Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Mag's Winter 08-09 Issue Release Party (Nov.21)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies

N

The car is packed and I'm hitting the road. See you at Damon's tonight for a little holiday cheer!

T

Looking forward to tonight...I need to get outta the studio BIG time! I have been under a lot of pressure to create art for the Gallery ,so I will not have a lot of new things that I try to make on the side. I will be bringing the usual mini prints and mugs...etc. I also have a couple shrunken heads left...have had no time to make more since Oasis. Other than that..I am there to just take in the smell of Damon's food and drink and hang with Ohana!!

See ya there....

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 21, 2008 9:02 AM

Bring some velevets Thor, so we can se those suckers in person, especially the Moai one.

YOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!
Just gotta pack up the truck with art and puppies and GO!
See y'all there!

unless i crash....
If i do,any item strewn on the freeway is half off!

On 2008-11-21 09:20, little lost tiki wrote:
YOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!
Just gotta pack up the truck with art and puppies and GO!
See y'all there!

unless i crash....
If i do,any item strewn on the freeway is half off!

We wouldn't be able to tell the difference between your art the rest of the trash on the freeway

"We wouldn't be able to tell the difference between your art the rest of the trash on the freeway"

Can you feel the love today?-I'm adding this to my list of quotes!!!

TGIF~!!!! WoooooHoooOOOOoooooooooo!

See ya at 7!

CA

On 2008-11-21 09:00, THOR's wrote:
Looking forward to tonight...I need to get outta the studio BIG time! I have been under a lot of pressure to create art for the Gallery ,so I will not have a lot of new things that I try to make on the side. I will be bringing the usual mini prints and mugs...etc. I also have a couple shrunken heads left...have had no time to make more since Oasis. Other than that..I am there to just take in the smell of Damon's food and drink and hang with Ohana!!

See ya there....  

ditto: except the shrunken head part and all the gallery pressure etc....

where is this place again??

M
Murph posted on Fri, Nov 21, 2008 2:11 PM

Got our reservations for 7.
Hope to see some familiar faces from the LA Home Bar Tour and meet some new folks.

Leaving soon,.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CA

this is against my religion... to "Stock then deep!! sell them Cheap!... but here go nothin' as they say.....

Economy Stimulus Packages and Deals tonight only!! mugs and raffle!!!

get my new #12 decanter at reduced price (those who have bought already, don't bum-out... these few offered are lacking the full color range of the ones previously sold) Fire it UP!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5RNMiHUnbY&eurl=http://tikimania.com/docs/ALmug11_12.html

[ Edited by: crazy al 2008-11-21 16:02 ]

K

awesome food ...great artists... fun times...

CJ

we had a great time. good to see the people I've already met and it was good meeting new people.

It's nice to see places do good business

damn good twice baked potato

My personal Hina Kuluna and Marty Lush

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2008-11-22 10:00 ]

it was a great time, a nice opportunity to chat up some of the artists involved and see some of this great work in person. it seems a great venue for a show, and was cool talking with people in the bar,enticing them to enter the art area and find great stuff to add in their enjoyment of the cocktails. forgot to pick up the new magazine (six mai tai's tend to make me a little forgetful), hopefully it should arrive in the mail soon.

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-11-23 01:07 ]

T

Just wanted to say it was GREAT to see everyone!! I was lloking at all the great art in that room and thinking how AWESOME it would be if Damons made that room ore of a Tiki focus feel. It's separated enough that there could be a slight shift in feel that was less general polynesian and more "TIKI MOVEMENT" (that's also what you have the next morning after too much Damon;s food!)... lower lights, spot lit art and lots of wooden tikis .

Maybe they use it for weddings or events though and that would be too "themed" ..I dunno. Anyway...back to painting..I had my socializing ration for a few weeks!! Again, it was a privilege to be with the wonderful art of my fell artist Ohana......Aloha!!

I had a great time last night!! The art was freakin radical!! I am amazed by Squids "shrunkin head bowl" that thing is huge!! Big Toes stuff blows me away...period. Monsters and Tiki's what a beauty way to go!! And I put a down payment on one of Little Lost Tiki's paintings and he let me take it home anyway. Good Dudes all of em!! And it was cool meeting new peeps!! And hanging with my old pals too!! It was also cool chatting with C'Al and Thor before the show. Oh yeah!! BTD was tearing it up on the wheels of steel too!! I wish we could of rocked it a little louder though!! I am looking forward to more good times in the future.

Oh yeah one more thing...Jonpaul did a awesome job photographing The Whale Rider and my house!!!

Thanks Nick!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2008-11-22 08:46 ]

CJ

what was the deal with the plastic Halloween Bacardi cups???

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2008-11-22 09:16 ]

Great pictures! So sad I couldn't make it. Can you please release more magazines... perhaps one tonight or tomorrow?! :wink:

I hope you were able to drop off some magazines at TIki Ti. I will be there later tonight and hope to pick one up there.

O

What a night! I didn't know Celine Dion was into Tiki? Cool seeing all the great artists work in one place. What a great place too.

LT

On 2008-11-22 15:54, Ojaitimo wrote:

Luk-eeeee!

On 2008-11-22 15:54, Ojaitimo wrote:

Wow - Uncle Shrunkle iss HUUUUGE! Those new bowls are great!

I wasn’t planning on going to this (I’m a little evented out) but I knew that Jonpaul Balak was going to be selling prints of some of the pictures he took for Sippin’ Safari and I had to have a Blue Hawaii print.

I’m glad I went, the show was a lot of fun ~ great art, great space and 90 minutes free parking in the parking structure across from Sears. :)

So thank you Tiki Magazine, Damon’s and Jonpaul Balak!

OceaOtica entertains Atomikitty with his Fonzie impression.

GROG entertains no one with his Mr. Whipple impression.

I need a haircut.

Wow! I'm so glad I finished up my gig just in time to make it to this fine bash. It was so good to see so many lovely people and such great art! Thanks to everyone who came out to Damon's to help Tiki Magazine celebrate another great issue! I'll probably think of more to say later, but I just got home from work and my brain is too fried to type. But, mainly I just wanted to say how great it was to spend even a little time with all of you. Ken, Thor, Dani and Go Go, Nick, Whoohoo and SoccerTiki, Grog, Jonpaul, Marie, Squid, Crazy Al... you are all just WONDERFUL. I love you guys! (And... cue Kari bursting into tears of happiness and sappy sentimentality... jeez, I need a bubble bath and some sleep.)

damn, dman, damn!

always missing all the fun.

i gotta get a real job so i can make it to

these cool events!

looked like a blast!

can't wait to see the new issue!

rock on!

Now that I've gotten some sleep, I've thought of something else to say... Thor, I loved your idea for Damon's back room. Maybe we could all suggest something like this to them? I think the owners are the kind of people who might take this seriously! It certainly would make that "party room" more special! I'll swing by sometime in the next week or so and talk to them. Everybody else, if you go to Damon's again, tell them this idea, too! Hopefully, they liked the business and fun our gathering brought into their establishment. And, as for "Tiki movement"... tee hee hee. Funny boy.

Bamboo Ben, yes you were missed. But, as I said in an earlier post, you are doing a good thing by making Las Vegas even MORE fun for the rest of us. I'll be seeing you up there on December 4th, right? You WILL be there, won't you? Back to Thor's fine idea, though: IF the owners of Damon's are keen to "Tiki-up" that back room, maybe we could all help them do it, so it's done right. (Maybe not as "right" as Bamboo Ben could do it, but still better than it is now.) If you brilliant artists would each consider donating one of your pieces to that room's rehab (like a repro print or something not expensive -- but still something that showed off your talents) I bet you could put a little gallery-type plaque by your piece (with your contact info), which would generate a little exposure for you. As I said, I'll talk to the owners and see how they feel about sprucing up that back room. They might be very open to it, if it doesn't cost them much.

T

Kari!!

I am TOTALLY on board with this... I would happily donate work....both original and/ or really cool giclee's. Also..I think that it may have been a wee tight as a vending space..but could be awesome as a simple "art show" space. If we had just paintings and flat art in their on the wall or a few easels, lower the lights and plan on bringing in some nice spots to clip under the thatch areas above the booths..it could support a fair space for 3-4 artists, say. We could do themes..too.. Maybe we have a velvet revival show..or whatever. But even if that was not to happen, if we could speak to Damon's about the idea that this room's feel being a Tiki concentration and some of the efforts could be donated outta the spirit of preserving the Tiki culture...we may be on to building more places we al can enjoy and be a part of.

Second thought... I was half in and half out of the conversation where there was a guy there that night who was one of the owners or something the new Trader Vic's in Beverly Hills?? Did I hear that right..and if so..what was his interest in supporting Tiki? Could he also be a resource in supporting art shows or exposure to the current culture?? I know nothing of the remainder of TV's since the change..so pardon me if I am over estimating the status of the space...just brainstorming.

~T

GT

I would donate some fun stuff!

Thor, I did not hear that conversation. Did anyone else? Because of the lack of response I've gotten from my concepts I brought to a meeting at the Trader Vic's in Las Vegas earlier this year, I find it hard to believe that it was someone from Trader Vic's who was there last night. Maybe it was someone from the new Luau restaurant in Beverly Hills? Does anyone else know who this person was at Damon's? Nothing like an Imagineer to get MY BRAIN working overtime... Thor! But, you are so right. It seems like every coffee house around has revolving gallery type work going on, so why not our Tiki restaurants? Yes, yes, yes, I will talk to Damon's and let you all know what they say. This could be the start of something... well, if nothing else... fun. And without a lot of effort, that could benefit all you artists that I adore. Clever clever people that you are. Now go wet your paintbrushes in some rum... Thor. xx Kari

Go Go! Didn't mean to leave you out! Your ceramics are so awesome! I think you should donate one of your wall hangings... hmmm... maybe your Tiki clock!!! Have you guys SEEN Go Go's Tiki clock?! It's fabulous. Okay, everyone, I'll let you all know what's up when I know. I'll bombard Damon's with my presence after Thanksgiving. I'm editing magic photos (translate = paying job) like a zombie until then. Anyone want to come with me to help persuade and bring a piece of art or two as bait? (Not to give them yet, just to show them.)

Yes, the Mastermind of the New Trader Vics was at Damons. He is very into Tiki and supports TC 100%. Keep your eyes open for him at the next TC event :)

Woohoo, did you get the name of this Trader Vic's man? It wasn't a German guy named Sven Koch, was it? I want to talk to whoever this man is. He needs to catch up, big time, with the rest of us.

On 2008-11-23 16:18, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Woohoo, did you get the name of this Trader Vic's man? It wasn't a German guy named Sven Koch, was it? I want to talk to whoever this man is. He needs to catch up, big time, with the rest of us.

Tangaroa-Ru - My lips are sealed. But trust me, like I said, he supports TC 100% and does attend as many TC functions that he can :) Trader Vic's in L.A. is going to be one of a kind. WooHoo!!

B

i would be very pleased to donate a photo of my furry butt...with plaque

thanks all for a great time.

check out my docudrama:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=32701680&albumId=2439866

please let me know if the link works...as u all know, i am a computer bone-head

Not to be a sour grape but I think Damon's is fine the way it is. It's been fine for 70 years. As for changes to the back room I'd think it'd be up to the artists and vendors to bring stuff to Tiki it up while they're selling it. I sure wouldn't want to hear any "You know what you should do..." stuff after only one event. The restaurant was packed Friday night and I'd doubt if 80% of the people there even knew there was an event going on in the back room.

If you want to help a place out please see GROG's Tonga Hut thread.

The Trader Vic's LA guy posts here on Tiki Central and I'd say he's been at all of the major events over the past 2 months. He's a nice guy and he always seems to be having a good time. I've heard some really great things and I'm looking forward to the new Vic's.

• Sour Grapes Jones. :roll:

We had a great time. The food was very good. Restaurant was packed with non-TC people. The art was outstanding. Thor's black velvet art was killer as you can kinda see in Ojaitimo's pix. The guy in several pics, John Valencia, (I'm making hand signs for him in one photo.....not sure what I was describing) is from the soon to open Trader Vic's. We talked for a long time. He is really interested in getting the decor, and cocktails right. Not going to use pre-made mixes..... everything fresh. Also has a live music permit with an authentic Island floor show lined up. All this could change, but I hope he can follow his ideas the way he described them. If the food and drinks are good, the decor will be a great bonus. I think he is shooting for an opening in March, but that will be at the mercy of contractors and city inspectors.

Awesome velvet by Thor

Trader John of Trader Vic's LA and Woo Hoo Wahine

Soccer Tiki and Tiki Ray playing with their boobs

WOW!
Now that was a fun night!
A Big Thank You to Nick and the staff at Damons
especially Megan ,and that lady in the front who reminded me of Wanda Jackson-made setting up and gettin it going soooo easy!
The food was great and the Ohana was well-represented!
Thor's velvets are awesome to behold in person.....
Another big thank you to all y'all who adopted some work
it was such a blur!
especially Mark and Cindy (did i spell that right?),who decided to give the "Battle" piecea lovely new home!mahalos!
Also stoked that I'm going to be represented in Spermy's Blowhole
with "the Fall of Icarus(with Tikis)!mahalos bro!
Two Tiki abstract pieces that are now home in two swanky pads!
Life is Good!
Thanks Ernie for doggedly pursuing "the Guardian" piece!
i could go on and on...
it was simply a Grand time and i left there tired and all hugged out!

i left a few of those free puppies there accidently...
could someone give them a good home?
:)

oh ya! and Andy ROCKS!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-11-24 08:25 ]

M

Great event!

Did anyone else try the "Killer Chocolate Cake"?
I spent about 40 minutes with that thing!

Man oh MAN, that was a blast- certainly worth 2 plane changes in Salt Lake.

Mahalos for the warm welcome and feedback from (deep breath)Ernie,GoGo,Kirby,Atomikitty,C'Al,JimB,MartyLush,SoccerTiki&WooHoo!,Jeff(great tunes),JonPaul&Marie,Ravenne,Kari,Mark&Cindy,and of course, TraderTom,Ilene&TraderJoe.Cass-if only I'd known what you looked like!

Wish Marcus Thorn could've been there-glad BigToe made up for the loss with an almost-passable accent during dinner.

SQUID-...and it all started with the short bus. Thanks for the super-cool goods and the happy chats. Hope Mitch appreciated our simple toast. Au revoir, amigo~ enjoy the City of Lights at Christmas,man.
KEN- Dave was right-we're a match made in an asylum, and I believe it's you that rocks, by the way. Know any good/inappropriate Spike Jones stories? Made my night.
BIG TOE-Thanks for the props on the Marcus article (his kiln will never be the same.) and congrats!~the art I got from you didn't scare my kid!!!
THOR-as everyone said, your velvet was a thing to behold in person. Hope to catch up with you in Oahu next year.
and NICK-thanks so much for the event, for your support, and for introducing me to Marcus.

Until the next California saga...
CHEERS, you beautiful babies-

Andy

Thanks to Nick for having me DJ, I had a lot of fun.

thanks to those who gave shout outs for the tunes.

hope I mixed it up ok.

didnt want to be too sleepy or surfy.

Nick I did get in yer Mele Kalekemaka by Bing,
but you were gone somewhere.

Great event, and I was blown away by how many people were stuffed in there.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Aloha!

I appreciate your feed back Bora Boris....and believe me, I am one to NEVER like old stuff to change in the least. But I have to disagree and hope we can find a balance on all this. I am fully aware of the Tonga Hut Grog will tell you I have participated many times in events there..and the owners have always supported it and the possibilities of more things too. But let me focus on Tangaroa-Ru's excitement and Damon's for a second. Damon's has , in fact changed twice at least in the 70 some years since it's birth.

Here is the history for those interested. I used to eat lunch and or dinner there at least once a week for longer than I want to admit when I worked Imagineering in Glendale. I saw the transition in the 80's and then a few years ago again when the new owner's took rein and cleaned up the place a bit. Though I miss the dusty, cob web clad stuffed monkeys that used to be in the Outrigger! Here's the history for anyone interested: http://www.damonsglendale.com/history.html

No one's being insensitive to an icon like Damon's by suggesting what we are here. Aside from the mural in the back wall..and the thatched overhangs..most all that shell and net stuff on the booth walls is not very old in the banquet room...and my focus is exclusively on this room only. There is nothing but advantage to allowing the excitement and energy of us present artists and craftsmen that want to preserve and rekindle the poly pop movement to be part of Damon's. This is what starts others (like the other majority in the place that night oblivious to the show) to get pulled into the magic of Tiki and what we all are entranced by already. I met several people that night who wandered in accidentally and were really excited to be introduced to all this. Taking an icon like Damon's as a "stage" to further the resurgence of Tiki is a natural and reverent way to keep all this going into the future. It's what keeps people refreshed and keeps places like this from being bought out and turned into a Denny's one day.

No one wants to mess with the key areas of Damon's here. However, as a very loyal Damon's patron for decades..I want to just do what I can to generate a little bit of new celebration to this place. I think this could become infectious...and that, with people like us being the ones bringing the new enthusiasm gingerly into these places, creates a movement that preserves them!...not messes with them. We excite and expose more of the public into this enchantment and that, again..is no greater a way to insure these places live on as long as all of us who care, do.

Kari..let us know what the owners are down for. I don't want to belabor this issue or create an endless debate thread on this..it is a positively driven concept that has nothing but positive intent to inject the inertia of what we all love further into the tissues and soul of the past, present and future of Tiki.

Speaking of "injections"..I'll take a Damon's Mai Tai straight in the arm and am seriously craving their beef Strogenof now..though I can't spell it.

~T

[ Edited by: thor's 2008-11-25 08:08 ]

Did anyone else see that drag queen/tranvestite that looked like Nina Simone meets Jimmy Walker?
She/he was there when Toe and i got there
and stayed til past 7 after dinner....
Tom sez she/he has his socks and wallet
and he wants 'em back!
:lol:

Bora Boris, I do understand where you're coming from. I respect you and I love old Tiki places, too. Thor's response: Well, I could not have said this better myself. Thor, you're as articulate and sensitive a writer as you are an artist. I have no desire to change anything else about Damon's, since I enjoy that place just as it is, too. But I really think a little more Tiki feeling in that fairly blank "party" room would be a fantastic addition -- and a genuine "thank you" from us to Damon's for what they do. They were incredibly open-minded about letting us throw our party there. Earlier this year, I took Nick Camara to Damon's (he had never been there). Ernie (Grog) joined us and we had a fantastic dinner. When the owners found out that we were from Tiki Magazine, they picked up the entire tab and sent over every dessert on the menu! So, I suggested Damon's to Nick, when he was considering trying out a new spot for the magazine party. I felt the added reservations that night would be a nice way to thank them back, PLUS it would make more Tikiphiles aware of what a great place Damon's is! From my first phone call to them, they were excited and on board with having a whacky group like ours hold our event there. Next week, I will merely ask them if they would like some contributions to help spruce up that one room, and I'll let all of you know what happens from that point. But, of equal importance, I am glad to read that so many people had a good time at the party. If you did, please continue to patronize Damon's. Oh, and I also hope you all enjoy the latest issue of Tiki Magazine! Aloha from Kari.

Jeez, Kenny! I thought I looked kind of pretty that night! But, okay, I'll give Tom back his wallet. Can I keep his socks, though? I'm a sentimental girl, you know...

you look nothing like NinaSimoneJimmyWalker!
I can't believe noone else saw this character!
YOIKS!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 25, 2008 9:01 AM

On 2008-11-25 08:47, little lost tiki wrote:
you look nothing like NinaSimoneJimmyWalker!
I can't believe noone else saw this character!
YOIKS!

She/he is a regular there.

I do go there fairly regularly... Oh wait, who are we talking about? Ha ha ha... okay, fun's over. Back on the bus.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies