayside Walk San Diego, CA 92109" copy/paste

B

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Chargers...just not the mostest...Turn up the volume so I can hear too please. See you guys tomorrow.

Sir Bowie...call me in the morning. I may have to drive too.

sports....eh!
who needs sports when you got art!

Well, here's what i got for directions...

Merge onto I-5 S via EXIT 11A toward SAN DIEGO.
 79.4 mi
Take EXIT 23 toward BALBOA AVENUE/GARNET AVENUE.
 0.3 mi
Merge onto MISSION BAY DR.
 0.2 mi
Turn RIGHT onto GARNET ST/GARNET AVE.
 0.5 mi
GARNET ST/GARNET AVE becomes BALBOA AVE.
 0.5 mi
BALBOA AVE becomes GRAND AVE.
 1.2 mi
Turn LEFT onto MISSION BLVD.
 0.9 mi
Turn LEFT onto SANTA CLARA PL.
 0.1 mi
Turn LEFT onto BAYSIDE LN.
 0.0 mi
End at 3732 Bayside Walk San Diego, CA 92109-7232
 Estimated Time: 1 hour 35 minutes Estimated Distance: 86.78 miles

and

Kenny, south on I5 past La Jolla to the beaches/
Garnet/ Balboa exit.
Turn right at Garnet Ave (fenced & shut gas station).
Garnet will fork.
Take the left lane to Grand Ave.
all the way to Mission and turn left.
Streets are alphabetical except for Mission (which would be "A") left at Santa Clara

and this...

I hope mapquest willl help you find your way to Mission Boulevard
and here are some general pointers for unloading and parking

Heading NORTH on Mission Boulevard from Belmont Park's historic seaside roller coaster,
just turn east at Santa Clara.
Heading SOUTH on Mission Boulevard keep an eye open for the freak factory because
you'll be turning east at the next stoplight onto Santa Clara.
Ahead of you you will see The recreation center free parking lot,
BUT FIRST turn Left onto the one way street at the Santa Clara Woman's Center,
then Right after the bright yellow house.
If you see a garage with a caution sign you are directly behind our house for the
closest possible unloading zone!
Once lightened we'll direct you back to Santa Clara to park.
Just head across the lagoon to the ancient house that looks like the
flying bridge of the Edmund Fitzgerald hanging over the boardwalk.
3732 Bayside Walk.

North?
South?
i can barely figger out
left and right...
:)

both of my SURPRISE SPECIAL GUESTS bailed
so i may or may not be there...
i'm a spazz with directions and get nervous easily
especially driving solo...
and when it comes to long drives...not good.
So i usually get someone else to drive
so I'm not a nervous wreck...
ask my wife! :lol:
If anyone's coming from North of the 5/55
down to the shindig
and would like to pick up an eccentric passenger
please PM...
mahalos!
:)

Pissed away a Saturday after work de-bugging this computer, just now able to access email, but cant walk away from it till all is well, gotta bail on tommorrow. Just another in a long line of excuses! I know, I know, excuses only pacify the people using them, they're also like as*holes, everyones got one! I'll make it down one of these days, but you folks have fun in the sun tommorrow, remember to put on some sunblock!!

Pages: 1 2 69 replies