Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Official Announcement - Hukilau 2009 June 11 - 14!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies

I'm so excited to be coming out from California for my first Hukilau! And I LOVE Los Straightjackets. Never been to the Mai Kai. I hear it will be a treat.

In the past I would tell people to close their eyes till inside of the Mai Kai. No longer the old girl has a youthful glow to be enjoyed.

Can I add that my wife's birthday is also on the 12th. Its gonna be fun!!!!

On 2009-05-26 09:52, AlohaStation wrote:
In the past I would tell people to close their eyes till inside of the Mai Kai. No longer the old girl has a youthful glow to be enjoyed.

The Port Cochere is looking fantastic. The Entrance has been repainted. All of the black plastic is out of the Molokai Bar. The landscaping inside and out is lush (more so with our recent rains). Most of the orchids are in bloom. New Tikis everywhere! The magic has returned to the Mai-Kai

Can I add that my wife's birthday is also on the 12th. Its gonna be fun!!!!

I lost count, but I think we have about 10 people celebrating birthdays across that weekend. Andy's birthday is also the 12th your lady and mine can celebrate together!

On 2009-05-27 05:01, Chip and Andy wrote:

I lost count, but I think we have about 10 people celebrating birthdays across that weekend.

This goes to show that you must use "precautions" when "celebrating" after Halloween parties! Did I mention my daughters birthday is June 21!!!

S

Here she is, folks... the Queen of Last Minute!

Okay, well, not really. At least not always. Um, I mean... Anyway, I have a room at the Cabana, and am wondering if there is anyone who would like to share it with me. I'm vending, and I am hosting during the room crawl, so there will certainly be cocktails, and lots of hair flowers. Some people around here think I'm pretty fun, but you can ask them, I suppose, if you really want to know! I'm coming in on Wed and checking out Monday. If anyone is looking to go splitsville on a room, PM me.

Thanks! See you in Ft. Lauderdale! Viva Hukilau!!!

Suzanne

New painting by Lisa Petrucci for Art Show!

POLYNESIAN PALS

M

would love to attend but hubby's schedule is too crazy that weekend. As a favor to those of us who can't make it PLEASE PLEASE post pictures- and have a great time!

Guess Honfest in Baltimore will have to make do.

On 2009-05-27 09:17, modbetty wrote:
would love to attend but hubby's schedule is too crazy that weekend. As a favor to those of us who can't make it PLEASE PLEASE post pictures- and have a great time!

Guess Honfest in Baltimore will have to make do.

Sorry we won't be seeing you down there! I wish Honfest and Hukilau weren't always the same weekend! I'd like to get my Hon on in Bawlmer. Have fun!

On 2009-05-27 09:10, HAROLDGOLENGALLERY wrote:
New painting by Lisa Petrucci for Art Show!

POLYNESIAN PALS

Could someone tell my husband Fang aka David Lenoue that I would REALLY love this painting for my birthday!!!!!

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2009-05-27 12:19 ]

M
Mambo posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 6:17 PM

doing a pre-hukilau warm up friday june 5.
any fla ohana gonna be there....

W

edited

[ Edited by: wentiki 2009-05-28 09:04 ]

On 2009-05-27 18:17, Mambo wrote:
doing a pre-hukilau warm up friday june 5.
any fla ohana gonna be there....

Where?

This Friday at the Yankee Clipper happy hour - yes!

I'm one that has a birthday June 12th. Looking for it to be one of the best ever. My first Hukilau. I won't say how old I'm going to be. I feel about thirty but my wife says I act like a teenager (on my good days).

PI

In the 2 week countdown!

On 2009-05-28 15:41, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
I'm one that has a birthday June 12th. Looking for it to be one of the best ever. My first Hukilau. I won't say how old I'm going to be. I feel about thirty but my wife says I act like a teenager (on my good days).

Two words.... "Spanking Tunnel!"

On 2009-05-29 04:58, Bohemiann wrote:

Careful Bohemiann, you'll get Rugbymatt excited!

New artwork just arrived for the
POLY POP LIVING ((Fine Art Show))
during HUKILAU 2009 !

TIKI BOB IN THE JAZZ AGE
11" x 14"
Enamel on Board
by Sam Gambino

RELIC ON CASS AVENUE
11"x 14"
by Sam Gambino

TIKI BEACH BETTY
Acrylic and Ink on Paper
9.5"x 12.5"
by Rod North
$450

PROTEK YA TINGS
9"x40"x3"
Carved in Florida Mahogany
by Tom Fowner
$600

PI

I'm ready. I want to pack right now and go a week early.

I wish that I had a Black Magic in my hand RIGHT NOW (although it's early)

...And a good time wad has by all..

Well, we started off Hukilau Week at the Mai Kai with a flaming Russian Roulette. Click the link to see the video.
(Caution: video contains several adult expletives, an witticism, and a modified verse from an 80's song with references to a roof being on fire and the lack of necessity for water to put it out, which contains the F-word...this video is totally unsuited for anybody OTHER than tikiphiles, truck drivers, construction workers, and reformed evangelical Druids)
If coarse language offends you, DON'T CLICK ON THE FREAKING LINK!!!!
Otherwise, I think you will want to wait for the end of the night, when just a few souls are left, and join us for one of these bad-boys. (Tastes like a lemonhead.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/conchchowder/3603112376/

R

On 2009-05-29 09:54, Hinano_Paul wrote:

On 2009-05-29 04:58, Bohemiann wrote:

Careful Bohemiann, you'll get Rugbymatt excited!

Too late! heh-heh-heh!

HAWAII FIVE 0 AT THE HAWAIIAN ISLE
20"x 24"
Mixed Media on Canvas
by Ken Bernstein
$ 450.00

THE CASTAWAYS AT THE CASTAWAYS
16"x 20"
mixed Media on Canvas
by Ken Bernstein
$ 425.00

ELVIS JUNGLE ROOM 360 VIRTUAL TOUR
35"x 5 1/2'
Mixed Media on Wood
Ken Bernstein
$ 325.00

Have a Blast at the Hukilau this year,Folks!

the Mai-Kai ROCKS!

We're all set up and ready to go. The poolside decor must be seen to be believed. See everyone at the art show premiere tonight or elsewhere over the weekend.

Hurricane Hayward

Wow! That was fun!

Mixed a bit over six gallons of rum and poured almost all of it in an hour and half.... and that was just in room 244!

Red Palms Rock! FOM Rocks! Its good to be Moai!

L

if i was there the last thing i would be doing is spending time ONLINE!

go drink!!

S

On 2009-06-11 21:18, leleliz wrote:
if i was there the last thing i would be doing is spending time ONLINE!

go drink!!

Yeah, what Liz said!!! Report back post-hangover, fer cryin' out loud!

is there a Live Stream ??

(for us that can't be there?? arrr!!!)

Room 118 served 4 gallons of punch (almost 200 drinks) in approximately 2 hours. Thirsty beggars! Arrrrrrr!

Here's some photos from Night #1!

http://picasaweb.google.com/reynolds.ray/2009Hukilau#slideshow/

Great event so far, looking forward to tonight.

Thanks for posting. Would love to be there. Have a drink (or forty) for me.

anybody get pics of the art???

Anybody reads this and sees rugbymatt, tell him to check his PM's at FOM. I have his rum and water and I left my number in his mailbox.

M
Mambo posted on Fri, Jun 12, 2009 3:08 PM

Ray great pics! thanks for posting so quick.
The TC ohana is the best, had a blast!
See you guys tonite.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm friggin missin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone take some pics/footage of Los Straitjackets for me!
AhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

S
squid posted on Sat, Jun 13, 2009 3:30 AM

On 2009-06-12 06:57, TikiMango wrote:
Here's some photos from Night #1!

http://picasaweb.google.com/reynolds.ray/2009Hukilau#slideshow/

Great event so far, looking forward to tonight.

Hey Ray!I see why you defected to the right coast now...

Behave yourself!

JB

On 2009-06-13 03:30, squid wrote:

I see why you defected to the right coast now...

You mean..as seen from space?

I see Derek Yaniger SOLD out!!!! Why didn't anyone snag the Sam Gambino's yet? Don't wait or I will take them away from you all!!!

Great art show!!!!! Thanks for showing them on the website!!!

MORE PICS (TIKI) GOD DAMMIT!!!

Ben, you KNOW everyone over there is too DRUNK to post anything right now. That even a few of them can type a note on TC is a miracle. (And cheery Alohas to you all from Kari!)

P
Pyro posted on Sat, Jun 13, 2009 10:27 PM

I really wish I could have made it to the Hukilau this year, and am looking foward to everyones pics.

also, I was at the Richard Cheese show in Orlando tonight, when discussing his upcoming Tiki Album he did say he was looking foward to the Hukilau next year. Just another reason I should start saving my pennies to go to Hukilau 2010.

MT

I received drunken phone calls from the Molokai Bar at the Mai Kai tonight. Sounds like folks are having good times at Hukilau! Ah, if only to be at the Molokai Bar as well. Have a krazee kind of kuku time there, kids!

On 2009-06-14 01:04, Mai Tai wrote:
I received drunken phone calls from the Molokai Bar at the Mai Kai tonight. Sounds like folks are having good times at Hukilau! Ah, if only to be at the Molokai Bar as well. Have a krazee kind of kuku time there, kids!

It was everything you could imagine and more. Too bad the AC crapped out and we sweltered...but the women remaind absolutely beautiful! The bands, the food, the drink.

We left the Mai Kai at 3:15 AM after singing Happy Birthday to Dave Levy, watching him play the turquoise tiki. After dropping off my frienda at the Cabana, I went to Primanti Brothers and ran into King Kukulele on his way back to LA and Boodoo the Molokai bartender going for an after-work slice.

Happy Birthday Dave and thanks for a great time (as always).

T

a great thread from the 50th Ann.
Mai Kai

S

Mmmmmmystery Drink....

A very nice weekend. But hot! Talked to lots of new folks and was glad to meet them all.

The Mai Kai looks fantastic! Sad to find out the big guy in the gardens collapsed last week. The service was excellent, even during the crazy happy hour Saturday. And the drinks were excellent, even during the crazy happy hour Saturday...

TK

it was a smokin weekend. this was my 1st but not my last. what more could you ask for???? great people, great place, great drinks, absolutly flipping rocking bands and dancers and mermaids and vendors. the mai kai was more than i expected. great great great time.

did i mention it was a great time????

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies