Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Official Announcement - Hukilau 2009 June 11 - 14!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies

On 2009-06-14 14:32, talo ka wrote:
what more could you ask for????

Hmm, how about some pictures?

P
phinz posted on Sun, Jun 14, 2009 2:54 PM

Thanks Phinz!

Great pictures.

I added a few more to my photo dump-

http://picasaweb.google.com/reynolds.ray/2009Hukilau#slideshow/

I had a blast, and brought along a good friend that was a tiki virgin. By the time we checked out, he was already telling me what we'll be serving at next years Room Crawl! Everyone was great, and besides the sweltering heat, things were awesome. I got to meet a lot of new people, and finally put some faces to names. Thanks to all.

Our camera took a boot to the head at sometime over the weekend so we didn't get that many pix....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chipandandy/sets/72157619652541029/

great pics.
does anyone know the name of the lady in this pic from the mango collection; http://picasaweb.google.com/reynolds.ray/2009Hukilau#5346431839671262818... she gave me her email so i could give her a recipe for pb-bacon bread but i lost it that night...thanks for any leads...i hate to flake

[ Edited by: the_taurus 2009-06-14 20:01 ]

Wow...great pix. The detailed shots of the Mai Kai are fabulous. THANX!!!!

The Taurus, the girl's name is Danielle, and the guy's name is Marcos. You can probably get into contact with her through him, his site is http://www.marcosarivera.com.

P

That stage area looks fantastic. Who did the work on that?
If I were king - of the cabana - I'd keep that thing there all year.

My wife and I had a great time, as did our friends. We were only able to attend Saturday, but we made the most of it, buying a few things from the vendors/artists and having a couple drinks in the Molokai Bar. I am hoping to make plans for next year, to do much more. Thanks to everyone who made this event so much fun!

thank you mango

For the first time this year I got to convince most of my friends to attend the event and they all had a great time. A great big Thank You! :) to TikiKiliki and all the volunteers for making this such a great event every year! Your hard work and dedication shined at every venue! Although this way beyond the first time at the Mai Kai for me, it was the first time for all my friends at our table. They were completely blown away by the place, the drinks, the food, the show and the Tiki's. We'll be back next year!

P.S. I was wondering, do they sell more Mystery Drinks at the Mai Kai at this one event than all they sell in 6 months?

T

Guess this tiki events are just for 'white people' just saw one black person whole weekend?

Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone that came to The Hukilau this year. I had a blast and will post some of the more "interesting" details later. After unpacking all of my stuff I noticed that I had my camera with me all weekend and not take one picture! Please post what you have as long as it doesn't get me in trouble. It was a hot weekend in more ways than one - I'm REALLY glad that it didn't rain!!! I'm already looking forward to next year.

L

On 2009-06-15 09:09, Trestiki wrote:
Guess this tiki events are just for 'white people' just saw one black person whole weekend?

Last I checked it was a free event where anyone regardless of race was invited to participate. Please explain to me where your thinking is at that you would even post such a comment on a public forum and make unfounded accusations/observations.

Try thinking before you type there Trestiki.

so lame.

BACK to the thread topic...
glad to see that everyone had a great time regardless of the blasted Florida heat and humidity. AT least everyone looks "shiny" and happy in the pics!

P
phinz posted on Mon, Jun 15, 2009 9:35 AM

also, I was at the Richard Cheese show in Orlando tonight, when discussing his upcoming Tiki Album he did say he was looking foward to the Hukilau next year.

Just don't shoot video, apparently. His Coverville 500 antics were enough to turn me off on his music.

[ Edited by: phinz 2009-06-15 09:35 ]

Hey folks, this was me and mine's first Hukilau and really my first tiki shindig ever and I had a blast being in the midsts of it all. I feel indoctrinated now and will most certainly return next year and try to get to other events as well.

I've got photos up on flickr now - enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daleghent/sets/72157619678203067/

/dale

[ Edited by: Dr. Strangerum 2009-06-15 10:59 ]

Pablus -i heard the cabana is doing just that- making the pool/stage area more fully tikified, with big tikis/bamboo, etc.
what a great time! thanks so much TK and everyone involved!!! mahalo nui!!

P

The tiki community is well-known for its bigotry and hate.
That's why I joined.

Great pictures Dale and thanks for taking pictures of Jeff Berry's Mai Tai seminar!

Pablus.....

Andy had it all ready for you!

P

Ha. Yeah, I left a note on your flicker on that one.
That's my favorite shot of the weekend and I know when I'm being baited. :wink:

FRESH MINT!!!

On 2009-06-15 11:51, pablus wrote:

Ha. Yeah, I left a note on your flicker on that one.
That's my favorite shot of the weekend and I know when I'm being baited. :wink:

FRESH MINT!!!

And Pablus knows all about Baiting, he's a Master at it!

P

That's a full degree less than a Doctor, Dr. :wink:

1. Great time as usual. Mahalo to all those who officially and unofficially made the event so much fun.

2. Pablus, you were missed my friend.

3. Trestiki, WTF?

To all Tikiphiles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all that missed this years Hukilau, here's a little something for you.

Warning!!!!!!! This may offend some people.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qJl9qCB_pHx0qA2e_I37hg?authkey=Gv1sRgCJW6kdqt74auJQ&feat=directlink

We had a great time at the Hukilau. First the room crawl, Mahalo! to all the Hosts. The Art show was fantastic, very cool. Then the Kickoff party with Marina the Mermaid, The KING ,and the Intoxicators rocked!!!! We missed the seminars and the TIKKI Beach, but we didn't miss the Haole Kats or the Los Staitjackets. Loved the "Tikimentary" screening, but it was a little crowded. The Bikini Beachcombers with Lady Poi were a great prelude to the Newly restored Mai-Kai. Met
a lot of fun people this time around. We even had my 86 year old Father-in-Law join in the fun. See you guys next year!!!

Here's some photos of the event:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tikimikefl/6152009?authkey=Gv1sRgCJW6kdqt74auJQ#slideshow

On 2009-06-15 10:34, Chip and Andy wrote:
Pablus.....

Andy had it all ready for you!

Is that a mint pie?

This is for PABLUS. You had a question about the stage.
The stage area is permanent. It was built by Scott Schultz of Tropical Tiki Huts. I met him on Friday at the Cabana. He left some business cards on one of the vendor tables, but he's done working there. I think he did a great job on the stage hut. The tikis were from Unique Rabbit.com. If you need any more info I can provide it for you. I wish I got the job building the hut, because the Cabana needs a lot of work still.

Aloha, Tiki Mike
Tiki Hut and Bar Builder

Mrs. BH and I had a great time and enjoyed meeting all youse.

The rest of my poorly lit and out-of-focus pictures are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_bali_hai/sets/72157619620008118/

Me and the Mrs. just got back - our first Hukilau, and definitely not our last. We had such a great time and we met so many great people and drank so many great drinks. Can't wait to do it again.

After seeing Dr. Strangerum's amazing photos, I think I'll delete all of mine. Great job on those.

/justin

K

Another fabulous Hukilau! Kudos to Tiki Kiliki, Amy, Liz, Bargoyle, Basement Kahuna. Beachbum Berry, Jeff, Shelley and everyone who helps make the magic happen.

Here are just a few pics of our experience - the rest are up on Facebook. Enjoy!

What a blast! A few hundred of my closest friends and Poly Pop relatives and Brooke and straightjackets and swell bands and go-go dancers and mermaids and Mai Kai and room crawls and late night ocean swims with inflatable pools full of hooch and exotica and rums and bums.. I've never seen so much media interest nationally in Hukilau as this year; I mean it's everywhere now, and that truly speaks volumes. I even saw Richard Cheese walking around!! Everybody say Kiiiiiiiillllliiiiikkkkkkiiii! A good time wad has by all.

Aloha,

First time poster. I was down at the Hukilau this weekend with the Bikini Beachcombers and Lady Poi. This was the first time that Lady Poi and I came to Hukilau. We had an amazing time. Thanks to all the great folks we met while down there, your hospitality was appreciated. We are already making arrangements to come down next year.

Here are a bunch of pictures that I took. Enjoy.

http://tinyurl.com/hukilau2009

Mahalo,

MaiTaiMitch

Right on!

S
squid posted on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 2:03 AM

On 2009-06-15 21:26, Basement Kahuna wrote:
What a blast! A few hundred of my closest friends and Poly Pop relatives and Brooke and straightjackets and swell bands and go-go dancers and mermaids and Mai Kai and room crawls and late night ocean swims with inflatable pools full of hooch and exotica and rums and bums.. I've never seen so much media interest nationally in Hukilau as this year; I mean it's everywhere now, and that truly speaks volumes. I even saw Richard Cheese walking around!! Everybody say Kiiiiiiiillllliiiiikkkkkkiiii! A good time wad has by all.

Damn! Sounds like I missed a bunch of fun. But at least I didn't have to hear you snore again.

:)

V

Only made it to the Mai Kai Saturday for the dinner and show--but how fantastic was that! The Hukilau crowd was great, food and drinks top notch, as usual. Sorry I missed all of the other events, but maybe next year. You guys know how to have a good time!!! What energy was in the Mai Kai--I need to go back and take a longer look at the restaurant--there were too many people in the Molokai Bar to actually see it. How great!! Thanks and see you next year!

P

The pics are great everyone. Mahalo for sharing them with those of us who couldn't come down... or up.

Sabu is the most hilariousest of them all.

Note: Basement Kahuna does not snore. Unless I overdo it at ze bar.

On 2009-06-14 14:54, phinz wrote:
Unedited pictures. Not all are loaded on Flickr yet. I still have about 1000 or so pictures to go through.

Wow... those are excellent! Thanks for posting!

On 2009-06-15 09:09, Trestiki wrote:

You have got to be kidding right?

The entire tiki movement in my humble opinion was based on the Polynesian people, lifestyle, and culture the GI's were trying to bring to the good ol' USA, and obviously Polynesian people would not be considered "white people" so how one would think its just for white people is beyond me. I am sure as in all large groups of people there are forms of bigotry but I for one who has been to most every tiki event there is have not seen it. The only people that I see that have been segregated so to speak are the people who act like Jacka**es and color has nothing to do with that for sure. As far as I am concerned all are welcome.

Sorry if I offended anyone and I apologize to the JA's of the world for singling you out.

Thanks to Tiki Kiliki and all the folks who helped make another successful Hukilau. Is it time for Hukilau 2010 yet?

PS: No thanks to all the arseholes who felt entitled to crowd the stage to the detriment of everyone else trying to enjoy the show. Do that next year, be prepared to take a dip in the pool. Fair warning.

On 2009-06-16 09:03, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Note: Basement Kahuna does not snore. Unless I overdo it at ze bar.

Sheeeeeeeit. We heard you all the way from the Baliday Inn, dude.

On 2009-06-16 14:12, Pahoehoe Ule wrote:
PS: No thanks to all the arseholes who felt entitled to crowd the stage to the detriment of everyone else trying to enjoy the show. Do that next year, be prepared to take a dip in the pool. Fair warning.

This was pretty much my only beef with the Hukilau festivities. I left the Bahia before the Haole Kats finished their set and skipped Los Straitjackets completely because I couldn't see the performers at all thanks to everyone who was crowding the stage. Fortunately, I got to meet Daddy O'Grande in the hotel elevator, so the evening wasn't a complete waste.

Next year, please stage the bands someplace other than in front of the pool!

P
phinz posted on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 3:58 PM

I was in front of the stage for about 10 minutes, trying to take a couple of pictures and enjoy the show (I firmly believe in shoot, shoot, move), but after my toes were stepped on about a bajillion times, I went to the restaurant for some clam strips.

The Haole Kats stole the show for me anyway. What a shredfest!

[ Edited by: phinz 2009-06-16 16:03 ]

My wife and I had a great time at the Hukilau. I really enjoyed meeting Andy and Chip, Bargoyle, RugbyMatt, Shell of the Pacific, Orchid, Tiki Bob and Brenda.

It was great to again see TikiKiliki, King Kukulele, and the folks I met last year.

Everything about it was fantastic. Sure, I agree that people shouldn't have crowded the stage during the Los Straightjackets show.

The Tikimentary was fantastic.

The Room Crawl was fantastic. I tipped with $5 bills and I hope that the hosts got a lot of their expenses back. The Room Crawl is a great idea.

On 2009-06-16 14:12, Pahoehoe Ule wrote:
Thanks to Tiki Kiliki and all the folks who helped make another successful Hukilau. Is it time for Hukilau 2010 yet?

Now now, to be fair I don't think every one of those in front of the stage were there just to hang out and ignore the band playing.

Bum #1: Man, screw the hotel room, I feel like hanging by the pool for the evening.
Bum #2: Yeeeah!
Bum #3: Sooo there!
Bum #56: Hey, lets all cram ourselves between the pool and that tiki hut thing with the colored lights. BTW, what's that loud noise and dorks in the masks all about??

I have a hunch - just a hunch - that there was just a metric *@!#ton of people jazzed to see LS play and with the pool and deck chairs in the way and all there wasn't much solid ground to accommodate. One of those deck chairs consumes about 15 sqft of real-estate, with one, maybe two people occupying it. And it's not like the pool could have been moved off to the side.

Maybe a better place in terms of capacity would have been the bar/dock area in back with most of the tables and chairs moved aside, but who knows what the logistics and cost of that would have been.

Anyway, I had a great time. The sound system was way more than I expected - well-ran and clean.

/dale

[ Edited by: Dr. Strangerum 2009-06-16 16:50 ]

K

I was delayed in Dallas for 9 hours due to weather, missed my connection in Atlanta and didn't get to the Cabana until 1am so I missed Hukilau Day One in it's entirety. Yeah, I was pissed.

The Bum's seminar was fantastic as were the drink samples that were handed out.

The bands always play by the pool at the Cabana. That's where there's the most room. All I can say is with a band like Los Straitjackets, people are going to crowd the front to get as close as they can. That's just how it is. I couldn't see them AT ALL, so I found an abandoned beach chair, sipped on my Painkiller and just enjoyed the music. Loved it.

$9.50 for a poorly made Mai Tai at that bar? Really? We made a trip to the liquor store.

A lot of unfamiliar faces this year. I didn't see a lot of the people I'm used to seeing. Not a bad thing, just different. Anyone know who that was that got arrested Friday night?

I didn't take many pics this year because I hate lugging my camera around while I'm trying to have fun. Did manage to get these in the Mai Kai garden:

The lovely Koitiki. My favorite pic from the weekend.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies