Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Swizzles in the New Millennium! Swizzle me this Part II!

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

I agree with Mr. NoNaMe and I also sort by Nautical (Mostly Lobsters and Pirates) and Non-Crappy Las Vegas.

Here is the 2013 Tonga Hut swizzle.

Boris,

I picked up some swizzles from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The first set has a cool Tiki logo.

The second set with the hula girl.

This was the message I got from the seller:

These were a small batch custom order that Hilton had made about a year or so ago. Once they went through their stock, they did not reorder. They were made in the long tiki swizzle, the hula girl, and there was also a blue one with a ukulele.

I also picked up some Havana Club muddler swizzles in Paris.

have extras of all of these to trade. Shoot me a PM if interested.

DC

I have a "Hawaiian" section of swizzles sorted.

Just got a couple of the new Beachbum Berry Latitude 29 swizzles (more like paddles!).

DC

Dusty
Awesome
How did I miss the HIlton swiZ post....

Way kool

Here are mine
Sorry for the glare

T

I used grass cloth wall paper glued on foam core, then used dental floss to sew each swizzle up and tie it in the back. I'm starting another soon now that I have more great Tiki swizzles!

FM

Tikidon, I dig your light fixture. Perfect for the art the swizzle sticks are.

Hang10 and TikiDon,

Those swizzle presentations look awesome. I was talking to Boris yesterday and saying that I needed to do something like that with part of my collection.

There have been some really great new Tiki swizzles coming out lately, I have been able to pick up a few on my recent travels.

Ventiki in Ventura - they just got these in! Awesome art by Tiki Tony.

Hale Pele "Hockey Stick" swizzle from Portland

High Dive in San Diego

And the uber cool Kon Tiki that Doug Horne hooked me up with.

Now, I just need to get a better camera.

DC

H

Here are some of my new swizzles.

some regular ones with no names just for fun.

S

The new Ventiki swizzle's are great, hopefully i'll have some of them soon.

And i have to say you can thank me for the Kon Tiki ones as i may have played a part in having those made :lol:. Last year when i was in the U.S. i kept hassling the manager at the Kon Tiki to have some sort of ephemera made, be it coasters, matchbooks, or preferably swizzle sticks and this year when i was there i got on his back about it again. A few days after i mentioned it again, when i went back he came straight up to me and said, "Ok, you've convinced me, i've just ordered some swizzle sticks. Should be ready in 6-8 weeks". Of course it was closer to 9 weeks, right after i had left and flown home, but fortunately a friend sent me some. They are a great looking swizzle stick.

Now just a question to those who have their swizzles displayed in frames, how are you mounting them (hang10tiki)? I was thinking maybe a drop of hot glue but how tikidon has done it seems like a good idea with running the risk of the glue damaging them in any way. Any other suggestions?

[ Edited by: swizzle 2017-09-27 22:29 ]

I like all the new stuff

As for mine I get a shadow box,
Then I use suture material to tie a knot through the backing material in the box.
It has nylon material pre attached to a curved needle.
The bent needle makes it easy to attach.

The spousal unit likes to sew,
She said they make bent sewing needles too.
Then just pick the color thread you want and start attaching them.

:)

Have fun and let's see some results

S

here are a few of mine at the office -

Latitude 29
Trader Sam's
Frankies Toothpick
a couple older Trader Vic's
Glass Pineapple
2 really cool old glass eyeball ones

S

Those Golden Tiki swizzles are nice hang10tiki.

I've been wanting to display my swizzles like this for a while now and after this thread was bumped back up to the top it inspired me to get off my arse. Here's the first one i did last night, i still have enough (tiki) swizzles for at least one, most likely two, more. And i'll frame them with some bamboo framing material i have.
I used some foam core board, spray adhesive to hold the placemats (found in a thriftstore) down and sewed the swizzles on with fishing wire.

Lookin good SwiZ

S

Thanks hang10tiki.

Here's the second one finished and framed (I also framed the first one like this). I have enough swizzles left for one more but i want to try and find the same placemats i used on the first two before i do the last one.

F

On 2015-12-07 16:32, swizzle wrote:
Thanks hang10tiki.

Here's the second one finished and framed (I also framed the first one like this). I have enough swizzles left for one more but i want to try and find the same placemats i used on the first two before i do the last one.

Swizzle, great job with these display cases! Great collections you've amassed, too. I have to ask: where are the three picks with kiwi birds from?

F

On 2015-12-08 16:13, finky099 wrote:

On 2015-12-07 16:32, swizzle wrote:
Thanks hang10tiki.

Swizzle, great job with these display cases! Great collections you've amassed, too. I have to ask: where are the three picks with kiwi birds from?

Just ogling them some more and I think I just answered my own question. New Zealand Air?

[ Edited by: finky099 2015-12-08 16:30 ]

Awesome

S

Thanks finky099 and Jon.

Yep, you're right finky. Air New Zealand. When i was in the U.S. earlier this year a friend scored a bag of swizzle sticks and told me to go through them and take what i wanted (after she had taken all the tiki ones obviously :lol:) and i found those along with a couple of cool ones with lobsters on them. The orange one in the middle, whose beak is broken of the most, the logo is back to front compared to the other two. Or is it the other way around? That one is correct and the other two were poured wrong?

And here's a better pic of my first one i did now that it has been framed.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2015-12-08 21:18 ]

[ Edited by: swizzle 2016-02-29 17:25 ]

I was on an Air New Zealand swizzle stick buying spree for a while. They made some cute swizzles.

F

Thanks, Swizzle. I couldn't even tell the orange one was only partially-beaked until you mentioned it. Still looks fantastic. I was in NZ for about 10 days earlier this year and hoped to find some cool swizzles, but no such luck.

Cheers!
:drink:

Had to get a bigger frame box to accommodate all the new sticks

F

Another nice one, Swizzle. You make great shadow boxes!

Some New Zealand swizzle sticks from the last millennium.

Air New Zealand swizzle sticks.

Close up

Kiwi birds

Air New Zealand toothpick

NZ tourist swizzle sticks.

Awesome

Added the newest one
Any more and I'll need yet a bigger shadow box

looks great, jon!

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 7:44 PM

Here's one I snagged from the Laka Lono Rum Club in Omaha last December:

S

H

That's a beauty, great design.

T

Hey those are awesome Swiz!
Need to see your new tiki mugs now.

Who's ZIMS
Wait
I looked at it upside down

Good one SWIZ
Cheers
Let's see those cocktails

Are those custom swizzles? If so, where did you order from?

S

Thanks hiltiki. I'm pretty proud of that design.

Cheers Skip. New mugs in the kiln at the moment, although i just had a peek inside and can see a few need to be touched up and re-fired. As usual.

Yes they are Jeff. They were made by these guys.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/californialustre

Not super cheap but there is no minimum order. You could order just one if you really wanted to. Hard to compare with Royer though because going through them the individual sticks would only cost cents, the initial set-up fee and minimum order cost is very high.
Here's a few more that were samples we tested. Including those in the first post that's 5 different versions and each version is priced differently.

Swizzles sticks from the defunct Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. They are not mine.

F

Aloha, here few random vintage swizzle sticks that I found here in Europe. (left to right) Tea House of the Maui moon, Maui Lu resort Kihei Maui Hawaii, BPOE Honolulu on the beach at waikiki, Kahala Hilton Honolulu (mi favorite from this lot), TWA Hong Kong, Harvey's resort hotel Lake Tahoe Nevada and Sheraton hotels in Hawaii.

Pages: 1 2 85 replies