Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Mag's Winter 08-09 Issue Release Party (Nov.21)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies

N

We're baaaaack. Just when you thought what have those Tiki Mag guys been up to, we're coming out with our new issue. We're celebrating it with a release party at Damon's in Glendale. Friday night, November 21st, be the first person on your block with the new Tiki Magazine. With a cover by the Headhunter, features on Ken Ruzic, Squid, John Cruz, and Marcus Thorn and many more, it will be a great issue. Come celebrate the Holidays with us a little early. The party starts at 7pm and ends just before 11pm. We'll also have a lot of vendors for you to do your Tiki holiday shopping early.
Vendors are:

Atomikitty
Bai
Big Toe
Brad "Tiki Shark" Parker
Crazy Al
Headhunter
Jonpaul Balak (of Tiki Mag and Tikiyaki fame)
Kent Butterworth (creator of the Tiki Trio comic in Tiki Mag)
Little Lost Tiki (Ken Ruzic)
Squid
Thor

Also, spinning tunes for your listening pleasure is Jeff the Big Tiki Dude.

Damon's has great food so make your dinner reservations soon and we hope you'll start your holidays with us at Tiki Mag.

Mahalo.

YAY!

T

Table for 4 for Tiki Ray ....reservations are in .

i find it impossible to believe that TikiRay has 3 friends....
:lol:
Hey Ray!
I'm bringing your mini spotlight!
$25 gets it back safely into your hands!
:)

T

I said I have reservations for 4 . I didnt say they were friends . People can be bought for a free meal . Congrats on making it in the mag . You deserve it Ken !

S
squid posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2008 3:27 PM

Lookie, lookie! Hassan has knocked out an awesome cover!

i CANNOT wait to
Wipe that Perma Grin
off that talented SOB's face!

BB

Who carved the tree on the cover Tiki Daddy?

i think Ray did!
sorry Ray!
you're the whippin boy today!

T

Great cover of the wahine . It looks like one of my pinup pics . You have to tell people that there is a tiki there . Congrats to Squid and Hassan as well .It looks like another sellout issue Nick .

Awesome cover Hassan!
She's like a Atomic Tiki Savage Vamparella! HOT!!!!
It was so nice to meet you and your lady at the Hukilau. :)

Hey, big thanks Nick and Squid for your fancy footwork getting us into Damon's.
I love Damon's! They have monkeys on the menus! :D
I really appreciate you guys blowing off that 'other venue' so you could move this event so much closer to my house.
That was really sweet of you boys, thanks! :wink:
I will do my personal best to stock the place with LOTS of thirsty friends with loose wallets. :drink:

** ATOMIKITTY fun fact ** I have my first ad in this upcoming issue of Tiki Magazine!
I am announcing the launch of my storefront on the fantastic site ETSY!

• Support local artists and crafters this gift giving season!
    Pick up a special discount code and Be the FIRST to see the NEWEST Atomikitty items @ Damon's on the 21st!

:tiki: Original Tiki Art makes a FANTASTIC GIFT! :tiki:
I am now accepting holiday commissions, so let's talk tiki!

Looking forward to a VERY fun tiki event to kick off the Holiday Season!

Rad Painting Suzy!
the thatching looks soft enough to sleep on
especially in that beautiful moonlight!

Chongo is on the ETSY boat too!
all the cool kids are on it!

Speaking of :)....
you and Hassan both
with those perma-smiles....
it's gonna be a long night!

WooHooo!! Just reserved our table :)

CJ

just made ours as well.

T
THOR's posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2008 8:24 PM

HASSAN!! YOU are Da MoN!!! I am a big FoN...will ya be at Damon's???? AWESOME cover!!!

Suzy..I also wanted to say you made the best decision in the world to focus on your art..you are doing wonderful pieces!!!! Can't wait to see it all at Damon's

Damn Damn Damn,
I can't make it I'm gonna be DJing at a tiki art event in Glend....
oh never mind I Guess this is it.
:wink:
Thanks to Nick for asking me to do this event.
I will be spinning a mix of Vinyl and cds,
Exotica,Hawaiian,and mellow surf,
and some tropical and loungy x-mas tunes also,
to help get you in the x-mas gift buying mood.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-11-04 22:04 ]

Headhunter! That cover is almost enough to turn me.... okay, not really. But it is seriously smoking. Hope we see you at the party! (I think we're putting up a banana hammock just for you!) Gee, I hope that nice girl who wrote your story will be there. (Ahem.) Looking forward to seeing everyone! And a SPECIAL THANK YOU and congratulations to Nick for continuing to create such a great magazine -- it's a true labor of love that means so much to all of us. Everybody! Let's celebrate!!! Yippee kai- yai-yo and aloha! By the way, we now have our first Hawaiian President! Barack Obama was born in Oahu and lived there for the first seven years of his life. Plus his grandmother lived there until her recent passing. (I'm hoping for some aloha spirit in the White House!)

T

On 2008-11-06 01:11, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Headhunter! That cover is almost enough to turn me.... okay, not really. But it is seriously smoking. Hope we see you at the party! (I think we're putting up a banana hammock just for you!) Gee, I hope that nice girl who wrote your story will be there. (Ahem.) Looking forward to seeing everyone! And a SPECIAL THANK YOU and congratulations to Nick for continuing to create such a great magazine -- it's a true labor of love that means so much to all of us. Everybody! Let's celebrate!!! Yippee kai- yai-yo and aloha! By the way, we now have our first Hawaiian President! Barack Obama was born in Oahu and lived there for the first seven years of his life. Plus his grandmother lived there until her recent passing. (I'm hoping for some aloha spirit in the White House!)

Actually Obama was born in Hawaii, lived in Indonesia during as a young child for 6 years ( until he was 8 or so ?) and went back to Hawaii where he graduated High School. But yes, Aloha president....Cool !

A good friend of mine went to high school with Obama in Honolulu, here's an actual clip from her yearbook!

Tikiyaki (my fine Burbank neighbor), I guess my source about Obama's childhood was not exactly correct. Thank you for the better information than I had. But, yes, let's hope that "aloha spirit" is part of the next four years. So... the big question is, which one of you fine Tiki people is going to create the first Obama Tiki Mug? Okay, enough politics. I end on a high note. See you all at Damon's!

On 2008-11-06 18:54, surfintiki wrote:
A good friend of mine went to high school with Obama in Honolulu, here's an actual clip from her yearbook!

surfintiki - This is just the eBay seller in me talking, but you should see if your friend can scare up another copy of that yearbook from an old friend or two. It would sell for top dollar right now on eBay.

Here's a Sarah Palin yearbook that just sold for $1300 and I'm sure the Obama would go much higher:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190248867475&category=50790

Oh. And I'm planning on going to the Tiki Mag release party. See you all there.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-11-06 21:02 ]

Sounds like a fabulous party! I will try to get up there with a few peeps.

yeah lets drop the Political talk and get back to the event,
we don't want anybody hi jacking the thread.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

SF

Wow, great cover Hassan. Love it!

Wish I could make the event.

On 2008-11-07 11:57, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
Sounds like a fabulous party! I will try to get up there with a few peeps.

Tiki Peeps?

(hi-jack in progress)

[ Edited by: Daves Not Home 2008-11-07 14:56 ]

T
THOR's posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 8:03 AM

TR! One other thing I need to correct on your thread contribution!! Where ya say:

" Headhunter! That cover is almost enough to turn me.... okay, not really. But it is seriously smoking. Hope we see you at the party! (I think we're putting up a banana hammock just for you!)"

The deal is that Hassan is WEARING a banana hammock to Damon's that night..not than anyone is BRINGING one!!

Arrr Arrrr

Aloha Thor! I guess we're thinking of two different types of hammocks! Good thing I'll be bringing my camera to Damon's, just in case someone decides to make a bold fashion statement! I was actually trying to be the lovely and dainty flower I am, and was talking about a real hammock. You know, string-style, "hang-from-a-palm tree, backyard" kind often used in male pinup calendar shots. Hmmm. You know, know matter how I say it, it sounds wonderfully smutty. I didn't realize you cute boys call the other ones "banana hammocks" too. But I can see why you would. Clearly. So now I'm wondering what Headhunter meant by "banana hammock" in his quote that I put in his story! Oops. (Nice work, Kari!)

T
THOR's posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 3:25 PM

HAAAAaaaa Kari!!! You are just too damn cute!! I couldn't resist the chance I would get ya red faced and flustered..just the way we bad Kane's like em! So innocent you be!! Pay no attention to the smutty boys. Stay the sweet lil' Wahine that you are!! Again...most normal people knew exactly what you meant....it's us mind bent artistic types ya have to ignore! LOL!!

Ignore Thor? I don't think that's possible. (Place winky face here.)
Besides, a smart girl knows that the artistic smutty boys are the most fun to hang with anyway. No fool, I.
But HEY! Not to change the subject or anything, but if the rest of you reading this fascinating and flirtatious post haven't made your dinner reservations at Damons yet, do it! Damon's makes a really good, old-school steak, their house salad is excellent and DO NOT pass up the orange cake. Plus, TIKI SHOPPING!!! You splendid time is guaranteed for all.

That was SUPPOSED to read, "A splendid time is guaranteed for all." See what happens when I'm flustered and red-faced? Verbal skills go right out the window.

Crap!

Once again I gotta miss sumpin' kool.

Will be werkin.

( for all you tiki freaks that visit Vegas, baby!)

Have fun without me.

I'm sure you will!

bb

Bamboo Ben, we understand and you will be forgiven for your absence. (Although you will certainly be missed.) As we see it, you are doing the Lord's work up there. Looking forward to praying soon in your latest Church of Rum in Sin City. -- Kari

Can we get some more pics of the art that will be there?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

What is everyone bringin?
Good question Jeff!
I'll be bringin some of this stuff!

Medium sized Paintings!

Little paintings!

paintings on WOOD!

the latest Woodburning Creations!

Clearview Folders CRAMMED with drawings!
Regular drawings and the latest abstracts!
All for YOU, my friends!

and much much MORE!
it'll be a veritable ONE STOP SHOPPING EXPERIENCE!

Also Squid and I will be signing your Tiki magazines
for only $5 WITH PURCHASE!
($10 w/o purchase...)

Free Hugs tho!

Hope to see y'all THERE!

hohoho...
http://www.kenruzic.com
http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-11-11 10:32 ]

I swear to God Ken . You come up with some of the most original shit with an amazingly unique style . One of these days Nick should think about doing a story on you in his mag . My " Uncle four eyes" painting will be worth millions when you die .

Awesome new work LLT!
You blow me away!

I've got my eye on one in particular, so somebody PLEASE buy some stuff from me @ Damon's so I can support my art habit! :wink:

I am busy moving right now, and building my Etsy site, and I would love for you to check it out and tell me what you think!

http://atomikitty.etsy.com

Everything in the Etsy store will be available @ Damon's (so buy it there if you can join us and save on shipping)
~ as well as some BRAND SPANKIN' NEW STUFF that will be making thier DEBUT on the 21st!

Tiki Holiday cards and gift tags anyone?

Awesome gem-like resin art pendants and magnets anyone?

Ohhhhhh the goodies I have for you . . . . . !

:drink: Hope you can join us! :drink:

~ ATOMIKITTY

P.S. I will post pics soon.

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2008-11-11 14:13 ]

Little Lost Tiki - Very nice stuff! I really like 'Night Voyage'

Atomikitty - always a fan of your work since I've seen what Jeff & Tiki-a-Fair have of yours. Really really cool framing too!

Wish I was in town that night to go and spend money...

wow LLT, amazing.
and Suzy. always dig your stuff too,
thanks for posting.

anybody else?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 11, 2008 11:41 PM

Can we get some times and the address for Damon's?
pleeeeeez?
How do you get there from the 5 North?
or the 405?
phone number?
Thenx!

5 north to 134 east for 3 exits . Get off at Brand and make a right . 317 N. Brand ave. (818) 507-1510.Your lucky to get parking out front . Park in the back and and go in through the rear entrance kinda like the Tonga Hut.

Thanks Ray!
I'm a spazz driving to unknown places! See you there!

Free hugs from artistic smutty boys? Yes, please! (Haha ~ sorry, I kinda got stuck on that thought ~ whew!) Dave, I love the tiki peeps! :)(I am stealing that picture, BTW) Little Lost Tiki and AtomiKitty, wow, great pieces! LOVE! I was getting all stoked about going then I realized how far, far away Glendale is from Irvine. Yuck. Friday night traffic through the big city. Well, I'm lucky I live within driving distance of great TIKI events, so guess I have to not be a whiner. Depending on kid schedule, I will try my darndest. Picking out party skirt and hope to meet you peeps there. Watch your little marshmallow ears!

Hope you can make it Kiki!
Just remember all us artists who have to haul our butts down there at 3-4:00 to avoid traffic PLUS after setting up we have to smile and act nice the whole night! Phew!
is that gonna be exhausting!
let our dedication and hard work inspire you to c'mon down!
here's another new one for the event....Fresh outta the Woodburner!

T

Ken youre a spaz in places your known as well but youre OUR spaz . I just did some birthday shopping for my son at Active board shop . I cant believe the crappy clipart shirts these kids were buying . Ken , I think you need to have a meeting at their corporate offices with your sketches for a summer line . I really think they would do well .Especially that colored "Hungry Cannibal" .You could start your own line like LRG , Hurley and such. You could call it "LLT SPAZ" !

On 2008-11-13 14:35, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Ken youre a spaz in places your known as well but youre OUR spaz . I just did some birthday shopping for my son at Active board shop . I cant believe the crappy clipart shirts these kids were buying . Ken , I think you need to have a meeting at their corporate offices with your sketches for a summer line . I really think they would do well .Especially that colored "Hungry Cannibal" .You could start your own line like LRG , Hurley and such. You could call it "LLT SPAZ" !

Ummm...who do you think designs those shirts?!?!?? Ken "Klipart" Ruzic...

UM....RAY...
THE CANNIBAL KING.....
THAT WAS DAVE'S NOT HOME'S DRAWING!NOT MINE!
I JUST SIGNED IT FOR HIM! :)

T

No I ment the "Hungry Cannibal" drawing you just posted . I bought a "cannibal King' shirt just cause I felt sorry for Dave just like everyone else . Hes so short that when he showed me his drivers license picture , I could actually see his feet .

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies