Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Trailer Trash Chop II - It don't cost nuthin - Nov. 15

Pages: 1 2 83 replies

Went huntin around the trailer park for some grub for Saturday...
Come Hungry. Leave Happy!

I'm planning to be there. Kin we have name tags? I'm bad enough with names but everyone here has 2 names!

That's a tattoo by the way :lol:

EDIT - Here's a nice icebreaker game we played at the hoedown las' year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxCUT7js9Y
(it's 4 minutes of the same crap, the first 30 seconds is sufficient)

There are those few who learn from observation. The rest of us need to piss on the electric fence and find out for ourselves.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-11-13 06:16 ]

how long is this going till babs? I just found out i have a mandatory class i have to go to from 10 am till 12 on saturday. After that though ill hop on the trolley over to lemon grove

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-11-13 16:24 ]

B

Getting Close Now!!

Thomas, I guess around 9:00 am is a good time to start...It does get dark early these days (5:00 pm), but no worries; I will have everything lit up...If you want to carve, paint (I have some easels if needed), or play in clay a little late...whatever...darkness will not be a issue. There will be a few folks showing up around 3:00 that I know about already.

It's hard to believe that the Chops have been going on for 2 years now....The "BIG" 2 Year Anniversary Chop will be held at Mieko's Cosa next month.

If you have never been to a Chop, they really are quite remarkable...a gathering of people all coming together to share knowledge and learn from one another. We play hard and eat well. Everyone is welcome to join in on the fun.

I will never forget the first Chop at Mieko's house. Not knowing anything about carving really, I showed up with this log I had found on the side of the road, my Home Depot chisels, and a a wild looking rubber hammer. I wasn't 30 mins into whacking on this log when Ona Tiki walked up to me and handed me a really nice Flexcut V shaped chisel and said something like, "here brother, try this"...I tried to give it back to him after about 5 mins. use, and he said, "no man, play with it today"...I learned many things from Ona and everyone around me that day. I've been hooked ever since. Ona showed me the true spirit of the Chop...thanks Ona if your out there somewhere.

At the first Trailer Trash Chop over here, Sir B and I made a mold of this Chop tribute mug I made. I told everyone who had been attending the Chops that I would give them one for free. I have passed most all of them out now, but still there is a few folks that have not gotten theirs for reasons of my laziness....I just got 2 out of the kiln the other day. The black one with white eyes is for Aaron, the all black one is for Tmec (Andy)...sorry Andy, I didn't have enough red to do the inside like you wanted. The center green one is one I have been hanging on to...it's the number 1 mug....I want Ona to have this one. If anyone has Onas's address can you pm me?

I may have a few more yet to give out...Moki, and a few others? If your one of these people, please let me know. these are not the greatest mugs guys, sorry...They represent much more than their design I think. It says on the bottom of them "X out of 60", but really, I only made 30 some...

wish i could make it, but already looking forward to pictures of new works

Looks like I have to bail on the chop....a ton of crap to get done this weekend with the recent move, and still living in boxes. I'm bummed but I have to get this stuff done after having events for the last 4 or 5 weekends. Have a great chop and take a bunch of pictures!!!

I've been so crazy of late. I can't tell you how badly I've been wanting to "play with clay" and I feel badly that I've missed the last several chops. I just have so much going on coupled with the fact that I'm finally able to spend a little "quality" time on my tiki bar. I was hoping to host a chop myself in the valley in Oct., but that didn't materialize....soon I promise...soon!

Have fun ya'll....

im getting bummed, its looking more and more like i may be missing this chop

:(

B

Getting Excited!!

Claysdale, Cass, Cheaky, Thomas, Mad Doggie...I'm sorry to hear you guys can't make it. We will be thinking about you all.

Here's my count on who's coming over to play:

Bowana, Maria, Tobonga, Manual, Buzzy, Zaya, LLT, Big Toe, Mieko, Babalu, Richard, Leeha, Billy, Pops, Sam, Buzzard, and the Jab.

I haven't heard for sure on...

Cammo, Kate, 4WD, T-Bird, Hodaddy, Eric the Red, Mieko's Mom and Pop

You guys coming to this one?

I'm making up some new little clay canvases tonight for those interested in playing in clay that way...can you chine in if you want one of these? The ones I had in the picture below got a little to dry on me. It's no big deal to make new ones...Thanks all.

I got's plenty of Johnsonville Hot Dogs, Chips, Water and Sodas, Twinkies....If any of you want to add a little somethin, somethin to the fiddles...that would be cool. If you want beers, booze, etc., bring that too...I even have some Kava here, left over from??

YAY!! This is going to be fun!

hey babs....did my skully dry out with out crackin?

bill you can count on the cannibal family for a ride let me know where to pick you up. plus you get 1st crack at the tamales

B

Master C...you gots a little crack around the eye side you did ( :) ) during dry out.

It didn't get any bigger during the buisque firing. I think he will glaze fire out alright and the crack will cover. I just had the same problem with one of my mugs and it glaze fired out fine.

Wish you could make it man.

Kate just PMed me...she is going to have to miss her first Chop in 2 years...it makes me sad. :(

T

On 2008-11-14 18:16, Babalu wrote:

I'm making up some new little clay canvases tonight for those interested in playing in clay that way...can you chine in if you want one of these? The ones I had in the picture below got a little to dry on me. It's no big deal to make new ones...Thanks all.

I got's plenty of Johnsonville Hot Dogs, Chips, Water and Sodas, Twinkies....If any of you want to add a little somethin, somethin to the fiddles...that would be cool. If you want beers, booze, etc., bring that too...I even have some Kava here, left over from??

Wow! Clay canvases! It's all so new to me! I'd like to work with one, if I may! I'm very excited about tomorrow!

I decided to torture everybody, so made some pineapple cupcakes that I'm bringing tomorrow, too! See everybody 3 or 4ish!

M

No Kate!?! Bummer! It sounds like we're gonna have quite a different turnout this time - and yay for Eric and Manuel!!!

I've got Ona's address if you still need it Babs, maybe we'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can swing by. :)

My mom and I are coming down, it sounds like 4WD is moving this weekend, and can't make it. :(

R

Sooo....is it too late fer me to say I'm gonna go to this Chop tomorrow? Can I still go? huh? huh? can I?! :D

Cause... I'd still like to go to my first chop, as I've never ever been...!

so....if it's cool with you babz, WeeG and I will be there. :)

B

You bet you can Ravs!! We'll see ya tomorrow! :-)

Well, I just watched the sun come up over beautiful downtown Lemon Grove and it looks like a beautiful day to be crafty. Everyone coming down from LA, please drive safe and if you check this before you leave, I'll let you in on a little secret. HIGHWAY PATROL CRACKDOWN. Heard it from the source, so be careful.

Gotta get loaded!(er, the truck, I mean!)

On 2008-11-14 22:19, mieko wrote:
it sounds like 4WD is moving this weekend, and can't make it. :(

Yup, I won't be able to attend. :( The actual move is in 2 weeks, but I've got SO much crap to pack, etc.
Yall have fun!

Hey Guys,

I wish we could come! It's a gorgeous day, have a blast!

Jen

theres a chance i may still be showing up today, but well seeeee

Worked till 3am, woke up at 2pm, hmm, guess I missed another one! This sucks out loud! Hope you guys are taking pics!!

bummed i missed this one. agreed with t-bird, lets see some pics!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Nov 16, 2008 6:17 AM

That was lotsa fun - glad to finally meet Big Toe away from the madding crowds -

how late did it go????

B

Ahhh, that was so much fun! Thanks for the wonderful day all.

I was kinda running around a bunch and didn't get any pictures...only the few below. Billy and the Jab took some shots though - ha!...you guys have to post pictures now; that's a lot a work...thanks in advance boys

Lot's of folks decided to make mugs...some of the below are not finished yet, but they are all GREAT starts...

Big Toe, Sam, Richard, The Jab

Eric, Pops, Ravs, Leah

You were all inspiration....yes, you were!
Your all special people....yes, you are!
You all 'ROCKED' the Trailer Park....YES, YOU DID!!!

However, I think the day belonged to Pops...Pops started out carving on a big log, then he made a mug, then started painting on this cool relief panel that he did...I think he ate more hots dogs than anybody else too. GO POPS!!!

Sorry i missed out man, looks like some real work got done, hope to make it down for another one

JT

A Marvelous day was had!!!

Pops with "The Hat-Trick" 1,2,3.

More pics to come. - Johnny, "jab tiki"

L
Luigi posted on Sun, Nov 16, 2008 2:45 PM

B

thanks babs
the chop was great! anyone that has his own hotdog cart cant be all bad
thanks for the help on the mug,cant wait to see it fired

heres a pic of the tiki i was working on
with its ist coat of stain

also sent away for a hook knife today (yeah)

JT

Some more pix.

Buzzard

Cammo

Sam

jab tiki

Ravenne

Luigi

Big Toe

Babalu

Bowana

Little Lost Tiki

Eric

Thanks Babs for hosting.

R

rawkin!!!

This was our first chop, WeeG and I had an awesome time! :D

We definitely can't wait fer the next one!

Thanks again Babs for havin us over and being an awesome host!

C

Hey, newbies Jab and Eric were super cool and did some amazing work!

I just about freaked out at Eric's Tiki Hut Mug, I wanna BUY THAT THING! It was all I could do to try to stop my hands from grabbing that mug and start molding a little tiki in the front doorway, with people sitting around it on straw mats! It was like some kind of spooky Tiki hoodoo-obscuro black magic or something!

That mug has a bizarre fixation on me! I wanna LIVE IN IT!

Ditto on Eric's mug,Cam!
I would rather live in that than Toe's Scary-Mouthed Moai! :lol:
Thank you Babs and Amy and Simon for opening your home and hearts
to all us misfits!
So many cool people and creations flowed outta that place .....
made my head spin!
and to top it off,Rick busts out the hotDog cart!
mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
I had three over the course of the day!
another plus was that Clysdalle couldn't show up!!!
That made it extra fun!
And wait til you see the cool plates that
MadDogMike made for Squids/GROG/Bowana/Babalu/and yours truly!
I'll take a pic of them soon!
Thanks Mike! Can't wait to eat a liver on mine!
if you've never been to a CHOP before...
you must go at least once!

hi ho!
http://www.kenruzic.com
http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-11-17 11:28 ]

B

It was AWESOME seeing so many people coming up with so many different ideas and working in all the different medias!

Nice meeting Ravenne and Luigi. Hope you can make it to another sometime!

A few of Babalu's curious neighbors even stopped by and made stuff. Izzat cool or what?

Sorry I ruined the hotdog eating contest Buzzy. I filled up on too many tamales, musubis, and doughnuts beforehand. Doh! :)

Nice work, everybody! Great picture posts too.

Thanks for hosting the Trailer Trash Chop II, Babs. It didn't cost nuthin'!

Bowowowowowowowoananannananana!

Ok, I finally got some sleep, got the kid off to the parents for two weeks, and finally have time to post my pics from Saturday....

Fun chop, Babs! Thanks for having us and being such a great host. It was good seeing ALMOST everyone again. It's always a fun time when our friends fom LA can make the trip. So.....Santa-Claws Chop, anyone?

(there are a few more pics on the Myspace page)

Babs, I'm so sorry I didn't make your fun event, though I'm such a perpetual no-show I'm sure nobody noticed. Please post more pics!

In the end it came feeling too guilty to ask Antoinette to forfeit her weekly free Hula lesson to cover my tiki Jones, but I tried to think extra trashy all day in your honor and while I didn't actually eat a twinkie I poked one with my finger through it's package at our neighborhood market. Squishy.

My one-man telepathic satellite chop in solidarity w/comrade chopniks across San Diego county did allowed me to work on my low budget range of tabletop mods (Tangs and Hawaiians). Please, feel free to savage these little guys as I wasn't there to soak up your collective critiques in person.

Just knowing you guys were together working out there inspired me greatly even though I couldn't attend in my corporeal form... Warmest regards to all.

T

Hey Babalu!
Just want to say MAHALO for hosting an awesome event! Mahalo to Amy too!

It was great seeing Kinny, Big Toe, Mieko and Bowana again, and meeting Ravenne, Cammo, Billy the Crud and Buzzy... Sorry I didn't circulate more while I was there... missed out on really talking to Luigi, Buzzard, Sam, Jab Tiki, Pops and everyone else... I got so involved with my mug, I barely stopped to eat or use the restroom!

Glad you guys like my tiki mug... I had so much fun working on it... hope it turns out OK.

It was great being surrounded my so many talented people, making incredible work going off in all directions... carving, sculpting, drawing, painting... Wow!

Oh, Babs, sorry about spilling water all over your work table. Who would have thought a tiki mug would be filled with liquid?

Pages: 1 2 83 replies