Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Should Tiki Central be stripped of any lead based paints?

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies

Would the strict preservationists of Tiki Central prefer that all the site's surfaces which are covered in lead based paint be left as is and remain, as Troy McClure put it, "delicious but deadly"? Would their boxers get bunched if we were to restore these surfaces with safer options?

I fully understand that Tiki Central for some is about tradition and one of those traditions is our famous green background. The green background was originally painted in 1962 by Hanford Lemoore using Plumbum's Olde 82 Painte because, as he told NPR in 1983 for a never aired interview, "I wanted the gawdam thing to gawdam last!"

Plumbum's Olde 82 was a famously tough brand of paint made with 90% lead. The paint had to be heated to a molten state before being applied and most large indoor projects using Plumbum's generally resulted in a few deaths from fumes or spilled pots of molten paint.

In 1974 Plumbum's Olde 82 was banned by an international treaty which was signed with much fanfare and releasing of balloons at the World's Fair in Spokane Washington, Expo 74.

Technically any building, object, or artwork painted with Plumbum's Olde 82 Painte qualifies as an EPA Superfund Site and is eligible for tens of thousands of pounds of dirt to be piled on top of it. Or they'll send you a few sheets of sandpaper and a couple bandannas to tie around your face.

Tiki Central could be stripped of lead based paint or left as it is since most of us are at least half way to the grave already. Either way the important part is that we have a long drawn out wordy debate about it first.

Amen Brother Woof,

I tried removing some of the lead-based paint from the Collecting forum with a hot-air gun. I forgot to wear a filter mask and after inhaling the smoke for awhile, I began to see Tikis. Big Albino Tikis. With tacos for legs.

So now I'm in a Catch-22. I want to be true to the original lead-based surfaces of Tiki Central, but I know that the removal of lead-based paint promotes Tiki. I have a feeling this is a debate that can't be won.

Its so unfair why are poisons so damn tasty, lead yummy, arsenic tastes of almonds, Strychnine like chocolate and plutonium - Angles kisses.

B

Sir Woof,

Personally, I rather like the Plumbum's 82 in "Green" as an official color for this Site. and it should not be stripped from this Site no matter how much lead is in it. Give me a lead lollipop I always say....However, one must not forget that if it weren't for Plumbum's 82 in "Yellow" and Plumbum's 82 in "Blue"...Plumbum's 82 in "Green" would have never existed in the first place. So, can Plumbum's 82 in "Yellow", and Plumbum's 82 in "Blue" be discussed on this Site that is devoted totally to Plumbum's 82 in "Green"? I say sure....Just make sure you are talking about the union of those two colors when addressing them.

So...this whole topic really razes another issue for me. I just can't help it...I am intrigued with the concept of juxtaposing Plumbum's 82 in "Green" next to Plumbum's 82 in "Red"....it makes me all creamy like...you know... Humm, do you think anyone else will see Plumbum's 82 in "Green" juxtaposed to Plumbum's 82 in "Red" as being as complementary as I do? What say if I called it..."Christmas"? Do you think people would celebrate it, and maybe even run out and buy it? ...Most likely not....oh well, heh...heh.....

Why worry?? I ate lots of lead based paint chips as a kid, and I'm perfectly normal.

On 2009-01-25 01:37, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

I tried removing some of the lead-based paint from the Collecting forum with a hot-air gun. I forgot to wear a filter mask and...

You're not supposed to use a hot-air gun?

I typically serve a lead-based spread at my Pica Parties. Since everyone is so gaga over the "going-green" thang, then the Plumbum's 82 in "Green" is the way to go. The BaBa Black #000000 is a subtle contrast and kinda 3Dish if you have had several Zombies.

D

vamp, i prefer Ripples Asbestos Chips.

K
KuKu posted on Sun, Jan 25, 2009 7:25 PM

On 2009-01-25 15:20, dogbytes wrote:

Hey, "asbestos" should be posted under its own thread, well unless lead based paint was used to cover an asbestos surface I suppose...

TM

I love you, Johnny Cakes.

On 2009-01-25 19:25, KuKu wrote:

On 2009-01-25 15:20, dogbytes wrote:

Hey, "asbestos" should be posted under its own thread, well unless lead based paint was used to cover an asbestos surface I suppose...

Would I post about my popcorn ceiling under that thread or this one? What if it's been painted with lead-based paint? This intertwining will not do....

is this satire?

I Pickle they.

"is this satire?" -little lost tiki-

I think it could be considered somewhat tired but not satire...Though pert near all of us are "fond of lechery and drunken merriment."

Oh, wait, that's satyr.

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 12:15 PM

On 2009-01-26 11:38, woofmutt wrote:
"is this satire?" -little lost tiki-

I think it could be considered somewhat tired but not satire...Though pert near all of us are "fond of lechery and drunken merriment."

Oh, wait, that's satyr.

merriment nothing to me, she was just a...

And now, the BACK side of water......

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 1:49 PM

I have no opinion on whether we should keep the lead based paint or not.

I've found that it's much easier to just wait around until somebody ELSE has an opinion about it, then - get this - agree with them. That way you can look exactly as smart as they are without doing any actual work!

It doesn't matter if the other person's opinion is right or wrong, you can always switch to a different, more recent, better informed opinion and seem like you've been actually pondering the facts the whole time. Either way, you can't lose!

So ... Woofmutt's right!

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 2:08 PM

zactly cammo, one luv... :tiki:

W

"I've found that it's much easier to just wait around until somebody ELSE has an opinion about it, then...agree with them." -Cammo-

I like it.

Here are some other good strategies I have learned:

•Ignore the subject all together.

•Ignore the topic and just post whatever you feel like.

•Ignore the forest and just go off about one tree in particular.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 3:05 PM

These are all excellent strategies if you don't have an opinion, another few that work every time:

• Deny that people should be discussing the topic. This makes you look "above the discussion", and therefore win it without having to research anything.

• Attack something that was meant as a joke originally. Most people understand that it was a joke, but the few that don't will agree with you and after a while this vocal minority will clear the room of people who rightfully think they're humorless dweebs, leaving you alone with them - and thus forming a majority.

• Demand to see the other person's credentials. There is no "Opinion Credential" so they'll never really be able to produce one. Works every time.

• Pretend the other person doesn't understand your side of the arguement, over and over and over and over and over and over again.

• Treat other opinions as if they were thought up by sniveling poopy-panted 2 year olds.

• Only answer the most ridiculous, absurd objections to your arguement. Answer them convincingly. Answer them in extreme detail.

The above points work on ANY subject! It's fun! Try 'em!

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 3:14 PM

On 2009-01-26 15:05, Cammo wrote:

The above points work on ANY subject! It's fun! Try 'em!

Sorry Cammo, but I don't agree with fun...

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 3:48 PM

You guys really have me thinking about this Leaded Paint Question. I've been thinking about it so much I'm gonna write a history book! But - since I don't have any opinion of any kind about Leaded Vs. Non-Leaded Paint, the book will have to follow a certain format.

Namely;

1. There will be no bibliography.

2. Cram that book with photos. Writing will be kept at an absolute minimum.

3. There will be no 1st person interviews actually documented. I'll just interview a few people, then just describe the interview in the loosest possible terms. That way I can later claim the interview supports any view that becomes popular later.

4. Mention no specific dates.

5. No Primary Sources.

6. No Secondary Sources.

7. Make the whole back of the book Translations of the extremely short text. This is confusing and makes you look like you speak 18 langueges fluently.

8. Name it something BIG. Like, "History of Paint". Then you can say you wrote the definitive book on the .... well..., "History of Paint"!

9. Find some experts who actually know the history of paint, ask them all about it, write notes like crazy promising them that they will be the central characters in the book, then when the book actually hits the presses just mention them in teeny weeny type at the very back underneath the copyright information and those edition numbers that nobody reads anyway. Then don't answer your phone for about 6 months.

Again, this works on ANY subject! It's fun! Everybody try it except for Kuku!

I really do have popcorn ceilings that I think might be asbestos. And I'm eating a cream puff as I type this, if that helps any.

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 4:05 PM

Careful Cammo, KuKu is a licensed painting contractor and completely cuckoo from all the lead based paint dust and fumes...

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 4:09 PM

On 2009-01-26 16:04, Haole'akamai wrote:
I really do have popcorn ceilings that I think might be asbestos. And I'm eating a cream puff as I type this, if that helps any.

As a licensed painting contractor, I suggest stomping the floor a few times and wa-la, sprinkles for yer kreampuff...

popcorn?

i thought this thread was about LEAD....

now I'm really lost...

and it's obviously a faun,not a satyr....

On 2009-01-26 15:48, Cammo wrote:
You guys really have me thinking about this Leaded Paint Question. I've been thinking about it so much I'm gonna write a history book! But - since I don't have any opinion of any kind about Leaded Vs. Non-Leaded Paint, the book will have to follow a certain format.

Namely;

1. There will be no bibliography.

2. Cram that book with photos. Writing will be kept at an absolute minimum.

3. There will be no 1st person interviews actually documented. I'll just interview a few people, then just describe the interview in the loosest possible terms. That way I can later claim the interview supports any view that becomes popular later.

4. Mention no specific dates.

5. No Primary Sources.

6. No Secondary Sources.

7. Make the whole back of the book Translations of the extremely short text. This is confusing and makes you look like you speak 18 langueges fluently.

8. Name it something BIG. Like, "History of Paint". Then you can say you wrote the definitive book on the .... well..., "History of Paint"!

9. Find some experts who actually know the history of paint, ask them all about it, write notes like crazy promising them that they will be the central characters in the book, then when the book actually hits the presses just mention them in teeny weeny type at the very back underneath the copyright information and those edition numbers that nobody reads anyway. Then don't answer your phone for about 6 months.

Again, this works on ANY subject! It's fun! Everybody try it except for Kuku!

Wow, Cam, can you keep your twisted panties in the OTHER thread? :roll:
This one's for people with a sense of humor.

is Cammo Tiki?
:lol:

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 4:20 PM

"This one's for people with a sense of humor."

What exactly are your credentials?

I know when to let things go.

"should Tiki Central be stripped of anything resembling humor?"

Yes!
We should all follow GROG's lead....
:lol:

that's "lead" not "lead"...

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 5:24 PM

"Yes!
We should all follow GROG's lead.... "

Now THAT'S funny!

C

I wasn't intending to eat any Blowfish Testicles anytime soon, but thanks for the heads up on that one Lucas.

Wow, I just tried to ask a simple question, and you come back that that. I...

...I just don't know what to say.

Why (oh why!) do I even try?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 2:18 PM

*6/4/2006 Woofmutt wrote:

"I use Plumbum's Olde 82 almost every day. It works great and I think everybody should use it!"

4/9/2006 Woofmutt wrote:

"Lead paint doesn't make you sick. Go ahead, use it all you want!"

10/15/2007 Woofmutt wrote:

"Heck, I drink lead paint when I run out of beer! Hasn't done me any harm yet!"

7/20/2008 Woofmutt wrote:

"Lead schmed. Use it, it's just going on a wall! Who cares?"*

But Woofy, can you please explain this statement or yours:

1/20/2009 Woofmutt wrote:

"I have never said that a person should used leaded paint. Never ever. You are wrong. It would be ridiculous for me to say anything of the kind, you nitwit."

W

I would like to point out to the esteemed Mr Cammo from Califusa how quickly we forget what we have so often worked for in our collective goals, ideals, dreams, and dare I say day dreams for the very things which we all must agree are exactly the substance which we are all most proud of, that is to say the very essence of what truly makes us the people we are in this country of ours, in these times in which we live, love, and celebrate not only our collective beliefs and goals but our diversity and differences which may at times cause some difficulties and perhaps even some minor obstacles but which ultimately make us stronger, able to bend and weather the storms of change or adversity with a strength which a singular mindedness could never accomplish, in a manner that is only made possible by knowing ourselves in a way which can only come about from having so often having examined ourselves and asking openly or in secret whether we are all that we want ourselves to be for if we can not make it blossom and grow deep within our individual selves then how can we hope to see it happen in the world all around us?

W

Also, who does the parking validation here?

Three whole pages of crap!
I think this thread should be locked!

too many high falootin werdythings in your post woof!
Wake me up if anything exciting happens!
:)

On 2009-01-27 15:02, Unga Bunga wrote:

If that's the standard, then one would be unable to post to pretty much 2/3 of threads. It's in bilge anyway; I need my useless, drunken, crap-leaden threads. Plus I think Woofmutt's crap, especially, is pure gold.

On 2009-01-27 15:14, Haole'akamai wrote:

If that's the standard, then one would be unable to post to pretty much 2/3 of threads. It's in bilge anyway; I need my useless, drunken, crap-leaden threads. Plus I think Woofmutt's crap, especially, is pure gold.

I was quoting/kidding what they are presently saying on the "other" thread.

D

. Plus I think Woofmutt's crap, especially, is pure gold.

i thought his poo was lead-based.

On 2009-01-27 15:31, Unga Bunga wrote:

I was quoting/kidding what they are presently saying on the "other" thread.

Cripes, and I know you in real life, But, you're right. I took it to close to the real there. My bad. Anyway, I stopped reading the other thread about 8 pages back. Can I be offended anyway?

By the way, I meant to say pure comedy gold. I mean, "crap as gold", that's a whole 'nother website...

O

I spent the last twenty minutes reading this? When there are things like illegal turkey bowling going on, don't you think time could be better spent trying to stop it?
You people need a life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwGT56aHBXI

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 4:37 PM

These are all excellent strategies if you don't have an opinion, another that works every time:

• Deny that people should be discussing the topic. This makes you look "above the discussion", and therefore win it without having to research anything.

But nobody ever listens to Cammo....

T

On 2009-01-27 16:37, Cammo wrote:

These are all excellent strategies if you don't have an opinion, another that works every time:

But nobody ever listens to Cammo....

This thread is about Lead Paint right? So shouldn't we be discussing the merits of lead based versus ecologically friendly paint and why we should "go green" and earth friendly here on TC? Instead of using a potentially harmful and brain damaging paint? Goodness knows there are enough other products out there that cause brain damage that are much more enjoyable and techinically most of them are a less bilious green.

Oh & I don't think this topic requires discussion only action! Ban Lead Paint from TC I say!

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies